Earning Trophies on 3rd Party, Independently Revived PSN Game Servers

Just now, sepheroithisgod said:

You could, but will be flagged unless the staff changes their mind.

So the official ruling is it's a "no no"?

We gotta get some ladders help these people from their high horses. If bringing back a dead server for a game is bad, I don't wanna be good.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sepheroithisgod said:

You could, but will be flagged unless the staff changes their mind.

It's not part of the flagging rules currently: https://forum.psnprofiles.com/topic/52663-what-constitutes-a-flag/ or I should say that it's not clearly stated if it is against the rules or not. So what I have to say about that is, we need confirmation from staff and as much as people like to think it, @MMDE doesn't control all of the staff on the website. Just because he comments most on the disputes doesn't mean he controls all the rules on the website, if he could he'd likely want to flag people for the debug glitches on Jak games, but because it's part of the game there's nothing he can do about it. I left that opinion because before debug menus were found for the Jak games, he had a huge clean-up of the Jak game leaderboards and is by far responsible for the most flags on the Jak games. 

Edited by Sergen

1 hour ago, Dorroile said:

This is a great thing which should absolutely be allowed. If we're going to be paranoid about BUT WHAT IF THE SERVERS ARE MODDED then you might as well apply that line of thinking to everything. After all, who can say if you earned ANY of your trophies, or if you just hacked them all and got creative with your timestamps? We might as well start demanding that people upload gameplay video of themselves unlocking every trophy they earn at that point. I'd rather have a way of earning previously unobtainable trophies - even with a small risk of a modded server or whatever - than having said trophies be permanently unavailable. This should absolutely be allowed, as it could breathe some fresh life into dead games, help people clean up some of their unobtainable plats, and generally provide a net gain to the community.

Out of curiousity, if the admins decide to listen to common sense and allowed revived servers, would it be possible to set up similar servers for upload-based trophies? As in, the ones you find in games like Bad Company or Saints Row 3, where all you have to do is literally push a button to upload something to a now-dead server. I can't possibly see how something as simple as THAT would be a problem for the sacred leaderboards. Because i'd really like being able to finally get the plat in Instant Artist.

1. The servers are mods or whatever you want to call it, so no idea what you mean by what if the servers are modded.
  2. Games where the servers do way more than just match making is easily exploitable, and if people start implementing and sharing this, it's basically just a piece of software that will allow you to cheat the trophies, and you know most people will just do that rather than playing legit, and it just becomes unfair to sit there and differentiate etc. Tons of drama incoming. While I get that your argument is that you never know if someone cheats, 
  3. I'm not interested in people needing to upload video game footage. This is not something everyone can do, and it will just be a complete mess.
  4. You say it's a net gain, but don't discuss the issues. 

If you just want to have fun, do that on another PSN account. So anyone bringing up this as any kind of point, it's just irrelevant to the discussion.

1 hour ago, TheLakota said:

Don't so it if you care about your spot on the board. Do it if you don't give a shit. You will get flagged. 

Not if gets to be allowed for that game, but I think @Van-Helsings is going about this the right way. Awaiting some clarity! :)

1 hour ago, sepheroithisgod said:

Without a doubt, this is a great thing for everyone! I think the argument that people may cheat is absurd. People already cheat. It doesn't mean everyone should suffer. One of the games with unobtainable trophies for me is Resistance 2's 10,000 kills trophy. I would love the opportunity to go back and finish it, but it's not possible. I would certainly be a fan of these servers being restored by any means, as long as the trophies could be earned legitimately. If Sony gave players the feature to delete games off of their PSN account, this method would not be needed.

Great, someone who usually goes for 100% in all the games they do wants to get a trophy that has gone unobtainable...

1 hour ago, pinkrobot_pb said:

On a personal note, with "games as a service" just around the corner, every action that will manage to save some of our current games for later should be applauded. This is a part of our culture, and where you can still play the retro games from years gone by and enjoy all of it, with the ever growing online part this will mostly not be true for today's games. If you're a gaming enhusiast, please welcome this and try to fit it into what you value today. Because I would hate it if someone shot this kind of thing down just to preserve their own rarity on some online profile that will be forgotten in ten years time anyway.

Is there anyone who thinks otherwise? :P Personally, as for rarity, I don't care much tbh. 

1 hour ago, TheLakota said:

I mentioned it because it's cheesy as fuck and indicative of the ridiculous lengths to which people go to maintain "legitimacy."

Many games have allowed cheesy as fuck cheat codes. These days many games comes with such features you just pay some money for. So what? That's not what we're talking about. :S

58 minutes ago, Dorroile said:

Another thing that confuses me about the admin reasoning is the implication that this could apparently be a problem not only due to potential modded servers, but also due to requiring third-party software on a PC. But it's still allowed to, for example, use remote play on PC and then initiate a third-party AutoHotKey script to get the jumprope trophy in FFIX. In fact that could be even worse in terms of legitimacy, since it wouldn't even be possible to tell if it was earned legit or not - whereas for revived online servers, you would at least KNOW that they earned the trophy past the original shutdown date and thus obviously used a revived server. While a case by case basis could work, i think issuing some sort of blanket ban on online servers would be at best inconsistent with other rules, and at worst an affront to a community that seems fairly positive towards the idea.

Scripted input is not the same as third party custom software. :S You don't see the difference between scripted input and writing a server software that interacts with the game in a totally different way than what is intended? This is the kind of thing we're talking about:

Yes, this on the line of modding the game, you're just modding the server portion of the game instead of the local portion. And the server can send whatever to the client (the game).

41 minutes ago, joskeabzu said:

Since this topic is quite long I didn't bothered to read every post there was.

I guess some people are over exaggerating about this "MP revive of certain game(s)" For one Gamespy is more of a middleware to enable matchmaking as well as providing servers for games which can be dedicated servers(which require the servertools of said game) or games that use P2P which is hosted by the device you play on, PS3/PS4/etc.

It's highly unlikely that these "P2P revived MP games" are going to be changed compared to when they were up. Which I don't think it changed anything by the looks of it.

Still I highly doubt that this would work for games that actually require the "dedicated server tools", unless you have those of course but it's highly unlikely that devs/pub will release it. But I don't think that it's doable to revive those games, without extended knowledge or without the source code/tools to do so..

Maybe you should elaborate the answer to the question whether or not this "gamespy server" is a hack and what it defines as considered cheating. I guess the people who made the tools could easily tell what is happening and what it exactly is doing, which could answer the question whether or not it will change the game in anyway or not..

On a side note I'd like to add:
I guess most people here don't know the golden times when games like Quake, Unreal Tournament (1999 - 2004), Return to castle Wolfenstein, Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory, Medal Of Honor: Allied Assault, Tribes, Day of Defeat, CoD 1 through 4 etc were highly popular. All these games had one thing in common you could set up your very own multiplayer server or have the ability to set up your own MP online server on a real server instead of your local PC. All for free.. Plus the fact that you could make your own maps or mod the game to make a complete new game like a Battlefield 1942 mod that changed the entire game into a modern war game instead of a WW2 game.

But nowadays no servertools or modtools except for a few games like Fallout 4 or Skyrim on PC have some of the greatest mods as well as others I may have forgotten.

But should we just give a blanket "yes" to allow just any kind of server? And you probably know how lose the term "server" is. It's just a program/service waiting for some client to contact it and do something for it and respond etc.

When you bring up Skyrim mods etc, you saw how much drama that was surrounding Sony. So what do you think they feel about this kind of stuff? Should we support it in any way?

There's also social issues.

So yeah, IMO if this is going to be something that is to be allowed, it should be on a case by case basis.

7 minutes ago, MMDE said:

1. The servers are mods or whatever you want to call it, so no idea what you mean by what if the servers are modded.
  2. Games where the servers do way more than just match making is easily exploitable, and if people start implementing and sharing this, it's basically just a piece of software that will allow you to cheat the trophies, and you know most people will just do that rather than playing legit, and it just becomes unfair to sit there and differentiate etc. Tons of drama incoming. While I get that your argument is that you never know if someone cheats, 
  3. I'm not interested in people needing to upload video game footage. This is not something everyone can do, and it will just be a complete mess.
  4. You say it's a net gain, but don't discuss the issues. 

If you just want to have fun, do that on another PSN account. So anyone bringing up this as any kind of point, it's just irrelevant to the discussion.

Not if gets to be allowed for that game, but I think @Van-Helsings is going about this the right way. Awaiting some clarity! :)

Great, someone who usually goes for 100% in all the games they do wants to get a trophy that has gone unobtainable...

Is there anyone who thinks otherwise? :P Personally, as for rarity, I don't care much tbh. 

Many games have allowed cheesy as fuck cheat codes. These days many games comes with such features you just pay some money for. So what? That's not what we're talking about. :S

Scripted input is not the same as third party custom software. :S You don't see the difference between scripted input and writing a server software that interacts with the game in a totally different way than what is intended? This is the kind of thing we're talking about:

Yes, this on the line of modding the game, you're just modding the server portion of the game instead of the local portion. And the server can send whatever to the client (the game).

But should we just give a blanket "yes" to allow just any kind of server? And you probably know how lose the term "server" is. It's just a program/service waiting for some client to contact it and do something for it and respond etc.

When you bring up Skyrim mods etc, you saw how much drama that was surrounding Sony. So what do you think they feel about this kind of stuff? Should we support it in any way?

There's also social issues.

So yeah, IMO if this is going to be something that is to be allowed, it should be on a case by case basis.

You keep using Street Fighter V as an example, but I've told you time and again that exploits to fight money would be within the ToS of the game, because it is exploiting a currency that can be used to buy DLC instead of paying real money for it. Not a single thing in the ToS of PSN prohibits creating an emulated server for a game that was shut down and nothing prohibits connecting to one in any way. PSNProfiles will simply be making up rules that have nothing to do with the ToS of PSN based on the small likelihood that someone might hack games with it, but like I've also said multiple times: if someone wants to hack games they'd do it by now. They also wouldn't wait for the all-clear from PSNProfiles before creating a server just to hack a game with it, there's not lines of people waiting to start editing a server who want PSNProfiles approval, for years people have been making custom servers on PC and PS2. Everything that currently constitutes a flag for this website has something to do with what is against the ToS of PSN, but this case in particular does not breach any rules in the ToS of PSN. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Sergen said:

It's not part of the flagging rules currently: https://forum.psnprofiles.com/topic/52663-what-constitutes-a-flag/ or I should say that it's not clearly stated if it is against the rules or not. So what I have to say about that is, we need confirmation from staff and as much as people like to think it, @MMDE doesn't control all of the staff on the website. Just because he comments most on the disputes doesn't mean he controls all the rules on the website, if he could he'd likely want to flag people for the debug glitches on Jak games, but because it's part of the game there's nothing he can do about it. I left that opinion because before debug menus were found for the Jak games, he had a huge clean-up of the Jak game leaderboards and is by far responsible for the most flags on the Jak games. 

What a load of crap.

• I told you that currently it's not being allowed, and that it would need to be discussed.
  • I told you that it would be discussed and is being discussed.
  • I'm not controlling any other staff. I say my opinion, they say theirs, and most do what they're assigned to do.
  • You're just dead wrong about Jak debug menu. I got no idea why this is even brought up. And I got no idea why you think I'd likely want to flag people for it if I could. In fact, I've been straight forward with anyone who has asked about it that it's totally okay, and even in this thread that it's just an in-game button input cheat code. A feature that people just hadn't discovered before recently. Please don't say bullshit like this. I've even posted guides to similar debug menus in other games.
  • You got no idea how many is flagged for the Jak games. You say a huge clean-up as if I genuinely care all that much if someone cheated the game or something. I don't. Pretty damn common knowledge I'm the exact opposite. -_- I barely touched Jak 1, and it's mostly been CFW. Jak 2 I never touched, and Jak 3 was like a hundred people. And I got no idea why you bring this up as some kind of point???
Edited by MMDE

I’ve only read half the topic so far, but I strongly support this for multiple reasons:

-First of all trophy hunting becomes more inviting as it provides opportunities to play and earn trophies on the older games, which would open the amount of games we had access to trophies on.

-As mentioned in the topic, it is possible that PS3 & Vita servers could be going down soon, which would ruin trophy hunting for myself and many others (especially as I’ve started a new account and wouldn’t be able to platinum some of my PS3 favourites) so this would be a solution and would reduce the stress on trophy hunters to earn all of the multiplayer trophies in a mad dash, it would also mean that many people wouldn’t regard a PS3 game as ‘completed’ as soon as they’ve completed the multiplayer.

-As @ProfBambam55 said, life is too short to monitor all of these issues regarding cheaters etc, but we could counter this in a couple of ways; a trophy hunter can usually be profiled to determined their legitimacy, most trophies in these games would still require multiple boosting partners which can provide alibis and the sites team could vet these servers and their legitimacy, which leads me to my next and final point:

I’m incredibly glad you’ve brought this up @Sergen, and if anyone is able to enlighten us on how to create these servers, it would mean we could return to favourites such as Homefront, and other games in larger franchises which means trophy hunters shall be able to 100% every game in certain franchises. It would also mean the staff team on the site could pick up knowledge on how these servers operate and even vet the legitimacy of the code of the sites on a deeper level if they so wished. 

I know there is the issue of some games having trophies which aren’t multiplayer, but more ‘Live Events’ such as EA UFC 2 and a few other games but these games could still be identified as unobtainable. 

At the end end of the day, we would still be earning trophies legitimately and there is no reason not to, so let’s work to make this a thing so that trophy hunting becomes a lot more enjoyable and less stressful again - because that can take the fun out of it!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sly Ripper said:

I don't see an issue with this currently but use it at your own risk. If it's updated to allow trophies to unlock without doing the requirements then you'll get flagged.

Found it pretty damn funny how your reply got 7+ rep barely within a minute, but anyway this is good news to myself and what appears to be the majority of people posting in here. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Sly Ripper said:

I don't see an issue with this currently but use it at your own risk. If it's updated to allow trophies to unlock without doing the requirements then you'll get flagged.

I'll do some more testing before committing to doing this on my primary profile. If all looks good, then I'll be playing Bulletstorm this weekend. :D

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, dj_helyx said:

I'll do some more testing before committing to doing this on my primary profile. If all looks good, then I'll be playing Bulletstorm this weekend. :D

I'll recommend as a precautionary measure, you do record/screenshot the trophies that you earn on the game as that will help your defence if you do happen to be reported by someone who is unaware of this thread. 

What a day to run out of reputation points to give hahaha. But I have to say thank you to @Sly Ripper for leaving your opinion in this matter. I think based on this, @BlindMango will be able to update the rules accordingly to inform people that the use of a 3rd party independently revived game server to fulfil the requirements for the trophies by legitimately performing the actions that trigger trophies should be allowed, as long as none of the trophies within that server were modded. 

Edited by Sergen
  • Like 2

I'm on the fence about this. On the one hand this would be awesome since games such as Overlord 2 becomes possible to plat again and I'd love to do it. Hell even games such as MAG (I don't see this happening due to the number of people needed), SOCOM 4, or White Knight Chronicles (I would return so fast to it) would be playable online again.

But then there's other issues such as FEAR 2. What if the server is modded to give say 500% XP? This would be a Schrodinger's issue here, technically the server was modded, yet the requirement was done as intended through earning XP and not auto popped. It's just earn at a faster rate which would mean it's both a flaggable offence due to the modding of earned XP values and not a flaggable offence due to technically the requirement was done through gaining XP and not auto popping.

Thoughts?

1 minute ago, Rick_Sanchez said:

I'm on the fence about this. On the one hand this would be awesome since games such as Overlord 2 becomes possible to plat again and I'd love to do it. Hell even games such as MAG (I don't see this happening due to the number of people needed), SOCOM 4, or White Knight Chronicles (I would return so fast to it) would be playable online again.

But then there's other issues such as FEAR 2. What if the server is modded to give say 500% XP? This would be a Schrodinger's issue here, technically the server was modded, yet the requirement was done as intended through earning XP and not auto popped. It's just earn at a faster rate which would mean it's both a flaggable offence due to the modding of earned XP values and not a flaggable offence due to technically the requirement was done through gaining XP and not auto popping.

Thoughts?

I believe there's one thing that has to be said about this community and modding through a game server and that is: a lot of members do inform people about it and report them based on it. Someone can't exactly record their entire grind for the game, but I would say it's fair to show the results of a few matches from games to show that the XP they earned within the game was accurate based on the in-game results screen, everyone these days has a camera to show post-game stat images. Also, I think if someone was to get insane amounts of XP for FEAR 2 or something, their time stamps would indicate illegitimate gameplay, because the game is supposed to take a while. Either way, if people can perform the requirements legitimately then they did do what the game intended for and earn the trophy. If it's found that someone did illegitimately earn a trophy, they can be confronted about it and flagged accordingly, I only personally support playing the games and getting the trophies legitimately and that's what everyone else is also supporting. If I am to play on any revived server, I can guarantee you that I will be making plenty of videos of any trophy being earned to make sure that I can at least prove that the trophies I was doing within the game were earned legitimately. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Rick_Sanchez said:

Thoughts?

I think Slys response covers this. 

Just now, SnowxSakura said:

Going to risk getting cease and desists from some companies if their games were made outside the US

Those are easy to dodge in this use case. Also, the closed and ended server support will pretty much end their case and nullify their cease and desist. A different topic all together I’m happy to discuss the legalities or elsewhere. 

50 minutes ago, ProfBambam55 said:

ok...let's forget about the "what ifs"

Why shoudn’t we care about the what-ifs? Isn’t it a good idea to figure out the potential problems before letting this case decide the fate of every revived server in the future?

The rules of this site *clearly* define this sort of thing as cheating.  If you are arguing for an exception, so be it, but then you need to argue where the exception ends, and basically you saying “who cares” opens too many worms.

I’ll leave you with two questions:

Would someone earning trophies on a 3rd party server be okay with you if the official one was still operational?

If we are changing a rule that is defined, why shouldn’t specific examples be set for the what could occur down the line.  Isn’t it shortsighted to make a single exception without redefining the rules? 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Sergen said:

I'll recommend as a precautionary measure, you do record/screenshot the trophies that you earn on the game as that will help your defence if you do happen to be reported by someone who is unaware of this thread.

Is there a way of capturing screenshots on the PS3 without use of a capture card/other external devices?

2 minutes ago, Gwendly said:

Is there a way of capturing screenshots on the PS3 without use of a capture card/other external devices?

In some games there are, but mainly it would have to be taking a picture with a camera then uploading it to a website if the person doesn't have the necessary means to record the trophy. The vita on the other hand is also affected by various server closures and that console has the option to capture screenshots within the games. I don't see anyone doing server revivals for PS4 any time soon, but in regards to PS3 if someone is playing on a revived server and earning trophies, I urge them to document their progress with the occasional image/video of the gameplay while they're working on it, I think it's fair to say that near-enough everyone on this planet owns some form of camera, if they're on this website they probably have a camera. 

Edited by Sergen

24 minutes ago, B1rvine said:

Why shoudn’t we care about the what-ifs? Isn’t it a good idea to figure out the potential problems before letting this case decide the fate of every revived server in the future?

The rules of this site *clearly* define this sort of thing as cheating.  If you are arguing for an exception, so be it, but then you need to argue where the exception ends, and basically you saying “who cares” opens too many worms.

I’ll leave you with two questions:

Would someone earning trophies on a 3rd party server be okay with you if the official one was still operational?

If we are changing a rule that is defined, why shouldn’t specific examples be set for the what could occur down the line.  Isn’t it shortsighted to make a single exception without redefining the rules? 

if you say "what if?" about one thing then you need to say "what if?" about them all...as intelligent as something may sound it does not make it true...better to just look at the current situation and go from there...

your two questions are pretty irrelevant since as far as I know they have nothing to do with the way Bulletstorm is now...why is it so hard to focus on the present situation?...we can reassess this situation if and when it changes to  whatever future becomes "the current situation"...no need to make a rule that rules them all for non-existent cases at this point in time, is there?...focus on the one and deal with the rest as they come up...seems pretty simple... 

we have the ok on Bulletstorm if trophies are earned according to their original requirements...can we accept this, tread cautiously since it's new territory, and go from there?...

personally, i see the creators of this server as innovative so am keeping an open mind and am curious to see what comes out of their ingenuity...i'm now considering buying Bulletstorm to support their cause since I'm a big fan of what they've done technologically...it's kind of mind-blowing really...

it would be short sighted to take one situation, turn it into something speculative which it is not and disallow it because of the thing it is not...

Edited by ProfBambam55

38 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

I think Slys response covers this. 

He said if it's modified to auto unlock the trophy without doing the requirements it's flaggable.

What I'm asking about is if it's modified to take less time to do the requirements such as an XP boost. Technically, its modified but you still did the requirements.

40 minutes ago, Sergen said:

I believe there's one thing that has to be said about this community and modding through a game server and that is: a lot of members do inform people about it and report them based on it. Someone can't exactly record their entire grind for the game, but I would say it's fair to show the results of a few matches from games to show that the XP they earned within the game was accurate based on the in-game results screen, everyone these days has a camera to show post-game stat images. Also, I think if someone was to get insane amounts of XP for FEAR 2 or something, their time stamps would indicate illegitimate gameplay, because the game is supposed to take a while. Either way, if people can perform the requirements legitimately then they did do what the game intended for and earn the trophy. If it's found that someone did illegitimately earn a trophy, they can be confronted about it and flagged accordingly, I only personally support playing the games and getting the trophies legitimately and that's what everyone else is also supporting. If I am to play on any revived server, I can guarantee you that I will be making plenty of videos of any trophy being earned to make sure that I can at least prove that the trophies I was doing within the game were earned legitimately. 

You do bring up a fair point. I'm going to play devil's advocate here for a moment with FEAR 2. Lets say someone got all but the last XP trophy before the servers went offline. Then the servers were revived via third party servers and holy crap one of them has 500% XP? Awesome! They do the DNS thing, go in with a group who also needs just that last trophy and get their last trophy, taking less time to get it than normal.

Now they can use the argument that Sly says it's okay as long as the server didn't auto unlock the trophy and still boosted the last XP amount. I know what you're getting at with screenshots/video/etc, but what use is it when there's years and years of a time gap between the last XP trophy and the previous one? Which brings me back to interpreting Sly's response where people can consider it a loop hole abuse due to the response of "if it's updated to allow trophies to unlock without doing the requirements then you'll get flagged." Technically, the people in the scenario did the boost with a 500% XP bonus and got the last trophy in no time and wasn't unlocked automatically, they also all agree to keep it on the downlow and has each other's backs. They all didn't take video/screenshots of it leaving no proof, and no one else found their boost group within the 500% XP server to rat them out. Therefore, there's zero proof either way.

I'm just pointing out the part where he said "If it's updated to allow trophies to unlock without doing the requirements then you'll get flagged." can be interpreted in certain ways by people to do similar things in my above scenario. The greatest way to close such a loophole is to cut the loophole abuse altogether with detailed rules on cans do's and can not do's.

One way to close it is with what you suggested with screenshots/video which would likely eliminate any possible loophole abuse from Sly's "if it's updated to allow trophies to unlock without doing the requirements then you'll get flagged." comment.

Edited by Rick_Sanchez
  • Like 1