Debug mode ingame found! (works on EVERY version of the game)

Just finished my plat run of this, took me 6ish hours with like an hour break. You can activate the mode as soon as you hit the tutorial and all the trophies will pop there. Flying mode really helps when trying to gather collectibles.

The zeppelin trophy popped randomly for me, popped when collecting a scout fly in the first lava section, it also wasn't there when I came back to cleanup so maybe that's a bit buggier.

Wiki updated. The most important thing that I have to share is that by pressing L3 + X on a second controller (this applies to PS3 and PS4 too, surprisingly enough) you can replenish ammo and get 1000 orbs / metal head skulls. Demonstrated here:

At second 0:54 you can see 1000 skulls and orbs being added to the counter.

Now, I see people which said that it had "nothing interesting" earlier in the thread. This instead seems like something really "big". You can basically instaearn 6 trophies by simply pressing two buttons with the debug settings. @MMDE and all the cheat research team (I don't know how to define you guys), this is going to be extremely relevant in the future.

• Like 2

You can apparently do this on Vita as well. Talking to someone on Discord they said their BF got it working on there, as the rear touchpad on the Vita corresponds to the missing buttons, so holding bottom left of the touchpad is recognized as pressing L3.

I'm at work and don't have the games downloaded, but if someone else could confirm that. Couldn't do the second controller tricks obviously but could not die and fly around and whatnot. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Sergen said:

They won't be updating the PS3 version to remove the debug menu, the game has been on PS3 for over 5 years and the games on PS4 are the PS2 versions of the games so unless they release a different version of the Jak games entirely to the PSN store on PS4 then I also don't see those being changed. Unlike the Uncharted trilogy, the Jak games are incredibly old and people find new discoveries for them all the time like skips for entire levels and so on, it's a much less important franchise compared to Uncharted to them, they haven't added a game to the main Jak series in nearly 14 years now. 

You never know, I am just telling you from ND’s track record, they added the grounded mode way after the game stopped receiving support for TLOU so I am just saying, their track record clearly shows how they like to keep things serious. 

2 minutes ago, S_y_n_e_IR_g_Y said:

If this works on the Vita version aswel would be awesome, the controls in the second part are just awful..:D1

Don't be surprised if debug mode crashes the vita versions of the games, the games are so horribly made that they likely couldn't even handle it. 

2 minutes ago, Soufwar said:

You never know, I am just telling you from ND’s track record, they added the grounded mode way after the game stopped receiving support for TLOU so I am just saying, their track record clearly shows how they like to keep things serious. 

They can never fully remove it from PS3 at least, because there's a retail copy and any patch they make can just be deleted for PS3 in that case. On PS4 the patches would be applied instantly upon downloading the games, if they ever decide to patch it. I kind of doubt they'll patch it though because these games have no online features/leaderboards and it doesn't ruin the game for anyone else. In all seriousness, nobody should really need debug mode to complete the Jak games, people should be trying to find debug menus that unlock unobtainable trophies for games that the servers were shut down on. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sergen said:

Don't be surprised if debug mode crashes the vita versions of the games, the games are so horribly made that they likely couldn't even handle it. 

Yeah, even in the normal game, the frame rate drops so often that you think the vita chrashes.

Well let's see it's an attempt, on the ps2 they ran even better to my mind :D

39 minutes ago, Sergen said:

They can never fully remove it from PS3 at least, because there's a retail copy and any patch they make can just be deleted for PS3 in that case. On PS4 the patches would be applied instantly upon downloading the games, if they ever decide to patch it. I kind of doubt they'll patch it though because these games have no online features/leaderboards and it doesn't ruin the game for anyone else. In all seriousness, nobody should really need debug mode to complete the Jak games, people should be trying to find debug menus that unlock unobtainable trophies for games that the servers were shut down on. 

The debug mode is great, i agree that some debug modes for games that got unobtainable trophies would be amazing though *-*

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Sergen said:

In all seriousness, nobody should really need debug mode to complete the Jak games, people should be trying to find debug menus that unlock unobtainable trophies for games that the servers were shut down on. 

Actually, it's a godsend for speedrunners. Being able to get to any point you want would be fantastic for being able to get better at parts you're struggling with without having to make a bunch of saves that you might use. It can also be used as a debug any% run, but that would just be a meme run that's done like once or twice or as a celebration for a good run or something.

Also, y'know, for people who played the game and found out they didn't like it. Who do actually exist.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Heartlesswaheart said:

It can also be used as a debug any% run

Leaderboards for that already exist on speedrun.com actually. Jak 1 is 4 minutes long, Jak 2 is 44 seconds long and Jak 3 needs to be optimized but the approximation of a good run is somewhere between 5 and 6 minutes.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, crashratchet said:

Leaderboards for that already exist on speedrun.com actually. Jak 1 is 4 minutes long, Jak 2 is 44 seconds long and Jak 3 needs to be optimized but the approximation of a good run is somewhere between 5 and 6 minutes.

Yeah, I already saw them. Those were pretty great, with the Jak 2 run being the best just because of how quick it is.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, crashratchet said:

Do you know why they're not required to activate debug mode during the run? How is what they do in Jak 2 any different to beating a game and then starting your speedrun from chapter select?

42 minutes ago, mekktor said:

Do you know why they're not required to activate debug mode during the run? How is what they do in Jak 2 any different to beating a game and then starting your speedrun from chapter select?

Debug mode is actually activated in the main menu, but once active it remains even if you reset. You know if it's not a valid run if you can't see any text on the top left corner of the screen at any time. In that case the run is just "NG+", and consequentially invalid. Also, it will start always at 0 orbs/skulls if you use debug mode, since you start in an empty save by default when you select the chapter.

• Like 1

Yes, this is okay. I see you mention the Supercar games, and yeah, that was my discovery. ;) I actually discovered such a debug menu in Rayman M too. Will make a video on that one day. The debug menu in Rayman M is pretty insane though xD 

• Like 1

I've tested this Yesterday on TPL (Ps4 Version), and it is Amazing: I've been able to fly all over the various worlds, and I've even been able to reach the Misty Island Flying from the Sandover Village. Do that, the Island is much more "pixelable" than usual, and some parts of the ground are not even present. Same for the Tutorial Level (I don't remember the English name, my bad), which is much smaller than it should be.

I've also tried reaching the Rocky Village, but since it was too far, I stopped.

Btw this is an amazing thing!

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, KenjiCBZ said:

I've tested this Yesterday on TPL (Ps4 Version), and it is Amazing: I've been able to fly all over the various worlds, and I've even been able to reach the Misty Island Flying from the Sandover Village. Do that, the Island is much more "pixelable" than usual, and some parts of the ground are not even present. Same for the Tutorial Level (I don't remember the English name, my bad), which is much smaller than it should be.

I've also tried reaching the Rocky Village, but since it was too far, I stopped.

Btw this is an amazing thing!

That is because the areas are not really loaded, it's just sprites, no collision detection or anything.

7 minutes ago, MMDE said:

That is because the areas are not really loaded

Yep. I had fun moving around with free cam in the area where there's the fountain in Jak 3 (I don't really know how to describe it, it's the fountain with a precursor orb on top of it) and I saw that the further I went, the more the shape of the fountain changed. It starts as a pentagon from far away, and when you get closer the polygons just...expand and slowly create a circular shape. Pretty neat, I'd say.

Edited by crashratchet

9 minutes ago, crashratchet said:

Yep. I had fun moving around with free cam in the area where there's the fountain in Jak 3 (I don't really know how to describe it, it's the fountain with a precursor orb on top of it) and I saw that the further I went, the more the shape of the fountain changed. It starts as a pentagon from far away, and when you get closer the polygons just...expand and slowly create a circular shape. Pretty neat, I'd say.

In Jak 1, I tried to enter free cam mode in the intro! xD When you then exit, Jak spawns and falls. Also, if you die and press jump while falling to death, you can get black Jak. ;) 

And doing free cam in the intro allowed me to skip the tutorial island!

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, MMDE said:

In Jak 1, I tried to enter free cam mode in the intro! xD When you then exit, Jak spawns and falls. Also, if you die and press jump while falling to death, you can get black Jak. ;) 

Also worth mentioning that if you spam R2 while falling you can survive death LOL. 

Btw, edited the first post. Apparently the speedrunners and the guys who are researching deep in this debug mode figured out a way to make the debug mode work on Vita too. It's limited to Controller 1 functions only but hey, having free cam in all games is still a great thing imo.

Edited by crashratchet

9 hours ago, crashratchet said:

Also worth mentioning that if you spam R2 while falling you can survive death LOL. 

Btw, edited the first post. Apparently the speedrunners and the guys who are researching deep in this debug mode figured out a way to make the menu work on Vita too. It's limited to Controller 1 functions only but hey, having free cam in all games is still a great thing imo.

It's the surviving of the fall that makes you go black. ;) Black Jak.

Also, camera mode in intro and falling to death allows you to skip the tutorial island, so you don't need to get the trophies from that straight away.

Actually, entering the camera mode during cut scenes and then exiting allows you to jump to location of the cut scene and continue from there. ;) 

Edited by MMDE

5 hours ago, Scalith_ said:

Dammit, Right as I platted the first game haha.

I guess I won't bother with the rest until someone finds an optimal route to plat the game with these new findings.

Really? Its not like these games are hard/terrible. They're all good games!

47 minutes ago, WorldsBestSpy said:

Really? Its not like these games are hard/terrible. They're all good games!

True that, but there may be some people that can't be bothered playing them again twice or three times to get their platinum trophy on PS3, PS4 and PSVita for...reasons, I suppose. After all, we live in a free world where people have different opinions from one another. I personally don't mind, but being a speedrunner I'd also like to experiment and see how...well, you can get the platinum as fast as humanly possible basically. So seeing how stuff changes in the future as regards platinum routing with debug mode is gonna be amazing.

And I mean, there are games like Sound Shapes that allow you to stack multiple trophy lists as long as one of them is legit, so I don't see why you wouldn't "stack" platinums here thanks to this debug feature. I don't know myself if I'm going to do it, since I stopped caring about trophies for a while now. But if someone else is going to follow this reasoning, I don't blame them. In the end, the game is still there, you can play it as the developers intended whenever you want, it's just a matter of choice.

• Like 2

I played and didn't dislike Jak I and III> I skipped II. While I played most of this era of games at the time they came out, I didn't play the Jak series, so maybe I was expecting it to be more than it was. I enjoyed the Spiro and Ratchet and Sly games more. Now, when Spiro comes out later this year, I will probably find it too hasn't aged as well as my memory of the game would have suggested it would.

So, back to this - since I own the game series on disk, I would probably clean up Jak II if the debug mode made it less of a chore in some way. I am interested in the collection for PS4 as I'd like to play the Kart game, so might debug through the games again, if this does make the plat quick and easy. As crashratchet says, why not?

• Like 1