(PS4) God of War - Cory Barlog confirms you can revisit places after the end

Ghost

On 3/16/2018 at 8:43 PM, LunchCannon54 said:

So innovation is the same over the shoulder slow paced action game with The Last of Us vibes? I mean I agree God of War was getting really stale but is this any better? 

I didn't expect a change in combat, and they did modify that from the ground up, and I've been saying for years GoW has worked bc they haven't had to modify the engine too much.  But this game adds so much more to the universe  and change can be good. Yeah the enemies are a joke (even on the hardest difficulty) but the combat still has an impressive level of difficulty when multiple types of enemies are thrown at you. I don't hate em for changing the combat, we still have a damn good game with the classic Kratos epic QTE (easier QTE) in boss battles. I give it a solid 8.5/10. 

• Like 1

I don't get how this is a last of us wannabe. The only similarities is that you have a kid and it's over the shoulder camera. God of War is different, has an semi-open word, and in my opinion so much better in every aspect.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, Zach said:

I don't get how this is a last of us wannabe. The only similarities is that you have a kid and it's over the shoulder camera. God of War is different, has an semi-open word, and in my opinion so much better in every aspect.

Man, it is just like the Last of Us, especially the part where Joel throws an axe at a troll and is a Greek God.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

In your opinion.

Some of us prefer God of War back when it wasn't a The Last of Us wannabe, lol. The gameplay has taken a big step backwards in favour of "muh MaTuRe cInEmAtiC E-X-P-E-R-I E-N-C-E". If you like how it did a total 180 and turned into a totally different game, then more power to you. I liked God of War back when it was God of War, though.

It’s still very much God of War, the series needed to evolve and they did it well here. The fact that you’re Calling it “a Last of Us wannabe”  makes me think that you didn’t even play it, cause this game is brilliant. Although Last of Us is seen as one of the best games of all times so that’s more of a compliment than an insult anyways.

1 hour ago, Zach said:

People only say that cause they didn’t actully play it. Cause if they had they wouldn’t even say something so stupid.

Edited by DarkHpokinsn
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, DarkHpokinsn said:

It’s still very much God of War, the series needed to evolve and they did it well here. The fact that you’re Calling it “a Last of Us wannabe”  makes me think that you didn’t even play it, cause this game is brilliant.

In what way is it "very much" like the previous God of War games? The combat is totally different (a downgrade if you ask me) and Kratos had a personality swap, going so far as to change the voice actor. There is now much more emphasis on the story, which basically boils down to long periods of time where player control is taken away and you do nothing but walk & talk. Hell, you can't even jump until the game lets you. It's totally different from the old games and I don't see how anyone could dispute that. You're right, I haven't played the game, but it's obvious to see how The Last of Us influenced it. 

28 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

In what way is it "very much" like the previous God of War games? The combat is totally different (a downgrade if you ask me) and Kratos had a personality swap, going so far as to change the voice actor. There is now much more emphasis on the story, which basically boils down to long periods of time where player control is taken away and you do nothing but walk & talk. Hell, you can't even jump until the game lets you. It's totally different from the old games and I don't see how anyone could dispute that. You're right, I haven't played the game, but it's obvious to see how The Last of Us influenced it. 

The combat is better, it’s awesome actully.  They didn’t really change Kratos personality besides the fact that he’s a much older character that is regretful of his past Actions, which actully humanizes him more, so that he’s not just the angry asshole all the time. What long periods of time is control taken away? You shouldn’t be speaking in such specifics if you haven’t played it, cause you’re in control the whole time except for cutscenes. It is different because they are evolving the series, it needed the change after 7 games of more or less the same shit. A game series has to evolve to stay relevant. Yes Last of Us was an influence but it’s not at all like it’s a carbon copy. I would recommend playing it before judging cause the notations you have about it are all wrong.

Edited by DarkHpokinsn
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, DarkHpokinsn said:

The combat is better, it’s awesome actully. 

Having the camera zoomed in on Kratos' back really doesn't work well in a God of War game. The camera in the old games gave a good view of the whole battle, allowing you to see all the enemies on the screen at once so you could act accordingly. You could clearly see when an enemy was about to hit you. In the new God of War, enemies are quite often behind you out of sight, and ranged enemies can hit you off-screen. The developers try to work around this by giving you an indicator of when you're about to be hit from behind, so instead of looking at an enemy's animation to determine when it hits you, you're looking at an indicator instead. It's actually kind of beneficial to have your back to an enemy, lol. Does that sound better? :lol: Certain moves have cooldown timers now. Why? No doubt to give meaning to the tacked-on stat system the game has going on.

20 minutes ago, DarkHpokinsn said:

They didn’t really change Kratos personality besides the fact that he’s a much older character that is regretful of his past Actions, which actully humanizes him more, so that he’s not just the angry asshole all the time.

Translation: They didn't change his personality BUT they actually did.

Like what? :P

22 minutes ago, DarkHpokinsn said:

What long periods of time is control taken away? You shouldn’t be speaking in such specifics if you haven’t played it, cause you’re in control the whole time except for cutscenes.

I already told you where player control is taken away. There are extended periods of time where the game forces you to walk, or slows you down in some way so the characters can talk to each other. Very much like The Last of Us, wouldn't you say? ;) I dunno why you keep bringing up the fact that I haven't played it like that somehow invalidates what I'm saying. :P I've seen enough gameplay on YouTube to know what kind of game it is.

28 minutes ago, DarkHpokinsn said:

It is different because they are evolving the series, it needed the change after 7 games of more or less the same shit. A game series has to evolve to stay relevant. 

That's fine, but I'm free to criticise the new direction they've taken the series in if I feel like it's a downgrade. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

Having the camera zoomed in on Kratos' back really doesn't work well in a God of War game. The camera in the old games gave a good view of the whole battle, allowing you to see all the enemies on the screen at once so you could act accordingly. You could clearly see when an enemy was about to hit you. In the new God of War, enemies are quite often behind you out of sight, and ranged enemies can hit you off-screen. The developers try to work around this by giving you an indicator of when you're about to be hit from behind, so instead of looking at an enemy's animation to determine when it hits you, you're looking at an indicator instead. It's actually kind of beneficial to have your back to an enemy, lol. Does that sound better? :lol: Certain moves have cooldown timers now. Why? No doubt to give meaning to the tacked-on stat system the game has going on.

Translation: They didn't change his personality BUT they actually did.

Like what? :P

I already told you where player control is taken away. There are extended periods of time where the game forces you to walk, or slows you down in some way so the characters can talk to each other. Very much like The Last of Us, wouldn't you say? ;) I dunno why you keep bringing up the fact that I haven't played it like that somehow invalidates what I'm saying. :P I've seen enough gameplay on YouTube to know what kind of game it is.

That's fine, but I'm free to criticise the new direction they've taken the series in if I feel like it's a downgrade. 

For one, Atreus warns you when an enemy is about to attack you, whether you think so or not, the camera works in this game. As far as the character change, it’s called character development, how can you be this blind? lol are you serious? You’re being fucking nit picky about stupid shit, them forcing you to walk slow maybe happens 3 times if even that during the game and it’s during important character moments. The fact that you haven’t played it does in fact invalidate any criticism you may have because you have to actully play it to understand it, watching it is not the same. Doesn’t matter “what you feel” this is the best in the series and it needed to happen for this series to stay alive. Stop being fucking petty and judging it just off YouTube videos you’ve seen. 

Edited by DarkHpokinsn
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, DarkHpokinsn said:

For one, Atreus warns you when an enemy is about to attack you, whether you think so or not, the camera works in this game.

Yes, and do you know why he tells you when an enemy is about to attack you? Because due to the limitations of the camera, you probably won't see it coming. :P

7 minutes ago, DarkHpokinsn said:

As far as the character change, it’s called character development, how can you be this blind? lol are you serious?

You're the one who tried telling me his personality didn't change from the previous games, lol. I thought Kratos was fine the way he was. We don't need """deep""" character development in every game. Kratos is supposed to be the God of War, of course he was just some "angry asshole". :P

12 minutes ago, DarkHpokinsn said:

The fact that you haven’t played it does in fact invalidate any criticism you may have because you have to actully play it to understand it, watching it is not the same.

You can keep telling yourself that but it doesn't make it true. :lol:

1 minute ago, DarkHpokinsn said:

Stop being fucking petty and judging it just off YouTube videos you’ve seen. 

I'm the one being petty? My friend, it is you who is acting petty here just because I don't agree with you about the "brilliance" of this game. You can absolutely judge a game by watching it instead of playing it yourself. That's why reviews are a thing. :P

9 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

Yes, and do you know why he tells you when an enemy is about to attack you? Because due to the limitations of the camera, you probably won't see it coming. :P

You're the one who tried telling me his personality didn't change from the previous games, lol. I thought Kratos was fine the way he was. We don't need """deep""" character development in every game. Kratos is supposed to be the God of War, of course he was just some "angry asshole". :P

You can keep telling yourself that but it doesn't make it true. :lol:

I'm the one being petty? My friend, it is you who is acting petty here just because I don't agree with you about the "brilliance" of this game. You can absolutely judge a game by watching it instead of playing it yourself. That's why reviews are a thing. :P

The camera thing isn’t a negative, that’s the whole reason they have ways to Warn you when enemies are behind you. What are you talking about? I never said he didn’t change, stop putting words in my mouth. The deep character development is what was needed at this point in the franchise. Uh yes it is true, that you can’t judge a game just by looking at Reviews and gameplay videos. That’s ridiculous that you would even say something so stupid. You are being unbelievably nit picky. Never trust reviews over your own opinion (of which you can’t form an opinion on unless you experience it yourself. Watching it is not the same. That’s why it’s called a fucking video game. You stubborness is just baffling.

Edited by DarkHpokinsn

2 minutes ago, DarkHpokinsn said:

The camera thing isn’t a negative, that’s the whole reason they have ways to Warn you when enemies are behind you.

You're totally missing my point. If the camera zoomed out and gave you a good view of the battle like in the previous games, you wouldn't need an indicator or an NPC to tell you when to dodge, you would just look at the enemy telegraphing his move. That's a far superior way of doing it in a game like this and it takes more skill too.

4 minutes ago, DarkHpokinsn said:

What are you talking about? I never said he didn’t change, stop putting words in my mouth.

So what did you mean by this?

1 hour ago, DarkHpokinsn said:

They didn’t really change Kratos personality besides the fact that he’s a much older character that is regretful of his past Actions, which actully humanizes him more, so that he’s not just the angry asshole all the time.

7 minutes ago, DarkHpokinsn said:

Uh yes it is true, that you can’t judge a game just by looking at Reviews and gameplay videos. That’s ridiculous that you would even say something so stupid. You are being unbelievably nit picky. Never trust reviews over your own opinion (of which you can’t form an opinion on unless you experience it yourself. Watching it is not the same. That’s why it’s called a fucking video game. You stubborness is just baffling.

Oh, so you've never looked up a review or gameplay video for a game you were on the fence about buying to help you make a decision? I guess that's just "stupid", though, because clearly the only way to know if a game is good or not is by playing it yourself. You're totally right, it's IMPOSSIBLE to form a opinion on a game unless you physically have your hands on the controls. :giggle:

57 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

I mean to be fair he is kind of right on the review part. I've played several games and watched several movies that were reviewed exceptionally that I though weren't really all that. Then I've played/watched things that were reviewed poorly and rather enjoyed them.

You don't ever really know whether you like something or not unless you do it yourself, and not doing something over the words of someone else is kind of a bad life habit in all respect.

You may read something that reaffirms something that you thought would be bad, but *thinking* something is and something *being* aren't the same thing. You never really know without trying.

Just my 2 cents. You do you.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nazareth357 said:

I mean to be fair he is kind of right on the review part. I've played several games and watched several movies that were reviewed exceptionally that I though weren't really all that. Then I've played/watched things that were reviewed poorly and rather enjoyed them.

You don't ever really know whether you like something or not unless you do it yourself, and not doing something over the words of someone else is kind of a bad life habit in all respect.

You may read something that reaffirms something that you thought would be bad, but *thinking* something is and something *being* aren't the same thing. You never really know without trying.

Just my 2 cents. You do you.

I'm not saying take the reviewer's opinion as gospel, but it can be used in combination with other things you've watched or read about the game to form an opinion of your own. You can get a sense of a game and if it will appeal to you by researching it enough.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

You're totally missing my point. If the camera zoomed out and gave you a good view of the battle like in the previous games, you wouldn't need an indicator or an NPC to tell you when to dodge, you would just look at the enemy telegraphing his move. That's a far superior way of doing it in a game like this and it takes more skill too.

So what did you mean by this?

Oh, so you've never looked up a review or gameplay video for a game you were on the fence about buying to help you make a decision? I guess that's just "stupid", though, because clearly the only way to know if a game is good or not is by playing it yourself. You're totally right, it's IMPOSSIBLE to form a opinion on a game unless you physically have your hands on the controls. :giggle:

There’s plenty of skill involved in combat in this one I assure you. No, I don’t give reviews creedence these days, can’t trust em, but Ok then whatever, think what you will, I honestly don’t have the energy to argue about this anymore. Just know you’re missing out on a great game cause you can’t put the past in the past.

Edited by DarkHpokinsn
  • Like 2

It's hilarious that a known hater of the game that hasn't even played the game keeps posting about a game he has no intention of buying. (Probably until it gets cheap enough for him to afford, anyway).

Oh yeah, there's a secret ending after the credits roll for those who go back to their home.

• Like 2

On 30.4.2018 at 1:50 AM, Undead Wolf said:

Having the camera zoomed in on Kratos' back really doesn't work well in a God of War game

You must know since you haven‘t played it.

Seriously, you are free to criticise, but maybe after you tried the thing you try to hate so much?

Nobody will take anything you say as a serious argument when everybody knows you‘re just salty because you‘d like to be.

This is just childish. 

If you have no intention of buying it what are you tyring to do here then? Don‘t you got better things to do?

Edited by Schwifty Swifty

3 hours ago, Schwifty Swifty said:

You must know since you haven‘t played it.

Seriously, you are free to criticise, but maybe after you tried the thing you try to hate so much?

Nobody will take anything you say as a serious argument when everybody knows you‘re just salty because you‘d like to be.

This is just childish. 

If you have no intention of buying it what are you tyring to do here then? Don‘t you got better things to do?

Haha, and here's that "Well, you haven't played it, so how can you criticise it?" argument that literally makes no sense, but whatever. :lol:

I'm the salty one? It's you guys who seem salty to me just because I don't consider the game perfect. God forbid anyone point out the game's flaws, that just means I'm a hater! :giggle:

Oh, I'll get the game eventually. Maybe 2nd hand or years down the line when it's dirt cheap in a sale. I just have no intention of buying the game at full price. And even if I wasn't going to buy it, so what? I've played all of the God of War games prior to the newest one, and I'm absolutely allowed to voice my opinions if I don't like the direction the series went in. This is a forum meant for discussing video games, that's kind of the whole point. I'm getting some déjà vu right now, because I seem to remember that you got triggered when people were criticising Ratchet & Clank 2016 in a thread before. Let me ask, don't you have anything better to do than getting offended on the behalf of games? ;)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

Haha, and here's that "Well, you haven't played it, so how can you criticise it?" argument that literally makes no sense, but whatever. :lol:

I'm the salty one? It's you guys who seem salty to me just because I don't consider the game perfect. God forbid anyone point out the game's flaws, that just means I'm a hater! :giggle:

The basic bottomline for a discussion in my opinoin is that both parties know what they‘re talking about. And in your case it doesn‘t seem like you do. At least from my point of view.

What are you trying to accomplish in mocking me? I think we can all agree that you have to have at least tried a videogame if you want to argue with strangers about it. Otherwise you come across as an angry nerd who complains for the sake of complaining.

Actually I find it quite ridiculous what you‘re trying to do here. I‘d love to have a discussion about this game with someone who actually played it and doesn‘t consider it that good.

I honestly have a few gripes with the game too.

But to say „Camera is different, game is shit“ is not exactly what I call a discussion.

I can‘t speak for everybody else here, but I don‘t think that I act salty to you. I just have to cringe whenever I see such a clichè hater on the internet. You don‘t try to say anything and you don’t want to have a dialogue, you just want to piss off people, which is extremly childish as I have mentioned in my previous post.

If you have something of substance to say I‘d be down to talk to you.

3 minutes ago, Schwifty Swifty said:

The basic bottomline for a discussion in my opinoin is that both parties know what they‘re talking about. And in your case it doesn‘t seem like you do. At least from my point of view.

What have I said that has been undeniably false? Does the game not have a camera fixed to Kratos' back? Does the game not have extended periods of time where player control is taken away, forcing you to walk slow, etc, while dialogue is taking place? I can know about game mechanics and the like without having played it myself.

2 minutes ago, Schwifty Swifty said:

I honestly have a few gripes with the game too.

But to say „Camera is different, game is shit“ is not exactly what I call a discussion.

I never said the game was "shit", you're putting words into my mouth. I brought up my criticisms of the game, including the camera, but apparently people can't handle that and feel the need to go on the offensive.

12 minutes ago, Schwifty Swifty said:

You don‘t try to say anything and you don’t want to have a dialogue, you just want to piss off people, which is extremly childish as I have mentioned in my previous post.

If you actually read any of my posts, you'd understand what my thoughts were on the game and my reasons for doing so, but people still feel the need to throw insults at me simply because I have a different opinion. All I get is "You're stupid, this thing you don't like is awesome, your opinion is invalid". Oh, but clearly I'm the "childish" one. :facepalm:

• Like 1

On ‎05‎.‎05‎.‎2018 at 8:46 PM, Undead Wolf said:

Does the game not have extended periods of time where player control is taken away, forcing you to walk slow, etc, while dialogue is taking place? I can know about game mechanics and the like without having played it myself.

Actually no, it does not. You have some cutscenes, just like in former installments, but you never have to do the The Last of Us slow-walk sections.

I never said the game was "shit", you're putting words into my mouth. I brought up my criticisms of the game, including the camera, but apparently people can't handle that and feel the need to go on the offensive.

It's basically what people get from your attitude. You don't seem informed, so it seems that you wanna prove your own point, which suggests that you think the game is shit. You never said it was shit though, that I give you.

If you actually read any of my posts, you'd understand what my thoughts were on the game and my reasons for doing so, but people still feel the need to throw insults at me simply because I have a different opinion. All I get is "You're stupid, this thing you don't like is awesome, your opinion is invalid". Oh, but clearly I'm the "childish" one. :facepalm:

No, and I won't read through all your comments just as you won't play the game for now. Frustrating, isn't it? At least I read some of them.

"You're stupid, this thing you don't like is awesome, your opinion is invalid" Haven't I just told you that I don't think it's that awesome either?

I didn't insult you. But honestly, what did you expect coming in the thread like this? You act hostile, and 5 emojis per written line aren't going to change that.

Yes, to me you seem very childish. But you can call that stupidity or subjectivity, whatever let's you sleep at night. Because you won't see reason eitherway.

7 minutes ago, Schwifty Swifty said:

Actually no, it does not. You have some cutscenes, just like in former installments, but you never have to do the The Last of Us slow-walk sections.

Dude, I've seen gameplay where you do nothing but walk & talk and other things like that. At least the cutscenes in the previous God of War games were skippable, but the forced narrative sections in the new game are not.

1 minute ago, Schwifty Swifty said:

No, and I won't read through all your comments just as you won't play the game for now. Frustrating, isn't it? At least I read some of them.

"You're stupid, this thing you don't like is awesome, your opinion is invalid" Haven't I just told you that I don't think it's that awesome either?

I didn't insult you. But honestly, what did you expect coming in the thread like this? You act hostile, and 5 emojis per written line aren't going to change that.

Yes, to me you seem very childish. But you can call that stupidity or subjectivity, whatever let's you sleep at night. Because you won't see reason eitherway.

I don't really give a damn if you read through my posts or not, but when you say you're open to discussion and then skip over everything I said just to call me a "hater", it doesn't look good on you.

I'm not specifically talking about you, but this thread in general. I'm not being hostile in the slightest, I was merely reacting to the hostility by others because I thought it was quite funny how defensive people were getting about a video game, that by your own admission, isn't perfect.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Undead Wolf said:

Dude, I've seen gameplay where you do nothing but walk & talk and other things like that. At least the cutscenes in the previous God of War games were skippable, but the forced narrative sections in the new game are not.

Dude, I played the game and you can walk in your own pace all the time. Yeah they talk. Mindblowing, right? First game ever where the characters talk to one another. This had to stirr up drama, sorry, my bad.

2 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

I don't really give a damn if you read through my posts or not, but when you say you're open to discussion and then skip over everything I said just to call me a "hater", it doesn't look good on you.

I'm not specifically talking about you, but this thread in general. I'm not being hostile in the slightest, I was merely reacting to the hostility by others because I thought it was quite funny how defensive people were getting about a video game, that by your own admission, isn't perfect.

See, that right there tells me you get angry, which is a sign of frustration. I didn't skip over everything, I just don't want to read your mindless, uninformed mumblings about a game you haven't played. lol. I'm done here, there is nothing coming out of this.

Maybe next time point out what you don't like about a game and have the mercy to tell us why exactly. I was actually curious what you'd have to say about how you envisioned a new God of War game. But as I said much earlier, you don't want to have a dialogue. You just want to be childish.

1 minute ago, Schwifty Swifty said:

See, that right there tells me you get angry, which is a sign of frustration. I didn't skip over everything, I just don't want to read your mindless, uninformed mumblings about a game you haven't played. lol. I'm done here, there is nothing coming out of this.

Maybe next time point out what you don't like about a game and have the mercy to tell us why exactly. I was actually curious what you'd have to say about how you envisioned a new God of War game. But as I said much earlier, you don't want to have a dialogue. You just want to be childish.

I really don't care what you do no matter how many times you say I do, haha. :lol:

Funny, because that's exactly what I did, but you wouldn't know about that since you didn't read my posts where I discussed that, did you? Nice try, though. ;)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Undead Wolf said:

I really don't care what you do no matter how many times you say I do, haha. :lol:

Funny, because that's exactly what I did, but you wouldn't know about that since you didn't read my posts where I discussed that, did you? Nice try, though. ;)

Thanks ????:P^_^;)

On 30.4.2018 at 1:06 AM, Undead Wolf said:

There is now much more emphasis on the story, which basically boils down to long periods of time where player control is taken away and you do nothing but walk & talk.

That information is wrong, especially the part about "long periods". There are only some areas in the beginning, where Kratos is forced to walked and you have to listen to conversations.

Just keep playing the game... ?