Cosmetics Only/No More Pay2Win

Bullstomp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.polygon.com/platform/amp/2018/3/16/17130402/star-wars-battlefront-2-loot-crates-progression-changes-opinion

Effective March 21st, microtransactions return to Star Wars: Battlefront 2. However, it will now be only cosmetics, not pay2win. 

Thoughts? And is anyone else hoping for a pink Darth Vader??

Edited by Bullstomp
  • Like 2

This is how all microtransactions should be... People shouldn't have to pay to have an advantage over everyone else on the game, some people don't have a lot of time to play games as it is and when they play the game why should their hard earned money be going into trying to one-up everyone else? I could understand having the microtransactions for games that are a free-to-play model, but you already pay full retail price for Battlefront II and would hardly have a playable game when you're being owned by people who paid more money than you online. On the first Battlefront game, there was DLC for weapons and shit but to even be able to use the weapons you had to complete Hutt Contracts, which required you to get kills in a specific way or play random game modes and do something there, I wouldn't be surprised if that comes back for Battlefront II. Either way, it'll be a while until I bother to play the game at all, I'm still waiting to see what kind of BS DLC trophies they'll make for it. 

• Like 2

Seems like its putting new players at a bigger disadvantage - The established player base will destroy anyone returning to the game by having all the maxed out star cards, new players will now have to work their way up the progression ladder. Its a massive improvement, but all too late for this game, the damage has already been done.

I hope all developers take note and learn from EA / Dices mistakes.

Side note - anyone wants to play some BF2 then add me 'Waterfields1'

• Like 2

The only things worth buying are reasonably price Season Passes where you know the game will bring out quality DLC content over the coming year. Most of the Seasons Passes you may as well wait a few month and they will be like 70% off on the store because they have over priced it so much nobody even bothered buying them. I hate any sort of in game currency or FIFAs game pack rubbish. The fact they encourage people to fork out hundreds a year then when they release FIFA 2090 you have to start all over again. I remember when they had Star Wars Deluxe edition I think it was for £130 pre release... like really??

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, jrdemr said:

The one thing I'm really worried about on all of this is that... I still remember when microtransactions used to be universally loathed in full-priced games. But now that we've seen even worse things (loot boxes and pay-to-win tactics), suddenly they're okay?

I, for one, refuse to lower my standards.

If so many full-priced games can still make a profit by just... you know, actually being good, there's nothing to excuse these kinds of monetization strategies.

Is this leagues better than what the game had before? Of course. But even if shit is better than radioactive shit... it's still shit.

I totally feel the same way especially with Star Wars. They know they have die-hard fans by their tight and curlies because of their collector's OCD (see "Star Wars Merchandizing"). I am still passing on the game, even though I love DICE.

3 hours ago, Super Sand Virginia said:

I am surprised how the negative press affected EA's behavior.

Very interesting.

A helmet with bull horns would be cool to wear :)1f402.png

However, if they make a helmet with bull horns or pink Darth Vader, I admit I would change that opinion??

Edited by Bullstomp

I hope this doesn't make the game unenjoyable. I'm afraid other players will look ridiculous and destroy the atmosphere (although The Last Jedi already showed that Disney might move Star Wars in that direction...). I generally don't play many shooters, but Battlefront is an exception because it's Star Wars - if that feeling of being in that galaxy far, far away is lost, then the game loses its last bit of appeal.

47 minutes ago, DennisWilles said:

Better than nothing I guess but I think all microtransactions are bullshit. Why do I gotta pay for something in a full priced title? I paid 60 bucks, I should own all the content. Only expansions (not 4 multiplayer maps, an actual expansion) should cost money. 

All the stuff was in the game, it just had to be earned, with the option to get it faster with $. Even with $ there was still no guarantee. Someone could spend a 1000$ and not get the best thing in the game. While a free player could get it after the first match. There's no guarantee either way. $ isn't an automatic advantage.

I really do wish people would learn the difference between pay 2 progress faster and pay 2 win. Pay 2 win is when paying players have access to better things that free players just can't get at all. Thankfully no console games have done that yet the way mobile does... But of course, people will have you believe every game does it lol.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, SirPigFace said:

. I remember when they had Star Wars Deluxe edition I think it was for £130 pre release... like really??

Not just with EA games man. Wolfenstein II, Assassin's Creed origins, shadow of war, pretty much any triple A. Lol I remember watchdogs 1 had so many editions it created lots of confusion.