1999 Mode + Scavenger hunt

EliteVega

Anyone beaten 1999 mode yet? From what I saw, if you die with no money left you get sent back to the main menu ending the game, enemies have more health and do more damage. I never done any of the highest difficulty modes in Bioshock, but I plan on trying Scavenger hunt.

Discuss and share your stories doing 1999 mode or Scavenger hunt. B)

(No spoilers please)

Tips and tricks are also welcome!

Edited by EliteVega
  • Like 1

First I played on normal for pure enjoyment, replaying now on easy for all collectibles and miscellaneous combat trophies. I'm using mlw collectibles guide online. It's amazing because it has a checklist and video for every collectible in order including kinetoscopes, telescopes, voxophones and infusions. I also bought the official guide which will be really helpful for my 1999 mode play through.

I got the plat yesterday and 1999 mode is the best mode to play in. It's not overly difficult, one or two tricky spots. Not using vending machines didn't make anything difficult really. One tip i would give is to upgrade the shield, make that a priority, then some health and some vigor/salts. Have fun with it, it's a blast :)

I'm about half way through, best thing to do is explore as much as you can to collect money, infusions and gear. follow a video guide for infusion locations, and focus on shield and salts upgrades. Also if you die just reload the checkpoint and try again, sometimes you have to do quite a bit but eventually you will get past it and it's better than loosing money because you'll need it to upgrade your weapons and vigors because it helps with big battles.

Got the Scavenger Hunt-trophy this morning, and had a blast doing so. Started playing on hard mode one week ago in about two hours, so in under one week I've completed the game twice.

My tactic was to upgrade salts at first and hope to God I could avoid as much damage as possible, standing behind corners and sniping my way to heaven, just waiting for Elizabeth to provide me with extra ammo. First salts, then shield.

I think I was very lucky with my gear, cuz I used Bucking Bronco + carbine like 95 % of the time, launching my foes mid-air, headshooting them, regaining salt 40 % of the kills thanks to one of my gears. Plus I had this gear which chained the Bronco-effect upon death to any enemies nearby. This also works awesome on them raven-boys and firemen.

I think I genuinly love Elizabeth. Truly. Madly. Deeply.

Edited by mats_med_t
  • Like 3

Doing 1999 mode + scavenger hunt made this game more fun then what already was.

This are my tips for it:

-if u have the pass code the game should give u 5 extra infusion so use those of course raise your health and shield and if u can put 2 on salts early.

- always search bodies garbage can luggage search every corner every room resorses is limited and since u cant buy from the dollar machinne this is a must dont half ass it.

-make sure that u are always ready for the next encounter.

The weapons u gotta use  and not to use  and the useful vigors and such.

The  cannon is your best friend upgrade it  when u have the chance this will kill enimes with 2 shots 1 in the head if use shock jocky.

sniper rifle should be ur second option. also the carbine. the other weapons are to weak even if u upgrade ill say shotgun but only if u have too.

Vigor u have to use is possession. this vigor will literally save ur life upgrade it save some money to buy the upgrade that lets u use less salt to use it. This  helps u with the heavies since when the vigor ends they kill themselves. 

us crow this will help get a better shot at them which will help u save ammo.

use shock jockey on the automatons turret, Washington, Abraham it would stop them from shooting or moving. Also u can use possesion but only use it if here are more enemies since u cant actually hit them that hard when they are posses.

gears

Ammo cap: when shooting, empty clips have a 40% chance of automatically filling without the need to reload.

bullet boon : increases clip size by 50%

fit as fiddle : when revived, Booker returns to life with full health.

last man standing: when very low on health, killing an enemy restore health.

hope this help this was the way i idid it of course i die but this  the best way u  can do it to survive, trust me.

-

Edited by XAnimeX
  • Like 4

hope this help this was the way i idid it of course i die but this the best way u can do it to survive, trust me.

Kudos, seems like a good tactic.

To be a little more thorough, this was mine:

Gear:

Hat

Storm - 3 for 1! Causes Devil's Kiss, Bucking Bronco and Shock Jockey effect to chain to nearby enemies upon death - Saved money not buying any of the upgrades. Saved a hell of a let of Salt, as well.

Extra! Extra! - Equipped this before picking up a Voxophone - 10 Silver Eagles a piece. Hat evidently only available through Collectors Edt.

Rising Bloodlust - Used this the last hour. Increased weapon damage after each kill - up to five. Lasts 10 seconds.

Shirt

Blood to Salt - This was a lifesaver... Enemies provided salt upon death 40% of the time. Ran never - litterally - never out of salt. As I couldn't buy any this was, in my opinion, crucial/essential/random adjective...

Pants

Head Master - Increases critical damage by 50%.

Boots

Tunnel vision - Aiming increases damage by 25%.

Handyman Nemesis - Switched boots rapidly whenever Handyman appeared, as this pair of boots would grant me an additional 50% damage inflicted to the Handyman.

You see what would happen here? I used Bucking Bronco on random foe, aimed for headshot (Aim-damage 25% + Critical hit-damage 50%) with my fully upgraded Carbine, foe dies, I regain my salt (Blood2Salt) and any foe nearby would be airborne (Storm). Repeat until Scavenger Hunt-trophy achieved!

Salt:

Bucking Bronco - No-brainer. Works on everyday-henchmen, Crows and firemen.

Possession - Awesome on motorized everything, either the Mosquito or a lot of the henchmen dies or are severly injured.

Murder of Crows - Possibly the only Salt effective against the Handyman?

Looted everything, all the time. Upgraded Carbine and Sniper Rifle to the max. Carbine just felt to give me most bang for my buck.

Edited by mats_med_t
  • Like 3

Wow good tips so far.  Man, the great thing about this game is that everyone has different methods that work. 

I'm in the middle of my 1st playthrough so far in 1999 mode and so far I exclusively use Possession, Sniper & Shotgun and I focused on maxing health out 1st, now almost have Salts maxed out (9) (Shield is still at 1)  Working for me so far although I have a ways to go so I might revise my statements.  I'm a few battles after the 1st Handyman right now. 

I use Shock Jockey on Crows and keep it casted every few seconds + Shotty to face to keep him in a constant spawned/non bird state until he dies.  Doesn't really take up too much salt from start to finish.  I think I cast it 3 times before I kill him.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the Songbird Edition, which came with DLC Codes, every time i pick up a recording I get coins, another gear item is when i melee an enemy he gets knocked down so this one helps out a lot, during the course of my run im gonna change some of these to the ones mentioned above, thank you everyone for your tips, and cant wait for this challenge! havent felt this excited for a difficult game since COD W@W, I dont count demon souls, since its not my cup of tea. 

Had such a difficult time with that damn Siren. Found it much harder than the final part that so many people complained about. Just upgraded charge, put salts to near max capacity and charged the f*ck outta everything including the patriots with a shotgun while undertowing those rpg guys off the edge. And I actually got it the 1st try. What annoyed me the most was that I thought I did not buy anything from the Dollar vending machines until it turned out I bought a salt in the very first vending machine you find in the game. Sigh.

Sniper rifle, handcannon and shotgun were my weapons of choice in 1999. Possession and Bronco for vigors. Undertow in airship enemies to get them quickly off-board and Shock against patriots to give time to get cover. Didn't miss the dollar bill machines much, except for ammo in some situations.

Siren was toughest part. In every siren fight i run front of it in beginning and blasted it with handcannon as fast i can, and used bronco for zombies it raised. Then i holed up some defensible place and tried to snipe the weakened siren. 

My upgrade priorities was shields and salt.

Now enjoying my 3 playthrough in normal difficulty. 

Just finished my playthrough of 1999 mode, without anything really upgraded I found the easiest way to deal with the Siren was to use return to sender during the first fight whilst blasting the Siren with a hand cannon, for the other fights I took a slower route and used shock + devils kiss to disintegrate the dead she resurrected (which meant they couldn't be re-resurrected) until only the Siren was left.

The end battle I found pretty difficult especially when dealing with the patriots, in the end my tactic was to sky-ride to the top deck and pull the patriots up to the top with undertow, then go back down and clear the deck. This seemed to work out well as the patriots can't use the sky-rail and come back down, so you can take your time before going back and killing them. Also meant I was able to cover the deck with vigor traps as a surprise for the next wave.

Now for my third play to find all the collectibles I missed!

• Like 4

Currently on my 1999 + no dollar bill macine run through. Upgraded shield, then salts and health. About halfwayish way through it. Stuck in the theatre where guys come out from behind the curtains and from boxes. I get past them then two mosquitoes always kill me because i used up all my salts and ammo before hands. Great game though. 

Anyone beaten 1999 mode yet? From what I saw, if you die with no money left you get sent back to the main menu ending the game, enemies have more health and do more damage. I never done any of the highest difficulty modes in Bioshock, but I plan on trying Scavenger hunt.

Discuss and share your stories doing 1999 mode or Scavenger hunt. B)

(No spoilers please)

Tips and tricks are also welcome!

Currently working on the 1999 mode. I didn't see this so I may of missed it, but when you die and have no money, you don't start at the beginning of the game again, but at the last auto save. So it's not a complete loss when you completely die.

• 3 weeks later...

Much easier than I thought.

Just recommend having the gear which gives you salt per 40% of kills. Upgrade Shotgun (or Hand Cannon) and Sniper at max.

For the Siren battles, use the Charge upgraded.

For the final battle, use Return to Sender to shield you and Undertow to wipe the enemies off the deck.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm about 3/4 through my 1999/Scavenger run. It's pretty tough in the beginning, but I was lucky enough to find some good gear about halfway through the game (Winter Shield, Sheltered Life, Urgent Care). Not being able to use Dollar Bill machines is fine... I didn't use them in my first playthrough anyway. Make sure you have a long-range weapon and a close-range weapon; the Carbine and Shotgun work well together. Another good combination is Sniper Rifle and Machine Gun (make sure to upgrade your Machine Gun's clip size ASAP).

Hopefully I can make it through the Siren fights okay. What I'm really dreading is the final fight where you have to protect the ship's generator from a huge onslaught of enemies.

• 1 month later...

gear is important , try and get gear that will help ur health . I managed towards the end of the game by getting a piece of gear that made me %25 invincible when jumping onto a skyline. But apart from that keep on moving and take ur time. Also only upgrade useful things. i upgraded the crow one (havnt played the game in ages) and alsoupgrade the machine gun as it is the most common

Croptyu.png

I beat it and it's such a ride. I believe it is the way to play Infinite. Of course, don't attempt it for your first time. A. You should enjoy your first playthrough on normal and B. you need the experience of playing it on normal.

It's such a ride and I can't wait to do it again.

1999 mode it's so easy I've gotten the plat twice now going for my 3rd one. . . I just don't spend money at all so I can save up for when I die. . . Or I just found out money glitch so you can do that multiple times so you won't have much trouble if you die and spawn back. . . But use the Gear that gives you full healt when you revived I recommend that one help me a lot. . .

Finally restarted the scavenger hunt trophy attempt.. It is going a lot more smoothly than it did on my first attempt.. Only about 3 hours in but falling in love with this game all over again.. I will be a very happy person once this trophy pops..

There were a couple of things that made 1999 relatively easy for me. I farmed gear mid-way through the game until I got a couple of key pieces. While farming, I picked up a good chuck of change and lockpicks. Key vigors I used were possession, charge, and return to sender (for the end-game fight). The other vigors I used as needed. I mostly used the shotgun and sniper rifle, fully upgraded. Whenever I died, 95% of the time, I reloaded the last checkpoint.