Mugen Souls Z guide for masochists

NanaCheese94

Just now, PermaFox said:

This is unbelievable!! Thanks for all the information, I'm totally jazzed to start this game!

Thanks! :D There will be more in the future, but I can tell you right now JUST by explaining how Fusion abilities work I saved you an hour or two of frustrated walking around lol

I can't believe it took me almost the whole game to figure that mechanic out, even with the ingame help. 

2 minutes ago, PermaFox said:

I started the game and was overwhelmed from the start.  Didn't realize you would be upgrading weapons etc.  What you have written here is a great primer!

Glad to hear that! I think it also is important to see a guide from someone who is not micro managing at all and still managed to beat the hardest enemies. Upgrading your weapons helps the most by enabling you to go through the Mugen field consistently. Once I upgraded Supras Scythe I was blazing through it and gained tons of money and exp.

I really think they should've had less characters, less skills etc to make it less overwhelming in the beginning. it also doesn't help that you get the strong DLC weapons from the beginning because you are absolutely not prepared for the post game because of it 

1 hour ago, NanaCheese94 said:

Which free DLC should I download before starting:

All of them dude, it’s free! It is pretty annoying the way the PSN store is set up and I didn’t bother to find out what each DLC does BUT one of them gives you very good weapons for free that will carry you until post game.

What team did you use:

Two things I would suggest:

As far as the DLC goes, I'm of the opposite opinion, that you shouldn't download any of the free stuff if you're pursuing the Platinum.  Because while you can LOLstomp the main game with it just by being obscenely overpowered, it won't help you learn the mechanics of the game and will leave you sorely lacking when enemy power catches up to you.  MSZ -- the main storyline -- isn't that hard of a game and you can always grind for stuff to help you out, but if you're relying upon the crutch of near-super equipment that you haven't had to work for, you won't learn how to do certain things.

As for a team?  If you're going for the Platinum, pick the four characters you like the most and focus solely on them.  Because that's who you're going to have to look at and listen to for 100+ hours of postgame grind.  And don't worry about weapon/personality stuff with Syrma (and Chou-Chou in the postgame, if you use her) because it isn't as meaningful as you might think.  I'd suggest picking a weapon that isn't duplicative of her teammates on the active team and/or a weapon with a range that you're comfortable with for Charm purposes.  Just be aware that the weapon range is frequently the Charm radius, so something like a Bazooka might make it difficult to isolate a particular enemy/crystal whereas something with little range similarly makes it difficult to aim for multiple targets at the same time.

If you're grinding out Shampuru and/or going after the Big Crystal for quick/easy wins, you're liable to change Syrma's (or Chou-Chou's) personality all the time, anyhow.  So setting her up to take advantage of a particular combination isn't going to help in those situations.  And that's really Syrma's role: Charming stuff, especially when one is looking at powerful enemies with a huge pool of HP that takes a while to otherwise whittle down.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, acasser said:

Two things I would suggest:

As far as the DLC goes, I'm of the opposite opinion, that you shouldn't download any of the free stuff if you're pursuing the Platinum.  Because while you can LOLstomp the main game with it just by being obscenely overpowered, it won't help you learn the mechanics of the game and will leave you sorely lacking when enemy power catches up to you.  MSZ -- the main storyline -- isn't that hard of a game and you can always grind for stuff to help you out, but if you're relying upon the crutch of near-super equipment that you haven't had to work for, you won't learn how to do certain things.

As for a team?  If you're going for the Platinum, pick the four characters you like the most and focus solely on them.  Because that's who you're going to have to look at and listen to for 100+ hours of postgame grind.  And don't worry about weapon/personality stuff with Syrma (and Chou-Chou in the postgame, if you use her) because it isn't as meaningful as you might think.  I'd suggest picking a weapon that isn't duplicative of her teammates on the active team and/or a weapon with a range that you're comfortable with for Charm purposes.  Just be aware that the weapon range is frequently the Charm radius, so something like a Bazooka might make it difficult to isolate a particular enemy/crystal whereas something with little range similarly makes it difficult to aim for multiple targets at the same time.

If you're grinding out Shampuru and/or going after the Big Crystal for quick/easy wins, you're liable to change Syrma's (or Chou-Chou's) personality all the time, anyhow.  So setting her up to take advantage of a particular combination isn't going to help in those situations.  And that's really Syrma's role: Charming stuff, especially when one is looking at powerful enemies with a huge pool of HP that takes a while to otherwise whittle down.

I agree with most of this. What you describe about the DLC weapons is 100% what happend to me. Still, I think if you want to be as quick as possible it's still a viable option.

It is one of the reasons I'm writing this guide the way it is because I think many people will fall into the same trap and I want to help them in a dummy proof way.

Team really doesn't matter, I think i mentioned that somewhere too. I'd say Chou-Chou is a must though in the post game, double charming is jsut so extremly good! And I just use hyper affinity all the time because it gives the biggest movement range, which is useful pretty much all the time. I will absolutely refrain from giving any advise on what to equip to characters or how to build them correctly, because I have no idea how to min max it myself. I'll just lay out how I did it.

After using and learning the things you teached me about peon fusion I'll also write that into the guide.

Thanks for the guide! I also wanted to do a guide before, but I couldn't figure out the battle system effectively. I hope to get to it sooner than later, but you know backlog.

Off topic: Fave Swiss cheeses: Gruyere and Appenzeller! Yum :D I also miss biberli.

• Like 1

Just now, Edunstar84 said:

Thanks for the guide! I also wanted to do a guide before, but I couldn't figure out the battle system effectively. I hope to get to it sooner than later, but you know backlog.

Off topic: Fave Swiss cheeses: Gruyere and Appenzeller! Yum :D I also miss biberli.

The fighting system really is a little weird in the beginning. We should just thank the developers for making it actually turn based so it's not also stressful at the same time.

For me the AOE based skills are key, especially in the Mugen Field. (Those rae the purple icon skills) They pretty much wipe everything in a few turns. I know it's cheesy, but that's what I'm all about ;D But as someone who can appreciate good cheese you'll get used to it I'm sure xD

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Blackmist_FFXI said:

Ill have ta book mark your guide when its 100%.

Personally. Ive only gotten 20% done w 1st mugen souls xD thought disgaea series was overhwleming

None the less. Deffently. Keeping this in back pocket.

From what I heard they are basicaly the same game but Mugen Souls Z is a LOT less grindy. Also it has apparently been upgraded with other good features that makes is less awful than Mugen Souls. So if you already have some experience, maybe from Disgea, it should be a better experience for you.

30 minutes ago, NanaCheese94 said:

From what I heard they are basicaly the same game but Mugen Souls Z is a LOT less grindy. Also it has apparently been upgraded with other good features that makes is less awful than Mugen Souls. So if you already have some experience, maybe from Disgea, it should be a better experience for you.

Maybe :D

Enjoy the hell outta disgaea.

1st mugen game was just a mind boggle. Lol not bad but meeeh there was better games.  As for Z i just know story wise it pickup seconds after the end of the 1st. 

Got it when it was free on ps+ ill get around to it eventually. 

Good to know its been tweaked better

3 hours ago, NanaCheese94 said:

I agree with most of this. What you describe about the DLC weapons is 100% what happend to me. Still, I think if you want to be as quick as possible it's still a viable option.

It is one of the reasons I'm writing this guide the way it is because I think many people will fall into the same trap and I want to help them in a dummy proof way.

Team really doesn't matter, I think i mentioned that somewhere too. I'd say Chou-Chou is a must though in the post game, double charming is jsut so extremly good! And I just use hyper affinity all the time because it gives the biggest movement range, which is useful pretty much all the time. I will absolutely refrain from giving any advise on what to equip to characters or how to build them correctly, because I have no idea how to min max it myself. I'll just lay out how I did it.

It's simply my opinion that the time the DLC weapons save you in the main game will be lost un-learning bad habits and learning the proper ones in the postgame when it's no longer possible to simply roll over enemies with raw power.  Probably with interest.  Better that a player learns the battle systems early and loses a little time doing so, unless having to go through that "struggle" in the main game is the sort of thing that turns them off to the game entirely.  At least in my opinion.

As for team, I agree with you that Chou-Chou is a significant help in the postgame.  But speaking from personal experience, it's not a requirement in the very least.  It's more efficient and can save you time, but it doesn't really affect the difficulty.  It helps with the grind, but not quite as much as you'd think.

3 hours ago, NanaCheese94 said:

They are pretty much the same game.  Heck, MSZ's story is largely the same as the original's story, and there's a lot of similarity between characters as well.

But MSZ is a lot less grindy when it comes to the postgame and the trophies.  Probably by a factor of 3, give or take.  The original is a 500-600 hour platinum -- and a game that a number of people cheat given their trophy lists.  MSZ can probably be done in 125-150 hours, although my save file is up around 185 or so.  But I seldom do NISA/Compile Heart games in the "most optimal" fashion because that's not really how I enjoy playing those sorts of games.

So increasing your level cap is bad in terms of the Mogen Field (for those who can't beat 90-99 easily and get slaughtered on 100)? If I Peon Fuse back to level 1, would that help?

What if I raised a Peon's level to 1000, then fused with a level 1000 in my main party, would that be ore beneficial?

Edited by DrHambone

9 hours ago, DrHambone said:

So increasing your level cap is bad in terms of the Mogen Field (for those who can't beat 90-99 easily and get slaughtered on 100)? If I Peon Fuse back to level 1, would that help?

What if I raised a Peon's level to 1000, then fused with a level 1000 in my main party, would that be ore beneficial?

I think the monsters in the mugen field orient themselves on the level cap of your main characters somewhat. But I've only read that information without much explanation elsewhere. I'll have a closer look into it and hopefuly I can find the information again.

Since you already unlocked the level cap, I think it won't help to peon back to lvl 1

8 hours ago, greenzsaber said:

Some vids I made a long time ago. Ultimately, stat grinding isn't needed one bit if you just want the plat. 

That's exactly the way I did it too, but with a bit stronger characters. It really helps to have Bertram, because he has a conditional skill that sometimes saves him from dying.

Conditional skills in general are very helpful in keeping you alive, and of course chocolate spaming.

Thanks for the Peon Fusion stuff added. 

So i should get two peons high levels then fuse them, then fuse with my main party?

So it would be somewhat beneficial to get a peon's level to match one of my main people then fuse them? I could get a peon level 1000 to match the current cap of 1000 with one of my team. 

The monsters do adjust based on your level however their health is still really low and their stats are low as well. Running through a 100 MP bet is still really easy with one hits to the enemies even though their levels are half or similar to my teams. 

Also, I started using Chou-Chou in my team. It helps alot having two people captivating things. 

4 hours ago, NanaCheese94 said:

Mugen Souls Z Guide Update:

I added a small section trying to explain peon fusion as simple as possible.
Please leave some feedback if it's understandable or in case I've been writing complete garbage.

No garbage so far!  I'm testing your guide as I go along and will report back!  Once this guide is where you are happy with it, it really should be submitted for a guide!  I'd vote for it.

Edited by PermaFox

13 minutes ago, DrHambone said:

Thanks for the Peon Fusion stuff added. 

So i should get two peons high levels then fuse them, then fuse with my main party?

So it would be somewhat beneficial to get a peon's level to match one of my main people then fuse them? I could get a peon level 1000 to match the current cap of 1000 with one of my team. 

The monsters do adjust based on your level however their health is still really low and their stats are low as well. Running through a 100 MP bet is still really easy with one hits to the enemies even though their levels are half or similar to my teams. 

Also, I started using Chou-Chou in my team. It helps alot having two people captivating things. 

I only recently started peon fusioning too. I don't think there is serious harm if you fuse them together before lvl 9999 (you'll loose out on some boni though), but you need to look out for the base stats. The character who receives the fusion HAS to have lower stats, otherwise it all goes to waste an you'll have to relevel the Peon. 

I'll do more testing around tonight so I'll probably adjust the section about peon farming and add some more info. I still think there is a little more at play here than I understand yet.

17 minutes ago, PermaFox said:

No garbage so far!  I'm testing your guide as I go along and will report back!  Once this guide is where you are happy with it, it really should be submitted for a guide!  I'd vote for it.

Thank you! Once I get the platinum I'll try to convert this into a real trophy guide.

• Like 1

When you're doing Peon-to-Peon fusion, I wouldn't worry about the levels of the Peons in question.  What you're trying to do there is raising the affinities/growth rates for those Peons, so that those numbers -- NOT the base stats -- are high enough to give some benefit to your main characters when you eventually fuse one of those Peons to a main character.  It doesn't matter if Peons have all the staying power and strength of limp spaghetti if you never trot them out onto the battlefield.

When you're doing Peon-to-Main fusion, you want both characters at Level 9999.  Not just because you'll see the greatest benefit in those affinity/growth rate numbers, but because that's how you see benefit to base stats as well.  When you do fusions at lower levels, especially if you do repeated fusions at lower levels, there's a significant decay that gets built in and that's very harmful to creating more powerful main characters.

If you're going to do a bunch of Peon-to-Main fusions with the idea of transferring Skills or Conditional Skills from the generics to your main characters, and you're insistent on doing it early on when you can't easily level characters to really high levels, do it before you start with Peon-to-Main fusions designed to increase base stats and affinities/growth rates.  Because doing it afterwards will erase a lot of your hard work in building up the raw numbers on your Mains.  There's still going to be a deleterious effect on things in an overall sense, but better to do it before you build things up than to see all that work washed away.

• Like 2

Ok, sounds like I will avoid Peon Fusion for now - I'm getting crazy stat benefits by raising my equipment levels. My main is way OP ATM, did the first world challenge and she carried the team. Second one, not so much. I can win it but I'd have to constantly revive everyone and have her spam God Smash Rage (or whatever it's called) and Cosmic Loveliness. But I feel my U.Soul would overload at some point.

9 hours ago, DrHambone said:

Ok, sounds like I will avoid Peon Fusion for now - I'm getting crazy stat benefits by raising my equipment levels. My main is way OP ATM, did the first world challenge and she carried the team. Second one, not so much. I can win it but I'd have to constantly revive everyone and have her spam God Smash Rage (or whatever it's called) and Cosmic Loveliness. But I feel my U.Soul would overload at some point.

Thats why I said raise your damage carnival to farm Gold to enhance your equipment...

Keep in mind which stat is your characters best one, and buy equipment and use skills according to that. Skills do have an affinity towards certain stats.