Ps+ March 2018 (Bloodborne, Ratchet & Clank) + end of PS3/Vita PS+ in 2019

Gwendly

On 2/28/2018 at 5:05 PM, Matto_lsi said:

And since it's Sony we're talking about, I don't think it's even remotely likely that they will give us more than 2 games in the IGC.  The only reason the IGC was good before PS4 was because Sony was losing the console war and was doing everything it could to compete with Microsoft.  As long as Sony is winning, they like giving nothing back to their customers.  I fully expect them to go back to 2 random indie PS4 games too, and I expect them to cut PS3 and Vita network features.  You're free to disagree, the good news is we'll see who ends up being right in about a year.

Agreed. As I said (somewhat "tongue-in-cheek"ly, granted), Sony is at their best when they are taking things away, and not when they are giving them back. I don't know why a PS4, owner, who has no Vita or PS3, would expect that somehow, they would get extra PS4 games in exchange for removed PS3/Vita games, simply because those games were cross-buy previously.

Sony has brought us all on board the PS4 train now. I have zero expectation of any reward being given to me for the ending of Vita or PS3 titles (regardless of the fact that I own both). My only hope is that the last year sees some good IGC releases on both of those systems.

On 2/28/2018 at 0:12 PM, Justin__Harris said:

People complain about getting free stuff. What were you expecting? Shadow of the Colossus? Wolfenstein II? You pay the cost of one AAA game for a year and get access to all the online features and more than 30 FREE games a year, and it's still not good enough.

IT'S NOT FREE.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

IT'S NOT FREE.

Sigh. Yes, I understand the vernacular in that it's not technically free because it's a paid subscription. But come on, it's really not all that much money for a year's subscription. How much do you all spend per month/year on Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Spotify, etc? The ultimate benefit that comes from it far outweighs the yearly cost.

People just like to complain about shit.

If $60 (and honestly, who pays full price for a yearly subscription anyway) is too much for everything you get here, then it makes perfect sense why game publishers really want to drive up the microtransactions and loot crates to make more money. Apparently $60 for any game is too much, and $60 should seemingly entitle everyone to six or more expensive titles to play per month. The logic of people is completely flawless. ?

You could get nothing. If it's that big of a deal, just don't renew your subscription. Easy solution.

Edited by Justin__Harris

Just now, Justin__Harris said:

People just like to complain about shit.

It's not "complaining about shit". 

Look, as far as value goes, I agree with you that PS+ is solid. I'll still agree with you when I lose my PS3 and Vita IGC. But that's me. I would guess that @Satoshi Ookami has a very different view of Vita being dropped from the IGC list.

But for any of us, it ain't free. 

4 minutes ago, Justin__Harris said:

If it's that big of a deal, just don't renew your subscription. Easy solution.

And I imagine some will. And some won't. And that's their business. But I don't see why they can't also complain about the policy in a friendly forum.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

It's not "complaining about shit". 

Look, as far as value goes, I agree with you that PS+ is solid. I'll still agree with you when I lose my PS3 and Vita IGC. But that's me. I would guess that @Satoshi Ookami has a very different view of Vita being dropped from the IGC list.

But for any of us, it ain't free. 

And I imagine some will. And some won't. And that's their business. But I don't see why they can't also complain about the policy in a friendly forum.

Well I never said they couldn't complain. But since this is a friendly forum, I am free to make observations and share my personal thoughts about people's complaints being a gross exaggeration. That's my business. Or am I somehow exempt from the rules?

Just now, Justin__Harris said:

Well I never said they couldn't complain. But since this is a friendly forum, I am free to make observations and share my personal thoughts about people's complaints being a gross exaggeration. That's my business. Or am I somehow exempt from the rules?

You're not "exempt from the rules", but your observations are unfounded, mis-stated, at times incorrect, and mostly pointless. This particular soapbox about microtransactions is a real doozy. 

21 minutes ago, Justin__Harris said:

If $60 (and honestly, who pays full price for a yearly subscription anyway) is too much for everything you get here, then it makes perfect sense why game publishers really want to drive up the microtransactions and loot crates to make more money.

But even ignoring that, your observations make no sense, unless you are somehow saying that you can more properly determine the value of another person's purchase. Comparing your observations with others complaints is like drawing an equivalence between Girl A who complains about the dinner she herself ate last night, and Guy B who insists that Girl A's dinner was in fact excellent, and she has no reason to complain. I don't know - I find one of them ridiculous. Maybe it's just me.

Eh, blah blah blah. I have no real dog in this fight. 

21 minutes ago, grbolivar said:

They give for free basically THE BEST PS4 game and people still whine? Unbelievable.

Let's be honest, this great line-up is also meant as a smoke screen for the future loss of PS3 and Vita free games, yet I quite agree - some people seem just to never be satisfied.

As far as I'm concerned the deal remains worth it. I've been a Plus member for less than a year and I already have quite a backlog of free games waiting to be played... ?

1 hour ago, starcrunch061 said:

You're not "exempt from the rules", but your observations are unfounded, mis-stated, at times incorrect, and mostly pointless. This particular soapbox about microtransactions is a real doozy. 

But even ignoring that, your observations make no sense, unless you are somehow saying that you can more properly determine the value of another person's purchase. Comparing your observations with others complaints is like drawing an equivalence between Girl A who complains about the dinner she herself ate last night, and Guy B who insists that Girl A's dinner was in fact excellent, and she has no reason to complain. I don't know - I find one of them ridiculous. Maybe it's just me.

Eh, blah blah blah. I have no real dog in this fight. 

I got time before work, so I'll get into this with a long-winded response because... well, I like to write.

The value of another person's purchase, in this scenario, is the exact same across the board. We all pay for PlayStation Plus and outside of a few region game selection differences, get the exact same games. So in your dinner scenario, it's a matter of Girl A and Guy B eating the same dinner and one complaining about it. In this scenario, I guess I'm Guy B. I'm not telling Girl A that their dinner was excellent. A more apt comparison would be to say that Girl A and Guy B each purchase a yearly membership to the PlayStation Plus Restaurant, which gives access to the restaurant itself, the bathroom, condiments, etc. (online features). This is something you HAVE to pay for if you want access to this, and there's no way around it. It's the same at the Xbox Live Restaurant, and it's the same at the Nintendo Switch Online Restaurant. With the same membership, Girl A and Guy B get the exact same 2-6 meals every month. Some months are pizza as a meal, other months are steak, and you typically get a basic salad thrown in there in addition to access to the restaurant, its condiments and bathroom. Girl A complains that in March they're offering her Beef Stroganoff and her arguments are either: 1) I already bought Beef Stroganoff and wanted something else like Tiramisu, or 2) Beef Stroganoff isn't something I like and I don't want to eat it. Guy B -- me... the lovable rascal -- tells Girl A that it's a bummer she didn't get exactly what she wanted, but she shouldn't really complain because they don't have to give you anything to eat with this required restaurant membership. He goes on to say that if you wanted Tiramisu, you are still free to purchase it at full price. Or just wait 18+ months and then maybe Tiramisu will eventually be offered as a free meal. He didn't tell her she has to enjoy what's offered, but he did say that her complaints about it are a bit exaggerated in that regard. If you're ultimately unhappy with the restaurant, you can end your membership and never return.

I understand the argument of being upset about losing PS3/Vita games. That makes sense. You've been paying X amount of money for all of this, and now a major part of it is being axed. We can wax philosophical on whether it really matters if Sony stops offering titles for systems they no longer support, as they're gearing up for the PS5 in the next couple of years. But the argument of people being mad because the PS+ games they're getting aren't good enough does speak on people's sense of entitlement and hubris. If you really want a specific game, fucking buy it.

Now then, you boasted about how this was a friendly forum, with people being allowed to be entitled to their opinion. And when I said my opinion, which was that people are exaggerating and are a bit illogical in their arguments, your response a rude rebuttal to tell me that my right of an opinion is wrong and invalid. Although, you didn't really delve into a well-formulated comparison on why I was "unfounded, mis-stated, at times incorrect, and mostly pointless." Except the whole, 'mostly pointless' part because, yeah, this entire debate is completely that. Although my opinion may differ to yours and others on this matter, it's just an opinion and it is based entirely on facts and logic. I will not say that your arguments, opinion or feelings are invalid -- just illogical. Vulcans would be pissed... except they don't show emotion.

Finally, with you going, "Eh, blah blah blah. I have no real dog in this fight." Come on, dude! Commit! You gotta stick the damn landing! You can't throw shade at someone in a debate and then just back out of it like nothing happened. That's the equivalent of saying, "Hey buddy. Go fuck yourself. Now let's be friendly and talk about something else." Boo! ?

giphy.gif

Well, it sort of makes sense. They are a business and they decided that since not many people downloaded the free titles for other systems, they had to nix them and only offer the two PS4 games because they are losing money on the free Vita and PS3 lineup. Not many people are playing PS3 games anymore(I do not have a PS3 anymore) and the Vita has a very weak title selection and the Vita may end up being dropped for support, making it a dead handheld. I still try to get Vita titles (especially for new titles as they tend to be somewhat cheaper than the PS4 version) but there aren't very many games with platinums for the PS Vita, the PS4 is the main gaming device. :(

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CJ_Mystery said:

Well, it sort of makes sense. They are a business and they decided that since not many people downloaded the free titles for other systems, they had to nix them and only offer the two PS4 games because they are losing money on the free Vita and PS3 

That’s quite an interesting point actually - is these any communication or way to have data about these « free » titles? Maybe it just so happens that PS4 gales had ended up representing 90 or more % downloads, in which case it would be quite understandable that Sony make such a decision about a 5 to 10 % (or less?) share of the service...

On 3/3/2018 at 6:14 AM, Justin__Harris said:

How much do you all spend per month/year on Netflix, Amazon, Hulu, Spotify, etc?

^ Good point. For me (in NZD):

Netflix: $5 a month, splitting a $20/m plan with my boyfriend and my parents. 

Spotify: $7 a month on a Family Plan with 3 people. 

PS+: Somewhere between $7-13 a month depending on what plan I can afford (1 month, 3, 6, 12 etc.) Right now it's $6 a month because I grabbed the '15 months for the price of 12'. And I don't have to share it with anyone (well, my boyfriend, when he occasionally plays GT Sport. But it doesn't cost me anything more to have him play so meh!)

When compared to my other monthly spending habits (not including essential bills like rent, groceries, gas) $6-8 a month is me bringing a packed lunch to work ONE DAY a month instead of buying sushi up the road.

I not only get to play Overwatch with my PS+ sub, but I get bonus games every month, a lot of which I have played/downloaded to play later. 

When I truly feel that the cost i pay for PS+ per month isn't worth what I get out of it, I'll stop paying for it. But until May 2019, I'm sorted. I'll start justifying it when we see what early 2019 and Sony are bringing us.

Edited by ahoyimzoe

I've got Amazon Prime for free until June. I only purchase Netflix when I'm ready to binge watch (which is usually during work breaks). I have been devoted to PS+ for years now, so that's $54.99 a year, working out to roughly $4.58 a month or so.

On 3/2/2018 at 2:26 PM, Justin__Harris said:

Finally, with you going, "Eh, blah blah blah. I have no real dog in this fight." Come on, dude! Commit! You gotta stick the damn landing! You can't throw shade at someone in a debate and then just back out of it like nothing happened. That's the equivalent of saying, "Hey buddy. Go fuck yourself. Now let's be friendly and talk about something else." Boo! 1f60e.png

giphy.gif

LOL. I definitely deserved that. xD

But I meant what I said. I found your arguments disagreeable on an academic level mostly (which made the debate more for the ivory towers than for the PS+ thread). I really don't care much about people's (dis)likes of PS+ or Sony, for that matter. I just don't like the idea of telling a consumer what's best for them, and always stand up for the guy who asserts the (lack of) value of his/her purchase. 

However, I really DO find distasteful the idea that the poor game publishers just have to put in microtransactions and loot boxes because the greedy customers just don't appreciate what they have. But that's for another thread (and I don't think you'll have to wait long for such a thread bemoaning the state of the gaming industry). I do have a dog in that fight, so I'll keep up the war of word there.

On 3/4/2018 at 6:43 PM, ahoyimzoe said:

^ Good point. For me (in NZD):

Netflix: $5 a month, splitting a $20/m plan with my boyfriend and my parents. 

Spotify: $7 a month on a Family Plan with 3 people. 

PS+: Somewhere between $7-13 a month depending on what plan I can afford (1 month, 3, 6, 12 etc.) Right now it's $6 a month because I grabbed the '15 months for the price of 12'. And I don't have to share it with anyone (well, my boyfriend, when he occasionally plays GT Sport. But it doesn't cost me anything more to have him play so meh!)

When compared to my other monthly spending habits (not including essential bills like rent, groceries, gas) $6-8 a month is me bringing a packed lunch to work ONE DAY a month instead of buying sushi up the road.

I not only get to play Overwatch with my PS+ sub, but I get bonus games every month, a lot of which I have played/downloaded to play later. 

When I truly feel that the cost i pay for PS+ per month isn't worth what I get out of it, I'll stop paying for it. But until May 2019, I'm sorted. I'll start justifying it when we see what early 2019 and Sony are bringing us.

Exactly. I typically go to the "what else are you spending your money on" to where I ask why people think the price of PS+ is excessive. Mostly it's when my friends ask to use my Netflix/Hulu password because they're too cheap to afford the 'outrageous and exorbitant' cost of $14 and $12 per month (the price I pay for Netflix UHD and Hulu commercial-free). Meanwhile, I see people's Instagrams. I see people go out to the bar. They get Starbucks every damn morning. I tell them, buy one or two less beers and coffees per month. You can afford that. People are often just terrible at budgeting, and also just want everything for free.

On 3/5/2018 at 5:09 AM, starcrunch061 said:

I've got Amazon Prime for free until June. I only purchase Netflix when I'm ready to binge watch (which is usually during work breaks). I have been devoted to PS+ for years now, so that's $54.99 a year, working out to roughly $4.58 a month or so.

LOL. I definitely deserved that. xD

But I meant what I said. I found your arguments disagreeable on an academic level mostly (which made the debate more for the ivory towers than for the PS+ thread). I really don't care much about people's (dis)likes of PS+ or Sony, for that matter. I just don't like the idea of telling a consumer what's best for them, and always stand up for the guy who asserts the (lack of) value of his/her purchase. 

However, I really DO find distasteful the idea that the poor game publishers just have to put in microtransactions and loot boxes because the greedy customers just don't appreciate what they have. But that's for another thread (and I don't think you'll have to wait long for such a thread bemoaning the state of the gaming industry). I do have a dog in that fight, so I'll keep up the war of word there.

Are you sure you disagreed with all of it, or just my quip about publishers being 'justified' for their comments of microtransactions. Understand, I am not at all an advocate of microtransactions. I quite literally bought my PS4 at the end of 2016 and essentially missed out on the entire PS3/Xbox 360 generation. So coming from the PS2 era when $50-60 gave you a complete game, to now everything have Season Passes, DLC, Microtransactions and Loot Boxes, despite all the wonderful improvements of the gaming industry, such avarice does really grind my gears. However, I think my analogy that if people complain that the cost of PS+ is too much for all the subscription games you get are unwilling to buy things at retail price, such arrogant proclamations about how microtransactions are necessary can be made. And in that regard, D-bags like EA can be like, "Well games are expensive. People want too much for free and don't spend enough money. So we're going to give gamers a sense of pride and accomplishment by offering them microtransactions and loot boxes. It's what gamers want!" You're not the only one with a dog in that fight, but yes, that's a post for a different forum.

But my ultimate point remains the same: PS+ gives you a lot of awesome content for relatively not a lot of money, complain about something else. Like sweatshop labor. Nah, I'm just kidding. I like my cell phone. We need sweatshops. Man, the world is hilariously cruel.

• Like 1

I don't own a PS4. I'll probably rebuy a few of my favourite games earned from PS+ after it's finished, then use deals/offers as my replacement for PS+. This change means pressure to finish all my games... I have about 20 unstarted PS+ games which will probably become 30, and only a year left. The pressure. :(

20 hours ago, Lance_87 said:

Because they don't have nothing new to offer and/or maybe other publishers are being d**ks.

Perhaps. I thought maybe they provided some justification rather than putting out the info and giving us the option to be in or out (completely out)

14 hours ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

Because Sony no longer cares about anything that isn't PS4.

Tell me something I don't know.

On 3/7/2018 at 11:25 AM, Justin__Harris said:

Are you sure you disagreed with all of it, or just my quip about publishers being 'justified' for their comments of microtransactions. Understand, I am not at all an advocate of microtransactions. I quite literally bought my PS4 at the end of 2016 and essentially missed out on the entire PS3/Xbox 360 generation. So coming from the PS2 era when $50-60 gave you a complete game, to now everything have Season Passes, DLC, Microtransactions and Loot Boxes, despite all the wonderful improvements of the gaming industry, such avarice does really grind my gears. However, I think my analogy that if people complain that the cost of PS+ is too much for all the subscription games you get are unwilling to buy things at retail price, such arrogant proclamations about how microtransactions are necessary can be made. And in that regard, D-bags like EA can be like, "Well games are expensive. People want too much for free and don't spend enough money. So we're going to give gamers a sense of pride and accomplishment by offering them microtransactions and loot boxes. It's what gamers want!" You're not the only one with a dog in that fight, but yes, that's a post for a different forum.

That doesn’t mean you should, or have to skip those games if you want to play them. 

I missed out on a lot simply because I poured in around 9000 hours on a few MMOs. I realized this even during 2011 - 2012 when the PS3 and 360 were still going strong. I still intend to buy a few retail PS3 games that I’ve wanted to add to my collection for a long while. I mix up various PS3, Vita and PS4 games because I prefer to play a big variety.

The only way to play the first two inFamous games, outside of actually owning a PS3, is through PS Now. The only real benefit I see out of Now is streaming PS3 and PS4 games on a PC. I think that is a good addition. But not every PS3 game is on PS Now. There’s a lot of digital titles you can only get on the PS3 and eliminating those entirely is a big middle finger. 

A game like Dead Space 2 would be decent to have on Plus. I think that’s what the people complaining on here are getting at. 

For all we know Sony will give us two completely random PS4 games. They don’t care all that much because they are literally having the entire show. The Xbox One has suffered from bad sales and having an overall poor selection of exclusives. A lot of their games already made it to PC so that makes owning a Xbox One Scorpio even more pointless. I’ve heard of people saying Microsoft has better customer service, which is probably a given since they’ve lagged far behind this entire generation. Plus the fiasco that occurred back in 2013 brought a lot of people over to Sony. Games like Bloodborne further proved that Microsoft had and has a weak lineup of good exclusive titles. 

Sergen said it best with his stance on PSN connectivity on the PS3. 

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1