(PS4) God of War - Cory Barlog confirms you can revisit places after the end

Ghost

Game director Cory Barlog confirmed we'll be able to revisit most places in the game when we finish. This is great if we ever miss out on that hard to find collectible.

Also, five new screenshots

Spoiler

bVd42Vy.jpg

C31VdSG.jpg

Y05s00P.jpg

KWU5xbE.jpg

0cz5I5R.jpg

Edited by Kratos

Can we please just go back to Greece?

That's good to know. I'm sure collectibles are out as they're "too video game-like" for this serious, adult, cinematic experience. But if I want to maybe paddle a boat around for a few extra hours bonding with an ugly kid, good to know I've got the option!

That's always nice to hear, especially when one needs to go and collect anything one may have missed before.  But I had a feeling that was the case, or something similar after hearing that the game was more open ended.  Gives you a chance to go and murder any optional boss you might have missed too xD

• Like 2

I'm getting Horizon Zero Dawn vibes from this game. 40 hour campaign? That's fucking unheard of for a God of War game.

I think we're in for the most different experience yet. Which, I'm all for. I loved all of the original God of Wars. I've platinumed every single one of them. But at the same time, I want a narrative that isn't just screaming at the sky, killing and banging.

Feels like we're getting a more mature experience.

44 minutes ago, Valyrious said:

I'm getting Horizon Zero Dawn vibes from this game. 40 hour campaign? That's fucking unheard of for a God of War game.

I think we're in for the most different experience yet. Which, I'm all for. I loved all of the original God of Wars. I've platinumed every single one of them. But at the same time, I want a narrative that isn't just screaming at the sky, killing and banging.

Feels like we're getting a more mature experience.

Doesn't sound like you want a God of War game. 

25 minutes ago, Valyrious said:

https://streamable.com/ex9zd 

Now this looks great.

I hope there's 200+ labors, and there's a trophy for getting them all.

Yeah... heaven forbid someone wants innovation.

So innovation is the same over the shoulder slow paced action game with The Last of Us vibes? I mean I agree God of War was getting really stale but is this any better? 

6 minutes ago, LunchCannon54 said:

So innovation is the same over the shoulder slow paced action game with The Last of Us vibes? I mean I agree God of War was getting really stale but is this any better? 

I think the combat looks super polished and exciting. Does 5 seconds of utilizing the kid to get through environmental obstacles really take away from the experience that much for you?

1 hour ago, Valyrious said:

https://streamable.com/ex9zd 

Now this looks great.

I hope there's 200+ labors, and there's a trophy for getting them all.

Thanks for posting this! No surprise, it was taken down.

Edited by Kratos

17 minutes ago, Valyrious said:

I think the combat looks super polished and exciting.

I don't think we watched the same gameplay. Polished, maybe, but I wouldn't call it exciting by any means especially compared to the previous ones. Sure, it was a simplified version of Devil May Cry combat but it was engaging and fun. The new one reminds me too much of Hellblade, which just comes off as a massive step-down in comparison. They chose to focus more on narrative than gameplay and it shows. That just isn't what God of War is.

There's also the fact that the violence seems toned down. I know super-violent isn't everything but that's been the staple of the series since the beginning. In the newest one enemies don't seem to bleed but rather have glowy insides for whatever reason and it looks like they spill out orange juice from their wounds. This whole thing just comes off as another game that just so happens to be titled God of War and the guy you're playing as just so happens to look like Kratos with a beard, but it lacks a lot of the things that actually make it God of War.

You may call it "innovative" and "mature", but I call it watered-down and boring. Some games can just be dumb fun and that's perfectly fine. Not every game needs to be the next The Last of Us.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Kratos said:

Thanks for posting this! No surprise, it was taken down.

Here's yet another mirror.

Will probably be deleted soon too. You can even see that the embargo lifts on Monday. So, yeah, this video shouldn't have leaked so soon lmao.

1 hour ago, Redgrave said:

I don't think we watched the same gameplay. Polished, maybe, but I wouldn't call it exciting by any means especially compared to the previous ones. Sure, it was a simplified version of Devil May Cry combat but it was engaging and fun. The new one reminds me too much of Hellblade, which just comes off as a massive step-down in comparison. They chose to focus more on narrative than gameplay and it shows. That just isn't what God of War is.

There's also the fact that the violence seems toned down. I know super-violent isn't everything but that's been the staple of the series since the beginning. In the newest one enemies don't seem to bleed but rather have glowy insides for whatever reason and it looks like they spill out orange juice from their wounds. This whole thing just comes off as another game that just so happens to be titled God of War and the guy you're playing as just so happens to look like Kratos with a beard, but it lacks a lot of the things that actually make it God of War.

You may call it "innovative" and "mature", but I call it watered-down and boring. Some games can just be dumb fun and that's perfectly fine. Not every game needs to be the next The Last of Us.

Not every game is trying to be The Last of Us. And I wouldn't even say it's trying to be. Like I said before, I think it's this year's Horizon Zero Dawn. 

Look around and tell me how many hack and slash games there are out there right now. Not many, right? They have to evolve too. There's nothing wrong with vintage God of War or old school Devil May Cry. In fact, that was HnS at its finest. But it's quite obvious that God of War is going in a different direction now. I'd definitely say it's not even a hack and slash anymore. I think it's more of an action game with a narrative. Which is gonna turn some people off, but for me, I always wanted more emphasis on narrative with God of War. 

Don't get me wrong, it's fun to slash enemies to pieces. But I like when there's method to the madness. Kratos was just a one trick pony that screamed vengeance and death. You don't have to like the new take. Go back to the PS3 and enjoy the classics. I know plenty of other people are extremely excited for this reimagining. Myself included.

• 1 month later...
On 3/17/2018 at 0:06 AM, Chingon_Player said:

No combos

No magic

No jump button

No brutal kills in QTE

No sex minigame (yes, GOW is not for kids)

This thing its not God of War. 1f629.png

In a game where Kratos’ main objective is to honor his dead wife...yeah, there’s not going to be a sex minigame. Check the moves list-most of the combos from old GoW games are present here. 

13 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

But his wife was dead in the other games too and that didn't stop him. :hmm:

Considering he's got a son that's still alive around this time, not surprised that he wouldn't want to give his son any reason to kill him over sleeping with a woman that isnt Faye. As I recall Kratos is trying to be a new man, so no sex minigames for you.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dakk55 said:

Considering he's got a son that's still alive around this time, not surprised that he wouldn't want to give his son any reason to kill him over sleeping with a woman that isnt Faye. As I recall Kratos is trying to be a new man, so no sex minigames for you.

I liked Kratos better when he didn't give a fuck about anything and killed anyone in his way. :P

• Like 1

On Saturday, March 17, 2018 at 0:54 AM, Undead Wolf said:

Can we revisit the previous God of War games and play those instead? :P

funniest comment to come back to after this amazing much better presented world of the nordic proved itself to be better than previous titles. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, shlomaniac said:

funniest comment to come back to after this amazing much better presented world of the nordic proved itself to be better than previous titles. 

In your opinion.

Some of us prefer God of War back when it wasn't a The Last of Us wannabe, lol. The gameplay has taken a big step backwards in favour of "muh MaTuRe cInEmAtiC E-X-P-E-R-I E-N-C-E". If you like how it did a total 180 and turned into a totally different game, then more power to you. I liked God of War back when it was God of War, though.

Edited by Undead Wolf