A game franchise you never got around to playing

Jens

On 4/24/2018 at 5:59 AM, Spaz said:

Metal Gear Solid - Another video game franchise from Japan. Even though Hideo Kojima has made some excellent work in the past few decades, having an entire series devoted to stealth is just not my cup of tea. I am older and a lot more patient than I used to be, so I can probably get through the games quite alright. The platinum trophies may be a different story.

MGS2's plat is hard, no doubt about it - I've yet to earn it myself.  MGS3's plat is easy.  Peace Walker is fairly easy, just time consuming.  MGS4 is pretty easy for the most part, with the only challenging part being the Big Boss run, and even that is quite manageable with some practice.  Can't comment on Phantom Pain or Metal Gear Rising as I've yet to play those.

As for game series I've never/barely played...

Call Of Duty (played a couple of levels of Modern Warfare, but that's it)

Dead Space (never got around to it and don't feel like doing so now)

Final Fantasy (never really appealed to me, plus they're extremely time consuming)

Gears Of War (never owned, or even played, an Xbox)

Guilty Gear (just never got around to trying it)

Halo (see Gears Of War)

Legend of Zelda (not my kind of game)

Max Payne (too busy playing GTA and RDR instead!)

Minecraft (not my kind of game)

Persona (was never really on my to-play list)

Ratchet & Clank (I downloaded the recent PS+ one, so I'll get to try that one at least)

Resident Evil (played some of Resi 1 & 4, but never got into the series)

Silent Hill (see Persona)

Spyro (see Persona)

Star Ocean (far too time consuming)

Yakuza (I have considered trying this series, just haven't done so yet. Maybe one day)

Final Fantasy, just to think about the soundtrack and the epicness makes me really really wonder about it. Then I tell myself that it's a JRPG and the feeling's gone. 

The only one I've played and LOVED was Crystal Chronicles. What a game and what a soundtrack

Monster Hunter. It's a franchise I've been thinking about getting into for a while, but the fact that a lot of the newer ones were 3DS exclusives deterred me since I don't own a 3DS. There are some older ones on the PSP that I could get my hands on, but I've yet to do that. I'll probably get into once Monster Hunter World is released on PC.

Legend of Zelda - Technically I have played a Zelda game before, Wind Waker, but I probably played about 10mins before I shut it off, I never really gave it a chance. TLOZ games have never really appealed to me, but I may pick up Breath of the Wild since I now have a Switch and it's the game everyone is telling me to buy, it does look amazing from what I've seen.

Metroid - Again, I have played one Metroid game which was Medriod Prime and, like Wind Waker, shut it off before I could gave it a chance. I remember the incredible hype surrounding Prime when it released and I bought in to it. 

Prince of Persia series (I intend to get around to the series this summer though and I already have the Forgotten Sands in my backlog.), Splinter Cell series, Ratchet and Clank series (Excluding the 2016 reboot which I enjoyed immensely.), Nier series (Same as Prince of Persia, will be buying them by late June or early July. Can't wait to get around to Nier and Nier Automata.), and Metal Gear Solid series (Excluding Ground Zeroes) are some of the prominent ones that I can recall of that. 

• 1 year later...

Dead Space

Lost Planet

Kingdom Hearts

The older Resident Evil’s

Final Fantasy

Metal Gear Solid

God of War

Devil May Cry

Dark Souls

Fallout

Plenty more on the PS3. I only started playing other games on the PS4, I was little and only played Assassin’s Creed and Call of Duty, I didn’t even acknowledge any other games, smh, I missed out on a lot.

Most of these are on PS4 but I have yet to play them.

Edited by LoveInHell

1. Dead Space 
  2. Deus Ex 
  3. God of War (Only tried the first one briefly, but promptly shelved it due to not enjoying it initially.)
  4. Nier 
  5. Parasite Eve (I'd like to ideally play the PS1 iterations on the Vita or PS3.)
  6. Prototype 
  7. Ratchet and Clank (Only played the 2016 reboot to entirety in the past, plus a brief amount of A Crack in Time and Secret Agent Clank on the PSP years ago.)
  8. Splinter Cell 
  9. Velocity trio (Ultra and 2X)
  10. Watch Dogs 

Just some series that I've always had a passing interest in, but never properly gave a chance in the past. I hope to remedy that in the coming years though. 

Edited by VoxAnimi

1. Gran Turismo - I would always like to try but I'm really not good at driving :(

2. Call of Duty - I have COD4 in my library but never tried it, not sure if it's more solo-ish like Resident Evil series or multiplayer cooperative

3. Metal Gear Solid - Have gotten the plat of MGS3 but cannot get the point of this series, complex and tedious survival system

Ones I wouldn’t mind playing:

Dragon Age (own the trilogy though)

Ratchet and Clank

Spyro

Devil May Cry

No interest:

Metal Gear Solid

Final Fantasy

Kingdom Hearts

Legend of Zelda

Resident Evil

Silent Hill

41 minutes ago, Astray404 said:

2. Call of Duty - I have COD4 in my library but never tried it, not sure if it's more solo-ish like Resident Evil series or multiplayer cooperative

It's both. One of the reasons why it was extremely popular at the time: amazing campaign and multiplayer.

- Elder Scrolls. I was always into the Gothic series and since Elder Scrolls looked like a more childish version of the gritty Gothic series I never got into it when I was younger. Nowadays I would not touch that series with a long stick unless it was free because it is so deeply connected with Bethesda, the company thats the most anti consumer by far, also people overhyping Skyrim for years turned me off as well given that everything I have seen from this game looked average.

- Fallout. Basically the same story, only difference is that the similar series I went to instead was S.T.A.L.K.E.R, and with Fallout 76 being the most epic fail in gaming history so far I doubt I will ever get into the series.

-Kingdom Hearts. I was always confused what this was even about, seemed like a weird mix between countless characters and even the people playing it seemed confused by it, so I never touched it.

- Assassins Creed. I actually bought the first game once it released on PC, but I could not get it to work properly, it always crashed even before I could leave the cave in the beginning, hours of trying to fix it with no success finally led to me bringing it back into the shop and getting my money back. I was salty ever since and never gave this series another chance, nor will I at this point because of how overblown it has become.

- Yakuza. I was interested in getting it once, but this series has too much of the absolute bonkers japanese stuff in it. Among the first material I saw from the series was a bunch of supposed gangsters running around in diapers, and other weird shit. For someone who has a limited tolerance for these things this was just an overdose, can't rule it out to touch the series at some point though because I got Yakuza Kiwami for free.

- Minecraft. Never interested me, simple as that. I am not really a creative person so any game that demands me to build my own entertainment from the ground up already has an uphill battle to get me interested.

- Fifa. I simply hate football, yeah I know thats weird for a German but for me this sport is pure boredom, the last football game I played was Nintendo World Cup, and that was ages ago.

- Halo. Always looked like a really boring vanilla shooter to me, and I had plenty of those already, also I associated it with XBox and never really was a fan of that console.

- Borderlands. Just never got around to it, but since the series was free on psplus and is therefore on my PS4 I might play it later down the line.

Edited by Nighcisama

I generally don’t play sports racing games, and fighting games mostly because I suck at them.

i would say NO to majority of the games that use random maps or rogue like elements, or loot/drop oriented. Played Diablo some time ago and would not touch that genre again.

rather selective on WRPG so Elder scroll and Fallout are the two big names I am missing.

Edited by Maverick6146

Yakuza - It looks like a series I'd totally get into. I do own Yakuza Kiwami so I might play it someday.

Nu Metal Gear - Loved the Solid series. Snake Eater was the last game in the MG series I've played. Hope to get back to them. (I have all of them on disk lol)

Metro - I own the Redux disk. Need to play.

Persona - I've played the original on the PS1 years ago. Want to try the newer series.

Dishonored - A game where I stealth kill or not kill people? Sign me up.

Edited by Jamescush147

My list will likely be the most "Do you even play videogames?" list in this thread ?

• Final Fantasy - only played FFX for about 20 minutes, the game kept getting stuck in a cutscene where you meet Auron. I think that's when my PS2 started dying. Never came back to it or start any other one. Although I want to play FF games from IV to X in the future.
  • Assassin's Creed - never played a single second.
  • The Elder Scrolls - never played a single second. All my friends at school played Oblivion, and all my friends at University played Skyrim, but I somehow avoided the series throughout these years.
  • Dark Souls and other souls-like games - never played a single second. My uni friends were very into it and still are, but not me.
  • Tom Clancy's anything. Never played a single second of any of the Spinter Cell, Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six, The Division, H.A.W.X or other games.
  • The Legend of Zelda - well, maybe I've played the very first one, but I don't remember, so it doesn't count. The reason is I've never had a Nintendo console.
  • Pokémon - same as Zelda, but in this case I also manged to avoid Pokémon Go. Some of my friends were into it, my sister still plays Go every day, but I haven't even tried it.
  • Devil May Cry - never played a single second.
  • God of War - never played a single second.
  • Lego games - never played a single second and never will.
  • Uncharted - ok, this one is weird, because I consider myself a Naughty Dog fan. I've played all of their Crash Bandicoot games, all their Jak & Daxter games (except Jak X) and The Last of Us. I'll surely play the remastered Uncharted trilogy when I get a PS4 after Sony gave it away for free. 

The last 3 are popular in Russia specifically:

• FIFA - I could post any other sports title, but I chose this one because everyone plays FIFA here. Even people who don't usually play videogames.
  • Heroes of Might and Magic - these games were also super popular here, especially Heroes III. I've played that one when I was a kid, didn't understand or like the turn-based system, never came back to it.
  • Warcraft - specifically the older strategy games, I think WoW wasn't as popular here as it still is in the rest of the world. Anyway, never touched any of them.
  • Like 1