Most overrated game on PS4?

LaWiToR

I felt Uncharted 4 was still a good game but certainly not a masterpiece and that ittook a step back from 2 and 3. I was a bit bored with it. No desire to replay or find treasures 

FF15 was bad, borderline very bad IMO, but I know some out there gave it positive reviews.

I never thought about it so idk, maybe GTA V? I like both GTA V and GTA series but GTA V itself has a lot of problems gameplay-wise but most people don't realize it and call it a masterpiece, and the online, while it may be fun if played with friends (happened two or three times tho), is pure trash, it is made to make you feel a little shit in a big city where you possess nothing while others have everything because they can farm Heist and make big money (but even so it will take hours). In the end they just want us "little shit" to buy SharkCard to enjoy the game. This is a Pay-To-Enjoy, even worse than a Pay-To-Win.

FFXV: I hated this FF (probably because as an old school FF fan, it just did not fit for me who prefers the good old stuff as opposed to Emo guys in an expensive ride), if I can even call it an FF but it seems so popular with new content and even new trophies still pouring out with it's ads all over Twitter despite it being released 2 years ago. I don't think any other FF had this kind of fuss, not even the best of FF's VII, X etc. I'd rather see a new and better FF or a remake of VIII, something worthwhile and not more XV DLC and royal edition etc. nonsense. 

10 hours ago, Soufwar said:

Can you rephrase what you just wrote because it’s straight up unreadable. 

Everybody’s Gone To The Rapture won the Bafta for best music and not an Emmy btw, I just checked it and made sure to correct myself before someone else does. 

I’m sure a lot of people out there enjoyed the story and felt the music was great. 

But I don’t play a game JUST for the music. I have never done that once in my life. I care about the gameplay more than anything else. 

Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture to me was just crappy to play through gameplay wise. A lot of others here probably agree with me. 

The trophies were stupid and it was just a bore to go after all the collectibles. Plus I screwed up in some parts so I had to replay this game three - four times to get everything done. 

Music does not entirely factor in if a game is good. 

Right now I love Mafia 3’s 60s soundtrack. But that wasn’t the reason why I bought the game. The gameplay itself is very repetitive and it doesn’t really do anything that other AAA open world games did in the past. It’s about average. The story and the music are solid though. 

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 2

The new Tomb Raider games. I enjoyed the first one well enough but couldn't get into Rise at all. Lara still doesn't seem to have much of a personality and the open world stuff just seems like a chore.  I also always see a lot of praise for Child of Light which I struggled to get through. 

Then again I don't know how popular they are so maybe overrated isn't the right term. Like some people have used Everybody's Gone to the Rapture as an example- I liked it for what it was  but I see nothing but complaints about it everywhere lol, so I wouldn't call it overrated.

the more i see overwatch and persona 5(ESPECIALLY P5) the more i want to slowly stab myself in the face from the pain.

Anywho. To be 100% honest, this is one game I bought because of the "hype", but.. after customizing my character, killing some stuff and going back to the little HQ place.. I honestly had no idea what I was doing from there on and just deleted the game. That game issssssss Fallout 4. This was my first Fallout game I played, maybe I should've looked up video tutorials for stuff.. but that's what takes the fun out of discovering stuff on my own. I was extremely confused with the navigation system of the game. I'm used to having mini-maps like GTA, Watch Dogs, etc.. The compass on the top of my screen with occasional random things just wasn't doing it for me.

I also do have to second Everybody's Gone to the Rapture. I actually bought the game compared to the majority who just got it for free with PS Plus. After 10 mins of playing I couldn't play it anymore. It looked like a nice game from what I played, but it was just too damn boring.

Edited by DuckSwimmer
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Neef-GT5 said:

The mere fact that this game won hundreds of awards is evidence it is not overrated by any means.

Of course It's quite understandable that you or anyone else might not have enjoyed it at all, but this is a completely different and very personal thing...

Actually, winning a lot of awards is the definition of over rated lol. Nothing deserves to ever sweep like that unless it's absolute perfection, which TLOU was far from. And to be fair, I don't think any game has ever been that perfect.

And I'm not even talking from a place of opinion. I enjoyed the game. I personally feel like Last of Us being over rated is a fact.

1. The controls were a massive step down from Uncharted 3. It was clunky as hell.

2. It did nothing special. It was another linear shooter that had less depth than a Call of Duty.

3. The only reason it won all those awards was the story, which was solid for sure, but we're talking games here. Not movies. The guy who wins MVP after the World Series gets it for hitting more balls, not because of his wife's crushing battle with alcoholism. Story shouldn't matter that much in games.

There's been amazing games that were just shining technical achievements of the medium, that were just so unique and interesting and insanely well crafted that didn't get a fraction of the love TLOU did off of a story. So many great games got ignored that year all because Ellie almost got raped lol.

Edited by KingGuy420
  • Like 3

The Last of Us
Bloodborne/Dark Souls series
I don't actually hate the games or anything rating wise I'd probably give Dark Souls/Bloodborne 8 or 9 out of 10 and The Last of Us probably a  8/10 rather then the 10/10 ratings it received.

That also get kind of tired of everything being compared to Dark Souls even witchfire did and that game is a FPS.
Now some games like Salt and Sanctuary, Eitr and Code Vein I can see it but others not so much.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KingGuy420 said:

Actually, winning a lot of awards is the definition of over rated lol. Nothing deserves to ever sweep like that unless it's absolute perfection, which TLOU was far from. And to be fair, I don't think any game has ever been that perfect.

And I'm not even talking from a place of opinion. I enjoyed the game. I personally feel like Last of Us being over rated is a fact.

1. The controls were a massive step down from Uncharted 3. It was clunky as hell.

2. It did nothing special. It was another linear shooter that had less depth than a Call of Duty.

3. The only reason it won all those awards was the story, which was solid for sure, but we're talking games here. Not movies. The guy who wins MVP after the World Series gets it for hitting more balls, not because of his wife's crushing battle with alcoholism. Story shouldn't matter that much in games.

There's been amazing games that were just shining technical achievements of the medium, that were just so unique and interesting and insanely well crafted that didn't get a fraction of the love TLOU did off of a story. So many great games got ignored that year all because Ellie almost got raped lol.

There you go again with your nonsense about good stories not belonging in games. We have different genres for a reason. If you want a pure arcade experience with nothing but gameplay, there are plenty to choose from, but that's not all games have to be. Such an ignorant point of view to say people who want good stories should go watch a movie. Games have come a long way since the Atari era. Following your logic, why do games have soundtracks? "Hurr durr, if you want good music, go listen to Spotify". You see how dumb that is? That's what you sound like.

Just because The Last of Us doesn't fit into your tiny definition of what a game should be doesn't mean it didn't deserve the praise it got. Overrated? Quite possibly, but it's not a "fact" like you seem to think it is.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Spaz said:

I’m sure a lot of people out there enjoyed the story and felt the music was great. 

But I don’t play a game JUST for the music. I have never done that once in my life. I care about the gameplay more than anything else. 

Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture to me was just crappy to play through gameplay wise. A lot of others here probably agree with me. 

The trophies were stupid and it was just a bore to go after all the collectibles. Plus I screwed up in some parts so I had to replay this game three - four times to get everything done. 

Right now I love Mafia 3’s 60s soundtrack. But that wasn’t the reason why I bought the game. The gameplay itself is very repetitive and it doesn’t really do anything that other AAA open world games did in the past. It’s about average. The story and the music are solid though. 

You should know what you’re buying into is all I am going to say about this. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KingGuy420 said:

So, are you saying there sould not be any awards ceremonies for videogames, because no one has made the ‘perfect’ game? 

To sweep an awards ceremony, a game simply has to be better than all the other ones nominated. It doesn’t have to be ‘perfect’ - whatever that means.

‘Perfection’ is impossible in almost any endevour. It’s about the pursuit of perfection, and awards go to who got the closest that year.

The guy who gets the olympic gold in sprinting gets it for getting the fastest time of everyone in the race, not for getting a time of 0.00 seconds...

6 hours ago, Soufwar said:

You should know what you’re buying into is all I am going to say about this. 

I doubt many people bought Everybody's Gone to the Rapture on PS4. We played it because it was IGC. Same with Gone Home, and I think that's why people say it's overrated.

See, that's the thing about IGC - it releases games to a massive audience. Gone Home was probably the bee's knees to the small group of people for whom it was made. But when it was given wide release, the rest of us saw the ratings, and scratched our heads.

5 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

The guy who gets the olympic gold in sprinting gets it for getting the fastest time of everyone in the race, not for getting a time of 0.00 seconds...

Suspect analogy. He isn't saying that TLoU didn't deserve any awards. He's saying it didn't deserve to sweep the awards. I haven't played it, so I can't give an opinion one way or another, but this phenomenon plagues the oscars often. When a movie wins a particular big ticket award, it often wins a lot of other awards as well. Sometimes, it deserves all of those awards. Sometimes, though, it feels like laziness on the part of the Academy simply to heap everything onto a single picture.

Going to your example, if an olympic athlete wins the gold medal in sprinting, it's because he has the fastest time in his particular race. But that doesn't mean that the figure skating gold is handed to him on top of that.

I'll admit, I haven't played as many PS4 games as I've played on other Sony platforms but from the few that I have actually played: Gone Home.

Honestly, it was one of the biggest wastes of time that I've spent on a game. I found nothing interesting about it.

15 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

Just because The Last of Us doesn't fit into your tiny definition of what a game should be doesn't mean it didn't deserve the praise it got. Overrated? Quite possibly, but it's not a "fact" like you seem to think it is.

My point exactly... ?

18 hours ago, KingGuy420 said:

Whether you appreciated the game or not, it has received what Metacritic rightly calls a universal acclaim - hundreds of critics, from all sides and all positive, and more awards than most developers will see in an entire career. That’s a fact.

Edited by Neef-GT5

On ٧‏/٣‏/٢٠١٨ at 1:21 AM, Spaz said:

Hey Tony, I have to disagree Everybody's Gone to The Rapture is a Masterpiece, never thought I would like it as I only played it for trophies but it's hard not to be amazed by the story, world and music. Very unique and good game. There was one glitched trophy which was annoying other than that the trophies are fine. I get it when you mess up trophies you hate the game for it, I get angry at the game like you but in the end it's not the game's fault. 

• Like 1

On ٧‏/٣‏/٢٠١٨ at 4:04 AM, KingGuy420 said:

1- You shouldn't really be comparing it to Uncharted, the controls in both games are solid but different, Not every game from ND should play like Uncharted because that would be lazy as hell. Anyway the controls are perfect for that kind of game, it's better than Uncharted in my opinion.
2- Yeah I kinda agree but it doesn't mean it's not enjoyable.
3- Stories in Video Games are better than Movies I don't see why games shouldn't get awards for Great stories. Look at MGS, Shadow of the Colossus, Soul games and even Overwatch have pretty good lore despite being Online FPS shooter only.

Hands down, The Last of Us. I still fail to see what sets it apart from other zombie games/movies/tv shows/comics? Pretty sure The Walking Dead game was emotional as well, and it's not like the "old man loses a daughter only to make a stranger into his new child figure" is a new concept. I don't mind a game having a better story than gameplay, but with the way people praise TLoU, you'd think it was the first game to "tug at your heartstrings" (in quotes because whether it did or not is subjective...I felt nothing for Joel or Ellie).

I can see something special in almost every other game, but that one was rough.

• Like 1