Steam vs Playstation

Borsuk_2

PC gaming have much cheaper digital games overall (when there are sales) and have more options/settings but i cant get into steam achivements cuz they dont have the same bling as Trophies (also TrueSteamAchievemts arent that user friendly and pretty as PSNProfiles)... um, change my mind?

I think I'd probably be getting into achievements on Xbox if there was an Xbox version of this website, with ultra rare achievements and fastest achievers for Xbox games. I'd still be moving to Xbox if Sony fucks up big time and gets rid of PSN for PS3, but I'd like a good achievement tracker. If I played PC games, I wouldn't be getting into the achievements because PC modding is very popular and people could use it for achievements, so it wouldn't really be a fair system. It's not really a good place to ask people about Steam Achievements when the website mainly focuses on PSN Trophies. But the sales are leagues above PlayStation, but that's likely because of the hardware required to run PC games, you do need to meet certain requirements for your hardware to play the games, but when you own a console every game should be running on it. 

• Like 3

I have only 2 games on Steam for which i looked for some achievements (Skyrim) or all in a game (A New Beginning)... i played a bit on PS3 without thinking about trophies but in the middle of 2015 i found this website (psnp) and that was the beginning of my new hobby - trophy hunting :D ... and i like the :platinum: icon next to so many of my games i've played...

So thx to @Sly Ripper and all the mods for your work here :)

So yeah maybe you can buy games even cheaper on Steam than on PS, but i like the easy system i can play PS3, PSV or PS4 games if i buy them (exception VR titles by now)

• Like 2

Overall now when im older i need something more to justify time spend on gaming and trophy/achivement system fit the bill. I started on Xbox but Sony have better exclusives. Still i would like to play PC/Xbox exclusives too, but i just waiting when they appear on PS.

Personally I prefer console games, even if they are more expensive, because it's cheaper than maintaining a gaming PC. As a result my computer just has to be able to run PowerPoint and Word and it does all I need. 

Plus it's easier to game on a console than a PC with a little one in my lap. I will admit that's a big factor in my decisions as well these days. 

PC does have ready access to mods and the like, though, which I see as a major point in its favor, even though I have never played a modded game myself. I know there are some really nice ones out there, especially on Bethesda titles. 

• Like 1

Anno , Civ , Stellaris . Games i would only play on Pc . I was thinking many times about starting steam archievments but i have sooooo many games on console, so i only play games on steam whenn they will never be released on PS.

Not gonna touch the Early access area tho

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, SolarCat02 said:

As a result my computer just has to be able to run PowerPoint and Word and it does all I need.

Yeah, my PC also have only iGPU now ;P I was thinking even on shrinking more, but still its cheaper to hold on to ATX box

3 minutes ago, Xionx said:

Anno , Civ , Stellaris . Games i would only play on Pc . I was thinking many times about starting steam archievments but i have sooooo many games on console, so i only play games on steam whenn they will never be released on PS.

Not gonna touch the Early access area tho

When i had Xbox One EA Access was great, wish something like Xbox Game Pass was on PS4 cuz i missed so many PS Plus games (member only since 2015) even PS Now isnt available yet for me

I've been a pc gamer, I've done the whole up keep on it, the repairs alone could have bought me a couple PS4s. I also took care of it, just had bad luck with it. Personally I can't justify the upkeep on it compared to my ps4 being nearly as old and still running. 

It really just comes down to personal preference. I couldn't ever get myself to care about steam achievements as mentioned earlier by someone about mods being able to cheat your way through. I now only play on my old pc gaming rig for mmos (which I don't play on pc atm) and for League of Legends occasionally. 

That trophy popping sound is also like the most satisfying thing ever imho. ?

Edited by LordSlashington
  • Like 1

Steam, cheap sales aside, is just a mess.  I'm not really there anymore after my 4-5 years of exclusively gaming on PC... but I continue to frequent my friend feed on there for general gaming talk and people are griping about legitimate issues with Valve and Steam constantly.  Their site, client and backends need a major rewrite but instead they seem to keep cramming new updates in that no one asked for.  Partly because nothing could possibly compete with them on the PC at this point, so laziness has crept in.

Not to mention they've made a lot of changes lately like region blocking on gifts and disabling saving gifts to your Steam inventory that limit the avenues to get games as absurdly cheap as we have in the past (granted they were probably valid changes to make on their end since people took complete advantage of regional price differences).  Gone are the days of buying games cheap and stashing them away to trade though... or getting new $60 releases for $17 and change.  Also, a casualty of this, gone are the days sending gifts to friends in different regions (depending on the region), kind of defeating the purpose of the gifting feature in the first place.  Instead of finding a way to keep the functionality intact and fix around the pricing exploits... Valve just chose to disable gifting outright in some cases.  Which is kind of their MO lately.  Fix something no one asked for, and break something users actually care about.  It's much worse than whatever quirks have found their way onto PSN or Xbox Live.

Bundles are still out there, but between Steams own restrictions inflating the price of new games back to the norm and bundles generally being overloaded with shovelware... the prices for decent games on PC really aren't so much better than what you'd find on the consoles storefronts in regards to sales and PS+/Xbox Live Gold offerings these days.

Quality control on Steam is nonexistent.  Which I'm on the fence about... since I don't think Valve should decide for everyone what constitutes a "good" or "bad" game, but it's obviously gotten out of hand.

Achievements are a complete afterthought and a joke.  "Achievement spam" games that unlock thousands of them just for turning the game on.  Applications exist to literally unlock achievements at a click of a button since there's no security around it.  Another area Valve could probably overhaul, but why bother at this point.  It's way too far gone.  IMO, it's the least of Steams problems though.

Considering Valve/Steam serve the "master race" of gamers... despite being more feature rich, the quirks of their platform are a little less excusable IMO.  But that's kind of PC gaming in a nutshell.  Lots of features and options, but where and when those features actually work is such a moving target that it almost doesn't matter.

Edited by Dreakon13

1 hour ago, Dreakon13 said:

Not to mention they've made a lot of changes lately like region blocking on gifts and disabling saving gifts to your Steam inventory that limit the avenues to get games as absurdly cheap as we have in the past (granted they were probably valid changes to make on their end since people took complete advantage of regional price differences).  Gone are the days of buying games cheap and stashing them away to trade though... or getting new $60 releases for $17 and change.  Also, a casualty of this, gone are the days sending gifts to friends in different regions (depending on the reason), kind of defeating the purpose of the gifting feature in the first place.

That's a real bummer. I have hang-ups with digital items anyway and everyone kept telling me Steam solves that by allowing people to gift away any games in their library. I was hoping Valve would be the company that pushed for Digital First Sale Doctrine Rights in the US, but now it looks like that chance has completely gone away.

25 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

That's a real bummer. I have hang-ups with digital items anyway and everyone kept telling me Steam solves that by allowing people to gift away any games in their library. I was hoping Valve would be the company that pushed for Digital First Sale Doctrine Rights in the US, but now it looks like that chance has completely gone away.

I could be wrong but I don't think they ever let you gift away games in your library.  Once you buy a game and add it to your library, it's yours barring a refund situation.  (There are features to share games among other accounts that you personally verify/trust... which is hit and miss on how well it works since many games require additional activation outside of Steam, ie. most Ubisoft games... but even when it does the games are still tied solely to your account in the end.)

However, there is an inventory system where at one point you could buy games, not use them, and just keep them laying around for a rainy day.  Maybe buy a game on sale and save it in your inventory to send to a friend on the day of their birthday coming up, or something.  They've since removed that option (likely as part of the effort to stop people from exploiting different regional pricing situations), so now you have to send the gifts directly to the person as of the moment you buy it.  And it'll flat out stop you from sending it altogether in certain situations involving regional restrictions.

Edited by Dreakon13

2 hours ago, LordSlashington said:

I've been a pc gamer, I've done the whole up keep on it, the repairs alone could have bought me a couple PS4s. I also took care of it, just had bad luck with it. Personally I can't justify the upkeep on it compared to my ps4 being nearly as old and still running. 

Yeah same reason here. I just want to buy a console, set it, and forget it!

Edited by Super Sand Virginia

8 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

Consoles. All the way.

@Super Sand Virginia: Are you playing off of "Super Sand Vagina"? Because that is what I see when I read your screenname.xD

I played a lot of PC games growing up and they were fun, but yeah mostly consoles all the way.

Nah lol. Look at the videos in my About Me or in my recent status update were The High Ground is talking to me. Don't want to link video here since it is irrelevant to this thread <3

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

Wow I didn't know this. So if I make a separate account (with a much better username), can I gift the games from my old account to the new one and save me from having to re-purchase them?

10 minutes ago, Zolkovo said:

Wow I didn't know this. So if I make a separate account (with a much better username), can I gift the games from my old account to the new one and save me from having to re-purchase them?

I don't believe you've ever been able to do this on Steam.

Though you can freely change your Steam ID/username.

55 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

I could be wrong but I don't think they ever let you gift away games in your library.  Once you buy a game and add it to your library, it's yours barring a refund situation.  (There are features to share games among other accounts that you personally verify/trust... which is hit and miss on how well it works since many games require additional activation outside of Steam, ie. most Ubisoft games... but even when it does the games are still tied solely to your account in the end.)

However, there is an inventory system where at one point you could buy games, not use them, and just keep them laying around for a rainy day.  Maybe buy a game on sale and save it in your inventory to send to a friend on the day of their birthday coming up, or something.  They've since removed that option (likely as part of the effort to stop people from exploiting different regional pricing situations), so now you have to send the gifts directly to the person as of the moment you buy it.  And it'll flat out stop you from sending it altogether in certain situations involving regional restrictions.

I had a feeling those Steam zealots were just making stuff up, but I didn't really question them, nor was I ever going to start a Steam account to attempt it.

11 minutes ago, Zolkovo said:

No, looks like that isn't possible. People were telling me that, but I never fact-checked it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Dreakon13 said:

I don't believe you've ever been able to do this on Steam.

Though you can freely change your Steam ID/username.

Ah, the Steam ID change appears to be a premium feature. Thanks for the info though :)

EDIT: Nevermind, there's a lot of misinformation out there. You can't change your Steam ID, but you can freely change your display name which are two very different things. Official source:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1558-qyax-1965

Edited by Zolkovo

26 minutes ago, Zolkovo said:

Ah, the Steam ID change appears to be a premium feature. Thanks for the info though :)

Is it?

I think you "unlock" certain social features like the IM/web chat and certain other things (possibly the name change) once you've spent $5 in the store.  In an attempt to prevent new accounts and bots from harassing people.  So I guess that wouldn't surprise me.

26 minutes ago, Zolkovo said:

EDIT: Nevermind, there's a lot of misinformation out there. You can't change your Steam ID, but you can freely change your display name which are two very different things. Official source:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=1558-qyax-1965

Not sure why you'd really care to change the numeric ID they give you, or the account name.  The display name and custom URL ID (both of which can be changed) are what others see.  Though you're correct, there are underlying identifiers you can't change.

Edited by Dreakon13

7 hours ago, DaivRules said:

Don't choose. Do both.

I'm with you.  No PS4 means missing its exclusive titles.  I also have the Xbox One, but don't really have too many games on it other than some I've already bought for 360 (Strania: The Stella Machina is good, hope they bring it to PS4). 

Steam & GOG have more than a few PC exclusives.  Origin has some but not as much.  I'll go with the PC version of a multi-platform game if it's better than the PS4 one.   Some multis I'll play on PS4 like King of Fighters XIV.   I tried Tomb Raider Definitive Edition for PS4, and it holds its own against the PC one, at least on the Pro in Boost mode.