Killzone 2 Valor Cross, another possibility

Xanomead

There are many people desperately trying to earn this trophy, I luckily did it sometime ago, but I think that scrambling over each other is going to result in a lot of disappointment.

I think this may be a better solution, contact Guerilla games and ask if they could simply use a script to add more names onto the leaderboards. It might not be possible for them, but I think it's worth a try.

Contact them here.

https://www.guerrilla-games.com/contact

Here is an email I have sent them as an example.

Hi Guerilla guys and girls,

With the Killzone 2 & 3 server shutdowns happening very soon many people are desperately trying to earn all the online trophies for these games. The difficult one though is for scoring within the top 1% for the week, the Valor Cross trophy.

I and many others only buy games and their DLC if it's possible to earn all trophies for the entire series.

So if I was unable to earn this 1% trophy I would be unlikely to purchase Killzone Shadowfall and the Season Pass.

I am wondering if it would be possible for a script to add maybe 10,000 - 1000,000 names and scores to the leaderboards before the shutdown, thus making enough positions available in the top 1% for everyone trying to earn this trophy to get it.

It'd make a lot of people very thankful, and in many cases result in people purchasing Killzone Shadowfall and the Season pass.

Thank you.

• Like 1

well this would be nice if GG decided to do this. The whole point of the 1% was to be in the top 1%. changing it now would honestly make it meaningless, im sure when whoever made that trophy a trophy they figured "damn yo, imagine how proud and badass youd be to get in the top 1%" changing trophies on the fly kinda makes trophies pointless imo. Not to mention the fact the game has been out for 35 thousand years. If someone REALLY wanted that top 1% they had a lifetime to get it. Again would be cool, just putting in my 2 cents.

• Like 3

People seem to be taking this the wrong way, seemingly on purpose.

I myself am not worried about this trophy as I have it. But I will avoid buying a game or series if it has an unobtainable.

It is not at all a threat. Merely a fact about my own purchasing habits. 

It is also not the main point of the email I sent, which was sent merely in the hopes of helping those scrambling for the trophy.

They dont answer back. I tried contact trough all form communications - Facebook, form from site and i even call him to office, try get support contact (first time i called to foreign company =) , this a record, without my "perfect" english https://yadi.sk/d/VUnMa3Ov3ShsZm ) In general, i have complains on bad KZ3 servers work, but i dont give anything back.

If someone REALLY wanted that top 1% they had a lifetime to get it.

Not really. I dont even try  get this trophies now, but i had my PS3 only in 2016 =) And bought KZ3 only in the end of 2017. I am not really trophies hunter, so, i dont rush with that game, wait right mood and i thought first end KZ1, before i play in KZ2 and KZ3 =)

Edited by Vasilij_Kozlov

I don’t care either way as well since I already have 100% in both Killzone 2 and 3. But if emailing and asking them to make a trophy easier or you won’t purchase their games isn’t an idle threat what is it? Also it wasn’t a fact about just your purchasing habits, you said “I and many others” meaning you were making claims on behalf of ‘many people’. Not that contacting them is going to make a lick of difference as the game is all but dead at this point with only 4 weeks remaining till server shutdown. Plus if they haven’t bothered fixing the servers so they function properly for the last couple of years they won’t be doing anything to change the trophies.

• Like 1

I know you had good intentions when you started this thread, but I agree with @FilmFanatic here. The claim that this could lead to people buying Shadowfall is preposterous. You claim this based on what? Do you realize that trophy hunters are a drop in the ocean of players? And even so, how can you tell even those few people would be more willing to buy Shadowfall because the developers "helped them out"?

Besides, let's be real here: game development is hard, hard work. I'm sure Guerrilla is too busy to care with the multiplayer of a 9 year old game due to other things they are certainly working on. And no one can blame them for that.

Finally, if anyone was that late to the party, the least they should have done is tackling the MP as soon as they acquired the game before the shutdown announcement. When I bought MK vs DC on the beginning of 2014, it was the first thing I did, because I knew the servers couldn't possibly last long. A few months later, shutdown was announced.

I personally find pleading to the devs at this point not only pointless, but almost transferring the responsibility for something you chose not to do when you should have to them. And penalizing the dev by not buying their future games because they are shuttting down a server for a game that's almost a decade old? Really?

Edited by fabmorais_2011
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Xanomead said:

So if I was unable to earn this 1% trophy I would be unlikely to purchase Killzone Shadowfall and the Season Pass.

Saying stuff like this gives gamers a bad name.... It's an unfortunate byproduct of capitalism where people stomp their feet in stores until the manager bows down before them and gives in to demands with false beliefs that "the customer is always right".... its sickening. 

Trophy hunters are not the primary demographic for games.  Most people will play the single player campaigns or multiplayer, they don't care about trophies.

Trophy hunters are a very very very small fraction.

It's time to move on and go play the newer games out there, get a PS4. 

3 hours ago, Xanomead said:

People seem to be taking this the wrong way, seemingly on purpose.

No, it was your very own words.  Proofread, read it out loud to yourself, think about what others might think when reading it. 

Maybe your intentions were good but it's unrealistic to get them to patch. 

2 hours ago, Vasilij_Kozlov said:

They dont answer back. I tried contact trough all form communications - Facebook, form from site and i even call him to office, try get support contact (first time i called to foreign company =) , this a record, without my "perfect" english https://yadi.sk/d/VUnMa3Ov3ShsZm ) In general, i have complains on bad KZ3 servers work, but i dont give anything back.

Servers cost money to keep running. 

PS3 is dead.  It's time to move on and play newer games. 

These companies need to close them at some point and they always want players playing the latest and greatest they have available and still 'actively' support. 

Patching costs money and development time... and with how many years have passed by most of these devs have gone to other studios or quit or moved on, etc. so you don't even have the original people to come back and work on their old code.  That's just the reality of it. 

Edited by DARKB1KE

I don't really feel like arguing with people here, but a script that just loops and increments a value while adding another entry to the leaderboards is likely no more than a five to ten minute job. So while trophy hunters are a small section of the gaming population the investment to pad out the leaderboards is small enough that even a few sales of Shadowfall and the DLC that could result from it may make financial sense.

People continue to take what I've said in the worst possible way, as though I am acting like some imagined self entitled American stereotype. I neither feel self entitled nor am I American. I have already stated that I have the trophy, I also recently took over for my friend while he slept so he could be assured of getting this trophy.

To perhaps help clarify, The Witcher and Witcher II are not available on PlayStation, so eventually when I purchase The Witcher III, I'll also purchase I and II on PC to experience the story. If they had been on PlayStation though and had trophies that were now unobtainable due to a server shutdown I would avoid those, at least I would certainly avoid adding their trophies to my main account, and in general I'll avoid the money and time investment if I don't have trophies to motivate myself.

And yes, I realise I am a minority among an already minority of gamers. Hell, I don't even renew the free PS+ games as I prefer to own physical copies, or if a game is digital only I prefer to not have it tied to a subscription.

Edited by Xanomead

22 hours ago, Vasilij_Kozlov said:

Yeah,i understand that, but if they dont closed yet - they must work fine. I spend hours just for connect to online. It's not ok " well, we will closed servers in few month, they work bad, so why we must care?"

Of course they work "fine" but the game is at it's end cycle.  The developers own website say it's time to retire the game.  You need to think of this as a business and expenditures of running a server for this long.  At some point you are losing profits if the incoming sales are not exceeding costs.  So you cut costs where it makes sense and that's retiring old games and older products.  I think people are not thinking of this as a business and how they operate, or maybe they have zero experience running a business or having a job. 

As we near the end of the online lifecycle for Killzone 2 and Killzone 3, we’d like to express how grateful we are for all the support and feedback we’ve received from the community over the last eight years.

18 hours ago, Xanomead said:

I don't really feel like arguing with people here, but a script that just loops and increments a value while adding another entry to the leaderboards is likely no more than a five to ten minute job.

This is precious time taken away from other projects they may be assigned to such as newer games that have deadlines and investor pressures.  I don't know about you but I would be pissed if someone was wasting time with that instead of getting their job done.  

For example, would you rather people work on the upcoming game "Anthem" or spend time on 2009's Dragon Age Origins? 

18 hours ago, Xanomead said:

the investment to pad out the leaderboards is small enough that even a few sales of Shadowfall and the DLC that could result from it may make financial sense.

There is zero correlation between these.  A change to the leaderboard script is not going to have any significant value on their annual sales numbers. Sorry but you're in a dream world if you think it has any impact.  You might see a dent if you're talking thousands of dollars but one trophy hunter who won't buy their game because they didn't change the leaderboard means nothing to them.  http://www.vgchartz.com/article/271204/horizon-zero-dawn-tops-an-estimated-4-million-units-sold-worldwide-at-retail/

Edited by DARKB1KE

^^this is an incredibly stupid post.  It costs them pennies to run servers from a 2008 game, especially with the advances in server technology over the past 10 years.  With a day of maintenance, they could have the entirety of these servers downscaled to a mere few boxes in each region, and spending no more than 200-300 dollars total per year, per game.  Sony makes that money from PS PLUS accounts every 10 seconds.  So spare me with this nonsense.  They simply don't care for the product and don't want to hear the complaints that they have over the past 10 years.  Their servers are a well-known disaster (as were the WipeOut servers), and they want to give the the axe because they simply want them out of their hair.  Killzone 3's infrastructure was so poorly done that Guerrilla Games and Sony were sued by a trophy hunter because the game's server interaction with his trophies bricked his console, and his profile, when he played it at launch.  Level 25 (in 2011), poof.  Gone.  He had every right to sue.  They're a bunch of dunces. 

One large server per region, at each Sony server farm, could accommodate all the shutdown servers (Resistance, Killzone WipeOut), and then some.  Since few people play the games anymore, it'd be a simple downscale to a few boxes per server.  The servers would have to go offline for a few days (oh no!) and then it's done.  The RAM in the servers can be cranked as they need to be, as these games are old news and the data transfer is honestly negligible. 

The same could be said for the Original Xbox servers.  Phil is bringing OG Xbox Backwards Compatibility to the One, and yet he scoffed at the idea of bringing Live for the system back.  Do you have any idea how fucking cheap it would be nowadays to bring it back?  The technology is staggering, the infrastructure setup would only take a couple months, and I guarantee you one fucking modern day server, a big one (the ones worth 40K) per region could handle the entire thing, even at maximum load.  Data streaming has improved by Factors (FACTORS) since 2001.  It would be a cinch.  But they just. don't. care.  As you said, this is a business, and they could give a shit about their legacy, their games, and the functionality they promised at launch.  Buy the new ones!  Loot boxes are so fun!

Shit like this is why I've stopped buying games, ended my trophy obsession and have started to focus on the single-player experience exclusively.  These fucks can kill half of a game and its trophies in an instant, with little to no warning.  They put the trophies in knowing full well that they would be unobtainable in a few years' time.  They gave us 3 months for KZ2.  3 Months!  LOL.  I didn't even hear about it till the end of January, and by then it was already too late.  6K in early February got me nowhere close for this VGC.  What a crock of shit.  Half the game, gone.  Thanks for Playing!  Buy our new games!!!!!!!!!!!!

No thanks.  Not after that precedent is set.

I suggest everyone else do the exact same and kill your multiplayer trophy aspirations.  It's worthless to even try anymore, and as the "margins" grow ever tighter for these poor poor companies, more and more games are going to be shut down.  Hell, 2K is totally fine with bricking their games a year and a half (!!!) after release.  Seriously, 2/3rds of 2K becomes unplayable after a year and a fucking half.  And stupid children brought up on candy crush eat it up.  Disgraceful.

Give up.

Edited by XAGMNINETY
  • Like 1

U can try blowing up their blog that's used for improvement ideas & maybe they'll delay the shutdown lol https://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ this game is just too old tho and resources are better utilized elsewhere, it is the gamers' fault for waiting too long to obtain these online trophies. 

State how traumatizing it is that u only got a 3 months heads up on server closure and delaying it would improve the PlayStation experience LOLOL

Edited by oOMementoMoriOo
  • Like 1

I see there is debate how much it actually costs for Sony to keep up these servers, but think about it this way...

There are many, MANY games older than KZ2 that still have their game servers running....

For example Microsoft has still original Gears of War and Halo 3 servers up and running, from multiplatform games for example original BF: Bad Company and even something like original Lost Planet or Flatout Ultimate Carnage that like never had big playerbase still have their servers up and running....

And all of these games have been more or less "dead" for long while now, yet you can still play them online....

Now, I dont know exactly if for some of these games there is some kind of cheaper solution behind them to keep the servers up and running, even though almost no-one (aside from us trophy/achievement hunters) are playing them, but just wanted to point that thing out....

Now ofcourse on big difference between Sony and Microsoft /PS4 and Xbox One is that Microsoft is quite heavily putting effort on backwards compatibility with Halo 3 even receiving Xbox One X enchantments (up to 4K resolution, better textures and anti-aliasing), so they clearly see supporting their old games important, something that Sony clearly doesnt bother to do, since PS4 doesnt have ANY backwards compatibility to speak of...although I think this is much due to the fact that PS3's architecture (Cell processor) was stupidly built so different.

Edited by Balnazzardi

11 hours ago, DARKB1KE said:

Horrendous math, from so many angles, from someone who clearly doesn't work with this stuff. 

Most obviously, this takes into account the most recent games, such as WW2, that require hardware & bandwidth far more complex than games released on the last generation of consoles. Simple economies of scale- higher output (due to amazingly improved technology), massively reduced cost. They may have cost thousands of dollars /y at launch when they were semi-top of the line, but given a move to a modern server, the cost has tanked. The idea that game servers made for a console built in 2004 cost hundreds of thousands, even millions of dollars, today, with only 2K unique players at maximum and 500 people server load max,  is a concept so stupid I can't believe you even considered it. Come on now. 

More later, as I don't have time for this right now. 

Edited by XAGMNINETY

It makes me laugh that people expect a business to continue to provide something that costs money. If you had your own business and were spending your own time and money on something that only 1000ish people in the entire WORLD wanted to play would you seriously prioritise that over something new that could be played by hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions of people? Give me a break. The ps3 is coming to the end of its life cycle just as the ps1 and the ps2. It happens. The games 9 years old. If you expect the servers to be up forever you must be on drugs. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, XAGMNINETY said:

Non-answer, no counterpoint.  That's what I thought.

Smh

It backs up the original point, if you think that servers are so cheap to keep running, then why don't they? 

Answer:  They're not cheap and that's why it's coming to the end of it's lifetime.

I have no reason to counterpoint you because you're wrong on all angles you want to spin this. 

Exactly as turpinator says above ^

Very simple business logic. 

Businesses exist to make money.  If they are not making money then costs need to be cut somewhere.  It is not logical to put funds into a dead game with low players. 

Edited by DARKB1KE

On 01/03/2018 at 7:20 AM, XAGMNINETY said:

Killzone 3's infrastructure was so poorly done that Guerrilla Games and Sony were sued by a trophy hunter because the game's server interaction with his trophies bricked his console, and his profile, when he played it at launch.  Level 25 (in 2011), poof.  Gone.  He had every right to sue.  They're a bunch of dunces.   

If this is true I can honestly say it’s the most pathetic thing I’ve ever heard. And no, he didn’t have every right to sue.