If there was one language you dreamed of speaking, which would it be ?

Kale

19 hours ago, ObliviousSenpai said:

Why dream something you can start learning now.

because sometimes you just can't due to financial problems or just when you're too busy with other more important things like a job :)

3 hours ago, Kale said:

because sometimes you just can't due to financial problems or just when you're too busy with other more important things like a job :)

I think that's the mindset most people have that stops them from doing anything new. You can learn a language, at least on a basic level for free, so long as you have internet access and it seems everyone here does. This is also a gaming site, so I would expect that if someone was passionate enough to learn a language they have the option to divert some of their gaming funds and time to paying for and attending language lessons. I've had times where I either worked a full time job or attended full time classes and still made the time to study Japanese for at least 15 to 20 minutes every few days.

• Like 2

Seems like everyone here wants to learn Japanese!  I would too -  do know a few words and phrases already, but I'd like to be able to really learn the language fluently.  The problem, I suppose, would be that if I didn't know anyone else who also spoke it (and I don't), then my opportunities for engaging in a Japanese conversation would be extremely limited.

If not Japanese, then I might actually opt for Gaelic, seeing as I'm Scottish and my maternal grandmother was born in Scotland's Outer Hebrides and spoke Gaelic before she could speak English (Gaelic was the primary language in the Hebrides at the time, not English). So that might be a nice way to honour her memory.

I studied French for 6 years in high school and achieved the second highest grade in my speaking exam, but due to not really having the opportunity to speak French since leaving school, I've forgotten a great deal of it.  Hopefully one day I'll be able to earn that level of fluency again, whether it's with French or another language.

On 02/04/2018 at 0:59 AM, StewartBros said:

I studied French for 6 years in high school and achieved the second highest grade in my speaking exam, but due to not really having the opportunity to speak French since leaving school, I've forgotten a great deal of it.  Hopefully one day I'll be able to earn that level of fluency again, whether it's with French or another language.

I'm exactly the same. I left school with a good level of fluency with the French language but because I've rarely had cause to use it, 15 years later I can reel off the basics and that's it. The more I think about it, the more school seems like it was a waste of time outside of learning to read, write, count and use a computer. 

On topic. Cantonese. I've been learning the basics online for the past few weeks. My girlfriend is from Hong Kong and as far as she knows I don't speak a word of it, so the plan is to surprise her with it after giving her a cheesy romantic gift or after a date at some posh, snobby restaurant. Alternatively I could wait until we go to Hong Kong and let it slip by ordering a big mac in Cantonese at Mcdonalds. I feel like I've been given a superpower but I don't know how to use it. 

• Like 1

"Dreamed" is a pretty heavy word, but I took German courses in college (8-12 years ago) and tried at various stages to teach myself.  Just not enough functional application of it in my day to day life for the lessons to stick, or maybe my brain can only handle one langauge. xD

I have a lot of German-ness flowing through my blood, figured I'd try and sound the part at least.

Edited by Dreakon13

I'll go with the most popular option as well, Japanese... totally unrelated to the influence of video games and anime in my daily life lol

Second would be Russian or German because I just love how they sound even though I don't understand a single thing.

As a side note, you could probably learn any language you devote a passion on. For example, I learned English at an early age by playing video games and just by checking and reading stuff on the internet. Formal education sucks in my country so we aren't teach anything deep beyond the most basic stuff you can imagine even well into college. So, I could say my English is almost completely self-taught.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Japanese for sure, I already tried to learn it twice but everytime I start learning kanji I get totaly disencouraged by the sheer amount of characters and then I stop. Having to learn a few thousand of characters is just a lifelong task which takes way to much time imo, if it would have a small alphabet like for english or french I would learn it lol. I speak german and I did learn dutch and french, but I do not really like these languages, just had to learn them cause I was forced too which makes it less fun to learn a language. 

Edited by Afura_33