Multiplayer doable legit?

AJ_Radio

I bought The Last of Us on PS3 a long while back but never got fully around to the multiplayer. I played single player for a bit on one of my alts and it was excellent. Shouldn’t be a problem going after the single player trophies. 

I believe for this version you have to boost for the DLC trophies. But I don’t know how active the multiplayer is if you just want to get the three multiplayer trophies out of the way in the base game. 

I thought about doing this game this summer to get the multiplayer out of the way so I don’t have to worry about it. 

But does this version on PS3 still have plenty of active players online?

I believe the MP is still quite active and the vanilla online trophies are easily doable without boosting, even against seasoned vets. Save crafting challenges for your 100% risks, and that should be comfortably achievable even on the higher tiers. There are other easy ones to do as well earlier on if you want to save the crafting for later. Remember you can skip 2/3 of all matches to drastically reduce the amount of time you need to spend on Firefly/Hunter factions. Also low population is a good thing, so once you get the trophy for x amount of pop, try to keep it as low as possible (which will happen naturally if you're skipping 2 games out of 3). Additionally, if you think you're on the verge of failing a 100% challenge, then you can just quit to XMB and try again without any penalty.

Anyway I think I've given more info than you actually asked for haha. As for the DLC, yeah you have to be very good to earn them legit since they need to be without dying iirc on the PS3 version. But if you can find 7 other people (easier said than done), it can be boosted very quickly via Interrogation as soon as match making has paired up both groups of 4.

Edited by Zolkovo

19 minutes ago, Zolkovo said:

I believe the MP is still quite active and the vanilla online trophies are easily doable without boosting, even against seasoned vets. Save crafting challenges for your 100% risks, and that should be comfortably achievable even on the higher tiers. There are other easy ones to do as well earlier on if you want to save the crafting for later. Remember you can skip 2/3 of all matches to drastically reduce the amount of time you need to spend on Firefly/Hunter factions. Also low population is a good thing, so once you get the trophy for x amount of pop, try to keep it as low as possible (which will happen naturally if you're skipping 2 games out of 3). Additionally, if you think you're on the verge of failing a 100% challenge, then you can just quit to XMB and try again without any penalty.

Anyway I think I've given more info than you actually asked for haha. As for the DLC, yeah you have to be very good to earn them legit since they need to be without dying iirc on the PS3 version. But if you can find 7 other people (easier said than done), it can be boosted very quickly via Interrogation as soon as match making has paired up both groups of 4.

That’s just as bad as going for Posse Up and Kingpin in Red Dead Redemption. 

I hear the DLC multiplayer is fairly easy on the PS4. It’s the PS3 that requires boosting. 

9 minutes ago, Spaz said:

That’s just as bad as going for Posse Up and Kingpin in Red Dead Redemption. 

I hear the DLC multiplayer is fairly easy on the PS4. It’s the PS3 that requires boosting. 

you technically only need 6 to start a match, it's pretty easy to find people though, especially if they have multiple ps3s. I ran 3 when I did the dlc

1 hour ago, SnowxSakura said:

you technically only need 6 to start a match, it's pretty easy to find people though, especially if they have multiple ps3s. I ran 3 when I did the dlc

There’s no worry of hackers or glitchers right?

Always ran into them when I played Red Dead Redemption.

42 minutes ago, Spaz said:

I honestly don't know, the few times random got into our lobby because someone disconnected, they were usually some absurdly high rank, but didn't do anything out of the ordinary

Thanks for the responses guys.

1 hour ago, SnowxSakura said:

I honestly don't know, the few times random got into our lobby because someone disconnected, they were usually some absurdly high rank, but didn't do anything out of the ordinary

Yeah that sounds a lot like Red Dead Redemption. Generally people would leave the session about midway through and someone else who wasn't on the team at the start would be the replacement.

I don't think The Last of Us has 8 vs 8 battles. Having 16 players on at once on Red Dead was pretty dang fun I will admit.

1 hour ago, LethalBlade26 said:

I recently did the Last of Us for ps3 and there are still active people playing on it. If anything you will bump into the same people since I'm assuming the player base is small. Other than that i say have fun, since the multiplayer for that game is fun!

Well as long as it's not like the same 3 - 5 people for every single match. I don't mind randoms popping up on occasion, I just don't like to play multiplayer when it's practically dead and you HAVE to boost for the online trophies.

8 hours ago, Spaz said:

Thanks for the responses guys.

Yeah that sounds a lot like Red Dead Redemption. Generally people would leave the session about midway through and someone else who wasn't on the team at the start would be the replacement.

I don't think The Last of Us has 8 vs 8 battles. Having 16 players on at once on Red Dead was pretty dang fun I will admit.

Well as long as it's not like the same 3 - 5 people for every single match. I don't mind randoms popping up on occasion, I just don't like to play multiplayer when it's practically dead and you HAVE to boost for the online trophies.

At least this game is faster boosting than actually playing it since you have to play around 168 matches for both trophies

There are still plenty of people playing the game online. The base game trophies can be done easily alone however it would be a waste of time because if you're boosting the DLC trophies in a group you'll get journey trophies along even faster. I was part of a huge boosting session of 30 people or so. And the start was a bit chaotic but once everyone knew what to do it becomes a much faster process. I think it took me about one week doing all the multiplayer trophies.

I also recommend to read a guide on the journey trophies if you're going after them because you can screw up pretty fast in the middle of a journey and that would turn couple of hours of work into nothing.

Did 100% RDR but Last of Us multiplayer trophies are much easier compared to Red Dead and certainly less glitchy. I still wake up in the middle of a night covered in sweat because of the Kingpin and Po Po Poker face trophies.

Edited by DonGurke93

On 3/19/2018 at 2:37 AM, Spaz said:

I bought The Last of Us on PS3 a long while back but never got fully around to the multiplayer. I played single player for a bit on one of my alts and it was excellent. Shouldn’t be a problem going after the single player trophies. 

I believe for this version you have to boost for the DLC trophies. But I don’t know how active the multiplayer is if you just want to get the three multiplayer trophies out of the way in the base game. 

I thought about doing this game this summer to get the multiplayer out of the way so I don’t have to worry about it. 

But does this version on PS3 still have plenty of active players online?

i still from this day play TLOU MP after completing 15 journeys because its one of those MPs that i like playing with/or without friends.

MP is alive as hell when it comes to Supply Raid

Interrogation is ok

Survivors had me a hard time finding players

Supply Raid (DLC) is the only place where you can find players the other 2 game modes are dead.

MP is easily boostable with 8 players.

5 minutes ago, TheGwynbleidd said:

I have completed the mp for the PS3 version. Why is PS4 easier?

It’ll be because everyone on PS4 has the dlc maps as standard, as they are built in to that version, so you aren’t having to ensure everyone has installed dlc to get the maps to show up

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TheGwynbleidd said:

I have completed the mp for the PS3 version. Why is PS4 easier?

Because they changed the DLC trophy requirements to not require you to get the downs without dying yourself. As a trade-off however you have to get 5 downs rather than 3, which is still the more reasonable option.

Edited by NamoPh
  • Like 2

31 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

It’ll be because everyone on PS4 has the dlc maps as standard, as they are built in to that version, so you aren’t having to ensure everyone has installed dlc to get the maps to show up

29 minutes ago, NamoPh said:

Because they changed the DLC trophy requirements to not require you to get the downs without dying yourself. As a trade-off however you have to get 5 downs rather than 3, which is still the more reasonable option.

I see, seems easier that way. I may consider doing the mp stuff this summer.

Edited by TheGwynbleidd

To answer the op's question, it wasn't too hard to find a game when I plated the PS3 version back in early 2016. However, if people are still playing, most of them will have levels in the triple digits, so like me you should probably work under the assumption that you won't be getting too many kills. As a result I would strongly recommend against playing Supply Raid, because in contrast to what the name suggests it is extremely stingy with the supplies it gives you. My population took a hard hit while going for the Knowing the Basics trophy.

Survivors on the other hand is very friendly towards support roles, because thanks to the round system the resources respawn, giving you a lot of opportunities to gain points via crafting and gifting. Gifts that you make also persist through rounds, so you can safely assume that you will be able to gift them to a random teammate at the start of next round and receive points for that act. So for your build you should take all of the skills that improve your crafting and gifting, and use your remaining points for the skill that allows you to bandage teammates, because there's a lot of easy points in that too. Plus unlike self-healing, healing a teammate does not actually require you to have the consumable bandages.

For your 100% risk missions the easiest would probably be gifting items for the reasons I explained above. I can't exactly remember what my second mission of choice was when the requirements for the first got too high, probably healing other players.

I got pretty good at the game by the end of my journeys, giving even the veteran players a run for their money and even getting some proud kills despite playing support. You should take some care for your build with regards to what items you pre-set to be able to spend supplies on within matches. Note that spending the supplies in the matches does not actually deduct them from the ones you receive at the end of each match, so it's safe to spend them all. Armour and the Grenade Launcher were pretty good options for me.

I hope my wall of text will be of some help to people looking to play this legit. Doing both Journeys requires way too many matches, but it was the least annoying multiplayer to play legit in my trophy hunting career so far.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2018 at 9:33 PM, Spaz said:

been working on the journey trophies legitimately here lol but not rushing, This was the first MP on PS3 I played like 4 years ago since my internet is so crappy where I live. Did not play this for years but recently just came back so I can finish it. I probably play like 3 "days" of matches one day once a month or so. 

Midway thru the last journey now, so far I've only encountered 1 hacker that was unkillable and it was fairly recent too like last month. 

Even if u shivved the player, his/her character got right back up and acted as if nothing was wrong LOL. 

That character had an infinite supply of nail bomb and infinite ammo too. if that person was on the opposing team, your team was definitely gonna lose. What was funny was that even if he/she was unkillable, when he/she didn't bandage himself/herself, the character would start to do the keel over animation but then snap right back up like every 2 seconds O.o

4 hours ago, oOMementoMoriOo said:

been working on the journey trophies legitimately here lol but not rushing, This was the first MP on PS3 I played like 4 years ago since my internet is so crappy where I live. Did not play this for years but recently just came back so I can finish it. I probably play like 3 "days" of matches one day once a month or so. 

Midway thru the last journey now, so far I've only encountered 1 hacker that was unkillable and it was fairly recent too like last month. 

Even if u shivved the player, his/her character got right back up and acted as if nothing was wrong LOL. 

That character had an infinite supply of nail bomb and infinite ammo too. if that person was on the opposing team, your team was definitely gonna lose. What was funny was that even if he/she was unkillable, when he/she didn't bandage himself/herself, the character would start to do the keel over animation but then snap right back up like every 2 seconds O.o

hackers in TLOU are EXTREMELY rare. im level 190 with 13 or 14 journeys done and i encountered 3 or 4 hackers through all of my time in the MP.

if its just the Journey trophies you are after, then yes its doable with randoms. You only need to worry about the 100% risk missions if I remember correctly so just make sure you keep the easy challenges for them. If you are after the DLC as well I would look to get a group together, its much easier boosting. It is also easier because a lot of people dont vote for the maps you need ?

Edited by SirPigFace

The MP trophies in the base list are definitely doable legit, however the DLC trophies is where the difficulty lies in. Even when i played the DLC back when it had just released, there were just a few people in the pool, i would always find the same people (in parties) and these players had pretty high levels.

I'd suggest you to boost the DLC trophies, and while you are doing it work on the base list trophies too. Then keep playing alone without boosting if you want, finishing the "journey" takes more time than effort, only when a mission is at 100% danger is when you actually have to "try", but even then you can just pick an easy option, like to heal team mates or gift team mates, which can be completed in just one match.

The difficulty of the DLC trophies come from the fact that you cannot die while the game has many 1-shot mechanics, a Molotov, a Shiv kill on you, or a sniper headshot can all 1-shot you, and everyone spam these things and/or have access to it. There's also the many paid DLC weapons which i have no idea how their dps is, but i found them very annoying to deal with when i played back then. Personally, the Molotov always seemed to be the thing that would get me when i played the DLC maps.

And that's also another thing, playing the DLC maps. The lobby votes on what the next map will be, so most of the time you will not be playing on the map you want, and it gets worse the more 3-0 trophies you have. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, oOMementoMoriOo said:

This is a problem for me too. But since I was able to invest 200 - 300 some odd hours into Red Dead Redemption multiplayer I shouldn't have issues with The Last of Us.

17 hours ago, SniperEliteDido said:

hackers in TLOU are EXTREMELY rare. im level 190 with 13 or 14 journeys done and i encountered 3 or 4 hackers through all of my time in the MP.

That's good. Because RdR is just riddled with hackers. If it wasn't I probably would of had all the DLC trophies by now.

16 hours ago, ghostly-legend said:

Simply yes. 

Take easy challenges for the 100% risk. Easy ones for me were:  marks & crafting on public matches.

other ones are alot more risky imo, but they are possible

Does this include the DLC or just the base game trophies?

16 hours ago, SirPigFace said:

if its just the Journey trophies you are after, then yes its doable with randoms. You only need to worry about the 100% risk missions if I remember correctly so just make sure you keep the easy challenges for them. If you are after the DLC as well I would look to get a group together, its much easier boosting. It is also easier because a lot of people dont vote for the maps you need 1f604.png

I tend to hate having to boost with several people, but I hear you need at least six people to do this correctly. Still there is always the chance that someone disconnects or leaves early, which always frustrates me in a multiplayer game.

16 hours ago, renatabls said:

The MP trophies in the base list are definitely doable legit, however the DLC trophies is where the difficulty lies in. Even when i played the DLC back when it had just released, there were just a few people in the pool, i would always find the same people (in parties) and these players had pretty high levels.

I'd suggest you to boost the DLC trophies, and while you are doing it work on the base list trophies too. Then keep playing alone without boosting if you want, finishing the "journey" takes more time than effort, only when a mission is at 100% danger is when you actually have to "try", but even then you can just pick an easy option, like to heal team mates or gift team mates, which can be completed in just one match.

The difficulty of the DLC trophies come from the fact that you cannot die while the game has many 1-shot mechanics, a Molotov, a Shiv kill on you, or a sniper headshot can all 1-shot you, and everyone spam these things and/or have access to it. There's also the many paid DLC weapons which i have no idea how their dps is, but i found them very annoying to deal with when i played back then. Personally, the Molotov always seemed to be the thing that would get me when i played the DLC maps.

And that's also another thing, playing the DLC maps. The lobby votes on what the next map will be, so most of the time you will not be playing on the map you want, and it gets worse the more 3-0 trophies you have. 

The PS4 version does not require you to not die but you have to get five downs or executions. On the PS3 it's three downs or executions without dying, so it's definitely harder.

Yeah it looks like boosting is almost mandatory.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...