Most overrated game on PS4?

LaWiToR

On 3/6/2018 at 6:56 PM, Nightstream88 said:

The Last of Us
Bloodborne/Dark Souls series
I don't actually hate the games or anything rating wise I'd probably give Dark Souls/Bloodborne 8 or 9 out of 10 and The Last of Us probably a  8/10 rather then the 10/10 ratings it received.

That also get kind of tired of everything being compared to Dark Souls even witchfire did and that game is a FPS.
Now some games like Salt and Sanctuary, Eitr and Code Vein I can see it but others not so much.

This is what annoys me about Soulsborne. It doesn't bother me at all that other people enjoy it. They're not hurting me. But it's just become this mind virus where a gameplay trailer comes out and all the "infected" just want to rate how close the combat is to Dark Souls. You know, maybe it'll have a completely different kind of combat because it's a completely different kind of game, and maybe it doesn't owe you or Soulsborne anything at all.

The only thing worse is these parrot people repeating "RAAAAWK. Will it come to Switch? RAAAAWK" on every new game announcement.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, rdhight said:

This is what annoys me about Soulsborne. It doesn't bother me at all that other people enjoy it. They're not hurting me. But it's just become this mind virus where a gameplay trailer comes out and all the "infected" just want to rate how close the combat is to Dark Souls. You know, maybe it'll have a completely different kind of combat because it's a completely different kind of game, and maybe it doesn't owe you or Soulsborne anything at all.

The only thing worse is these parrot people repeating "RAAAAWK. Will it come to Switch? RAAAAWK" on every new game announcement.

i agree with this as well. What I find strange is that the Souls games have clunky and sluggish controls (intentionally) yet they get praised for said controls. Let people enjoy what they want but be honest about it at least.

• Like 1

No Man's Sky very much over-hyped, did not live up to expectations - initial or otherwise. Sean Murray did save face by eventually releasing some decent improvements, but the damage at large was irreparable. Of course this all pales in comparison to the hoax that is Star Citizen.. I realize it's not a PS4 game, but come the fuck on >.< HOW MANY YEARS DOES IT TAKE?? We already paid you the goddamn money.. <THROWS CHAIR>

nomanssky1280-1jpg-0674ef_1280w.jpg

• Like 1

I could risk looking like a jerk because this game wasn't exactly a huge commercial success... but Gravity Rush 2 is my pick. I played the first on the Vita and thought it was a neat concept with a lot of potential, but I couldn't get into the story. It made no sense and it left all these questions completely unanswered (plus it had the most abrupt ending I've seen in any game). When the second one came out and got great reviews I was so happy to see things go somewhere interesting... and it still made absolutely no sense. They pull a crazy plot twist about a character's origin out of their @$$ right at the eleventh hour that has no bearing on the rest of the plot or any of the other crazy stuff happening and I just sat there scratching my head wondering why the hell I bothered trying to get emotionally invested. Which, you know, you kind of need to get invested in a weird Japanese game like this considering the game has pretty repetitive "kick dive into everything" gameplay and THE ABSOLUTE WORST SIDE MISSIONS I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE. A lot of people on here are picking Horizon, fair enough, but at least that game had side missions that went places, tried to make you care about what was going on and didn't have infuriating nonsense gameplay mechanics introduced just for that one mission.

• Like 2

The most overrated game I ever played is properly GTA V5 personally In my opion this game has a lot of sexual content and violence which to be honest I do like GTA games. However I think this game is overrated as to alot of young kids play this game and I don’t think it’s there fault as there parents buy the game for their kids.

5 minutes ago, ozenco123 said:

The most overrated game I ever played is properly GTA V5 personally In my opion this game has a lot of sexual content and violence which to be honest I do like GTA games. However I think this game is overrated as to alot of young kids play this game and I don’t think it’s there fault as there parents buy the game for their kids.

You really don't like it because of sexual content and violence? Lmao what a pussy.

20 hours ago, rdhight said:

Agreed. Agreed, agreed, agreed. It's annoying. And there also seems to be an attitude of looking down on others for not liking the series while piling all sorts of hyperbolic praise on the series. It's annoying. Personally speaking, spending 20/30 minutes on a boss only to die and lose all progress isn't my idea of fun. I don't mind others liking the games, but the attitude of some of the fans is offputting, to put it mildly. 

• Like 3

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 0:33 AM, DarkHarmonixer said:

i agree with this as well. What I find strange is that the Souls games have clunky and sluggish controls (intentionally) yet they get praised for said controls. Let people enjoy what they want but be honest about it at least.

The game literally feels like a PC game with insufficient memory.

The Last Of Us:

The beginning was really excellent and promising but after only getting through less then half, I was so bored. It got way too much praise imo and it being treated that it was something 'original' when in fact is was a story with leiner gameplay with *tired* zombies attached to it. The graphics were really pretty but the rest was pretry meh.

-Last of Us in both platforms is the most overrated game of all times.. Yes it is emotional, good looking, etc. but come on there are countless people saying this is the best game of all time.. I guess they never played some zelda, mario, street fighter2, resident evil.there is nothing new to add to the gaming industry 

-Tomb Raider 2013, look at the game and then think about Lara Croft has shaped action adventure genre once

-God of War games generally... static camera sometimes very far that you cant see your character among the crowd if you see though he is like a dot, extremely short games, no real gameplay improvements over 10 years.. and it is not even god of war now but some open world rpg

Note that these games are very quality but I comment based on advertisements before release and sales after release mainly.. of course there are many more overrated games out there

Edited by Darpiom

For me personally the most over rated game on PS4 is The Witcher 3. 

It's incredibly biased on my part as I hate high fantasy stuff but it's just like every other open world game to me (just way bigger than the others).

• Like 1

On 6/2/2018 at 4:15 PM, Shiny Suicune said:

I personally hate when a game supposedly gets "rave reviews" *everyone has to like it*. 

Remember, reviews are opinions. The only opinion that should matter is your own. Only you can determine if you like the game or not.

Remember that game that you saw got a "Metacritic" of 3/10 can be your favorite game ;)

I personally hate when it seeps into trophy/achievement guides. Seems like every "emotional" Sony exclusive is 100% perfect and not at all generic and overdone. I personally cannot stand the Uncharted games in general and fail to understand how they received so much acclaim for being such bog standard shooters. I mean for fuck sake I saw posts pertaining to some of the speed run trophies in Uncharted 4 going DON'T DO THIS FIRST OFF YOU'LL RUIN THE EXPERIENCE. 

The Last of Us? God of War? Destiny? Are you guys kidding me!? Aabs Animals is easily the most overrated piece of garbage of all time! I'm tired of seeing this game everywhere getting perfect scores and seeing people praise it like it's a godsend! The fact that the trophies are insanely hard to get doesn't make the game more likable either! TrollFace.jpg

Edited by Xugashi
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, LunchCannon54 said:

I personally hate when it seeps into trophy/achievement guides. Seems like every "emotional" Sony exclusive is 100% perfect and not at all generic and overdone. I personally cannot stand the Uncharted games in general and fail to understand how they received so much acclaim for being such bog standard shooters. I mean for fuck sake I saw posts pertaining to some of the speed run trophies in Uncharted 4 going DON'T DO THIS FIRST OFF YOU'LL RUIN THE EXPERIENCE. 

Yeah, a guide is supposed to be there to help the player not tell them all the asnwers and be like "Here now tou can has shiny platinum" But by the way how was the game? Oh right, you used a guide, you didn't play it for yourself. That's how I feel. If you have to wait for a guide to just play a game, then literally just don't. What's the purpose of gaming if you are already looking at the answer? 

As many have mentioned, the Souls games.  Honestly, the controls are whatever for me, but the look of the games is  kind of gross.  Bloodborne looked a little better but I couldn't imagine spending 10 hours in it, let alone however long it would take to fully explore. Though that was as much the look as the controls.

Also, really any of the run and hide horror games that have come out over the last few years.  I can't stand that mechanic because I have yet to play anything where it doesn't feel like I'm spending most of my time just running and hiding, and not exploring or progressing (this isn't a new problem for me.  It all began many years ago with Clock Tower 3).  With that being said, I am always open to trying any I haven't played already if someone vouches for them, I just keep my expectations really low.

• Like 1

I guess that if I think enough I'll find flaws that makes me hate all games I played so here's some for my ps3/4 collection:

Dragon age origins: combat made me yawn all the time, good thing that there was a glitch that I inadvertly used to get the difficulty trophy cutting my time, characters interactions were good, but I really really hated bioware for making enemies non-respawnable, especially if you add trophies for levelling up to max, seemed a  function made to force you to get dlcs. Dragon age Inquisition has a bit better combat but the story suffers.

FFXIII: Treasure Hunter's ptsd notwithstanding hated the characters and story.

LR ffxiii: to this point the lowest Square has fallen. This game takes literally everything "classic" from FF and  makes the inverse of it.

Nier Automata: bad move making act a and b essentially the same game wise, it burns you out for act c, expected  a much better combat for PG, got me at the end rushing hopefully to complete and removing it from the library due to burnout, also didn't like Pascal the robot throwing shades at Nietzsche without even truly understanding him.

God of War Ascension: horrible downgrade from the others

Bioshock Infinite:detest the 3deep5u kind of stories, having the gameplay much worse than the original didn't help, stopped mid-way, at the end of it I preferred Comstock by a large margin over Booker, ironic considering they are the same person.

Fallout 4: being a Borderlands fanboy I wanted to try this game but ugh the combat.

Watch Dogs 1: boring sandbox without entertaining characters like in Gta or Saints Row.

Edited by scemopagliaccioh

Normally I would say Fortnite, but I haven't played it, so it doesn't count.

But like most people on this topic, I find the Souls series (including Bloodborne) very overrated, mainly because of its gaming community that love to rub it in everyone face or how good they are and "Git Gud" quote that they always say to anyone that's bad at it.

Another honorable mention is Everyone gone to the Rapture; because it so boring and simple with no ambitions what so ever.

This remind me of a recent Watchmojo video.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2018 at 0:59 AM, SlimSanta94 said:

The Last Of Us, I just couldn't get into it at all. Incredible story but everything else was just tedious.

The Last of Us is technically a Playstation 3 game. The remaster is more popular because everything runs a lot better and smoothly. I felt the story was solid and I enjoyed playing it, but I don't consider it to be the greatest game of all time or anything along those lines like so many critics out there labeled it as.

On 6/7/2018 at 2:35 AM, LunchCannon54 said:

The Last of Us, Uncharted 4, Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War.

All games fall into the "emotional", drama queen based model where a lead character and their companions fall into a tough situation and they have to figure out how to overcome their antagonist and their enemies.

Basically their stories amount to a Hollywood like movie, because that's basically what they are. They all seem to copy each other in some form or manner.

I enjoy the new God of War, I just don't like the open world approach and the father/son bickering because that's not what God of War was. It was all about high octane, hack and slash action with Kratos murdering Greek Gods, Titans and other worldly beings. The new game doesn't have anywhere near that kind of action in it.

Uncharted games are basically Hollywood movies through and through. If you watched a Harrison Ford action movie or a Arnold Schwarzenegger, Sylvester Stallone action movie, you know what to expect from Uncharted.