Decision made on Loot boxes

Stargazer2600

So because of EA and Battlefront 2. The ESRB was really looking into loot boxes and Microtransactions. Gaming commissions and local governments were starting to look in the direction of gaming since essentially loot boxes could be considered as gambling. Well, we got a decision about and all and scum like EA are in the clear. Loot boxes are in the green and here to stay. All that is gonna change is there will be a tag saying "in-game purchases" on the game. So get ready to have your wallets raped with loot boxes from here on out cause now that they got the green light, more games are sure to follow since there's no reason they think they cant. I bet EA is laughing at us while they turn back on the loot boxes.

link

28 minutes ago, Stargazer2600 said:

So because of EA and Battlefront 2. The ESRB was really looking into loot boxes and Microtransactions. Gaming commissions and local governments were starting to look in the direction of gaming since essentially loot boxes could be considered as gambling. Well, we got a decision about and all and scum like EA are in the clear. Loot boxes are in the green and here to stay. All that is gonna change is there will be a tag saying "in-game purchases" on the game. So get ready to have your wallets raped with loot boxes from here on out cause now that they got the green light, more games are sure to follow since there's no reason they think they cant. I bet EA is laughing at us while they turn back on the loot boxes.

link

The ESRB is a council made up of representatives from the biggest game publishers, to include EA, who make these decisions. It would be like being on the jury in a case against yourself. So unfortunately I am not surprised.

Our only hope is Chris Lee, state representative from Hawaii. He is doing some great work on behalf of gamers. Here is a video of Chris interviewing a lobbyist (It is funny and sad as fuck at the same time).

Edited by Bullstomp
Added link

But this has been happening in gaming since, what, 2009 back on MySpace?  Sony themselves have been doing it since the Vita (Ecolibrium).  And a lot of games, such as Marvel: Heroes: Omega, Defiance, Let It Die, Tekken 7, and even Injustice 2 have them.  What about EA and specifically Star Wars Battlefront was the end-all?  I'm genuinely curious, since it's only that specific company and game mentioned, even when others do the same (as in paid AAA title).  Was it a bandwagon-type ordeal?  Was there hate against EA and/or Disney/Battlefront and this was a way to express that in one argument?  I just don't get it.  There are worse games out there where you can ONLY get specific items from spending money on bundles of random items.

Edit - I'm not saying I'm for or against them in this, just asking why EA and Battlefront.

Edited by goodSuM
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, goodSuM said:

But this has been happening in gaming since, what, 2009 back on MySpace?  Sony themselves have been doing it since the Vita (Ecolibrium).  And a lot of games, such as Marvel: Heroes: Omega, Defiance, Let It Die, Tekken 7, and even Injustice 2 have them.  What about EA and specifically Star Wars Battlefront was the end-all?  I'm genuinely curious, since it's only that specific company and game mentioned, even when others do the same (as in paid AAA title).  Was it a bandwagon-type ordeal?  Was there hate against EA and/or Disney/Battlefront and this was a way to express that in one argument?  I just don't get it.  There are worse games out there where you can ONLY get specific items from spending money on bundles of random items.

Edit - I'm not saying I'm for or against them in this, just asking why EA and Battlefront.

EA was the one the really pushed it by making it where you pay full price for a game and in order to get better you had to do the loot boxes. someone could dump $1000 into Battle front and in that time be better than you do to gear and there be no way you could catch up unless you did the same.

Overwatch is all cosmetic and you can earn plenty of loot boxes just playing, same with Injustice 2

53 minutes ago, goodSuM said:

I think it was down to just how blatantly greedy and manipulative the lootbox system, was implemented in EA's Battlefront 2. It wasn't the only one, last year. Shadow of War with the Orc lootboxes, is another terrible example. Battlefront just happened to be a Star Wars game, a beloved franchise that people didn't want to see ruined even further, after the first battlefront. And Konami's gotten in on the whole lootbox/microtansaction shenanigans too, with save slots being purchasable. As far as I can tell as someone on the sidelines, who hasn't bought any of these games, due to these lootboxes, and my own dislike of primarily online games. EA'S Battlefront 2 was the tipping point. The game that went too far...

Though I'm concerned about bills or laws being passed. Like it has to be done, really carefully, especially if lootbox mechanics are classed as gambling, since it opens up all kinds of legal issues. Like gambling being illegal in certain states, so it'd be unlawful to sell games, with microtransactions in them there, and playing the games could be a criminal offence =(. Microtransactions, Lootboxes and pure undiluted greed are going to be the death of these games publishers and developers. And if they're not willing to adapt or change, then they deserve to fail.

2 minutes ago, Stargazer2600 said:

EA was the one the really pushed it by making it where you pay full price for a game and in order to get better you had to do the loot boxes. someone could dump $1000 into Battle front and in that time be better than you do to gear and there be no way you could catch up unless you did the same.

Overwatch is all cosmetic and you can earn plenty of loot boxes just playing, same with Injustice 2

I don't approve of lootboxes in principal, but yeah. At least Overwatch keeps it's lootboxes, limited to cosmetics. I still won't play the game on principal, which is a shame, cause it does look fun.

Just an FYI, Activision-Blizzard made over $4 billion in microtransactions last year (this also includes WoW subs). EA isn't the only one laughing as MTs don't seem to be going away any time soon. It's clear that a lot of people don't mind MTs. This is clearly a model that works and is a big money maker for any business in the industry.

http://investor.activision.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=1056935

Activision Blizzard delivered a fourth-quarter record of over $1 billion of in-game net bookingsB, and an annual record of over $4 billion of in-game net bookingsB.

Edited by Death_Ninja
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Death_Ninja said:

Just an FYI, Activision-Blizzard made over $4 billion in microtransactions last year. EA isn't the only one laughing as MTs don't seem to be going away any time soon. It's clear that a lot of people don't mind MTs.

http://investor.activision.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=1056935

This.

Activision are making more money with microtransactions than by selling actual games. What do you expect? As long as people will spend money in MT publishers will keep implementing them. It's as simple as that.

On 01/03/2018 at 3:48 AM, Stargazer2600 said:

So get ready to have your wallets raped with loot boxes from here on out cause now that they got the green light, more games are sure to follow since there's no reason they think they cant. 

???

I think I’ll just carry on living my life and never buying loot boxes, just like I don’t buy lottery tickets, competition entries, snake oil or magic beans. 

My wallet is rape-proof.

The trick is that I don’t feel forced to buy stuff just because it exists.

• Like 1

Looks like I'm going to be sticking with older AAA games and indie titles if these companies are going to force us to use this bullshit.

You watch, in the near future they are going to throw in microtransactions that are required to beat the story.

• Like 1