PS3 and Vita games to be removed from PS plus from March 2019

FreeSpark22

Just received the following email from PlayStation Plus. What are your thoughts?

The PlayStation Plus Monthly Games allocation will no longer include PS3 and PS Vita titles after 8 March 2019

PlayStation®3 (PS3™) or PlayStation®Vita (PS Vita) titles will be included in the PlayStation®Plus Monthly Games allocation until 8 March 2019

After 8 March 2019, the Monthly Games provided to PlayStation Plus members will no longer include PS3 or PS Vita titles. Any PS3 or PS Vita Monthly Games downloaded or previously added to your Download List will remain playable for as long as you remain a PlayStation Plus member.

Beyond 8 March 2019, Monthly Games will only include PlayStation®4 (PS4™) titles. All other features and benefits of the PlayStation Plus service will remain unaffected.

What this means for you

As a PlayStation Plus member, you will continue to receive Monthly Games for PS4, PS3 and PS Vita for every month of your membership until 8 March 2019

After 8 March 2019, PS3 and PS Vita titles will no longer be included in your Monthly Games allocation.

Any PS3 or PS Vita Monthly Games downloaded or previously added to your Download List will remain playable for as long as you remain a PlayStation Plus member. 
Further actions
If you do not wish for your PlayStation Plus membership to continue after this change has taken place, cancel your subscription or turn off auto renewal so that your membership period ends by 8 March 2019. When you cancel your membership, your subscription will end at the conclusion of your current billing cycle and you will not be charged additionally. You can use these direct links to check when your next subscription payment is due and manage your account. You’ll need your Sony Entertainment Network sign-in ID and password to log in to your account:
  • Like 4

A lot of people only care about PS4 so they have been hoping that this just results in more PS4 offerings instead. But (1) Sony hasn't indicated that this will actually happen, and (2) thanks to cross-buy, even if they do increase the number of PS4 offerings, we'll at best be breaking even. For example, this month PS4 users got 5 games thanks to cross-buy. That won't be happening anymore.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, diskdocx said:

The loss of the rather awful PS3 and PSVita offerings that we have seen of late is hardly worth mourning.

The fact that they will NOT be replacing this with additional content for the PS4 (so we will be going from 6 games a month to 2 games) is disgusting. Those offerings better be much improved, otherwise this just reeks of Sony being so far out in front this generation that they just don't care.

Does it explicitly state anywhere that we'll only be getting 2 PS4 games after this point? I mean, I get that it might be a pretty safe assumption, but I didn't see anything confirming this.

EDIT: Apparently confirmed; see further down this thread.

Edited by RNumbers

Just now, diskdocx said:

The loss of the rather awful PS3 and PSVita offerings that we have seen of late is hardly worth mourning.

The fact that they will NOT be replacing this with additional content for the PS4 (so we will be going from 6 games a month to 2 games) is disgusting. Those offerings better be much improved, otherwise this just reeks of Sony being so far out in front this generation that they just don't care.

I agree wholeheartedly, but I can tell you now: the quality of PS4 offerings will not be improving. Sony are just absolutely hellbent on squeezing every last penny out of you and they do nothing back for it. They can't keep their servers open for their flagship games (Most of which are already down at this stage), they increase the PS+ prices considerably and actually accelerate the rate at which they shut their games as well as the quality of games offered on PS+ remaining crap. This is just another in a long line of antics by them because they have you by the balls now: you have to have PS+ to play multiplayer on PS4 so there's nothing most people can do about this change, they're gonna keep paying for PS+ if they want to continue playing games online. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Potent_Delusions said:

I agree wholeheartedly, but I can tell you now: the quality of PS4 offerings will not be improving. Sony are just absolutely hellbent on squeezing every last penny out of you and they do nothing back for it. They can't keep their servers open for their flagship games (Most of which are already down at this stage), they increase the PS+ prices considerably and actually accelerate the rate at which they shut their games as well as the quality of games offered on PS+ remaining crap. This is just another in a long line of antics by them because they have you by the balls now: you have to have PS+ to play multiplayer on PS4 so there's nothing most people can do about this change, they're gonna keep paying for PS+ if they want to continue playing games online. 

while you are right. This is the future sadly. I mean even Nintendo now is going to make you pay for playing online. It may be only 20£ now but no doubt they will raise the price as well. Everything will probably be streaming sooner or later. 

The PS+ Lineup for PS3 and Vita was bad since the PS4 came up... i've been playing more games i bought before the PS4 came up until now in contrast to new games since the PS4 launch... but it is a mean decision if they keep up the price but offer less... but i will renew my subscription for two reasons: 1) i want to play ps+ games and 2) i want to play online coop on ps4

Bummer, i have the 3 platforms partly due to psn plus. But lets be serious, nobody thought when ps4 came out that vita and ps3 still would be receiving games for almost six more years.

Time to end my frustratingly huge backlog I guess.

5 minutes ago, NanaCheese94 said:

Man this fucking sucks... I got PS+ gifted for the whole year on Christmas and I even bought a Vita so the free vita games dont go to waste.. If I had paid for ps+ myself I'd swiftly unsubscribe now.

You'll have Vita games through March 2019. You'll get your year's worth at  least.