Feeling of emptiness after platinuming a game?

In my opinion, that feeling is terrible but at the same time a fact, I mean when I played and won the platinum in games I enjoyed as can be Persona 4 and 5, all Atelier games or Star Ocean (or another games without trophie system) I need time, time to see what I learned with the game and know I'm in the "emptiness" phase and after almost 1 year I continue with emptiness phase with Persona 5 and the most recent was when got the last Atelier Platinum... the feeling when you reach a goal is satisfaction and sometimes sadness if and when the game pierce your heart ? games are games of course, but the games are played by people and we create a bridge with character, plot, gameplay and that transcend in us and became in the essence of many people and the reason why we play videogames.

My 1st post, so hello everyone. 

Most games, or plats for that matter aren't really all that memorable. I try to platinum most games I play, trying a semi-healthy approach of not playing crappy games just for the sake of trophies, but making the most of the games I find at least moderately fun, even if it means collectibles. I really, really hate collectibles if they're not adding anything to the game... It's basically something that I've practiced even before trophies appeared, on PSX and PS2 for example - when I liked the game, I tried to do everything in it. Anyway, most of the time, I plat the game, have a few seconds of satisfaction (or relief :) ), then move on. I don't think it's supposed to be some kind of a mythical experience, where you're happy for days after getting a plat. Bloodborne gave me a bit more satisfaction, mostly because I was scared of how hard it supposedly was. Turned out it really wasn't. Demanding, sure, but not hard at all and it's one of those rare platinums that I truly like having. Most of the time I just remember games that had an impact on me, usually story-wise. But it's like 5% of the games I've played (optimistically speaking), the rest I forget very quickly, even if they were fun when I've played them. Same with trophies. Most of them are just for killing time and filling checklists. Be it a checklist ingame or a checklist on this site. 

I do agree with something that was already said here though, how getting every trophy often means dropping the game entirely. I'm guilty of that too, even if I want to play a game I already platted, I usually choose to invest my time in something new that I can get trophies in. Two birds with one stone I guess. 

But I made myself a promise to revisit BB when it's available for free tomorrow, so that's a step in a more healthy direction ;)

Edited by the1andonly654
  • Like 1

Play the game for the sake of having fun playing the game, not just yoloing it to get a stupid trophy and delete the game right after that. No one cares how many Plats you have. No one is going to pat you on the back because you 100% Witcher because you killed 50 people with a crossbow, the world doesn't care, your friends don't care.

Edited by theSpirae
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, theSpirae said:

Play the game for the sake of having fun playing the game, not just yoloing it to get a stupid trophy and delete the game right after that. No one cares how many Plats you have. No one is going to pat you on the back because you 100% Witcher because you killed 50 people with a crossbow, the world doesn't care, your friends don't care.

1408756641126.png

• Like 3

On 3.3.2018 at 10:27 PM, Tusked-Lattice said:

I just got the platinum for Witcher 3,it took me a long time to do literally the last 2 weeks of just playing the Witcher 3 and nothing else I thought I would be happy or something after all the work it doing repetitive tasks like playing Gwent and head shotting enemies with a worthless crossbow but I feel....nothing, it's not regret as such because I have another platinum but I thought I'd be happy or have some sense of achievement but I don't right after I got the plat I deleted the game 2 minutes later and started considering what I should plat next if anything.

Has anyone else had this feeling and how do you deal with it? 

Yes, I know the feeling and it is pretty normal for you to have, considering that you've played The Witcher 3 for 2 weeks non-stop.

You were attached to the game. It could be the characters, the world itself, the soundtrack or even the dragging tasks for the platinum. Probably it's many aspects of the game.

What I want to say is, wether you like something or not, you can become attached to it. It's habit. When you plat a game, it is usally finished and mostly you wont come back to that game, what means that something is changing. We human beings are really good with changes, aren't we? ;) 

And one more thing, dont search for happiness in a particular event .. imo its not healthy to always focus on becoming happy. If you are always happy, you feel normal.

Try to enjoy the progress/journey.

I've tried to avoid that feeling for a while now, but sometimes I get caught up with trying to pull through the game. My recent example is a game called Screencheat. The game was fun at first since I was playing with another friend, we were getting the trophies no problem. The annoyance is when it comes across some trophies that you have the grind the living hell out of is what burns me out (which is why my completion percentage is 20%). I eventually have to put down the game and just move to something else, especially because my attention span isn't the best. Eventually one day I'll want to go back to that game and beat it with no problem.. although with Screencheat I forced myself through the challenge stages of the game which literally made me want to scream. After getting that platinum I was in just a meh mood I had no idea what I wanted to do lol.

Also not sure how fond of multiplayer games you are, but my "get-away" from trophies, even though I've platinumed this game too, is Overwatch. So if I'm not trophy hunting, I'm playing Overwatch with some friends, blowing some steam, having a fun time. Maybe if you get attached to some multiplayer game it'll get rid of that for you as well. (if you wanted your solution to be a video game)

My experience has been, if you play through a game you know 100% you can plat, you get the emptiness afterward. But when you attempt a game you're not 100% sure on for any reason... when you get that trophy that would have been the last one to stop you, that one feels GREAT.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, rdhight said:

My experience has been, if you play through a game you know 100% you can plat, you get the emptiness afterward. But when you attempt a game you're not 100% sure on for any reason... when you get that trophy that would have been the last one to stop you, that one feels GREAT.

There's something in the middle though, a game you know you can plat, but you're not sure if you're willing to, due to the grind or the number of playthroughs. For example, Knack for me lately. More annoying than hard, 4,5 playthroughs to plat with farming. The final 2 playthroughs just for 2 difficulty trophies and the plat. No happiness, no emptiness, just the "what's next" feeling, with a hint of 12 hours of my life wasted for 3 trophies 

Writing this actually makes me wonder how much time I've wasted getting trophies just for the sake of getting them. I mean after finishing the game, just some bs 'kill 2 million people with a knife while balancing on your eyebrows', nonsense trophies

btw, is it me, or it sounds like trophy hunters anonymous in here? :) 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, the1andonly654 said:

btw, is it me, or it sounds like trophy hunters anonymous in here? :) 

At first, it only took a Telltale game to make me happy for days. But soon it took more and more platinum trophies to get that feeling back. I told people I could quit any time I wanted, but really I was just thinking about how to grind, cheese, farm, or boost anything I could. Now only ultra rares can make the shakes stop. OH GOD, IT HURTS

• Like 1

No, I haven't. The main thing I like about getting 100%s or platinums (no difference to me) is the feeling of pride at the end. Hard games are especially rewarding, which is why I play them. I feel a sense of amazement after completing one, it's fantastic. On the other hand - if it was grindy trophies, then I probably would feel the same as you. There is really nothing impressive about such trophies, nor have I ever felt any pride after earning. That's why I sometimes (not always) ignore them. 

Edited by Midnightwards666

I fail to see how someone feels empty after earning the platinum in Witcher 3. 

If anything I would feel a sense of accomplishment after a game like that because of the time required. 

Games that I feel empty on are ones that didn’t take any effort, like My Name is Mayo or Orc Slayer. Because just about anyone can get those platinums. 

Witcher 3 may not be that difficult, but I’ve spent collectively 40 hours on it and I’ve barely grazed the surface. From what I’ve played I really enjoy the game, and it will be my 150th platinum. 

• Like 1

No emptiness after a plat for me... After researching a game and getting the plat it feels nice to know my gaming sensibilities is being rewarded/validated by a game/plat that added more to me than the time it 'borrowed'(didn't want to be a negative nancy[nate?] and say 'took').

Only 2 of my plats left me somewhat empty. The first one(hitman go) I cheated myself by using a guide for an easy plat. Learned that lesson. The next one was just a depressing game with a depressing ending. The platinum literally pops with the main character on the verge of sorrowful tears. Outside these 2 instances, my other plats were either "hmm, not too shabby" or "hmm, might need to replay this game again on a rainy day for a good vibe."

So not much emptiness from plats. Besides the indecisiveness of what to play next, the plat coupled with that personal screenshot is more an accomplishment milestone or memory marker, especially for games that are challenging in a satisfying way.

Edited by SpellbladeKnight

plan the next game before you finish the game your on. im just now getting to wolfenstein that ive had since december because i buy so many games in advane so i can jump right into another one asap. also im very experienced at women leaving that some feeling upon me or any friends ive known when they cheat on me or them, so i can cope lmao

On 3/5/2018 at 2:35 PM, theSpirae said:

Because obviously people only platinum games in order to be able to violently shove them into peoples' faces, and not for any sort of self-satisfaction or personal reward system.

Grow up and stop projecting.

Edited by regularegg

On 03/03/2018 at 9:27 PM, Tusked-Lattice said:

I just got the platinum for Witcher 3,it took me a long time to do literally the last 2 weeks of just playing the Witcher 3 and nothing else I thought I would be happy or something after all the work it doing repetitive tasks like playing Gwent and head shotting enemies with a worthless crossbow but I feel....nothing, it's not regret as such because I have another platinum but I thought I'd be happy or have some sense of achievement but I don't right after I got the plat I deleted the game 2 minutes later and started considering what I should plat next if anything.

Has anyone else had this feeling and how do you deal with it? 

Obviously it is very difficult to provide even a halfway accurate insight nor commentary into your psyche from the few posts you have provided.....HOWEVER.....that anti-climatic feeling you have described is often associated with the longer, more immersive games such as Witcher III, Red Dead Redemption, The Last of Us, Final Fantasy franchise etc. I feel it speaks more to the rich, vibrant and all consuming 'world' (along with a wonderful narrative/plot) the games developers manage to create for us. It takes a whole lot of effort to journey through the aforementioned for the platinum'. You did mention only really pursuing the platinum' in games so maybe your Witcher III 'run' was a sharp changeup to everything else you have been pursuing?

On 07/03/2018 at 1:11 AM, rdhight said:

At first, it only took a Telltale game to make me happy for days. But soon it took more and more platinum trophies to get that feeling back. I told people I could quit any time I wanted, but really I was just thinking about how to grind, cheese, farm, or boost anything I could. Now only ultra rares can make the shakes stop. OH GOD, IT HURTS

Ironically this is somewhat closer to my own ideology. The ultra rare below 0.50% category is a 'world within a world' and separates the true skill level of trophy hunters or gamers in general because you can actually see those whom have undertaken the challenge before you & F-A-I-L-E-D (whilst usually consoling themselves with tales of 'being able to if i REALLY wanted to AND/OR had the time/motivation ?!!!) That feeling of relief/elation/accomplishment once acquiring the final trophies in STATISTICALLY the most difficult titles on Earth somewhat negates the feeling(s) of anti-climax the OP made reference to (at least for myself as a completionist.) Video games are entertainment, to be played for enjoyment. HOW/WHY is up to the individual.....

Edited by TheFoundling
  • Like 1

It's a bit of depression but also the looming fact that there is always more to be earned, always more games to play, always servers shutting down soon, etc.

It's never a goal that actually ends, there is no happiness reward. 

Great, you finished your job?  Now here's some more work to do. 

Edited by DARKB1KE

Depends on the game. It's not always a plat either. After a long grind such as KZ2 valour trophies I was like yay I got the trophy, with GOML 1000 tank kills I was like finally I got the boring trophy. 

Other games I play purely for the plat and I usually sing out loud Another one bites the dust ah ha! Then games like FEAR 2 I felt a sense of accomplishment I was the first in my country to get the plat that I know of and AFAIK the only one to have it. It really depends on the game.