Anyone else hate Daylight Saving Time?

RadiantFlamberge

What do you think about Daylight Saving Time?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Love it or Hate it?

• Love it!
    • Hate it!

Tomorrow, Daylight Saving Time begins.  I hate it.  Yes, "Spring Forward", or having to set your clock ahead 1 hour, sucks.

I know some people like the extra hour of daylight, but I sure don't.  It gives you an extra hour of dark in the morning.  Not my jam.  I'd rather see the sun set on its normal schedule.  I don't want daylight at 9 PM, when I'd rather be able to start winding down for the evening.

I think DST should be gotten rid of nationally.  Russia experimented with non-stop DST, then decided to ditch it totally after many complaints of late sunrises especially in winter.  Good move.

What do you think? 

I hate it too. Especially knowing why it exists. It was originally established in 1916 as a way for Germany to conserve coal during wartime, and was adopted by other countries for the same reason. Since then, it's come and gone multiple times. Usually around when there's some kind of energy crisis or large scale war (like the world wars). Now though, I don't think there's much reason for it to be around. We aren't having any kind of energy crisis, and while there is a war going on, it's not a large scale war.

From what I understand, the main reason it's still around, at least in the US, is because of businesses. Businesses make more money since it gets dark later, and people shop more when it's light outside. Unfortunately, that means that it isn't going anywhere. As long as big businesses want it, it's going to stay.

It's pointless, I've always hated it. Although it will be nice to change the clocks in a few hours so it's actually daylight out longer in the afternoon. It's depressing to set the clocks back in Fall/Autumn and have it be pitch black at like 5:30pm :facepalm: 

Edited by BlindMango
  • Like 1

Hated it every year. I don't like waking up to it being dark outside or it getting dark before I even get home from work. Plus, all of my clocks are from the 1980s so I hate having to manually set them backwards and forwards by pressing the button and hoping to not accidentally skip over the hour.

I enjoy it, I personally hate it when the day gets dark hence why I have so many lights in my bedroom. xD Having the day stay lighter for more time makes the days seem longer and since I do art it's very much needed. The only thing which bothers me is losing an hour of sleep but I don't wake up early either so I can't complain. 

The clocks for UK don't move forward until the 25th March so I've still got to wait a little.

• Like 1

in the middle on this one...lived in Japan for a decade where they don't apply it and it makes for short summer days...here now in Canada, i love the summer but work long hours so having sunlight till like 22:00 is tops...i just wish it would carry over so that this would be all year...i don't like the super short sun hours, dark at 16:30, in the winter so that hour less makes a difference and a dislike for the daylight savings...neither love nor hate...it is what it is...

Edited by ProfBambam55

I love it when the clocks go forward, having the lighter evenings is actually beneficial for me in a number of ways (mental health in particular)

Florida are actually trying to pass it into law where it is daylight savings all the time: https://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles/2018-03-09/sunshine-state-florida-seeks-all-year-daylight-saving-time

On 3/10/2018 at 11:05 PM, Mesopithecus said:

I love it when the clocks go forward, having the lighter evenings is actually beneficial for me in a number of ways (mental health in particular)

Florida are actually trying to pass it into law where it is daylight savings all the time: https://www.usnews.com/news/us/articles/2018-03-09/sunshine-state-florida-seeks-all-year-daylight-saving-time

Yea, but it says the US Congress would have to approve...good luck with that!

20 hours ago, Feral said:

Always liked it as a kid, more time outside. Now I'm not as keen, it just means it's boiling hot for longer.

It sucks both ways.  In the morning, DST means an extra hour of colder temperatures & maybe even frost during my waking hours in March & early April.  Brrr, brrr, brrr.

Jamaica & many other Caribbean countries/territories don't have DST at all.  If they don't need it, we sure don't either. 

The sun setting earlier can be a great relief if the day's high is 95+, which for me is where it starts to get too hot.