Bringing 'Em Back from the Dead - The Gonespy Thread...

ProfBambam55

3 minutes ago, TazDevilz1986 said:

What about MUD Fim Motorcross and SBK.

MUD FIM possibly, but most of the SBKs no. Most of the SBK games other than SBK 08 had trophies for downloading ghosts from the LBs etc which wouldn't currently work. They also relied on matchmaking which currently doesn't work either.

Edited by Potent_Delusions
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sellers said:

I seem to be having the same exact problem, even tried from my brothers PC and my other console, same results.

Going to try via wired and see if that makes a difference, really wanna get this UT3 working so get online champion lol.

If anyone else is running and got it working, does everything look correct in this screenshot?

6cseHfI.png

I had the same issue...and yes, everything looks good...go wired on both ps3 and pc and let us know how it goes plz...going wired with both allowed me to connect...i'm guessing it's an important point in getting gonespy to work... 

If you can't connect even once both wired try disabling your firewalls to see if maybe that is the issue...disabling firewalls not recommended for extensive periods so if that turns out to be the issue you'll have one more little task before you're all set up...i.e. opening necessary ports/allowing gonespy access in firewall software...

to add to how gonespy works here...this wasn't clear to me at first but it seems to be able to connect to other players there needs to be some kind of invite option, the players who are looking to player together need to be on each other friends list and all parties must be running gonespy to be able to successfully connect...

that being said, i wonder if there is some way that we could connect to the same "server"...i would appreciate the input of all you technological geniuses out there on this one...does anyone have an ideas if we could manipulate the dns values so that it would allow us to connect to each other in games like 50 cent, where co-op is possible and enabled by gonespy but where there is no specific invite option...it lists a game of active lobbies that you can join which remained empty when we tested it earlier...i'm thinking that if i connected both of my consoles to gonespy (the ip address would be the same) the lobby would show my second console as an active joinable lobby since we are technically on the same server...i'm ordering a 2nd copy of 50 cent to test it out...does anyone have any thoughts on this and whether or not it or other options might work for players across the city/country/world/etc?...

i forgot to mention that for the bulletstorm 200 challenges it remains to be tested still...when i looked at the statistics page in my stats it simply showed "loading..." meaning it's possible that the stats are tied to the old servers, meaning not attainable...we'll see...i'll test it out later this week as i'm in the middle of helping a group with the criminal mastermind challenge...i would appreciate if someone could help me with the 200 challenges...volunteers?...

Edited by ProfBambam55

i forgot to mention that i have ethernet cables everywhere (only for the cellphone and psvita i use the wireless connection), but still, no connection between ps3 and pc (ps3 goes online only if i put the modem's ip. if i put the pc's static ip, ps3 don't go online). Although, my pc and my ps3 are not directly connected to the router. They're connected to an ethernet switch (this: https://images.ges.cz/images/pictures/8/8804814.jpg) that is connected to the router (my router is located on the hallway of my house).

41 minutes ago, Potent_Delusions said:

Nice, thanks... 

1 hour ago, APCGrayLocked said:

i forgot to mention that i have ethernet cables everywhere (only for the cellphone and psvita i use the wireless connection), but still, no connection between ps3 and pc (ps3 goes online only if i put the modem's ip. if i put the pc's static ip, ps3 don't go online). Although, my pc and my ps3 are not directly connected to the router. They're connected to an ethernet switch (this: https://images.ges.cz/images/pictures/8/8804814.jpg) that is connected to the router (my router is located on the hallway of my house).

I don't know much about technology but I would suggest connecting directly to your router with pc and ps3 and seeing if that works...again try disabling firewall as well if not working first time around...if no good then you know your issue is elsewhere... 

• Like 1

I would like to give some game names if you guys can try them out:

SBK Generations (Gamespy shutdown)

MUD PS3 (Gamespy shutdown)

MUD VITA? (Gamespy shutdown)

WRC FIA World Rally Championship (Milestone not paying for the server)

WRC 2 (Milestone not paying for the server)

Edited by TazDevilz1986

Do you have to go through a set-up process each time you intend to play one of these revived games?

For UT3 I have a few questions;

1. If someone has a Gonespy server up and running, do I have to go through a process aside from changing my PS3 DNS?

2. Do stats save?

3. How long is the UT3 boost?

4. Can PS3s from different IPs connect, or do I need to have multiple PS3s on one network?

I think that's all the questions I have for now.

2 hours ago, ProfBambam55 said:

i would appreciate if someone could help me with the 200 challenges...volunteers?...

I'm keen to give this a go, it will take a while though and might be tricky due to our differing timezones.

BTW I don't think connecting to the same Gonespy server will help - there's nothing in the code atm to link up people. It would only work if there's inviting via PS3's system. If the game had a LAN mode you could try xgaikai or whatever the thing is to make the two PS3s appear on the same LAN

35 minutes ago, TazDevilz1986 said:

I would like to give some game names if you guys can try them out:

SBK Generations (Gamespy shutdown)

MUD PS3 (Gamespy shutdown)

MUD VITA? (Gamespy shutdown)

WRC FIA World Rally Championship (Milestone not paying for the server)

WRC 2 (Milestone not paying for the server)

WRC: https://psnprofiles.com/trophy/614-wrc-fia-world-rally-championship/25-the-haunted-net    This trophy means Gonespy won't help in its current state.

WRC 2: https://psnprofiles.com/trophy/1099-wrc-2/18-ghost-hunters  Same consequence as above

So no one need check these titles. They are screwed until someone finds a way to make a server for these or whatever it entails.

@NeM2k2 managed to work our way up to 43 challenges today in a brief session that we'll most likely pick up later this week or next weekend...so still a bit away from seeing if 200 challenge trophy will ding on our end...

just a quick note about people opening firewall ports...the value 53 needs to be included in both the tcp and udp port settings on top of those outlined in the OP linked guide...i'm tired and can't express myself clearly...i'll add details tomorrow as this seems ambiguous right now... 

Edited by ProfBambam55

54 minutes ago, LoStraniero91 said:

I see Ghostbusters in the list, Ghostbusters is Quazal, not GameSpy.

I know @NeM2k2 wants to eventually make a personal project out of bringing Ghostbusters back, but I can't say how someone would go about doing that. Since Gonespy is still new and the discussion over it has only just been revived, I think maybe people are requesting these games to come back or have an effort made to bring them back. I think once matchmaking could be fixed for a game, maybe more games even from other companies will be coming back because I'd imagine if he knows how to do it for one game, he'd know how to do it for most games. But it's great work that people have been doing here to help restore hope, I have to say thank you @LoStraniero91 for going out of your way to test some games out, even though you also have the platinum for some of them already, a lot of people wouldn't be making an effort to help people know if games were obtainable again if they had already done the game before. I hope this is the beginning of the full Gamespy server revival, I know every game can't be made obtainable again but for something like FEAR 2 to come back would be incredible. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LoStraniero91 said:

I see Ghostbusters in the list, Ghostbusters is Quazal, not GameSpy.

Darn, I saw it in the closure lists for Gamespy. Might not be able to do that one then.

1 hour ago, ProfBambam55 said:

@NeM2k2 managed to work our way up to 43 challenges today [in Bulletstorm...] seeing if 200 challenge will dung on our end...

just a quick note about people opening firewall ports...the value 53 needs to be included in both the tcp and udp port settings on top of those outlined in the OP linked guide

Fun playing with you Prof :) I updated the Gonespy instructions to include the DNS ports.

• Like 1

i've tried to connect PS3 and PC directly to the modem, but nothing changes. Even opening the windows firewall doors (as writed on the guide) doesn't change something.

Guys, do you believe that this is linked to my internet connection (7mb in download and 500kb in upload [yes in Italy we have shitty connections])?

Edited by APCGrayLocked

6 hours ago, NeM2k2 said:

Darn, I saw it in the closure lists for Gamespy. Might not be able to do that one then.

Fun playing with you Prof :) I updated the Gonespy instructions to include the DNS ports.

I'll see if I can find a copy of Ghostbusters anyhow...i'm actually planning on just bringing the list of untested games to the local game shop, it's a real gem, and seeing what i can pick up when I get a bit of free time so keep them requests incoming...

agreed...was a lot of fun...thanks for updating ports...saves me from rambling on here...

and haha, I wrote dung...corrected...was tired when I posted last night/this morning... 

3 hours ago, APCGrayLocked said:

i've tried to connect PS3 and PC directly to the modem, but nothing changes. Even opening the windows firewall doors (as writed on the guide) doesn't change something.

Guys, do you believe that this is linked to my internet connection (7mb in download and 500kb in upload [yes in Italy we have shitty connections])?

did you add the 53 to the open tcp and udp ports?...or even just try disabling your firewall entirely for a few minutes to see if that is the problem?... 

Edited by ProfBambam55

14 hours ago, BeautifulTorment said:

Do you have to go through a set-up process each time you intend to play one of these revived games?

For UT3 I have a few questions;

1. If someone has a Gonespy server up and running, do I have to go through a process aside from changing my PS3 DNS?

2. Do stats save?

3. How long is the UT3 boost?

4. Can PS3s from different IPs connect, or do I need to have multiple PS3s on one network?

I think that's all the questions I have for now.

i'll try to answer these as best as i can...please realize i'm technologically constipated...once you set up maradns, deadwood, and gonespy and have them running on your pc you are good to go on whichever game you are trying out...if you stop playing and want to pick up where you left off on another day, yes, you will need to run/activate all of the programs again to be able to use gonespy...

1. yes, everyone playing the game will need to have gonespy up and running on their end...meaning you will also have to install and set up gonespy and its related programs in order to connect to other players...these players will need to be on your friends list and the game will need to have some kind of direct invite option...
  2. i have no idea about this one...if stats are saved on your console then likely, yes...
  3. this ut3 guide suggests 8 hours but that an afk method is available of undetermined hours...
  4. again, if everyone is running gonespy then you can all play together...if you are self-boosting you can use multiple consoles while running only one version of gonespy on your pc...the ip address will be different for each of your consoles when logging on to psn but the primary dns will be the same...

hopefully this answers some of your questions...would appreciate others to chime in if i've been inaccurate...not an expert by any means...

p.s. apologies for double post...was trying to quote in previous post but couldn't get it to work...

Edited by ProfBambam55

51 minutes ago, ProfBambam55 said:

did you add the 53 to the open tcp and udp ports?...or even just try disabling your firewall entirely for a few minutes to see if that is the problem?... 

as i wrote, i've opened the doors on windows firewall (and yes, i added 53 to TCP and UDP ports, as write on the update) and yesterday, my firewall (the one of the modem and the one of the pc) were offline but nothing.

How are your download speed and upload speed?