Awesome game!

Gefro-On-Defro

I reached second difficulty today. Its getting pretty tough, but i guess thats why you can unlock permament skill upgrades and dmg boost if you kill enough of specific monster type.

A little bit luck based , epic perks make huge different, but right now it doesnt feel unfair even without epic perks.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
3 minutes ago, Oblers said:

Hello, does anybody knows what are pins with glow in the map ? thks

I never knew when I played the game either, but I read after that it has something to do with being levels that you can get more points to upgrade your character on or something. So it might make the game easier to play some of them to buff up your character.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Angus1343 said:

I never knew when I played the game either, but I read after that it has something to do with being levels that you can get more points to upgrade your character on or something. So it might make the game easier to play some of them to buff up your character.

Thank you, with your tips, I think i've found what glow pins means. So, I payed attention when I was playing these maps, and I check that crystals are x2 bonus ! In Aether, we have normaly 3 crystals per map to collect, but when done i got 6 !

Edited by Oblers

2 hours ago, Oblers said:

Thank you, with your tips, I think i've found what glow pins means. So, I payed attention when I was playing these maps, and I check that crystals are x2 bonus ! In Aether, we have normaly 3 crystals per map to collect, but when done i got 6 !

Aha! Cool. Glad I could help.

• 1 year later...
On 3/17/2018 at 0:15 AM, Gefro-On-Defro said:

Really love this. Better than Alien Nation and Helldivers for me. On a par with Dead Nation. Check it out if this is your sort of game! I didn't want to stop playing!

I know this is old, but yes and no.

Yes the game is simple but awesome. But unfortunately it becomes boring, stupid and pointless. This is 10tons trademark, which is unfortunate to them as there's talent in their games.

It's pretty stupid that by the time you reach the third difficulty RNG makes such a huge impact in the game that it becomes annoying to play it. The simple fact is that finishing a level or not becomes almost exclusively a matter of the drops you get.

First, there's no viable strategy for the whole game except running around backwards while shooting back trying to avoid the baddies. The only chances when you can do otherwise is when you have the mech or the epic teleport perk. It's simply impossible to face the crowds any other way unless you have a really powerful weapons and some upgrade perks, which are all random.

Second, it's ridiculous but in my games in 90%+ of the levels I played in the highest difficulty the drops are absolutely ridiculous. The first and a few more weapons I'll surely get are the useless shotgun, revolver or tommy gun, which basically serve to tickle the enemies, and you can have 100 of them around you in a snap. To add to this 90% of the times the abilities you receive are useless too, as the most common to drop are the now useless nova, repulse, thunderbolt and explosive barrel. And the perks follow the same path.

Third the game stupidly again has no reliable and viable upgrade paths along the way. The only thing you get along the game progress is the crystals which can give you upgrades to the mech and teleport because for everything else it's again a random item or possibility. Again how stupid can this be? Everything about the game revolves around randomness. I finished the second difficulty with just one upgrade to the teleport, mech, quantum condenser, aether distiller and tesla glove. I thought this could be viable for the last one, but it's not for most levels. Or it can be depending on your luck.

Fourth. Maxing out all abilities needs 8000 crystals... You get 6 by finishing a level in the highest difficulty. Granted you get more by killing tons of enemies and there's the daily quests, but even these are random and most a PITA. There's quests for killing 500 enemies with 1 specific ability (yep one of the random ones that seldom drops). One of them took me the first 2 whole difficulties to finish. I now have 2 more of those...

I could go on with details but think it's easy to see the point. The whole progress you can get in the game is 95%+ down to the gods of RNG. And even that is cheated as the rate at which you get the junk weapons, abilities and perks are simply not possible with normal RNG.

Dead Nation is difficult and has a reasonable learning curve. The levels are not random (except the stupid survival mode) so you can learn how to tackle them. There's a reasonable progress in the weapons and abilities and you can upgrade them reasonably along your game. Also you can choose the abilities and weapons you upgrade and use to change the game to the way you like and see more feasible. Once you know the game it even becomes easy, or almost, even in morbid. When I finished the PS4 version, which was my third one, it was exactly that. That's why to me Dead Nation is one of the best games ever made, because it was developed with reasonable sets of goals and difficulties to make it achievable, and in various different gameplay styles (I kill 100%, or at least 99.99% of the enemies on all levels, don't even almost use dash or melee).

Dead Nation is eons away from Tesla vs Lovecraft. The sales and players numbers are right on these 2.

Ultimately it's unfortunate that 10tons takes a interesting concept and then ruins it with dumb decisions. It's a pity, the game could have been awesome with a few changes. Like it is it becomes boring, stupid and repetitive. Sadly.

I have most of their games, in perspective, even with all the issues, their best one is Neon Chrome. I still have Undead Horde and Jydge to start but I'm not expecting miracles.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hello ! I've just got the platinum. It's not a bad game but quite disappointing. It's very arcade like and totally aleatory, your success depends on the bonus that you get. Above of that, it’s always the same : running away and shooting. Dead Nation was a great game, far better ?

• 1 year later...

Ohhh, Alienation is a better game! Opinions of course. I haven't played Helldivers (I hear is is coop dependent, but plan on giving it a shot) and I love Dead Nation, but Alienation is my favorite twin stick shooter I've played so far. Tesla vs Lovecraft is a circle strafe game relying heavily on drops and RNG. There is hold over from previous leveling, a typical rogue-lite element, with small circular levels, but you don't have the layer of loot in Alienation and the ability to create simple builds with character and weapons equipped. Alienation has much more layered and complex levels, a decent upgrade tree/path, and only uses the circle strafe formula in certain arena areas or event areas.

• Like 1