Bringing 'Em Back from the Dead - The Gonespy Thread...

ProfBambam55

One of my all time favorite games was lost in the great GameSpy debacle, Gotham City Impostors. I highly doubt this would work for it though seeing as how it was digital only and not available anymore. Not to mention, if I had a PC capable of this I could just play the PC version which is still online =/ 

It sure is fun to think about though lol.

• Like 4

update...i've followed the instructions laid out in the link in the op and seem to have gonespy up and running...i also have bulletstorm installed on 2 ps3s...i'm busy with the kids for a bit but will test this out later tonight after they go to bed...so far so good...pretty simple process...

my only note would be with regards to the instructions under

maradns/dead wood instructions > download & configuration > "Create a text file named "gamespydns.txt" in the same folder...etc."

you do not need to name the file gamespydns.txt if you have already specified that it is a text file...just name it gamespydns...it may be obvious to some but i was mindlessly following the instructions and couldn't get maradns to work until i realized that i had overlooked this point...

the other thing i was hesitant about was in the deadwood instructions...one of the command prompt files has...

bind_address = "192.168.2.37

recursive_acl = "192.168.2.37/24"

...i wasn't sure if i should sub in my dns address with the /24 or omit the /24...i left it and it seemed to have worked out fine...not sure if this is the case with all dns adresses so am mentioning it here...

also just a quick note, there's a simple way to set up windows so that you can easily open any folder with a command prompt as an admin...not sure if it's common knowledge or not but it saved me some time doing this with shift + right-click...to set it up:

open notepad and insert the following text:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas]
@="Open Command Window Here as Administrator"
"Icon"="C:\\Windows\\System32\\imageres.dll,-78"
[-HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas\command]
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\runas\command]
@="cmd.exe /s /k pushd \"%V\""

now save this as AddToOpenAsAdmin.reg...to apply this change, run the AddToOpenAsAdmin.reg file...you'll now have the "open command prompt here as an administrator" option when you shift + right-click on a folder...

hope it helps...will update again tomorrow as i'll be busy helping a group with their doomsday mastermind challenges tonight after testing this out...

Edited by ProfBambam55
  • Like 3

Hey chaps. I'm happy to pop in here periodically and help with any issues if I can, at least until there is a more official place for Gonespy discussion

you do not need to name the file gamespydns.txt if you have already specified that it is a text file...just name it gamespydns

Good point. I always have my PC with file extensions showing so I neglected this

i wasn't sure if i should sub in my dns address with the /24 or omit the /24

You should leave the /24

there's a simple way to set up windows so that you can easily open any folder with a command prompt as an admin

Nice work, that's a helpful shortcut. I have Windows Powershell installed which also has a feature like this. I deliberately omitted any fancy stuff like this from the guide to minimize the amount of extra instructions/setup involved

• Like 1

omfg i finally got this to work...i can confirm that not only does this work for bulletstorm it also works for 50 cent blood on the sand!!!...f**king awesome...just want to say a big thanks to @NeM2k2 for not only helping me sort out some issues i was having earlier but for creating and sharing this with the community...bloody brilliant...

i plan on recording some footage of both games at some point and uploading them when i get a chance...if anyone wants to play either game, feel free to hit me up here...

Edited by ProfBambam55
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, NeM2k2 said:

Nice!! Glad you got it working :)

Also, someone has proof it works for Ranked wins in Unreal Tournament 3 - 

Nice...added unreal to the list in op...

would anyone be interested in trying to meet up/co-op bulletstorm or 50 cent?...not sure if 50 cent needs to be jpn version to meet up...only this version has trophies...i have the jpn one...

Edited by ProfBambam55

The three games that have been confirmed all have the Unreal Engine 3 as their engine. I don't know if that is why they all run simply because of the Bulletstorm client. But in that case, it means that these particular games can be tested with Gonespy if anyone has the games: Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe, Mortal Kombat 9 (Vita), Section 8, Section 8 Prejudice however with some of these games matchmaking is definitely required and if Gonespy hasn't compensated for that yet then the platinums won't be obtainable. The only confirmed platinum that would be obtainable with Gonespy is Unreal Tournament 3 so far, it seems. But someone really has to do an insane test to see if doing 200 challenges within the same lobby would unlock the trophy for Bulletstorm. I don't know if @NeM2k2 wants to test that with someone, but does anyone know how long 200 challenges even takes for the game?

Edited by Sergen

14 minutes ago, Sergen said:

Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe, Mortal Kombat 9 (Vita), Section 8, Section 8 Prejudice however with some of these games matchmaking is definitely required and if Gonespy hasn't compensated for that yet then the platinums won't be obtainable. But someone really has to do an insane test to see if doing 200 challenges within the same lobby would unlock the trophy for Bulletstorm. I don't know if @NeM2k2 wants to test that with someone, but does anyone know how long 200 challenges even takes for the game?

i'll add these games to the list of potentials and see if i can pick any of them up next time i'm at the local game store...i'd also like to add ghostbusters : the video game as i think it might also meet the requirements...i'm going to hold off on acquiring vita titles for now as i don't own one and have no intention of getting one but would welcome and appreciate anyone who would like to test them out...

i think it's safe to say that if the servers were powered by gamespy and had peer-to-peer matchmaking, meaning basically an option to invite friends, then gonespy will in fact work in accessing the original mp content...now, it's up to seeing if and how the saving process works...i.e. save file vs server saved stats...and to see if save file stats register while using gonespy and if so whether or not they will affect unlocking trophies...

i'm all for trying out the 200 challenges...i'll look up a trophy guide for requirements and see what i can come up with for results...might take me a couple days/weeks as i'm like the busiest person i know...family, business, etc...

also, just to add to my earlier failures when trying to set up gonespy on my pc...there are a couple notes i'd like to make which i'm not sure are relevant or not...

• the first is that i was unable to run gonespy on my pc when it was connected to my home network wirelessly...i switched to another pc with a wired connection and it worked fine...important detail that your pc must have a wired connection?...i don't know...
  • second, i was not able to connect to gonespy until i completely deactivated windows (defender) firewall...@NeM2k2 has sent me instructions on allowing gonespy through the firewall program so i will post an update when i and if i can figure out how this works...it's kind of tricky since my main ps is in japanese and my kanji reading is not the best...made it this far using it so i should be ok but one never knows...
  • a third note is with regards to IP address values...when you are looking at your internet connection settings on your pc you will get several values...on mine they are displayed as IPv4 address and IPv4 DNS servers...the value we want to use when making changes to the files specified in the op-linked instructions and as the primary dns on our ps3 network connection settings is in fact the IPv4 address one...might be obvious to some but it wasn't that obvious to me so am mentioning it...
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, LoStraniero91 said:

I think this will suffice for now.

https://github.com/gonespy/bstormps3/issues/1

$hit, well done...do you mind if i duplicate your info here in the op?...the more who come across it the better in my mind...

also do you want to try out 50 cent together?...i have like an hour free now...

Edited by ProfBambam55

@Sergen thought of this, and I'm starting to believe it:

All of the games that have worked so far have been on the Unreal Engine. Both confirmed non-workers (MCLA and FEAR 2) have not been on that engine, whilst the three resurrected are all on it. Maybe that's why this is not working for FEAR 2/MCLA? The coding might need changing to allow for non Unreal engine games?

Should be interesting to see the result for Section 8 as that is on the Unreal engine.

EDIT: just seen he already posted this, my bad. I'll keep it here anyway in support of the theory.

Edited by Potent_Delusions
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, LoStraniero91 said:

Yes please for 50 Cent (JP version, though)!

If you want to copy that list, let me be able to edit when needed.

i'll send you a fr in a sec...i wish i could give you editing rights to the op but i don't think i can...best i can do is keep an eye on the thread you linked above and post updates here...f**k...

Edited by ProfBambam55

i'm trying to got this work, but PS3 doesn't connect to my PC. I've:

- Setting Mara correctly on my C folder. (and the prompt is working)

- Setting Deadwood correctly inside the Mara folder on C folder (and the prompt is working)

When i start the bullestorm.jar on CMD, it runs correctly and says to me that it's listenings to the ports 27900 (UDP) and 29901.

I've set a Static IP on my PC and on PS3 (so everything ready, according to the gonespy roadmap), but, as i said, when i try to connect the PS3 to my PC's IP/DNS, the PS3 doesn't do that and i only got the DNS error message. But, if i put the default setting again (so the DNS is the one of my router [Technicolor TG582n]), the PS3 goes online freely.

Even setting the IP of PS3 as a DMZ (so ignoring the Firewall's Modem and the NAT Rules) and opening the doors on my router (although my NAT continues to remain NAT 2, but i haven't the optic fiber, so this isn't strange) doesn't resolve the problem.

Can you help me?

@ProfBambam55 and me tried Bulletstorm with GoneSpy! It works, but the problem is that you can't retrieve some stats, especially the challenges.
We should test if those challenges are tied to the savegame (possibily by resigning my complete savegame on a secondary account and complete one challenge).
So far, so good!

Edited by LoStraniero91
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, APCGrayLocked said:

i'm trying to got this work, but PS3 doesn't connect to my PC. I've:

- Setting Mara correctly on my C folder. (and the prompt is working)

- Setting Deadwood correctly inside the Mara folder on C folder (and the prompt is working)

When i start the bullestorm.jar on CMD, it runs correctly and says to me that it's listenings to the ports 27900 (UDP) and 29901.

I've set a Static IP on my PC and on PS3 (so everything ready, according to the gonespy roadmap), but, as i said, when i try to connect the PS3 to my PC's IP/DNS, the PS3 doesn't do that and i only got the DNS error message. But, if i put the default setting again (so the DNS is the one of my router [Technicolor TG582n]), the PS3 goes online freely.

Even setting the IP of PS3 as a DMZ (so ignoring the Firewall's Modem and the NAT Rules) and opening the doors on my router (although my NAT continues to remain NAT 2, but i haven't the optic fiber, so this isn't strange) doesn't resolve the problem.

Can you help me?

I seem to be having the same exact problem, even tried from my brothers PC and my other console, same results.

Going to try via wired and see if that makes a difference, really wanna get this UT3 working so get online champion lol.

If anyone else is running and got it working, does everything look correct in this screenshot?

6cseHfI.png

Edited by Sellers