Feeling of emptiness after platinuming a game?

You didn’t mention at all in your post anything about the enjoyment of the actual game. If your sole purpose is to simply plat the game and move on I might suggest not bothering with games like the Witcher 3. That’s an enormous game made to be enjoyed, not simply a tool to add plus 1 to your total plats. If that’s all you’re looking for play short indie games instead perhaps. 

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, BHK3 said:

Same here. I'm trying my best to have fun with some games and I do, but once I get that plat the empty feeling sorta doesn't go away. I'm playing a game right now after I platted it and I get hit with a "you could be doing something else right now" feeling :(

I don’t play games at all after I plat them. But that’s because there’s just so many I want to play and I have limited gaming time. I feel like after completing the story and getting all the trophies, you’re just repeating the same experiences you already had and at that point I’d rather experience something new 

• Like 3

It's because you are playing games like it's a chore instead of having fun. Try playing a few games in a row you are excited to play with the trophy notification OFF. Don't worry about trophies and play it solely for the experience. Maybe that'll get you out of your funk.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, turpinator1986 said:

You didn’t mention at all in your post anything about the enjoyment of the actual game. If your sole purpose is to simply plat the game and move on I might suggest not bothering with games like the Witcher 3. That’s an enormous game made to be enjoyed, not simply a tool to add plus 1 to your total plats. If that’s all you’re looking for play short indie games instead perhaps. 

I completely agree, games, especially longer ones are meant to be enjoyed. If I'm looking to increase my Platinum count, I'd play shorter, simpler Indie games ? That feeling of emptiness afterwards is probably due to your investment in the game after spending so much time playing it. Shorter games wont require as much time and investment, and won't cause so much heartbreak when completed ?

• Like 2

I feel that with some bad plats. Like something completely RNG or super grindy. Or it glitches in some way so you have to do shit again. Like needing to replay the story of Agents of Mayhem was stupid and I hated it. But if it’s more fun to do, I don’t mind. Like infamous 2, second son, first light. Those were all fun. I found Deadpool fun to plat too.

I must be the only one that has played games thinking I can't wait to get this over with at the time, but once it's done and the plat has dinged, I actually end up kinda missing the grind. And I'm talking about bat shit crazy online grinds like Killzone 2. Max Payne 3 & GTA4. I guess it's the kind of missing where you wouldn't really do it again (not too dissimilar to an ex lol).

I also play a lot of games beyond the plat either for true 100% completion or because I love the game and will carry on playing online or do an optional NG+ if it's a single player game.

Guess I'm an anomaly :)

The feeling OP described is almost exclusively for platinum hunters imo, which is perfectly fine. Different strokes for different folks. However, I'm certain if trophies didn't exist, most people on this forum would approach gaming very differently.

5 hours ago, Zolkovo said:

I must be the only one that has played games thinking I can't wait to get this over with at the time, but once it's done and the plat has dinged, I actually end up kinda missing the grind. And I'm talking about bat shit crazy online grinds like Killzone 2. Max Payne 3 & GTA4. I guess it's the kind of missing where you wouldn't really do it again (not too dissimilar to an ex lol).

I also play a lot of games beyond the plat either for true 100% completion or because I love the game and will carry on playing online or do an optional NG+ if it's a single player game.

Guess I'm an anomaly :)

The feeling OP described is almost exclusively for platinum hunters imo, which is perfectly fine. Different strokes for different folks. However, I'm certain if trophies didn't exist, most people on this forum would approach gaming very differently.

If trophies didn’t exist I probably wouldn’t have played half the games I have...yet. Reason being i trophy hunt partly due to OCD making me want to try and complete everything but mainly because I think games are so grossly over priced I see it as a way of getting the most possible value out of a game. I think the best games are ones where you complete the story and you only have like 2 or 3 of the trophies popped then you gotta do a crap load of other stuff to get the plat. I have a rule where I won’t spend over £30 on any game, so I don’t get games on release days, with a couple of exceptions. If games didn’t have trophies in my eyes that would drop their value for money so I probably wouldn’t spend more than £15 on a game, meaning I wouldn’t have yet played a lot of PS4 games I already have. 

• Like 3

Yeah sometimes I feel empty after I earn platinum or complete a psn but what makes me feel better is the fact that afterwards I can say I was able to compete the game through all the glitches and rage and other problems that always happen to me. Of course with some easy games it doesn't feel as good but I find completing series to bring the most joy out of trophy hunting. So with that being said if you want to feel better try completing a more harder game or try completing a whole series. 

Hope my advice helps    

i know that feeling especially if you already reach 100 plat. In my case it was fun to get them cause you have the joy of completing your games but there are some reasons as it leads to emptiness over time especially when playing a game where you to tend question are you playing for the games or platinum. 

• Like 1

It's not the destination that matters, it's the journey. Enjoy the ride towards the platinum and if it becomes a massive chore or you hate it, just move onto a different game that interests you. Always play the game for the game. The platinum should always be the bonus part to your experience, if it's the only part of the experience, it'll just be a life of gaming emptiness.

• Like 2