Most overrated game on PS4?

LaWiToR

Thought it would be fun to read what you think is the most overrated game on PS4? A game everyone loves and talks about but when you play it you just find it poor or boring.

If I had to pick one, it would be Hellblade Senua's Sacrifice. It was alright, but the gameplay felt so repetitive and the puzzles really bored me. Obviously, there were parts that I liked, the story, voice acting and the connection with mental illness etc but overall I felt that the game was hyped up so I was kind of disappointed at the end. Another game is Lost Legacy, the quality is up there with Uncharted 4 but I found the characters and missions somewhat boring. It does not mean that the game is bad, it was just not as fun as it is made out to be imo.

Your turn ✌️

• Like 3

RiME, I played it thanks to the PS Plus and I found it a horrible game. I did not understand what to do, where to go, and the character was too damn slow. I don't understand how people claim that this game is a masterpiece. Thank to god I took no trophy, otherwise I would have been forced to plat the game just because of that throphy I took.

Edited by KenjiCBZ
  • Like 4

Really hard to say, as "overrated" essentially means "one shouldn't like a game, as much as they should." Also, a lot of things are based on context. If you haven't heard of Hellblade and played it w/o any preconceived notions, you find yourself impressed with it.

Having said all of that, it Nier for me at the moment. I haven't enough hours in it to make a valid opinion but the story did not grab me as much as I thought it would have and there seemed to some technical issues like pop-ins and framerate drops. Good game, but far from perfect.

Where do I begin?

There's tonnes, but I think I'll have to be a wingman to fellow Aussie, @AuzzieWingman, and say Everybody's Gone to the Rapture.

Thing is boring as all fuck. No real gameplay either. It's the actual definition of a walking sim. I can play some other walking sims, and I'm sure there's even been a few I enjoyed, but this thing just sucked ass in every aspect.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, skateak said:

Hotline Miami 

Hotline Miami was technically on the PS3 first so I don't really consider it to be a PS4 game firsthand.

Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number is a lot more difficult, as well as a lot more frustrating.

------

Horizon Zero Dawn - I praised this game when I got the platinum because it was well, my 100th platinum that I earned last summer. But looking at it closely, the only thing that really stands out is the graphics. Graphically the game is beautiful. There's no doubt about that. But the story, along with many of the characters, really aren't anything that spectacular. Aloy is seemingly annoyed with many of the tribes old way of doing things, but she has no choice than to help them bring down a threat. Sylens, who in many ways is an isolationist and fiercely independent much like Aloy, is rather bitter and I grew sick of him by near the end of the game. Aloy and Sylens relationship never improve at all, even while they made progress on learning about the old world that used to dominate the planet they fight to survive in. Even during the Frozen Wilds DLC, Sylens bickers with Aloy regarding her questions about his origins.

Much of the game is helping the tribes people against the machines. Once you've done a few missions from the starting area (before you venture out to the desert) you will pretty much know what most of the gameplay will be.

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy - In some aspects I personally liked Uncharted: The Lost Legacy a little more than Horizon Zero Dawn, but like that game, the biggest strength of Lost Legacy is the graphics. Exploring the Indian jungles was a sight to behold, and finding the first lost city is breathtaking. Graphics in video games have come a long way since I started gaming.

But that's the best that came out of Lost Legacy. The story is predictable, the characters are dull, the collectibles are the same 'find this artifact in an obscure nook and cranny' borefest that we saw in Uncharted 4.

Chloe Frazier doesn't have the charm she had in Uncharted 2. Plus we don't really know her story all that well until late in the game. Nadine Ross was a bit of a badass in Uncharted 4 but here she just comes across as overly reserved and bad tempered. A certain someone was shoed in and was completely unnecessary for the overall plot. The only character I was any impressed with was the villain, and unfortunately he wasn't quite as memorable as past Uncharted villains.

Plus Naughty Dog stole a segment from Uncharted 2 to put into this game, only it wasn't nearly as exciting. I took a few weeks away from this game because it was just so damn boring for me to hunt all the collectibles and then listen to Chloe and Nadine bicker to each other. I was so happy to get the platinum, because I'm not playing this game anytime soon. I'm sure as hell not going to put it on my alt, finishing it once was bad enough.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

-GTA

-COD

-Metal gear solid V - They really fucked it up at that point and I love the series

-Final Fantasy XV - most of the people who like it haven't play any of the others and all of the fans hate it. Its not a FF game in my eyes.

There's probably more but these are the ones I can think of right now.

Edited by LuciaRosethorn
  • Like 4

Horizon. Lauded by the media for being a fresh, exciting new take on open world design and storytelling. Played it, left wondering what the hell did I miss. Completely, one hundred percent by-the-book open world game, tried and true "outcast goes hero" plot.

• Like 4

Currently last of us havent beaten the story yet.Theres are section in chapter 3 which I don't which consists of theses who can from behind and kill you in one go while your trying to get the collectable just silly IMO.Can't believe it was voted the most antipatipated game.RDR smashes TLOU in all aspects.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, patrickogorman19 said:

Currently last of us havent beaten the story yet.Theres are section in chapter 3 which I don't which consists of theses who can from behind and kill you in one go while your trying to get the collectable just silly IMO.Can't believe it was voted the most antipatipated game.RDR smashes TLOU in all aspects.

Can you rephrase what you just wrote because it’s straight up unreadable. 

Everybody’s Gone To The Rapture won the Bafta for best music and not an Emmy btw, I just checked it and made sure to correct myself before someone else does. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KenjiCBZ said:

RiME, I played it thanks to the PS Plus and I found it a horrible game. I did not understand what to do, where to go, and the character was too damn slow. I don't understand how people claim that this game is a masterpiece. Thank to god I took no trophy, otherwise I would have been forced to plat the game just because of that throphy I took.

I havent played this RiME, but it makes me remember of those Ico and Shadow of the Colossus games. I never understood why people think they are so great.