Easy plat, shit game.

zachmaynee

I thought...

Spoiler

... the chapters had some pretty weird names, but in the end I realized that it was all about the five stages of grief and that you were playing through them as a character that was not even alive anymore. Maybe you need to have experienced a great loss to really appreciate that? For one I welcome a game that dares to touch on such a theme. Add to that the nice art style and some nice puzzle gameplay and I think you end up with a pretty decent game.

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

It's technically a walking simulator style game. If you enjoyed stuff like Dear Esther, Valley, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, Journey, Vanishing of Ethan Carter and the like you'll probably enjoy Rime.

To me this is just too boring. The last walking simulator style game I played was Valley, at least it has some fun parts with running and jumping. Rime was designed to take in the sights and feel the atmosphere and story which isn't quite obvious until later on.

Not my type of game, but nonetheless I'll just play this game a bit later because I can't be bothered to finish it right now.

Edited by Spaz
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Spaz said:

It's technically a walking simulator style game. If you enjoyed stuff like Dear Esther, Valley, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, Journey, Vanishing of Ethan Carter and the like you'll probably enjoy Rime.

To me this is just too boring. The last walking simulator style game I played was Valley, at least it has some fun parts with running and jumping. Rime was designed to take in the sights and feel the atmosphere and story which isn't quite obvious until later on.

Not my type of game, but nonetheless I'll just play this game a bit later because I can't be bothered to finish it right now.

Rime is miles better than the other games you mentioned, but Rime definitely has some gameplay issues. Yeah, it's just plain boring as there's not strong enough gameplay elements, and the story is also as you say, not apparent before late in the game. In other words, very little to drive you and little to do until you get there. There's absolutely no cost to dying or failing. Nothing really challenging, just obtuse puzzles.

1 hour ago, Spaz said:

25 minutes ago, MMDE said:

Rime is miles better than the other games you mentioned

Of those games, I've only played Everybody's Gone To The Rapture, Journey, and The Vanishing Of Ethan Carter, but I think all three are a lot better than Rime. In my opinion, Rime is very mediocre (and I wouldn't classify it as part of the genre that some people call "walking simulator"), Everybody's Gone To The Rapture is pretty good for one playthrough, and both Journey and The Vanishing Of Eathan Carter are great. Rime isn't in the same league as any of those. I wouldn't go as far as calling Rime a shit game but in my opinion it's definitely not a good game.

Just now, Ash Williams said:

Of those games, I've only played Everybody's Gone To The Rapture, Journey, and The Vanishing Of Ethan Carter, but I think all three are a lot better than Rime. In my opinion, Rime is very mediocre (and I wouldn't classify it as part of the genre that some people call "walking simulator"), Everybody's Gone To The Rapture is pretty good for one playthrough, and both Journey and The Vanishing Of Eathan Carter are great. Rime isn't in the same league as any of those. I wouldn't go as far as calling Rime a shit game but in my opinion it's definitely not a good game.

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture has a shit trophy list, and is probably one of the slowest walking simulators I've played. Journey is good in that it was one of the first games to really put an emphasis on scenery and atmosphere, which Rime was clearly inspired by. Vanishing of Ethan Carter was merely okay, but it doesn't do anything that Dear Esther already did before.

Rime is just boring. Already ran into an obtuse puzzle that took me 30 minutes to solve, so there's that. Thank god I didn't have to pay anything for this game because I got it through Plus. But this will probably be the last "walking simulator" type game I'll play for quite a while.

Easy, but not exactly fun.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture has a shit trophy list, and is probably one of the slowest walking simulators I've played.

Yeah, if I was more into completing trophy lists I wouldn't have liked Everybody's Gone To The Rapture as much either :)

Journey is good in that it was one of the first games to really put an emphasis on scenery and atmosphere, which Rime was clearly inspired by.

Probably not the first by far (I think we can go as far back as Myst, or even further) but it certainly re-popularised walking around while looking at stuff. I didn't get around to buying it but immediately played it when it was on PS+.

Vanishing of Ethan Carter was merely okay, but it doesn't do anything that Dear Esther already did before.

I thought the puzzles were fun and varied, the graphics were good and the atmosphere was excellent.

I never got around to buying Dear Esther, got close a few times though.

Rime is just boring. Already ran into an obtuse puzzle that took me 30 minutes to solve, so there's that. Thank god I didn't have to pay anything for this game because I got it through Plus. But this will probably be the last "walking simulator" type game I'll play for quite a while.

I don't recall having much trouble in any puzzles but then again I play a lot of puzzle games, also pen and paper ones. I mainly thought Rime was just boring, once I was an hour or two to three in. The "look at us being emotional and artsy" ending was also not an appealing taste for me, other games have done that much better. The Talos Principle comes to mind.

15 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture has a shit trophy list, and is probably one of the slowest walking simulators I've played. Journey is good in that it was one of the first games to really put an emphasis on scenery and atmosphere, which Rime was clearly inspired by. Vanishing of Ethan Carter was merely okay, but it doesn't do anything that Dear Esther already did before.

Don't try the devs of everybody's gone's original game. It's an even worse walking sim, only saved by being shorter. That and Beyond Eyes is worse. ;) Beyond Eyes is a slow walking simulator where you play as a blind girl... -_- 

23 minutes ago, Ash Williams said:

I do agree that RiME doesn't really fit the walking simulator label as much as those other games. It has some 3D puzzle platformer elements. The game just feels like it could have been so much better.

You probably know what I thought about Journey. ;) 

8 minutes ago, Ash Williams said:

Probably not the first by far (I think we can go as far back as Myst, or even further) but it certainly re-popularised walking around while looking at stuff. I didn't get around to buying it but immediately played it when it was on PS+.

Myst is a graphic adventure game and has nothing to do with the walking simulator stuff. It helped with the boom of the graphic adventure games in the 90s.

Since it’s being brought up I preferred Everybody’s Gone to the Rapture because the story was interesting to me throughout. Actually the only things I didn’t like about that game were the walking pace and the books trophy. 

Both of those games were pretty stunning to look at imo, so they have that going for them too. 

1 hour ago, Ash Williams said:

Yeah, if I was more into completing trophy lists I wouldn't have liked Everybody's Gone To The Rapture as much either :)

Understandable. If I wasn't a bit of a completionist I wouldn't of bothered with it either.

Yeah I remember playing Myst back in 1996 - 1998 when I was just a kid. My dad owned a Windows 95 computer which he got from working at Hewlett Packard back when they were good. One of the first really popular adventure games, the term "walking simulators" didn't exist at that time. Would love to play this again, hopefully it's on Steam or GOG.com (Good Old Games).

Although truthfully, I think 7th Guest was the first real adventure game.

I thought the puzzles were fun and varied, the graphics were good and the atmosphere was excellent.

I never got around to buying Dear Esther, got close a few times though.

Ethen Carter is not a bad game, it's just a bit boring. Easy trophy list, and a good game if you enjoy walking simulators.

I don't recall having much trouble in any puzzles but then again I play a lot of puzzle games, also pen and paper ones. I mainly thought Rime was just boring, once I was an hour or two to three in. The "look at us being emotional and artsy" ending was also not an appealing taste for me, other games have done that much better. The Talos Principle comes to mind.

That's how a lot of puzzle games were, pen and paper. In my opinion the internet ruined a lot of good puzzle games, especially point and clicks that required a pen and paper.

I take it you played Day of the Tentacle, Grim Fandango and Full Throttle Remastered. Still hoping for a possible Indiana Jones remaster of the old LucasArts games, that would make my day.

1 hour ago, MMDE said:

Myst is a graphic adventure game and has nothing to do with the walking simulator stuff. It helped with the boom of the graphic adventure games in the 90s.

Myst predates Journey and more recent adventure games by a good 15 - 20 years. It was ahead of it's time, and probably still an inspiration for a lot of walking simulators since that game practically revolutionized adventure games as we know them.

Edited by Spaz

47 minutes ago, Spaz said:

Myst predates Journey and more recent adventure games by a good 15 - 20 years. It was ahead of it's time, and probably still an inspiration for a lot of walking simulators since that game practically revolutionized adventure games as we know them.

The walking sims are not graphic adventure games though.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MMDE said:

Don't try the devs of everybody's gone's original game. It's an even worse walking sim, only saved by being shorter. That and Beyond Eyes is worse. ;) Beyond Eyes is a slow walking simulator where you play as a blind girl... -_- 

I think I've heard about Beyond Eyes. Is that the one where the only things you see around the character are things that make spunds and things that can be touched, with kind of aquarel graphics? I meant to play that but I haven't bought it yet.

6 hours ago, MMDE said:

I do agree that RiME doesn't really fit the walking simulator label as much as those other games. It has some 3D puzzle platformer elements. The game just feels like it could have been so much better.

Feels like it could have been much, much better, but that isn't where we ended up. I'd recommend The Talos Principle and The Witness if you want exploring/puzzling games, both are great.

6 hours ago, MMDE said:

You probably know what I thought about Journey. ;) 

I don't recall. Were you one of the people who liked the game until they got to the "finish most of the game with one person" trophy?

5 hours ago, Spaz said:

Understandable. If I wasn't a bit of a completionist I wouldn't of bothered with it either.

Yeah, you completionists have it hard. At least I can put down Super Meat Boy after one casual playthrough.

5 hours ago, Spaz said:

Yeah I remember playing Myst back in 1996 - 1998 when I was just a kid. My dad owned a Windows 95 computer which he got from working at Hewlett Packard back when they were good. One of the first really popular adventure games, the term "walking simulators" didn't exist at that time. Would love to play this again, hopefully it's on Steam or GOG.com (Good Old Games).

Although truthfully, I think 7th Guest was the first real adventure game.

I've seen people play Myst back in the day, but personally I was more into the point and clicks at that time.

5 hours ago, Spaz said:

Ethen Carter is not a bad game, it's just a bit boring. Easy trophy list, and a good game if you enjoy walking simulators.

I tend to enjoy what I refuse to call walking simulators, the lack of gameplay means the game needs to give me something else in return though, like great scenery and/or a captivating story.

Ethan Carter might actually be one of my favourites of those games, but I might be partially influenced by it being the first game of this kind that I played. I thought it was a breath of fresh air.

I loathe Gone Home with a passion though.

5 hours ago, Spaz said:

That's how a lot of puzzle games were, pen and paper. In my opinion the internet ruined a lot of good puzzle games, especially point and clicks that required a pen and paper.

With pen and paper, I actually meant things like puzzle books, like nonograms and sudokus and such.

5 hours ago, Spaz said:

I take it you played Day of the Tentacle, Grim Fandango and Full Throttle Remastered. Still hoping for a possible Indiana Jones remaster of the old LucasArts games, that would make my day.

Day Of The Tentacle and Indiana Jones And The Fate Of Atlantis are my two favourite classic point and click games. Double Fine probably won't remaster Indy because it's a title Tim Schafer didn't work on, so getting the rights would probably be more difficult.

It was included in some Indiana Jones game as an unlockable extra, though. Only reason I bought the game, and I didn't play the main game farther than up to when I unlocked Fate Of Atlantis.

6 hours ago, MMDE said:

4 hours ago, MMDE said:

The walking sims are not graphic adventure games though.

Myst IS a "walking around, figuring out what you need to do" game though. Only difference between it, The Talos Principle, The Witness et al and what some people call walking simulators is the frequency and expansiveness of the puzzles. We came on Myst because @Spaz referred to Journey as putting an emphasis on scenery and atmosphere, which I think is true for Myst as well.

I think I've heard about Beyond Eyes. Is that the one where the only things you see around the character are things that make spunds and things that can be touched, with kind of aquarel graphics? I meant to play that but I haven't bought it yet.

Feels like it could have been much, much better, but that isn't where we ended up. I'd recommend The Talos Principle and The Witness if you want exploring/puzzling games, both are great.

I don't recall. Were you one of the people who liked the game until they got to the "finish most of the game with one person" trophy?

Yeah, you completionists have it hard. At least I can put down Super Meat Boy after one casual playthrough.

I've seen people play Myst back in the day, but personally I was more into the point and clicks at that time.

I tend to enjoy what I refuse to call walking simulators, the lack of gameplay means the game needs to give me something else in return though, like great scenery and/or a captivating story.

Ethan Carter might actually be one of my favourites of those games, but I might be partially influenced by it being the first game of this kind that I played. I thought it was a breath of fresh air.

I loathe Gone Home with a passion though.

With pen and paper, I actually meant things like puzzle books, like nonograms and sudokus and such.

Day Of The Tentacle and Indiana Jones And The Fate Of Atlantis are my two favourite classic point and click games. Double Fine probably won't remaster Indy because it's a title Tim Schafer didn't work on, so getting the rights would probably be more difficult.

It was included in some Indiana Jones game as an unlockable extra, though. Only reason I bought the game, and I didn't play the main game farther than up to when I unlocked Fate Of Atlantis.

Myst IS a "walking around, figuring out what you need to do" game though. Only difference between it, The Talos Principle, The Witness et al and what some people call walking simulators is the frequency and expansiveness of the puzzles. We came on Myst because @Spaz referred to Journey as putting an emphasis on scenery and atmosphere, which I think is true for Myst as well.

I recommended you Talos btw...

I have a thread about what I think about Journey.

Myst is not a walking simulator though, it's a graphic adventure game. Talos is a 1st person puzzle platformer. The difference in genre is in the gameplay, as you'd expect.

Edited by MMDE

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/20/2018 at 3:29 PM, matigrosso91 said:

I love the game, that ending really destroy my feelings.

Same here.  I just recently finished the story and was really sad when I saw the ending.  I loved it and had a really good time with it.  Collectibles were a bit annoying and that awful bird from anger, but I still really enjoyed this game.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Now that I’ve been through the game I can say I could not agree less.

First because the game is pretty decent. Gameplay does not reinvent the wheel and the camera sometimes sucks, but I really enjoyed the atmosphere and the story is quite good - you really have to complete a first playthrough to grasp it. The end is quite heart-breaking for whoever is a parent...

Second because the platinum is only easy with a guide. Many collectibles are extremely well hidden and some contextual trophies are really not self-explanatory. I made my first playthrough blind and missed most of these.

Not the game of the year but quite enjoyable. Anyone who enjoyed games like Journey should go for it.

Edited by Neef-GT5
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...