Top 3 grinds for a platinum/trophy

Deluziion90

So I was thinking about some games I did the past year for a platinum which just made me near insane cause of some stupid trophy/Trophies that made me grind for hours upon hours and sometimes even days.

I had this idea for a topic where people could tell there stories about some games and what they needed to do for the platinum. If this stuff gets high in replies it would be a cool place to look for games you maybe want to play in the future and what you can expect for some trophies

This is the list I had in mind to get things sorted:

* The game

* how many hours

* The trophy + Rarity

* What was the goal/what was the objective

As my trophy hunting journey only started since May last year I've had some games that came to my mind

mRvnR0x.png

Game 1: Dark Souls 3

Hours: +-15 hours

The trophies: Master of Sorceries, Master of Pyromancies(22.81%)Master of Miracles(19.22%), Master of Rings(19.85%) -
What to do:
For certain trophies you had to aquire all rings, spells and all of those things. I suck really hard in the PVP aspect of the game and finding people was sometimes hard as well.

Instead of killing/finding people in pvp I went with the PVE approach and had to grind out certain items which took me wayyyy too long. Droprate <1%

VkEcOqK.png

Game 2: Final Fantasy XV: Comrades (multiplayer DLC)

Hours: 20~ hours

Trophy: Let There Be Light - Amassed an output of 999,999 kW. - Ultra rare 3.61%

What to do: Clear out the full map. Problem you end up missing around 360.000KW. So I've grinded 1 missions 100+ times to get the remaining KW. For the ones that don't play the game. The loading times are the worst part of this trophy.

bLSvx7J.png

Game 3: Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Hours: n/a This took me days.

Trophy: Achieved - Complete all SIDE OPS. - 12.28%

What to do: Play all side missions. Nothing special to do and some don't even take that long. The only downside is there are 153 side ops and most of them are the same thing over and over. (I'm atleast aware now this game is made by Hideo Kojima as the credits roll after each side ops ?)

• Like 2

My favorite type of games are JRPGs so I don't mind grinding for hours. I actually find it pretty relaxing. That is until a few years back I played this infamous game.

So this is my top 1:

L225666.png

Star Ocean 4: The last hope international.

Hours: 400+ hours grinding battletrophies/550 hours platinum time.

Trophy: Ultimate Battler- obtain 100% of all battle trophies-0.92%

What to do: Collect all 900 battletrophies.

This is the one game that nearly broke my spirit. I did it in the end though. Even weirder, I actually want to plat the 4K remaster to see how fast I could do it this time, too bad I don't stack games.

Edited by BB-BakkerJ
  • Like 4

27 minutes ago, Brightblade76 said:

My top 3:

1) White Knight Chronicles (Solo)

648 hours

Trophies: Grinding to Guild Rank 12 (1.7%) and farming materials for the Phibianacci's Diamond trophy (1.3%) are quite painful especially after server shutdown.

2) Star Ocean The Last Hope

574 hours

Trophy: Same as BB post.

3) White Knight Chronicles II (Solo)

498 hours after importing my WKC savegame

Trophies: Again, grinding to GR30 (3.4%) and Phibianacci's Diamond (2.9%) are the ones that require the most effort but Soul Of Evil is the hardest one now that servers are no longer online.

Also I've played FFXIV close to 600 hours, but not for the plat, but because I've liked the game so much, the plat itself took 250 hours or so.

I'm curious of what you had in your WKC1 game save to import to WKC2 (I'm planning to go for that). Your time seams really short for a solo plat in WKC2 (I think..).

Af for the this topic.. I will second the WKC1 (even tough I did half of it in coop right before server closure) and SO4 (but I feel like it was 500 hours of grind...).

As for a 3rd game, maybe Cross Edge (it almost drove me insane..), MK9 (My Kungfu is Strong takes forever) or Gran Turismo 5 (A/B-spec lvl 40 + Gold Standard, but most of the grind wasn't active, since I used b-spec a lot, so that one wasn't to bad) or GTA4 Wanted (took forever) and AWP (glitched twice on me..) 

I may probably have some other long grinds (well, compared to most people, I DO have a lot more long grinds...), but I think those were the more marking ones.

PS: I will properly edit this post to the format requested in the OP later..

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Han_the_Dragon said:

I'm curious of what you had in your WKC1 game save to import to WKC2 (I'm planning to go for that). Your time seams really short for a solo plat in WKC2 (I think..).

I kept a save with almost all of the WKC materials intact, so I could import them in WKC2 and shave off almost half of the bindings from the get go. Then I made all the way to GR15 in WKC and made some Georama sets that helped grinding OGIT 3 and Arena 2 when the grinding started becoming painful in WKC2. I've helped a couple other people during their road to the WKC2 platinum and it took them less time that me.

Edited by Brightblade76
  • Like 2

F1 2010

reach level 50 - 2.52%

Unsure how many hours but it took weeks of three hour sessions doing Montreal races over and over again. 

Far cry 2

soldier of misfortune - unlock all manuals - 0.73%

im 6200 kills in, and I’m only about 75% done. So far this has taken about 60 hours and I anticipate another 25 at least. 

• Like 1

I've only got one game that I'd mark down as an "insane grind".

Game: Star Ocean The Last Hope
Hours: Combined playtime across all saves was probably around 625 hours. Could have been far less, but I wasn't as efficient as I should have been for many of the BTs.
Trophy: Ultimate Battler 0.92%
Goal/objective: Obtain 100% of all battle trophies

2 hours ago, Brightblade76 said:

Also I've played FFXIV close to 600 hours, but not for the plat, but because I've liked the game so much, the plat itself took 250 hours or so.

Same with me and Destiny. I played D1 for over 1100 hours. The plat itself probably didn't even take 150 hours.

Edited by Alindawyl

The Game: Inversion

How many Hours: 250-400 hours, probably closer to the 400hour mark but it's hard to tell as there's no timer.

The trophy + Rarity: Feats Don't Fail Me Now - Complete all basic multiplayer challenges - Gold trophy - 1.25% rarity as of typing (it should be WAY lower)

Reason: it's Binary Domain on steroids, the biggest time sinks are the 250 plays on every gamemode, theres 7 modes for a grand total of 1750 10 minute matches

3 of these gamemodes need 6 players before you can start, so you can't just team up with your friend and idle it for a few days, adding to that, the max level trophy requires so much exp that even if you killboost for the entire 10 minutes of every match, you will be getting the max rank trophy not too long before you get 'Feat's don't fail me now'

And to add onto that this game has horrible freezing issues, freezing once every few matches, which of course invalidates the game as you cannot enter a game in progress, you have to sit through the entire 10 minutes with your fingers crossed that you wont randomly freeze up.

EDIT: i forgot to mention that there's a rare game mode, yeah, RARE GAME MODE that pops up in the 2p game mode selection after each match (you cant access it in the main menu) so you need to get some poor sap to watch the game and manually select it when it pops.

Edited by Orphioon

Not as impressive as others here because i usually avoid grinding at all cost. But the game was Singularity. And you have to do 100 public matches of extermination, doesn't sound so bad but 1 match with loading times costs at least 10 minutes. And you need 6 people to start a match. Therefore we had a big group and only select times where we could play. So it took us at least 2-3 weeks before everyone had their trophies

Completed:

1) Battlefield Bad Company

Time played online: ~ 500 hours

Objectives: First All Online Awards, after that 10.002 kills

Over 6 months for all mp trophies cuz i suck at pvp. Almost 4 hours a day. And i hated every min of it.

2) Gran Turismo 5

Time: a month long

Objective: Gold Standard Trophy + 1.000 cars

Winning the races was the hard part. Getting money for more cars was done afk farming but that way my ps3 was busy an entire month

Not nearly as bad as BFBC although i don't like GT 5 that much compared to other racing games (like Shift 2)

Currently working on:

1) Bleach Soul Resurrección

Time: ~ 100 hours already

Objective: all characters lv max + all character complete all sidemissions

Not as long as the other two games i've mentioned but really boring cuz i replayed 1 sidemission over and over again to reach lv max with 12 of 19 characters so far

Ooooh nice thread. It was extremely tough to narrow it down and so I'll place the top 3 with some honourable mentions :)

1) Batman Arkham City 3 starring all dlc characters +Batman= Biggest pain in the @$$!!. I think that part of it being skill based is what made it place as number 1. 

2) GTA5 lvl 100 ( lol I'm actually level 110 or something now because I played more with friends). This was actually fun to get and there wasn't ever a time where I felt it was a grind but nonetheless according to Rockstar social club, I logged in 251 hrs online

3) Mirror's Edge 99 stars. While 90 was the trophy requirement I just went ahead and tried to get all ? :)

Honourable mentions( in no order of grindyness):

Skyrim: had to start a new playthrough to get all daedric artifacts. Even with the book glitch it took me roughly 15 hrs

Arkham Knight/ heck all Batman games: Challenge mode are super grindy but Arkham City takes the cake. 

Bioshock 2: getting to lvl 50 and prestiging was a pain in the butt!! 82746482929 turrets were hacked xD. I actually ended up playing the online legit for the last 5 or so Lvls because I had no interest in setting up a session. I ended up spending probably 10 hrs more than if I would've boosted online but I at least had fun and got good :P

JC3: wingsuit/ other challenges. Took forever along with the dlc challenges and liberating/ collecting everything but it was fun nonetheless!

Mad Max: same as above!

UFC 2: 

Getting lvl 26 online required that I play approx 150-200 matches online and you can't boost it. It was also super fun nonetheless :)

FFXV comrades dlc:

You guessed it.. 999999999999999999 Kw...

Tomb Raider:

Getting lvl 60 took me straight up 8-10 hrs of mind numbing work as I laughed bags back and forth.. one of the worst thing I've done but it was short and so I excluded it from the top 3. Otherwise this would've been the worst grind I've done. 

RDR: getting to max lvl... Jk jk j actually got it in 5 mins with the glitch :P

Congrats on reading this long, here's a ?

Edited by PooPDeePie

I can't name 3, so here's the 6 that stand out.

1) Battlefield Bad Company 1, A platinum with less than 1% of achievers is bound to be a bitch. Boosting this was a pain and the majority of time spent on this was in lobbies waiting for sessions to start.

2) Grand Theft Auto 5 - level 100 speaks for itself, although I'm looking forward to doing it again on PS4

3) Battlefield Hardline: 40k trophies, I'm 16k in, and still enjoying it. 

4) Guitar Hero Live: 1 million strums, say no more.

5) Mortal Kombat 9: 300 hours of AFK.

6) Max Payne 3: 13 playthrough attempts. What a shitshow. 

4 hours ago, Brightblade76 said:

I kept a save with almost all of the WKC materials intact, so I could import them in WKC2 and shave off almost half of the bindings from the get go. Then I made all the way to GR15 in WKC and made some Georama sets that helped grinding OGIT 3 and Arena 2 when the grinding started becoming painful in WKC2. I've helped a couple other people during their road to the WKC2 platinum and it took them less time that me.

Ok, nice to know! Thanks for the info.

I forgot exactly how my WKC save file is, but I either have some decent amount of materials or weapons (or money), I forgot.. but it's probably money :(. I will look into it, but maybe I will grind a bit more in WKC before starting WKC2, just to have a few extra materials.. my Georama wasn't really that great, and I think that I'm just GR12 in WKC..

Game: Binary Domain

Trophy: Challenge Master 0.84%

Time: Been grinding for almost 3 months due to personal challenges, getting 6 to start a lobby and coordination with others. Currently working on completion. 

Game: Tom Clancy's Future Solider

Trophy: Platinum Trophy 0.59%

Time: Been a while since I boosted this, but I remember doing this for a few months (the MP as the SP's a breeze even on Elite)

Currently working on as well:

Game: WarHammer 40K Space Marine

Trophy: Platinum Trophy 1.33%

Time: A few years lol reason is because I've been going back and forth of boosting and not boosting. But now, I'm boosting with a group and also is looking to do the DLC as well. 

I see those 400-500 hours grinds n it makes think of how many other games that could of been played. I complain about the Helldivers grind for kills. It's 10,000 kills n I put in more than 50 hours n I'm barely at 3,000. You pros probably laugh at me for complaining.

3 hours ago, Orphioon said:

The Game: Inversion

How many Hours: 250-400 hours, probably closer to the 400hour mark but it's hard to tell as there's no timer.

The trophy + Rarity: Feats Don't Fail Me Now - Complete all basic multiplayer challenges - Gold trophy - 1.25% rarity as of typing (it should be WAY lower)

Reason: it's Binary Domain on steroids, the biggest time sinks are the 250 plays on every gamemode, theres 7 modes for a grand total of 1750 10 minute matches

3 of these gamemodes need 6 players before you can start, so you can't just team up with your friend and idle it for a few days, adding to that, the max level trophy requires so much exp that even if you killboost for the entire 10 minutes of every match, you will be getting the max rank trophy not too long before you get 'Feat's don't fail me now'

And to add onto that this game has horrible freezing issues, freezing once every few matches, which of course invalidates the game as you cannot enter a game in progress, you have to sit through the entire 10 minutes with your fingers crossed that you wont randomly freeze up.

EDIT: i forgot to mention that there's a rare game mode, yeah, RARE GAME MODE that pops up in the 2p game mode selection after each match (you cant access it in the main menu) so you need to get some poor sap to watch the game and manually select it when it pops.

Was about to mention this but you nailed it. Just got out of that grind a month ago.

• Like 1

I play mostly RPG's so there are many games I can list, but I'll list my top three super grindy (pain in the xxx ones)

1. Final-Fantasy-XIII-01.png

Game: Final Fantasy XIII

Hours: 137 hours

Trophy: Treasure Hunter- involved endless hours of turtle farming for trapezohedrons (around 1% drop) and platinum ignots (5% drop) to get all the weapons. Also, dark matters from Shaolong Gui's (5%) were a pain and really hard to beat as even the slightest delay in optima change will have them KO all your characters. 

2. Logo.png

Game: Tales of Vesperia

Trophies: Get all titles, 100% monster book, 100% item collection, 100% everything really including all mini games, touching all save points, sub events, secret missions, treasure chests...

Hours to plat: I platted this twice, once on my old account taking 135 hours and again on this account taking 125 hours.

Everything and anything is missable. You need a guide glued to your face for the entire game as even just the smallest story progression can lead to platinum disaster and another playthrough if not careful.

3. o0464015512246973144.jpg

Game: Tales of Xillia 2

Trophy: Both the passive skill and support skill trophies, requiring 450 uses of each for all 9 characters, making it 18 (2 per character) x 450.... the tedium of using the same move 450 times, and doing that 18 times! By far the most boring trophy venture I have every embarked upon!! The Battle challenge trophies were also annoying to grind but not as bad. 

Hours to platinum: 127 hours

Other games I could contend are Tales of Berseria: A Solid B trophy, 105 hours. Needed use of the same moves and abilities not hundereds but thousands of times, like 2-3 thousand.... for every character.... Very very very grindy. Tales games trophies are just so grindy, Zestiria and Symphonia are the same if not worse and are the only two I didn't bother with in terms of platinuming due to the insane grind. 

ToB-Velvet-JP-TV-Spot.jpg

• Like 1

Game: Gran Turismo 5

Trophy: Gold Standard (1.06%)

Time: The game took me around 600 hours to get the platinum primarily because of this trophy.  The Vettel challenge (F you Suzuka :shakefist: ).  Enough said LOL

Game: Mortal Kombat

Trophy: My Kung Fu is Stronger (0.71%)

Time:  This game took me around 450 hours to complete.  You have to spend 24 hours of actual gaming time of each of the 28 default characters, which would be at least 672 hours.  Fortunately, you can play tag team match, literally cutting your grind in half.  Still a grind though.  You also had to get 100 fatalities, get 100 wins, land 150 X-ray moves, and spill 10K pints of blood with each character.

Game: NBA 2K15

Trophy: There's More? (0.05%)

Time:  This one was pretty short, comparing the other two at around 250-300 hours of gameplay, but this trophy was by far the most annoying (and expensive) for me to get.  There's a reason why only 30 people (I was the 3rd one to get it) got the platinum on this game, and it's definitely this trophy.  It if weren't for earlier exploits, I would have definitely spent a lot more money on packs and in-game currency to get every historic card in this game mode called MyTeam.  If you guys played FUT in FIFA or MUT in Madden, then you have an idea what I'm talking about and how much pack odds can really suck LOL

If/when I complete NBA 2K18, this will be by far my most grinding platinum, easily exceeding the 1000 hour mark.  I have other games that took me in the 100+ hour mark, but these three games are the ones that are my biggest grinds, for now.

Edited by grimydawg
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Han_the_Dragon said:

Ok, nice to know! Thanks for the info.

I forgot exactly how my WKC save file is, but I either have some decent amount of materials or weapons (or money), I forgot.. but it's probably money :(. I will look into it, but maybe I will grind a bit more in WKC before starting WKC2, just to have a few extra materials.. my Georama wasn't really that great, and I think that I'm just GR12 in WKC..

Since I did both WKC and WKC 2 solo, I planned ahead so that I could take advantage of the farming done in WKC also for WKC2 bindings. The most useful Georama sets are GR13 +80 (DEX, INT) sets, they will be useful once you reach level 70, in order to grind the golems in OGIT 3/Arena 2

Edited by Brightblade76

1 hour ago, redcar200 said:

I see those 400-500 hours grinds n it makes think of how many other games that could of been played. I complain about the Helldivers grind for kills. It's 10,000 kills n I put in more than 50 hours n I'm barely at 3,000. You pros probably laugh at me for complaining.

Helldivers can be done with rubberbanding, so it's not so bad IMO. Here are the ones that stand out to me:

SingStar (PS3 disc version)

Trophy: They Really Love Me (0.88%) - Have a media upload rated 4 stars by at least 1000 ratings

Time: I don't remember as it was 2010/2011, but it required a lot of people and a lot of extra accounts; not the only grindy trophy in the game, either

Class of Heroes 2G

Trophy: Meat Grinder (1.48%) - Obliterate 50,000 Monsters

Time: ~50 hours of pure grind AFTER completing everything else in the game.

EA Sports Active 2.0

Trophy: Trail Blazer (0.36%) - Run 1000km/621.4 mi. in Fitness Trail

Time: Lost track, but you also have to to 1000km in biking AND "mountain boarding"

I have some others, like Diablo III and FIFA 11, but the ones above felt the most like pure grinds rather than playing towards a goal and having some fun. Happy Dungeons would also be up there with ~100 hours, but again it can be rubberbanded.

EDIT: The Class of Heroes one would be more like 1.14% if the stats were being calculated right (10 achievers instead of 13).

Edited by RNumbers