Platinum vs. 100% - What Really Matters?

I usually avoid games with excessive DLC. It's usually a rip off anyway, so why bother? If I do play the game, I often already got the DLCs for free or cheap, or I don't bother with the DLCs. And it's not just about plat vs 100%, as I got almost as many 100% games without platinum as platinums.

• Like 2

Platinum is for myself enough to be happy. And if it has no DLC and plat = 100% it's even better. But not having the money to spend endless of DLCs just for extra trophies(Like DLCs to buya new character or stuff and then doing stuff with that one for 100%).

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

I wasn't trying to be mean or anything. I was just saying that whether a game has a plat or not is irrelevant, if you don't actually get the plat...

...unless you really believe that the existence of a plat is a reflection of the content of the game? I thought you were just yanking on chains and whatnot.

I mean I know it sounds kind of weird now that I think about it since I'm aware a platinum trophy is in no way a barometer for quality since plenty of garbage have them like Mayo and Orc whatever, and I rarely even bother getting platinums myself and many of my fave games obviously came before they even existed. 

But when I think now actually when I hear a brand new PS4 game doesn't have a platinum despite every other game having one it does make me do a double take.

Really what modern games don't have them besides walking sims and 10 minute long indies anyway? 

• Like 1

None of ya'll will probably be surprised by my answer, but I appreciate the feeling of a 100% a lot more than unlocking a platinum trophy. That's just me though and I don't hold some higher regard to it or look down on people who stop at platinums or don't strive for the 100%. (I've joked about it with a few people on here in chat but that's about as far as it goes).

I will also say, that in the days of the season pass and continued support (years, for what it seems like) keeping 100%'s in mind has definitely shaped my spending habits. I will wait years if I have to, and I have a feeling I will be waiting until PS5 for a complete FF15 collection.

Cheers.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Tusked-Lattice said:

I just want the platinum. 

Games without platinums are worthless garbage! 

That's very inconsiderate. A Platinum does not dictate the quality of a game, whatsoever. 

43 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

When you look at someone's profile, do you look at their 100% count, or you look at their platinum count?

Personally, I look at the plats.

Exactly!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tusked-Lattice said:

I mean I know it sounds kind of weird now that I think about it since I'm aware a platinum trophy is in no way a barometer for quality since plenty of garbage have them like Mayo and Orc whatever, and I rarely even bother getting platinums myself and many of my fave games obviously came before they even existed. 

But when I think now actually when I hear a brand new PS4 game doesn't have a platinum despite every other game having one it does make me do a double take.

Really what modern games don't have them besides walking sims and 10 minute long indies anyway? 

So if trophies stopped existing...how would you know what games to play?

Completionist here so 100% is where it's at, but can agree that some dlc is trash and I'll still play it for 100%

Edit: Also agree with @madbuk, the plat is just another trophy, and it's a given for completionists, you don't even have to go out of your way to get it, if anything, it's the easiest trophy in every game.

Edited by HardXDXtraga
  • Like 3

Nothing wrong with a few Soft-Platinums, but I’d always rather get those numbers up to 100%. 

To answer the root of you’re question however - as someone with a relatively high platinum count and a relatively high completion rate, I’d say that what really matters is that you enjoy what you are playing...

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Tusked-Lattice said:

Any game without a platinum is basically telling you not to buy it because it has no worthwhile content, really I should thank the developers for the warning and saving me money. 

That is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard. I don't understand what criteria a game must meet to attain a Platinum, but it definitely has nothing to do with the sheet quality of the game. I mean have you seen My Name is Mayo or Orc Slayer? Precisely. 

35 minutes ago, Zolkovo said:

Simple. Neither. All that matters is you're having a good time.

Obviously but some people don't get that 100% doesn't mean shit unless it's worth getting. 

29 minutes ago, Gommes_ said:

You heard him guys! End the pointless conversation now and don't you dare to open up a similar topic in the future. 

I'm just trying to prove a point. 

24 minutes ago, continuum67 said:

Spend more money on games I don't like that much to go from platinum to 100%? Nah, I'm good.

Some people just can't see that. I got the Black Ops 3 Platinum and only have 51% completion because I'm not about to waste a ton of time, money, and effort getting 100%

12 minutes ago, darkamdusias said:

I'm a perfectionist when it comes to my trophy collection, so it's 100% for me all the way. A Platinum is nice and all, but I don't see the game as 'complete' when there is still content left to experience. That said though, Platinum trophies are achievements in their own right, and I think that walking away from a game once you've gotten the Platinum (or even before) is totally cool. 

I can respect that.

6 minutes ago, Rewemarkt66 said:

Platinum is for myself enough to be happy. And if it has no DLC and plat = 100% it's even better. But not having the money to spend endless of DLCs just for extra trophies(Like DLCs to buya new character or stuff and then doing stuff with that one for 100%).

You 100% feel me, see what I did there? LOL.

18 minutes ago, SuperSaiyan3985 said:

How is a Platinum "just another trophy?" A Platinum shows that you've mastered the base game's trophy list and that's all that matters. If you buy DLC JUST to get the trophies you're falling into their trap of spending money for no reason. 

That may be all that matters to you, not to me tho :dunno:

Most DLC I've bought has at least been worth playing, honestly. The only exceptions I can think of are multiplayer DLCs, like the ones in Assassin's Creed games or the Uncharted games, but that's what GOTY editions and gold editions are for, so you're not paying much extra and getting the good SP DLC(s) alongside it. There was also that one PlayStation All-Stars DLC trophy but it was really cheap so oh well.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Tusked-Lattice said:

Any game without a platinum is basically telling you not to buy it because it has no worthwhile content, really I should thank the developers for the warning and saving me money. 

But, isn't that normally reflected in the price??? You aren't going to find any 60$ games without a plat. And most games that don't have one is a third of the price. There are a few exceptions, but it's definitely not common.

• Like 1

I'd like to go with some others saying it's just preference. When there were no trophies at all and the game had an ingame percentage counter I got 100% in it, even if it meant grinding back then in the old days. Now with trophies it is the same for me. When I go through my trophy list and there is a game listed and has platinum but not 100% it is still incomplete for me because I haven't explored all there is (I even do stuff that is not needed trophywise if I like the game and I do like most of my games).

DLCs are not always worth the money they cost but there are a lot which are pretty good and if you are patient you can get them on a discount sooner or later or you just wait and get a complete edition from a game.

Additional I would say I do not care about platinums at all. I have a lot of 100% games on my list and I loved them the same way as I would have loved them with a plat. Just a few more trophies and points with a plat. I guess that's why if I look at another account I don't look how much platinums they have, I look at the completion rate and go through the list and see what games were played, which have been completed and which not. I would never judge anyone because of their playstyle, but of course I can't deny that there are accounts I appreciate more than others but it's not based on if someone did DLCs or not.

Edited by Savyna
  • Like 1

I go mainly for platinums, however I've started looking at 100% games (that have no platinum) now too. For example I want to get Sonic Mania at some point!

If the game has a platinum and releases a DLC with trophies attached to it I am happy with just having the platinum as I personally don't want to spend more money just to have that 100% for a game. Unless I am really enjoying the game and the DLC is on sale then I'll buy it, I did that with Wolfenstein 2 and keep meaning to get the Evil Within season pass but just haven't when it's been on sale! Hoping the season pass of AC: Origins goes on sale at some point too, will definitely be buying that as the setting is amazing and I've heard nothing but good things about the game. Also the team that made ACIV are the same team that developed ACO, loved Black Flag!

I've been meaning to get back to AC: Syndicate at some point too, heard that was decent overall but I avoided it on release because Unity left a bitter taste in my mouth. Anyone played the DLC for Syndicate?

Edited by lynx_1985
  • Like 1

platinum is designed to unlock only after you've done everything the devs felt was worth experiencing in their game

what unlocks after you achieve 100% ?  (serious question, cuz i've never bothered wasting my time with DLC  :) )

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tusked-Lattice said:

I just want the platinum. 

Games without platinums are worthless garbage! 

1 hour ago, Tusked-Lattice said:

This might be one of the dumbest things I've ever read on this site. If there's one thing that doesn't show you how valuable a game is, it's the trophy set.

As someone who has just about as much 100% games without platinum trophies as platinum trophies, I can assure you that there's more than enough great games out there that don't have a platinum trophy.

As for myself, I generally care more about 100% than about the platinum trophy. Sure, getting the platinum is nice but a game is only fully completed for me if I actually see the 100%. That's just completely personal though.

• Like 2

At the end of the day, it's all about opinion. It could also be argued that neither one of them really matter all that much.

Personally, I use trophies as an excuse to keep playing a game. So I don't think either one "matters" more than the other. If a game has DLC, it's reasonably priced, and I want to keep playing the game, I'll go for the 100%. If a game has DLC and the trophies are a huge bummer or it's overpriced, then I won't get the DLC. Ultimately, I'm not going to pay extra for something I don't want, just for 100%. That's a little ridiculous to me.

Edited by ExHaseo

2 hours ago, FearForDignity said:

None of ya'll will probably be surprised by my answer, but I appreciate the feeling of a 100% a lot more than unlocking a platinum trophy. That's just me though and I don't hold some higher regard to it or look down on people who stop at platinums or don't strive for the 100%. (I've joked about it with a few people on here in chat but that's about as far as it goes).

I will also say, that in the days of the season pass and continued support (years, for what it seems like) keeping 100%'s in mind has definitely shaped my spending habits. I will wait years if I have to, and I have a feeling I will be waiting until PS5 for a complete FF15 collection.

Cheers.

Even more fascinating about your profile is, that you don't achieve the 100% with multiple crap games but with rather "normal" and hard ones. Tbh I expected Steins Gate (which you should check out - 1 time ?) a dozen times, 2x my name is mayo, sound shapes a million times etc. but no. Really impressive, even if you avoid fighting games :D 

• Like 1

I'd rather have a 100% than a platinum but I often find that I don't want to be bothered with buying DLC. I usually only do that when I really liked the game and depending on how cheap it is. Like the platinum for MW3 only gets you about 60ish % which is disappointing (I'm usually happy with 70+%) but the 5 DLCs are all still full price, so yeah forget that.

It's also kinda disappointing (to me) when new DLC is released years later that includes trophies. I liked having 100% on GTA V but I just don't think I can be bothered with all the requirements for doing heists perfectly.

@Beyondthegrave07 I actually pay a bit more attention to the completion rates but that might just be me. I think it's just because it's interesting to see how dedicated people are to sticking with a game until it's completely done. But obviously a lot of people (like me) can't really keep up with the expense so I guess it doesn't mean that much.

For me personally, it all depends on the different variables. Is the 100% achievable, is it worth it, how much did I enjoy the game, is it a long grind, is it hard, and etc.. I would go for the 100% if it's achievable in my book. For example, Battlefield Hardline DLC requires someone to get 40,000 kills which is a long grind but I like that game so I'll eventually start working on that an achieve the trophies. However, I have experienced a game where for me the 100% wasn't possible so I've settled for the platinum which I have no shame in. I put my best foot forward and gave it my best shot but I just couldn't take it anymore. The game was mirror's edge and those time trials for the DLC was extremely hard for me so I grabbed as many DLC trophies I could get and just left the rest and moved on.