YLoD PS3 Fat worth fixing?

pokwey

As the title suggested, I have PS3 Fat 60GB that sadly affected by YLoD few years ago and has been collecting dust in my closet since. Any of you guys got affected by YLoD and fixed it? Was it worth the money sending the console to the repair shop? How long does the console stay YLoD free after being fixed? 

From what I read back during the "YLoD" days, not only will it happen again even if you get it fixed, but it will most likely be sooner, rather than later. I don't think there is a specific time frame though. It actually happened to my first PS3, but I never bothered to get it fixed since it seemed so unreliable. At the time, the second version of the PS3 had been out long enough that I felt it was safe to buy that one instead. At this stage, it would make even more sense to buy a new PS3 if you just want to continue playing on a PS3, since it'd cost much less.

Edited by GameOverComesAll

My launch system went bad (had horrible electronic's care conditions living in an 18 wheeler with all the bumping and dust, closed tight conditions...just not conductive for any long lifespan for anything electronic) and had it fixed. It worked great for the next 2 years until I upgraded the system to the 500GB slim. I still have the original and it still works fine. Just needed the bigger HDD...

Edited by PSXtreme_
Grammar Nazi Attack!!!!

5 hours ago, MSIA_pokwee said:

As the title suggested, I have PS3 Fat 60GB that sadly affected by YLoD few years ago and has been collecting dust in my closet since. Any of you guys got affected by YLoD and fixed it? Was it worth the money sending the console to the repair shop? How long does the console stay YLoD free after being fixed? 

60Gb has the hardware PS2 emulator built in. Clearly, it seems you haven’t had much use for it since you’ve gotten this far with it collecting dust. I have done the DIY fix on one and it worked for a few years and cost me only time and some new thermal paste.

That being said, it’s probably worth having the CPU re-balled with some better solder which could extend the life indefinitely. It used to be less than $100 to have someone do it and at that price, seems worth it. Or sell it as-is if you have no intention of playing PS2 games once it’s fixed, people who know about them will still offer *some* money for one, even not working. 

The 60 GB? I don't know what the state of the market is now, but back in the day, that was a pretty nice item, due to its BC capability (which was a lot better than the later 80 GB model, which was a lot better than the models that...didn't have it).

If you haven't played it in a few years, I don't see the need to fix it, unless you plan to sell it afterward.

The thing is I'm scared that the console gonna YLoD on me again, I don't want to gamble my money away especially when the life expectancy of a fixed YLoD PS3 varies from a month to 2 years. Sadly, the PS2 backward compatibility is useless for me because original PS2 games are non-existence in my country, all of the PS2 games are pirated, unless the PS3 can run a pirated version of the game which if recalled correctly I did try it once and my PS3 didn't recognized the disc. 

You guys, thanks for your opinion, I'm just gonna put my first baby back in the closet because I think it's better if I invest my money on a used 1yo PS3 slim.

If you have experience with repairing electronics it's worth doing it yourself, there's plenty of guides on YouTube i recommend Gilksy's guide.

I managed to repair my old 60gb twice, first time it lasted 2 momths, second time 6 momths. It all depends on how long it lasts really, there's no set time

I did end up buying a superslim eventually though.

11 minutes ago, zer007uk said:

If you have experience with repairing electronics it's worth doing it yourself, there's plenty of guides on YouTube i recommend Gilksy's guide.

I managed to repair my old 60gb twice, first time it lasted 2 momths, second time 6 momths. It all depends on how long it lasts really, there's no set time

I did end up buying a superslim eventually though.

I don't trust myself repairing the console ?. I'm afraid if I majorly messed up the motherboard or something. I have a luck of screw things up when repairing something lol. 

50 minutes ago, MSIA_pokwee said:

The thing is I'm scared that the console gonna YLoD on me again, I don't want to gamble my money away especially when the life expectancy of a fixed YLoD PS3 varies from a month to 2 years. Sadly, the PS2 backward compatibility is useless for me because original PS2 games are non-existence in my country, all of the PS2 games are pirated, unless the PS3 can run a pirated version of the game which if recalled correctly I did try it once and my PS3 didn't recognized the disc. 

You guys, thanks for your opinion, I'm just gonna put my first baby back in the closet because I think it's better if I invest my money on a used 1yo PS3 slim.

17 minutes ago, MSIA_pokwee said:

I don't trust myself repairing the console 1f602.png. I'm afraid if I majorly messed up the motherboard or something. I have a luck of screw things up when repairing something lol. 

Don't bother attempting. Unless you literally replace the solder, it's just going to happen again and that's not a DIY thing. Pick up a slim and just enjoy playing your games!

46 minutes ago, dj_helyx said:

Putting it in the oven is very cost effective and requires hardly any training.

Welp my oven aren't that big, I can hardly put my fat PS3 in it. 

Edit : OH! Only need to put some of the parts that need the solder to be melt(?). Hmm I might try it someday. 

Edited by MSIA_pokwee

On 3/2/2018 at 9:51 AM, dj_helyx said:

Putting it in the oven is very cost effective and requires hardly any training.

On 3/2/2018 at 10:21 AM, MSIA_pokwee said:

Welp my oven aren't that big, I can hardly put my fat PS3 in it. 

Edit : OH! Only need to put some of the parts that need the solder to be melt(?). Hmm I might try it someday. 

Don't forget to pick up new thermal paste since yours will be dried out and will need to be scraped off. Putting this back together without new thermal paste is a recipe for more damage.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I tried fixing my PS3 Fat 80GB after it YLoD several years ago. I ended up making it significantly worse. YouTube vids made it look relatively simple but I ended up melting the motherboard with the heat gun. Oops! I packed the system back in the original box thinking I would eventually buy replacement parts for it. Well of course I never did. It's been years now and I honestly don't care anymore. I'm probably gonna toss it out soon.

• 2 weeks later...