White House Releases Video To Demonstrate How Violent Video Games Are

madbuk

Trump recently had a meeting with several people from the video game industry, and now that the meeting has concluded they have decided to make a video highlighting that video games are a violent medium, by using clips from various games such as Fallout 4 and Call of Duty Modern Warfare.

Was uploaded yesterday but I couldn't see a thread for it. Clearly they're onto something here, pls ban all these naughty 18+/M videogames. Won't someone think of the children?

https://www.vg247.com/2018/03/09/watch-video-trump-used-highlight-violent-games-meeting-video-game-execs/

Damn, I've played most of them so I guess I'm a psychopath. They only showed the gory parts of games in which most of them were killing Nazi's, let's ignore the hundreds of games which aren't gory and are very innocent. Its not about if something is gory but more about the person playing it and them understanding that it's only allowed in a game, films are just as bad if not worse since they're real people but no once cares. 

People push the blame onto anything as long as they dont get blamed, more people have been helped in someway by playing games and they're beneficial in some health aspects. 

• Like 4

I was 9 or 10 when The Patriot came out, and my parents let me watch that because it was historically based. There was a scene where someone gets decapitated by a cannonball, which is a lot more gory than 90% of the imagery in video games. In most of the clips I'm seeing in this video, the character model remains intact, and there's just a light squirt of red pixels. Wow, how traumatic. ?

• Like 1

261p6l.jpg

Spoiler

In all seriousness though, it is disgusting how they are trivialising an issue so important. People are losing their friends, family, loved ones and instead of tackling this with a meaningful response that will put an end to these crimes, I can not believe they are just trying to pass the buck.

What a fucking joke.

Edited by Zolkovo
  • Like 4

This old story again huh? 

Yeah nothing new here really, feels like the media has been trying to spin this story forever and honestly my sentiment about this whole thing can be summed up as:

Violence has been a part of human society pretty much from the very beginning, at least way before video games ever became an idea. The very fact that you dont see a majority of players who play violent video games committing violent crimes (not even close in fact) might point towards the fact that there isn't really much of a correlation there. Maybe, just maybe the people who actually do commit these crimes are psychologically unstable people who just as well could have seen a violent movie, read a violent book, or listened to some violent music before they did what they did, but they just so happened to have played a violent video game at some point because .. what do you know? Video games have sort of become a major thing these days? 

Only thing I'm really surprised about here is how there wasn't actually a single clip from any GTA game included in this ... guess they actually forgot to blame GTA for this for one, so I guess there actually was SOMETHING new about this after all :P 

Edited by Rune2303
  • Like 2

They should know that the 18+ rating is there for a reason. If any 8 year decided to play those games, I think they should be reminded to their parents that it's a game and they can't emulate that behavior in real life. At least, that's what I told when I played the original Call of Duty and Max Payne back then was I young. Played True Crime: Streets of L.A. when I was 8 years old and turned out fine!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Oblivion said:

Oh yeah, but let's not talk about all the good things gaming has done for people.

Yes, for example teach me English, still don't know everything, but it is good enough people can understand me (Hopefully :)

• Like 2

Amusing; there are always video games the kids and teens; as well as dulling young adults and encouraging them to become more violent?
The good ones forget; that much of the environment is made up of friends; Schools; Job; At some point in time, people will no longer endure family and other areas of life and then respond with counter violence ... eg years of bullying at school; Suppression in the family etc.
But the dear Mr. and Mrs. politicians and so-called experts always give video games the blame ... whether in Germany; Austria or otherwise in any country.
-
But every time a new Germany Next Top Model; Idol; Voice of Germany and other such formats bring in endless loop on TV; something like that is sure to be everywhere in the West and in the East ... such formats should finally be abolished and people are dumbfounded; just so that exactly the same audience, unlike the canidists, can laugh at these "poor souls".
-
Something like that should go to the politicians and tackle the dumbing down in the entertainment industry rather than always rushing to the only thing they know "Brutal killer games".
-
Point; otherwise it will be too much again ..

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bloodytears1666 said:

Some games scenes sure look overkill for their genre, but I dunno how they see should survival horror look like. The Evil Within there not the example of violence in video games, but it is genre specific. Should horror been cute and neat?

Exactly, mate. I was actually thinking about it again just now. The more hardcore deaths probably weren't chosen because its very clear they are monsters or zombies. Laura has extra limbs that are very visible when she's killing you. The butcher kill might actually be the most human example of violence in TEW that I can think of. Lot's of normal enemies have spikes sticking out of their head and stuff like that, it's very clear they're not humans.

Same thing in fallout, they don't show you nuking a robot, shooting a super mutant, or blowing off a deathclaws head. The whole thing is pretty absurd, I just felt the need to reply here because if you're going to showcase gratuitous violence to try and make a case, why shy away from the REALLY extreme examples. I know the answer to it but its still ridiculous. Fallout is post apocalyptic and TEW is a horror game. 

Notice that nothing like Hotline Miami got showcased either. It's arcade-y. Too much of a disconnect with reality? It's still an example I'd think of when I think of violent games. Dead Space too, it has some VERY extreme death animations but it's very obviously sci-fi and you're getting killed by aliens. 

So they're trying to showcase the most realistic form of violence in games but their examples are actually complete shit. ?

The thing with his leadership is:

There are people who constantly talk BS. Many people do that, only at my job i can already name at least 10. But that someone like becomes a leader is rare.

But he then goes a couple of steps further. All the media reports about something that isn't up his alley is "fake news". Science doesn't exist in his world. He "proves" his ridicoulous claims either with the weirdest anecdotal evidence you can think of, or with propaganda like this. It is just complete madness, but how he still has support blows my mind. He has to be the only president who rules a country either from his couch via twitter or just shouting crap in a speech, but not doing anything. I still hope that he is the biggest hidden camera joke ever pulled off.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Lars said:

The thing with his leadership is:

There are people who constantly talk BS. Many people do that, only at my job i can already name at least 10. But that someone like becomes a leader is rare.

But he then goes a couple of steps further. All the media reports about something that isn't up his alley is "fake news". Science doesn't exist in his world. He "proves" his ridicoulous claims either with the weirdest anecdotal evidence you can think of, or with propaganda like this. It is just complete madness, but how he still has support blows my mind. He has to be the only president who rules a country either from his couch via twitter or just shouting crap in a speech, but not doing anything. I still hope that he is the biggest hidden camera joke ever pulled off.

I don't want to get into a big thing about whether Trump is a good president or not, but I do want to highlight this. From what I can see, this is purely a video meant to demonstrate the worst of video games, in hopes of selling a story...

...and honestly, if this is the best they can bring, do better.

Violent video games are needed! They help angry violent people release their anger and frustration. If it wasnt for games like World of Warcraft, I dont know how many bunnies I would had murdered in real life. Games help me release my inner feelings!! All those Dead or Alive games or Senran Kagura naughty games, its a necessity in life! I cant go around grabbing boobs on random!!! can I?