PS3 and Vita games to be removed from PS plus from March 2019

FreeSpark22

I don't mind.  I haven't seen any PS3 game on there over the past year that I didn't already own.  So I wasn't really getting my value's worth.

It sucks having to have PS+ to play online.

The only decent thing is having my save files backed up on cloud in case the PS3 dies. 

We've all had plenty of chances to pick up the PS3 games we wanted in all the various sales the past ~4 years so there really shouldn't be anything left for anyones ps+ wishlist.

PS Vita still has potential to deliver good ps+ game choices so it's a little sad to see that go away.

12 hours ago, Lance_87 said:

We already got Vanquish...

This is not a normal behaviour. You are supposed to see it. Have you tried using PSDLE and searching for it manually? Maybe it moved to a different date in the list?

Please stop. I checked EVERY PAGE OF OVER 5000 ITEMS. If I want people to send me through a checklist of shit I already tried, I’ll go talk to worthless support.

Or just have someone who knows what the fuck they’re doing. But they would have to be in the same room as you, which probably isn’t going to happen. 

Not that Castle of Illusion was all that great to begin with since it’s a simple platformer that can be beaten in a few hours. Still, I can understand why taking a digital only approach as many have done is dangerous. Because “owning” digital games is really just a glorified rental.

• Like 1

On 3/2/2018 at 0:53 PM, Spaz said:

I wouldn’t give a flying fuck if PS4 was backwards compatible. Microsoft did this with Xbox One so why isn’t Sony doing the same thing?

Oh wait, they saw they could cash in on cheap remasters so instead of making the console to where you could play your PS3 games on your PS4, you have to either buy a PS3 console or wait until the games are rereleased as remasters. You’re honestly buying the same game on a newer console, albeit with a few touch ups. That is just lazy, but it gives these companies more money which is why they’re making remasters. 

Jesus christ, dude. You seem to have a habit of ranting about things you're completely clueless about.

Go read up on PS3 architecture. You may as well be bitching about Apple not "allowing" their operating system to run programs designed for Windows. The PS3's architecture is notoriously difficult to develop for, whereas with the PS4 Sony was trying to make a system which was easily accessible to developers, running an OS similar to Linux.

If you had been complaining about, say, PS2 ports, then sure. The point would be valid. But claiming that PS3 games can somehow magically run on an entirely different operating system and that Sony is just 'refusing to add backwards compatibility' is asinine and indicates you have no grasp on how either of the two systems work. I recommend Google.

Edited by regularegg
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, regularegg said:

Jesus christ, dude. You seem to have a habit of ranting about things you're completely clueless about.

Go read up on PS3 architecture. You may as well be bitching about Apple not "allowing" their operating system to run programs designed for Windows. The PS3's architecture is notoriously difficult to develop for, whereas with the PS4 Sony was trying to make a system which was easily accessible to developers, running an OS similar to Linux.

If you had been complaining about, say, PS2 ports, then sure. The point would be valid. But claiming that PS3 games can somehow magically run on an entirely different operating system and that Sony is just 'refusing to add backwards compatibility' is asinine and indicates you have no grasp on how either of the two systems work. I recommend Google.

Just drop it. I overreacted on one thread sure, but what I’m simply saying here is Sony is really dropping the ball when it comes to giving Plus users the benefits. 

Playing online costs a premium on the PS4. Okay that’s one thing. If PS Now gives players the ability to play PS3 games via streaming onto the PS4, then I think there shouldn’t be much of a workaround to downloading the titles onto the console without the need to have to stream the games to begin with. 

PS Now to me is just a stupid way of doing it. 

Just now, Spaz said:

Just drop it. I overreacted on one thread sure, but what I’m simply saying here is Sony is really dropping the ball when it comes to giving Plus users the benefits. 

Playing online costs a premium on the PS4. Okay that’s one thing. If PS Now gives players the ability to play PS3 games via streaming onto the PS4, then I think there shouldn’t be much of a workaround to downloading the titles onto the console without the need to have to stream the games to begin with. 

PS Now to me is just a stupid way of doing it. 

...You do realize that there's a difference between streaming a video of a game and actually playing the game, right? PS Now exists specifically because the PS4 can't run PS3 games. They have to stream it onto your console. If Sony could get away with selling PS3 games for 40$ on PS4, they probably would. The problem is that it's simply not that easy. You're porting a game to an entirely different operating system. Emulators are notoriously inefficient, and although the PS2 can be brute forced due to the sheer amount of power the PS4 has, the divide between the PS3 and the PS4 simply isn't big enough to make it feasible.

In fact, there've been ports of PS3 games that actually run worse on the PS4 than they did on the PS3. This is because, contrary to your belief, they're not simply rereleasing the same game. For all intents and purposes, they're releasing an entirely different version of the game. The same way some games run fine on PC but shit on PS4, and vice versa, even on systems with equal power.

Another issue with the suggestion that Sony simply refused to allow the PS4 to emulate PS3 games in order to sell ports is that Sony isn't remastering games. *Very* few of Sony's first party PS3 exclusives have been remastered - hardly anything, given the breadth of the PS3's library. And Sony's hardly been greedy with the games that actually have been remastered. Three Uncharted games in one package? Two Wipeout games (and an expansion) remastered with current gen graphics and sold for only 40$? Or how about Ratchet & Clank, which was rebuilt from the ground up and sold for 40$, when they could have simply ported the PS3 games with much more ease.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, regularegg said:

Sony isn't remastering games. 

It's much easier to let others do the dirty work and just reap in the fees from the sells those publishers make. Why hurt your own brand directly with tons of remasters. Especially now more than ever with their recent announcement of aiming for more exclusive next generation games.

7 hours ago, Lava_Yuki said:

I play the vita a lot so that's disappointing for me, but I guess the vita is dying in Japan, dead already in the West. I don't care about the PS3 though, I packed mine away ages ago. 

To be fair, the Vita offerings have been pretty weak for a long time. I was surprised when we got Grand Kingdom and Psycho Pass, but otherwise it seems to mostly be really niche indie titles (ie TorgueL, Downwell). I doubt the Vita itself will die off for a good while, seeing as how it's still getting a good amount of games released for it every month.

12 hours ago, Elvick_ said:

Please stop. I checked EVERY PAGE OF OVER 5000 ITEMS. If I want people to send me through a checklist of shit I already tried, I’ll go talk to worthless support.

No need to be an ***. Try PSDLE, and search by Product ID or something like that. Maybe it doesn't even have a single word of the game title in its name. Oh and make sure the list is displaying EVERYTHING (i.e. 5000 out of 5000, not 4999 out of 5000 or crap like that)

On 2/28/2018 at 2:06 PM, Undead Wolf said:

Haha, no, that's never going to happen. The March PS+ lineup is there to distract you from the fact that we'll be getting 4 less games per month in the future.

Well, we don't know exactly what happens after March 2019.  Maybe they start including a free PSVR game very month.  PS5 should also be coming in the 2019/2020 timeframe.  So I think there's more changes coming for PS+ that won't be revealed until closer to March 2019.

On 04/03/2018 at 5:19 PM, jka121 said:

I think they should lower the price of ps plus if they’re going to offer less games 

Let’s face it: they won’t. At best we will get small perks as a compensation, like more GB for online back-up saves...

Whatever happens I’m March next year, the only question will be: is it still worth it? Then it’s up to each person to make its decision ;-)

Edited by Neef-GT5

I agree with others saying the ps3 games of recent have not been touched by me probably close to a year.

With that said, I’m disappointed in the Vita situation. Now I feel I should just sell my vita now.  I am at the point I was refusing to buy vita games because I knew it’s support would die even more and this just proves it. Before we know it they’ll pull psn servers from it.

Hopefully we get better sales and more AAA titles (and hopefully more free VR games more frequently) starting next year. Because if they waste their space giving 8-bit freebies then I don’t see the point in plus.

8 hours ago, Dangisuckatgamin said:

I agree with others saying the ps3 games of recent have not been touched by me probably close to a year.

With that said, I’m disappointed in the Vita situation. Now I feel I should just sell my vita now.  I am at the point I was refusing to buy vita games because I knew it’s support would die even more and this just proves it. Before we know it they’ll pull psn servers from it.

Hopefully we get better sales and more AAA titles (and hopefully more free VR games more frequently) starting next year. Because if they waste their space giving 8-bit freebies then I don’t see the point in plus.

I see nothing wrong with 8-bit freebies. They’re not to everyone’s tastes and that’s fine. Some people like new AAA games, some people like old retro styled games like Shovel Knight. 

Unfortunately Vita support is indeed dying out. I have a few Vita games that require online boosting. Definitely want to get those games completed before it’s too late.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dangisuckatgamin said:

Sucks they didn't just cycle through Vita launch games. I'd have loved to get Ridge Racer on there. I ain't paying the dumb prices for that glorified demo, but I'd happily play it from PS+. That game doesnt' even go on sale too often. I remember the PSP game going on sale and not that one in a Bamco sale.

• Like 1

I'm interested to see what happens to all the PS3 free games obtained once the support for the PS3 goes away....will people's libraries suddenly become smaller or will members retain access to the games as long as they maintain their PS4+ accounts....

HOWEVER, where this is going to grab you in the nether region is if you haven't upgraded to the PS4 and are still just PS3ing it along...so now either you pay your monthly fee to keep your free games (which now aren't so free) or you lose your digital library...

Image result for chickens coming home to roost meme

Edited by PSXtreme_

20 minutes ago, PSXtreme_ said:

I'm interested to see what happens to all the PS3 free games obtained once the support for the PS3 goes away....will people's libraries suddenly become smaller or will members retain access to the games as long as they maintain their PS4+ accounts....

Any PS3 or PS Vita Monthly Games downloaded or previously added to your Download List will remain playable for as long as you remain a PlayStation Plus member.

2 hours ago, Mosik_YP said:

I hope they go all out for PS3 and release the best of the best since they are in the final phase

The best PS Plus offerings were in late 2012 and all of 2013. When the PS4 came the quality dropped significantly, because "this is for the payers".

• Like 1