Bringing 'Em Back from the Dead - The Gonespy Thread...

ProfBambam55

1 hour ago, APCGrayLocked said:

as i wrote, i've opened the doors on windows firewall (and yes, i added 53 to TCP and UDP ports, as write on the update) and yesterday, my firewall (the one of the modem and the one of the pc) were offline but nothing.

How are your download speed and upload speed?

hmm...i have no idea what the problem could be...i had trouble setting up gonespy as well...it took me like a full day for what should've probably taken an hour tops...the only thing I would recommend is going through the whole setup nice and slow and double checking all your values...again, the value you need to sub into the setup files for maradns, deadwood, and network connection setting as primary DNS on ps3 is your ipv4 address which you can find in your internet connection settings on your pc...i don't really know what else to add...if your firewall is disabled and gonespy is not working it must mean that the error is occurring due to improper values or something you may have missed in the maradns or deadwood setup...

do your command prompt windows look like the ones @Sellers posted?... 

my internet speeds are crazy...pay top dollar...almost 1gb/s down and up...yes, that's gb not mb or kb... 

Edited by ProfBambam55

I have fibre that runs at about 100mb down 20mb up. I've had to order a 30 metre ethernet cable to connect my brothers PC to the router as my laptop doesn't have a port lol. If this doesn't work I'm going to try my old router and see if that makes a difference.

5 hours ago, APCGrayLocked said:

all of the prompts are right, Bambam (LoStraniero91 helped me to setting up everything correctly). 1 gb in down and upload?!?... holy shit! Dude, that's amazing! :D

i guess internet speed might have an impact then since it sounds like you've followed all of the setup steps correctly...hmmm...i'm stumped on this one...your experience could probably help others interested in trying this out so please update if you manage to sort it out...anyone have any ideas as to what the issue may be?...

i just remembered I had some issues connecting yesterday and it seemed like it was caused by running gonespy for too long...i restarted my pc, set up the command prompts again and everything ran smoothly...based on this, it's possible that pc/router performance is also an issue so you could try shutting everything down then starting up again one device at-a-time to see if that helps...

Edited by ProfBambam55

12 hours ago, APCGrayLocked said:

all of the prompts are right, Bambam (LoStraniero91 helped me to setting up everything correctly). 1 gb in down and upload?!?... holy shit! Dude, that's amazing! :D

What do your PS3 network settings say for IP Address, Gateway and DNS Server? ProfBB had some issues there, maybe because the guide is missing detail. 

* IP address (if not automatic) should be different to the other two.

* Gateway (if not automatic) should be the IP of your router that connects you to the internet. 

* DNS Server should be the IP address of your PC running Gonespy etc

5 hours ago, NeM2k2 said:

What do your PS3 network settings say for IP Address, Gateway and DNS Server? ProfBB had some issues there, maybe because the guide is missing detail. 

* IP address (if not automatic) should be different to the other two.

* Gateway (if not automatic) should be the IP of your router that connects you to the internet. 

* DNS Server should be the IP address of your PC running Gonespy etc

- IP Address of ps3 is the static one that i put to it, via the modem. (PC is 65, PS3 is 87)

- Gateway is automatic

- DNS Server is the static one of my PC, that i put via the modem.

I repeat: LoStraniero helped me setting up everything correctly (and i've checked everything on your guide NeM [just to be safe] to see if there was some errors but everything is good). If i put the IP of my Router, PS3 goes online freely. If i put the IP of my PC, PS3 doesn't go online and i got always the DNS error. The only thing that changes is the time the error show up. If i open the doors of the modem, put the DMZ on PS3's IP and disable the modem's firewall, the DNS error comes after a good 30 seconds. If i don't do anything, the DNS error comes istantly.

Edited by APCGrayLocked

- IP Address of ps3 is the static one that i put to it, via the modem. (PC is 65, PS3 is 87)

- Gateway is automatic

- DNS Server is the static one of my PC, that i put via the modem.

Just to confirm though I trust you've done this...on ps3 network connection...you've got :

IP Address - w.x.y.87

Gateway - w.x.y.z

Primary DNS - w.x.y.65

Secondary DNS - 0.0.0.0

w.x.y values are the consistent for all...something like 192.168.2...yes?...

Edited by ProfBambam55

I'm still having issues, tried a different router, disabled the firewall and such.

Just so I'm 100% clear, I run ipconfig, and this IPv4 address I put in to the gamespydns text file, and in the dwood3rc file I do the same, so my laptop IP is 192.168.0.27, I put this in those 2 files.

do I need to run maradns, deadwood and the java command for bstormps3 in any particular order?,

I then input the same 192.168.0.27 address in to the PRIMARY DNS field on the PS3 network setup page, set IP to automatic. Have I got this right?

Still yet to try both devices wired as I need a longer cable, but I opened all ports on the router page and firewall, though I have disabled the windows firewall anyway.

So I basically have:

IP address Automatic

Gateway Automatic

Primary DNS 192.168.0.27 (laptop IP address)

Secondary DNS 0 0 0 0

4 hours ago, APCGrayLocked said:

I repeat: LoStraniero helped me setting up everything correctly (and i've checked everything on your guide NeM [just to be safe] to see if there was some errors but everything is good). If i put the IP of my Router, PS3 goes online freely. If i put the IP of my PC, PS3 doesn't go online and i got always the DNS error. The only thing that changes is the time the error show up. If i open the doors of the modem, put the DMZ on PS3's IP and disable the modem's firewall, the DNS error comes after a good 30 seconds. If i don't do anything, the DNS error comes istantly.

DNS error means the PS3 can't connect to maradns/deadwood, so the issue is going to be one of;

• Bad network configuration on the PS3 (though yours looks good)
  • Firewall on PC blocking DNS requests on TCP/UDP 53 from the PS3
  • Maradns/deadwood not running, or configured correctly
  • Something unusual on your network setup that is blocking DNS requests from your PS3 to your PC

You could try setting the Primary DNS on another PC/phone/other device on your network to that of your PC and see if it can resolve by trying to visit any website - that would rule out an issue on the PS3, and confirm that maradns/deadwood are working

(I mean no offense when possibly reiterating anything LoStraniero has helped you with - just dumping all my thoughts into a post in the hopes that they help you, or others reading this thread)

3 hours ago, Sellers said:

Just so I'm 100% clear, I run ipconfig, and this IPv4 address I put in to the gamespydns text file, and in the dwood3rc file I do the same, so my laptop IP is 192.168.0.27, I put this in those 2 files.

Yes, you should replace the 192.168.2.37 with 192.168.0.27 in gamespydns.txt and dwood3rc.txt

do I need to run maradns, deadwood and the java command for bstormps3 in any particular order?,

The order should not matter. In case somehow it does, I typically run them in this order: maradns, deadwood, bstormps3

I then input the same 192.168.0.27 address in to the PRIMARY DNS field on the PS3 network setup page, set IP to automatic. Have I got this right?

Yes, that is correct

IP address Automatic

Gateway Automatic

Primary DNS 192.168.0.27 (laptop IP address)

Secondary DNS 0 0 0 0

This looks fine

Edited by NeM2k2

@NeM2k2 So I have entered the IP address of my Laptop with everything running on to my phone and this gives me a connection 100% fine, so the problem must be with my PS3 connecting? I'm going to try it wired tomorrow and see if this solves the issue.

25 minutes ago, Sellers said:

@NeM2k2 So I have entered the IP address of my Laptop with everything running on to my phone and this gives me a connection 100% fine, so the problem must be with my PS3 connecting? I'm going to try it wired tomorrow and see if this solves the issue.

Yes, it sounds like it. Wired is definitely worth trying. I think @ProfBambam55 also had an issue when his PS3 was wireless - hopefully he can confirm.

Personally I have my PS3 wireless and PC wired, both connected to the same router which functions as both my gateway and wireless access point.

56 minutes ago, NeM2k2 said:

Yes, it sounds like it. Wired is definitely worth trying. I think @ProfBambam55 also had an issue when his PS3 was wireless - hopefully he can confirm.

I couldn't run it off a wireless pc connection...my consoles are all wired so didn't try wireless for them...when I used my 2nd pc, which is wired, it worked fine...i also kind of modified the steps in that I chose custom ip address  on the ps3 network connection setup and entered all values manually on that screen since they can all be tweaked at once...i wanted to make sure all the numbers were correct...when I made ip address automatic and primary DNS custom it kept giving my ip address a value of 0.0.0.0 when i tested the connection... 

running ipconfig gave me the gateway and ip address values only...i ran automatic setup for all of the wired connection settings on my ps3 for the 3rd value I needed, the ip console address which finally no longer said 0.0.0.0...in the end the ipconfig gateway became gateway DNS on my console...the ipconfig ip address became primary DNS...the console automatic ip address stayed as that ip address...and of course the secondary DNS was 0.0.0.0...ambiguous?...

Edited by ProfBambam55

4 hours ago, ProfBambam55 said:

Just to confirm though I trust you've done this...on ps3 network connection...you've got :

IP Address - w.x.y.87

Gateway - w.x.y.z

Primary DNS - w.x.y.65

Secondary DNS - 0.0.0.0

w.x.y values are the consistent for all...something like 192.168.2...yes?...

Correct. 

1 hour ago, NeM2k2 said:

DNS error means the PS3 can't connect to maradns/deadwood, so the issue is going to be one of;

• Bad network configuration on the PS3 (though yours looks good)
  • Firewall on PC blocking DNS requests on TCP/UDP 53 from the PS3
  • Maradns/deadwood not running, or configured correctly
  • Something unusual on your network setup that is blocking DNS requests from your PS3 to your PC

You could try setting the Primary DNS on another PC/phone/other device on your network to that of your PC and see if it can resolve by trying to visit any website - that would rule out an issue on the PS3, and confirm that maradns/deadwood are working

(I mean no offense when possibly reiterating anything LoStraniero has helped you with - just dumping all my thoughts into a post in the hopes that they help you, or others reading this thread)

- Bad network configuration i don't believe, cuz i follow your sub guide to set everything up correctly on ps3.

- Firewall on PC neither, cuz i've opened the ports TCP and UDP, as you wrote on the update of the guide.

- Maradns and Deadwood not running... uhm. The prompts says "Maradns proudly serves you 5 DNS" and "Deadwood started successfully".

- Something unusual... can be, but here I can't say much about it. On my modem page, i can disable the firewall (and i did it), activate the dynamic dns and open the ports via games and applications sharing (upnp, ndr)

For the setting... yes i could try that. 

Something unusual... can be, but here I can't say much about it. On my modem page, i can disable the firewall (and i did it), activate the dynamic dns and open the ports via games and applications sharing (upnp, ndr)

i thought I read somewhere that ip address needs to be static not dynamic...not sure though...i've been doing a lot of reading about a lot of different things that are new to me so might be getting confused...i actually read and tried to understand all the readme files that are in the maradns and deadwood folders...perhaps where I saw static ip mentioned...again, not sure though I was reading about VPNs and using xlinkkai (I think that's what it's called) to try and brainstorm if there was a way we could all connect to the same gonespy server...inconclusive...my head practically exploded...

Edited by ProfBambam55

1 hour ago, ProfBambam55 said:

i thought I read somewhere that ip address needs to be static not dynamic...not sure though...i've been doing a lot of reading about a lot of different things that are new to me so might be getting confused...i actually read and tried to understand all the readme files that are in the maradns and deadwood folders...perhaps where I saw static ip mentioned...again, not sure though I was reading about VPNs and using xlinkkai (I think that's what it's called) to try and brainstorm if there was a way we could all connect to the same gonespy server...inconclusive...my head practically exploded...

You're a braver man than I, delving into the maradns readmes - the intricacies of networking are definitely not my forte! Probably 30% of my time spent on Gonespy was spent getting the DNS working.

IP can be dynamic on your PS3 - I tested that last night and it works.

xLinkKai would probably work. I haven't used it, but it does seem to require you to install software on your PC as well - which people might still have trouble connecting to with their PS3.

Any one of us could do some port forwarding in our router to open our DNS & gonespy to others - but once you do, you start treading down a legally grey path. The US govt granted the right to restore authentication servers to dead games which is great, because that's exactly what Gonespy is doing in its current state - but it doesn't include restoring centralized multiplayer servers to dead games, which is technically still illegal.

So - if you want to try letting others connect to your Gonespy - I suggest you keep it on the down-low ;) (at least until our friends at the EFF make more progress)

Edited by NeM2k2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sellers said:

Plugged in both PS3 and computer in via Ethernet cable but still no luck, DNS errors on the PS3 :(

I'll try another router next week as a last resort, otherwise I'm completely out of ideas.

i'm happy to see that i'm not the only one that have those problem. 

I managed to get Unreal Tournament 3 to work after a lot of trial and error. I was able to get it working with a wireless connection on both my laptop and the PS3, so I don't think the connection type really does much to hurt you when you try this. What I realised I was doing wrong was the way that I was inputting the commands in the .txt files, simply copying the exact wording from the github link didn't put the text in the formatting that the program required, the spacing and line gaps were often off. But that is likely a design flaw with the way github displays the text. Below are screenshots of my .txt files for gamespydns, dwood3rc and mararc, of course the IP addresses are my static IP that I set, so you likely won't have the same IP as me. 

AF8tTLI.png

sMN1ngH.png

s1va93z.png

Aside from that, in my router settings I did input all the ports that are recommended from the github guide as firewall rules on the router itself, I'm not sure if that helps a great deal, I did also put the firewall rules into Windows Firewall. 

I recommend both @APCGrayLocked and @Sellers to copy the exact way I have done the .txt documents, at least Sellers' command prompt windows look perfectly fine. 

I must say once again a big thank you to @NeM2k2 who has provided people with this opportunity, I sure wouldn't have been able to get onto Unreal Tournament 3 without your information from the github. I won't be working on the game immediately, but at least now that I know what to do, I will be able to work on the game when I feel like doing it. 

Edited by Sergen

1 hour ago, Sergen said:

What I realised I was doing wrong was the way that I was inputting the commands in the .txt files, simply copying the exact wording from the github link didn't put the text in the formatting that the program required, the spacing and line gaps were often off. But that is likely a design flaw with the way github displays the text

Thanks for the feedback @Sergen - I think only the gamespydns.txt will have special formatting (tabs etc) - the other two files should all be just spaces for whitespace. I updated the guide to say to copy-paste from the guide rather than typing it out so you don't get the wrong formatting. I would hope that copy-pasting would work correctly...

1 hour ago, Sergen said:

I must say once again a big thank you to @NeM2k2 who has provided people with this opportunity, I sure wouldn't have been able to get onto Unreal Tournament 3 without your information from the github.

You're welcome :) Credit to @LoStraniero91 too for his testing of a dozen or so games. I started UT3 years ago and still need the 500 ranked trophy too.

• Like 1

Was doing some reading and have a few things that might be worth noting regarding opening ports...not sure since they are untested...if you have a separate firewall program than Windows firewall, a virus software or ad blocker, it's possible you need to adjust settings within them all to allow gonespy port access...i'll post some links on how to check which ports are open later...at work...

8 minutes ago, ProfBambam55 said:

Was doing some reading and have a few things that might be worth noting regarding opening ports...not sure since they are untested...if you have a separate firewall program than Windows firewall, a virus software or ad blocker, it's possible you need to adjust settings within them all to allow gonespy port access...i'll post some links on how to check which ports are open later...at work...

What I found on my laptop was that Skype also uses some of the ports that Gonespy uses and there's an option within Skype to no-longer use those ports, but I also quit out of Skype altogether to make sure, aside from that I'm not sure what else uses some of the ports, I know port 80 and port 443 are used by quite a few downloaded apps that require the internet. 

If this still doesn't work, would someone mind attaching their own .txt files here or emailing them so we can then just easily edit our IP's in to them and drop them in our own folders for those that have it working?

again, at work so cannot test but you could try try this:

open default (c:\windows\system 32 or something like that)  command prompt as admin...type "netstat - na"...i think it'll list your open ports so you can see which programs are using which ports...check for the ones gonespy uses and if there are any conflicting ports...not sure if this'll work...i'll check it out when I'm home tonight...

Edited by ProfBambam55