Bringing 'Em Back from the Dead - The Gonespy Thread...

ProfBambam55

I really can't diagnose @APCGrayLocked's problems now, unfortunately since you said your internet speed is quite low it might be that, but we can't really know. Aside from that, I think everyone else has used Windows 10 to get on it, you're using Windows 7, I'm not sure if that also has any impact on it. What game are you going to do with Gonespy? 

Also @Sellers, since you're on UT3, there's a method I found that allows you to win 99% of the matches, so you can get the Online Champion trophy quicker. If you pause the game during the match with the bots, you can see the scores, and while the match is progressing you can press :square: to change teams and go on the winning team, the wins still count even if you swap teams during a match. It makes the trophy half assed, but also almost guaranteed :D. I have the trophy, I'm just not going to sync it yet, but I did stream the last 93 matches here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35i8JuSx16A and I have over 20 hours of recordings on my laptop that I can upload to YouTube later. 

At least now we can confirm that Online Champion genuinely does pop after you fulfil the requirements, so thanks a lot to @NeM2k2 and @ProfBambam55 and @LoStraniero91 who have been here to give people as much advice as you can to help us get on Gonespy, without you guys and your advice I wouldn't have figured out how to use Gonespy myself. 

Edited by Sergen

8 hours ago, ProfBambam55 said:

@NeM2k2 would it be possible to link the edited files into your setup tutorial?...as in edit them on your end and drop them in the appropriate folders for downloading...or a "replace mararc with this file"..."put this file in deadwood folder"... 

Yep, I'd be happy to. I'd like to compare my files to someone else whose is working now, and also if possible compare my files to the non-working files of @APCGrayLocked or @Sellers so I can try to work out what was wrong with their files (at a guess I'd say different line endings)

I also think that my internet connection speed is a part (or the whole) of the problem, but the fact is that Mara and Bulletstormjava are working and detected by TCPview. Only deadwood isn't working. Yes, LoStraniero told me that Windows 7 can be the problem, but 1. i can't put on Windows 10, because i should buy it (and i don't have the money resources right now). 2. i don't like Windows 10 xD.

@Sergen Unreal Tournament 3, obviously and, if Gonespy works with it, Jane's Advanced Strike Fighters. For now, only those 2.

@ProfBambam55 tomorrow we will see.

Edited by APCGrayLocked

Now that I think of it I'm 99% certain my deadwood file was the problem and that it wasn't running correctly, before when I ran .\uninstall.bat it said gave me a net error message saying the service couldn't be found, but still said it uninstalled it afterwards.

When I used Sergen's file and removed deadwood last night after finishing up UT3 I noticed it said something like 'deadwood service removed success' or along those lines, so I'm certain that was the problem, whether there was some formatting issue when I copied the text from github or if I was making an error in the file that I couldn't identify I'm not sure.

@ProfBambam55, i don't have the option to change domain to Deadwood on my Windows Firewall. It doesn't appear at all (same as for mara, but the problem is deadwood, so let's ignore mara).

However, i'm trying to understand why Deadwood isn't working (i try to uninstall and install again Deadwood as you said. Nothing happens) and in the directory of Deadwood, i've found those interesting texts:

"Deadwood uses a file to store messages called "dwlog.txt" (without the quotes) in the same directory where Deadwood is started.  If there are any errors that make it so Deadwood can not start, they should be noted in this log file."

On my log, as for today (Friday the 23th) my log says this:

"venerdì 23 marzo 2018 12:32:57: We bound to 1 addresses
venerdì 23 marzo 2018 12:32:57: Unable to get 128 bits of entropy; file secret.txt must be at least 16 bytes (128 bits) long"

what this means?

Even further, i've found this on the texts:

"In order to actually use the Deadwood DNS cache on your computer, go to the control panel entry for network connections (Control Panel -> Network connections), then right-click on the network connection you use and select "properties", select the TCP/IP protocol in the list of network types in the window, click on the button marked "properties", manually select DNS servers, and make 127.0.0.1 the DNS server used. It is also possible to remove the Deadwood service. 'uninstall.bat' will remove the Deadwood service from a Windows system; this file needs to be  run as an administrator. Be sure to reset the DNS servers used before uninstalling Deadwood, otherwise it won't be possible to use the internet. There is no need to stop Windows "DNS client" service."

You did what his explained here?

I get this error when trying to activate gonespy.

C:\maradns-2-0-15-win32\Bullet>java -jar bstormps3-0.1.jar
15:09:15.233 [Thread-1] INFO AvailabilityService - Listening on port 27900[UDP]
SLF4J: A number (2) of logging calls during the initialization phase have been intercepted and are
SLF4J: now being replayed. These are subject to the filtering rules of the underlying logging system.
SLF4J: See also http://www.slf4j.org/codes.html#replay
15:09:15.237 [Thread-1] INFO GPSPService - Listening on port 29901
15:09:15.237 [Thread-1] INFO GPCMService - Listening on port 29900
ERROR [2018-03-23 14:09:18,449] io.dropwizard.cli.ServerCommand: Unable to start server, shutting down
! java.net.BindException: Address already in use: bind
! at sun.nio.ch.Net.bind0(Native Method)
! at sun.nio.ch.Net.bind(Unknown Source)
! at sun.nio.ch.ServerSocketChannelImpl.bind(Unknown Source)
! at sun.nio.ch.ServerSocketAdaptor.bind(Unknown Source)
! at org.eclipse.jetty.server.ServerConnector.open(ServerConnector.java:298)
! at org.eclipse.jetty.setuid.SetUIDListener.lifeCycleStarting(SetUIDListener.java:200)
! ... 10 common frames omitted
! Causing: java.lang.RuntimeException: java.net.BindException: Address already in use: bind
! at org.eclipse.jetty.setuid.SetUIDListener.lifeCycleStarting(SetUIDListener.java:213)
! at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.AbstractLifeCycle.setStarting(AbstractLifeCycle.java:188)
! at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:67)
! at io.dropwizard.cli.ServerCommand.run(ServerCommand.java:53)
! at io.dropwizard.cli.EnvironmentCommand.run(EnvironmentCommand.java:44)
! at io.dropwizard.cli.ConfiguredCommand.run(ConfiguredCommand.java:85)
! at io.dropwizard.cli.Cli.run(Cli.java:74)
! at io.dropwizard.Application.run(Application.java:89)
! at com.gonespy.bstormps3.service.debug.DebugService.main(DebugService.java:39)
! at com.gonespy.bstormps3.service.RunAllServices.lambda$main$3(RunAllServices.java:18)
! at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
java.net.BindException: Address already in use: bind

2 hours ago, WaddysWDS said:

I get this error when trying to activate gonespy.

C:\maradns-2-0-15-win32\Bullet>java -jar bstormps3-0.1.jar
15:09:15.233 [Thread-1] INFO AvailabilityService - Listening on port 27900[UDP]
SLF4J: A number (2) of logging calls during the initialization phase have been intercepted and are
SLF4J: now being replayed. These are subject to the filtering rules of the underlying logging system.
SLF4J: See also http://www.slf4j.org/codes.html#replay
15:09:15.237 [Thread-1] INFO GPSPService - Listening on port 29901
15:09:15.237 [Thread-1] INFO GPCMService - Listening on port 29900
ERROR [2018-03-23 14:09:18,449] io.dropwizard.cli.ServerCommand: Unable to start server, shutting down
! java.net.BindException: Address already in use: bind
! at sun.nio.ch.Net.bind0(Native Method)
! at sun.nio.ch.ServerSocketChannelImpl.bind(Unknown Source)
! at sun.nio.ch.ServerSocketAdaptor.bind(Unknown Source)
! at org.eclipse.jetty.server.ServerConnector.open(ServerConnector.java:298)
! at org.eclipse.jetty.setuid.SetUIDListener.lifeCycleStarting(SetUIDListener.java:200)
! ... 10 common frames omitted
! Causing: java.lang.RuntimeException: java.net.BindException: Address already in use: bind
! at org.eclipse.jetty.setuid.SetUIDListener.lifeCycleStarting(SetUIDListener.java:213)
! at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.AbstractLifeCycle.setStarting(AbstractLifeCycle.java:188)
! at org.eclipse.jetty.util.component.AbstractLifeCycle.start(AbstractLifeCycle.java:67)
! at io.dropwizard.cli.ServerCommand.run(ServerCommand.java:53)
! at io.dropwizard.cli.EnvironmentCommand.run(EnvironmentCommand.java:44)
! at io.dropwizard.cli.ConfiguredCommand.run(ConfiguredCommand.java:85)
! at io.dropwizard.cli.Cli.run(Cli.java:74)
! at io.dropwizard.Application.run(Application.java:89)
! at com.gonespy.bstormps3.service.debug.DebugService.main(DebugService.java:39)
! at com.gonespy.bstormps3.service.RunAllServices.lambda$main$3(RunAllServices.java:18)
! at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
java.net.BindException: Address already in use: bind

I think you get this issue if Port 80 and Port 443 are being used by another application. If it's not the default windows programs then check Skype, because that also uses the ports and some other background apps might use those ports as well. 

8 hours ago, APCGrayLocked said:

@ProfBambam55, i don't have the option to change domain to Deadwood on my Windows Firewall. It doesn't appear at all (same as for mara, but the problem is deadwood, so let's ignore mara).

However, i'm trying to understand why Deadwood isn't working (i try to uninstall and install again Deadwood as you said. Nothing happens) and in the directory of Deadwood, i've found those interesting texts:

"Deadwood uses a file to store messages called "dwlog.txt" (without the quotes) in the same directory where Deadwood is started.  If there are any errors that make it so Deadwood can not start, they should be noted in this log file."

On my log, as for today (Friday the 23th) my log says this:

"venerdì 23 marzo 2018 12:32:57: We bound to 1 addresses
venerdì 23 marzo 2018 12:32:57: Unable to get 128 bits of entropy; file secret.txt must be at least 16 bytes (128 bits) long"

what this means?

Even further, i've found this on the texts:

"In order to actually use the Deadwood DNS cache on your computer, go to the control panel entry for network connections (Control Panel -> Network connections), then right-click on the network connection you use and select "properties", select the TCP/IP protocol in the list of network types in the window, click on the button marked "properties", manually select DNS servers, and make 127.0.0.1 the DNS server used. It is also possible to remove the Deadwood service. 'uninstall.bat' will remove the Deadwood service from a Windows system; this file needs to be  run as an administrator. Be sure to reset the DNS servers used before uninstalling Deadwood, otherwise it won't be possible to use the internet. There is no need to stop Windows "DNS client" service."

You did what his explained here?

the first half is a java error from what I can tell...possibly unrelated but you could try installing 64-bit version of Java and see what happens (if possible on Windows 7)...it seems to be reference to one of the input lines in the secret.txt files..."16 bytes long" refers to number of characters in a certain line...from what I'm reading it means 32 characters (numbers, letters, etc.)...i'll have a look at what's in the secret.txt when I get home...

looked into windows 7 firewall I was mentioning other day...system and security > windows firewall > allowed programs...choose "allow another program" > browse > deadwood...and check off domain, private, public...though based on above this is not the issue....

you can ignore the second half of above quote...mine says the same thing and I didn't modify it...

Edited by ProfBambam55

to be clear, this is the content of my secret.txt in the deadwood folder:

¬FÂ4½ÙÜÔY^øAT¾m®4I 4    t3iônáv‰cÎõf]ò®~w@ïÝÿê>Î܈:à„ÐP(lÙ±Tcp

Copy paste here your content. Maybe if i put your content in my text, maybe Deadwood will work.

PS: i can't install Java 64. I have Windows 7 at 32bit.

Edited by APCGrayLocked

ok...so the secret.txt file is just a random seed file (basically just a random encryption "password")...i'm looking into the details now...i think it will be different for all of us...not sure if the values really matter...reading about it now...

and here's mine...sort of:

4íñ=fñŒ`Ãàùql¯+ב Ï"¹3šoÀ^V–º¡F ×Æ’$ñ\–áÀCN_8~°vhãÏ
èžÇˆEs+

On my pc there is no hard return after Ï...it's just one line...not sure why it's there after I hit submit...

p. s. I'll try yours in my secret.txt later...entropy refers to randomness...i.e. how random the numbers appear...maybe yours was not "random" enough?...haha...no idea... 

Edited by ProfBambam55

Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe doesn't work currently... It says it can't connect you and says something like "check your router or Ethernet cable are connected properly". When you go online on it, the game does try to read your player stats and I guess since Gonespy can't read online stats currently the game won't load up for that reason. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Sergen said:

I think you get this issue if Port 80 and Port 443 are being used by another application. If it's not the default windows programs then check Skype, because that also uses the ports and some other background apps might use those ports as well. 

IjjFfz8.png

indeed, Skype prevented its proper functioning, thank you very much.
Before I fell badly, now I love you. XOXOXOX

Edited by WaddysWDS
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, WaddysWDS said:

XjvfBa9.png

Now I have problems with Deadwood and I do not know what to do ...

what happens when you run maradns?...as in with "maradns.exe - f mararc"...

p.s. updated the op to make it look prettier...haha...thanks @Sergen @LoStraniero91 for your contributions... @NeM2k2 and I are almost done testing the 200 challenges...hopefully will have an update tomorrow...

i'm also hoping to pick up some of the titles in the untested games section this week...haven't had a spare moment to hit up the local game shop yet...

Edited by ProfBambam55
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ProfBambam55 said:

what happens when you run maradns?...as in with "maradns.exe - f mararc"...

p.s. updated the op to make it look prettier...haha...thanks @Sergen @LoStraniero91 for your contributions... @NeM2k2 and I are almost done testing the 200 challenges...hopefully will have an update tomorrow...

C:\maradns-2-0-15-win32\Deadwood-3-2-11-win32>maradns.exe - f mararc
"maradns.exe" no se reconoce como un comando interno o externo,
programa o archivo por lotes ejecutable.

C:\maradns-2-0-15-win32\Deadwood-3-2-11-win32>

--------------------------

"maradns.exe" is not recognized as an internal or external command,
program or batch file executable.

6 minutes ago, WaddysWDS said:

"maradns.exe" no se reconoce como un comando interno o externo,
programa o archivo por lotes ejecutable.

--------------------------

"maradns.exe" is not recognized as an internal or external command,
program or batch file executable.

put ./ at the start...no wait...your command prompt is open to the Deadwood folder...wrong folder...you need c:\maradns-2-0-15-win32>maradns.exe -f mararc... ./makes no difference

Edited by ProfBambam55
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, WaddysWDS said:

This is the order of my folders, I do not know if it has something to do ...

h3seaW5.png

----------------

l00sefa.png

Edited above post...run "maradns.exe - f mararc" in the maradns-2-0-15-win32 command prompt not the Deadwood one...as in go up one folder before opening command prompt...get maradns running then try running Deadwood with "install.bat"...

Edited by ProfBambam55
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, WaddysWDS said:

pcKmefL.png

I did a few tests and they all give me an error.

I get the same error if I make typos...i get the net helpmsg if I uninstall Deadwood...try opening the cmd prompts as administrator...at the top of the cmd window it should say "administrator : c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe" for Deadwood...your first screen shot doesn't have this... 

I see it now...you're typing ./...needs to be .\...you don't even need it...just write "maradns.exe -f mararc... 

for Deadwood, open cmd as admin and type "install.bat"...

Edited by ProfBambam55

16 minutes ago, ProfBambam55 said:

I get the same error if I make typos...i get the net helpmsg if I uninstall Deadwood...try opening the cmd prompts as administrator...at the top of the cmd window it should say "administrator : c:\windows\system32\cmd.exe" for Deadwood...your first screen shot doesn't have this... 

vExqlqS.png

just like that
?

----------------

Sorry for all the inconvenience, I'm not used to this.

Edited by WaddysWDS