Bringing 'Em Back from the Dead - The Gonespy Thread...

ProfBambam55

On 3/29/2018 at 0:07 PM, APCGrayLocked said:

discuss this with @NeM2k2, demonviper666.

---

EDIT: it seems that even Superstars V8: Next Challenge uses GameSpy (according to this topic):

https://www.hwupgrade.it/forum/showthread.php?t=2441931

the topic is 6 years old, but the guy says, in pills, that the gamespy site, says that the multiplayer of Superstars V8 NC have 2 players active, and Gamespy doesn't allow the guy and his buddy to send private messages.

Anyone have Superstars V8 Next Challenge, so that can test if the ranked matches can work with GoneSpy? If i find the game, i will buy it and test it myself but until then. Anyone?

Does cellfactor  work it's still on na store for 5 dallors.    And superstars next is on uk Amazon for 11 pond 

A little Gonespy status update - I have spent the last week or two trying to get FEAR 2 working, after being donated a copy of the game by an eager fan.

I've hit a dead end, because FEAR 2 uses an additional Gamespy authentication that I cannot replicate in Gonespy. I am missing an encryption private key (RSA 1024 bit). Without that key, I fear many games with leaderboards/ranked matchmaking may not be able to be revived.

Edited by NeM2k2

33 minutes ago, NeM2k2 said:

A little Gonespy status update - I have spent the last week or two trying to get FEAR 2 working, after being donated a copy of the game by an eager fan.

I've hit a dead end, because FEAR 2 uses an additional Gamespy authentication that I cannot replicate in Gonespy. I am missing an encryption private key (RSA 1024 bit). Without that key, I fear many games with leaderboards/ranked matchmaking may not be able to be revived.

Dam.     How about homefront. Any chance of it working. 

3 hours ago, NeM2k2 said:

I am missing an encryption private key

Sorry @NeM2k2, extremely ignorant to the networking side of things. Is this something that can be over come with like a key-gen or is this a proprietary key that only they had? Can you explain it like I'm five?

1 hour ago, Afro_Gear said:

Sorry @NeM2k2, extremely ignorant to the networking side of things. Is this something that can be over come with like a key-gen or is this a proprietary key that only they had? Can you explain it like I'm five?

It is a key only GameSpy would have had

Cracking a single key is not possible without hundreds/thousands of computers working together, and it takes years.

Noone has cracked a 1024 bit key yet, highest is 768 bit

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/RSA_(cryptosystem)

• Like 1

Gutted! So ideally we need an insider who would still be able to get their hands on such a key, and the chances of that are slim-to-none?

Presumably it can't be replicated by having a 'dummy' key, or bypassed?

Edited by iXanon

11 hours ago, demonviper666 said:

How about homefront? Any chance of it working?

gonespy works for Homefront, yes BUT not sure if there is an in game friend invite option or if matchmaking is done from joining a list of public lobbies...someone is testing it out now...will update when I get word back from them... 

8 hours ago, Afro_Gear said:

Is this something that can be over come with like a key-gen or is this a proprietary key that only they had? Can you explain it like I'm five?

think of it as trying to crack someone's password but it's 128 characters long...and not just letters and numbers...pretty much any character that a computer uses is fair game and could be from any language (although I assume Roman characters were used for Gonespy)...there are a tonne of possible combinations... 

Edited by ProfBambam55
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ProfBambam55 said:

gonespy works for Homefront, yes BUT not sure if there is an in game friend invite option or if matchmaking is done from joining a list of public lobbies...someone is testing it out now...will update when I get word back from them... 

think of it as trying to crack someone's password but it's 128 characters long...and not just letters and numbers...pretty much any character that a computer uses is fair game and could be from any language (although I assume Roman characters were used for Gonespy)...there are a tonne of possible combinations... 

I hope it done.  It's has private match I think.   

5 hours ago, ProfBambam55 said:

The game's private match feature has been working even though the servers were closed, but none of the online trophies are obtainable through it. You do need the ranked server to play Homefront online, I think you could invite people to your squad but you would also need to search for a lobby to find other people online, which would require matchmaking. 

46 minutes ago, TazDevilz1986 said:

This game might work also: https://psnprofiles.com/trophies/1411-mud

BTW i suggested this earlier. But just a heads up.

added to op, yes...do you own the game?...and do you own a windows pc?...you might consider trying it out if both answers yes...if not, it could be a while before anyone looks into it...i'm currently waiting for my 2nd copy of 50 cent to arrive...should be any day now and is the next game up on my test list...i work long hours daily but fully intend to eventually take the list of games to my local game shop to see what I can pick up...busy, so time to do this is ultra rare on my end...not enough hours in a day...

Edited by ProfBambam55

Sadly WRC 2 does not work. I suspect it's probably relating to similar issues encountered with FEAR 2.

GoneSpy shows the following activity:

https://ibb.co/iDu4Px

Sadly the game reports:

Cannot authenticate your PlayStation(R)Network account. Please contact support.

Edited by iXanon

3 hours ago, iXanon said:

Sadly WRC 2 does not work. I suspect it's probably relating to similar issues encountered with FEAR 2.

GoneSpy shows the following activity:

https://ibb.co/iDu4Px

Sadly the game reports:

Cannot authenticate your PlayStation(R)Network account. Please contact support.

If the Gonespy activity shows two AuthService lines together when you try to access multiplayer/ranked, then that is probably the same as the FEAR 2 issue

1 hour ago, Potent_Delusions said:

Is this confirmed? Are we sure that the person who tested it didn't just click on private match and indeed did get into the actual online server?

no idea...i'm just going off of a pm...i know nothing about the game...i asked if there was an invite option but no confirmation yet...the person said they would have a 2nd copy of the game shortly (tomorrow perhaps) and that "multiplayer works...searching for online games not working...setting up a game is working"...all I got...will update status when I hear back from them...and also whether or not online trophies can be earned...

Edited by ProfBambam55

1 hour ago, ProfBambam55 said:

no idea...i'm just going off of a pm...i know nothing about the game...i asked if there was an invite option but no confirmation yet...the person said they would have a 2nd copy of the game shortly (tomorrow perhaps) and that "multiplayer works...searching for online games not working...setting up a game is working"...all I got...will update status when I hear back from them...and also whether or not online trophies can be earned...

Mhmm, Ok, promising. I hope they didn't base this off of getting into a private match because that always worked, that seems to not need any 3rd party software whatsoever as it always worked even after the shutdown. If they did get into the actual online then that is very exciting.

a8E3PG4.png

As you can see from the picture above: no invite option in lobbies, this game definitely used matchmaking as I remember you had to party up with your friends and then search as a party. This means that this game won't be obtainable YET at this stage until the matchmaking side of things is sorted out.

I played this game a lot back in 2011 and absolutely loved it, here are some key things I remember from it:

• Matches started as merely 2 players I believe, which is surprising since they were 32 player lobbies so you'd expect it to be a lot higher. If it wasn't 2, it was definitely 4.
  • As i've said...no invite option unfortunately, it was very matchmaking based.

Here's the really positive point though:

• I do believe ALL of the stats in this game were saved on the save file (seems to be a recurring theme with Gamespy games). There used to be a glitch on the game where your rank shot up from below 50 all the way up to 75 thus voiding the ran 50 trophy, and the only way to remedy this was to delete your save file which reset your rank. 
    Also, people who lost their save files had their challenge progress reset and so this would elude to the fact that both rank and challenges were stored on the save file.