Indiana Jones 5 to Begin Filming Next Year

Bullstomp

http://m.ign.com/articles/2018/03/19/steven-spielberg-indiana-jones-5-to-begin-shooting-next-year

I read this article and gave my strongest cringe of 2018 so far. To be clear:

- I love the first 3, have seen each of them so many times.

- I absolutely loathed the 4th one.

- I can't fathom how Harrison Ford works in this one. And no one can match him for his ability and charm.

- AT LEAST Shia LaBoeuf won't be in this one; in my opinion he was awful in 4.

What do you all think?

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bullstomp said:

http://m.ign.com/articles/2018/03/19/steven-spielberg-indiana-jones-5-to-begin-shooting-next-year

I read this article and gave my strongest cringe of 2018 so far. To be clear:

- I love the first 3, have seen each of them so many times.

- I absolutely loathed the 4th one.

- I can't fathom how Harrison Ford works in this one. And no one can match him for his ability and charm.

- AT LEAST Shia LaBoeuf won't be in this one; in my opinion he was awful in 4.

What do you all think?

Is there anyone who liked the 4th one? I honestly wondered if George Lucas was suffering from some mental illness when I saw it. What an ungodly mess.

Indy is great. Raiders of the Lost Ark is one of my all-time favorite movies. Last Crusade is a lot of fun, and even Temple of Doom is pretty good (once you get over the awful Kate Capshaw). But I have very little confidence for this one.

HOWEVER, I also had little confidence in Blade Runner 2049, and that movie was damn good, so who knows?

• Like 1

Absolutely love the Indiana Jones series.

I own the DVD collection that includes the first three and watched them many times as well.

As I get older, I'm finding Part 2 (Yes, the unusual choice for many) to be my favorite, but I love all three.

I saw part 4 in theaters and it felt a little off. I am going to have to watch it several more times to fully reach a decision if I dislike it or not.

So Part 5 is coming, cool!!!! Hope it's good lol...

Edited by Super Sand Virginia
  • Like 1

The Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was definitely the worst one for me, but still enjoyable and better than nothing. And, comparing them to their respective prequels, a lot better than Star Wars Episodes VII and VIII. I don't have very high hopes for a fifth one, but I don't think I need to consider it a failure/insult to Indy's legacy/whatever just yet.

• Like 2

I enjoyed the 4th one for what it was, I mean, people seem to give it crap because it wasn't up to par with the other ones.  But eh, for me, it was still a neat adventure as is.  Sure, the whole alien thing in the end was an odd choice, but all in all, still was enjoyable to watch as is.  So I am curious on what the 5th one will be like and will probably watch it on DVD or something to see what it's like... not the cinema though, half the time it's too expensive to go there.

I loved the first 3 movies, well Temple of Doom less than Raiders of the Lost Ark and Last Crusade. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was passable. I was worried that they'd focus on Shia LaBoeuf taking over as the next Jones, so glad that isn't the case.

Edited by Dragon-Archon
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Kale said:

i may be the only one but i liked Indiana Jones 4 and the idea that Shia Labeouf's character would take the main role

I have to admit, you are the first I have heard to have this opinion. I am guessing most didn't feel the same since it is clear he is not coming back. Which begs the question if Mutt isn't grabbing Indy's torch than who is?

Sidebar: In your opinion, who would be a good choice for Indy to pass the torch to?

I think the best actor would be Chris Pine, he has a lot in common with Harrison Ford imo.

I thought Indy 4 was worse than the Star Wars prequels.

I will watch the new movie regardless. I've got a cinepass, so I'm more willing to watch something. Even I won't go to another Transformers movie though.

I don't think Indy should pass a torch to anyone, just leave it be. If they want to make similar movies, no need to force the 'Indiana Jones' label on it.

Edited by Riq IV
  • Like 1

The original 3 were definitely some of my favourite movies as a kid and still now. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was tolerable but had nothing on the originals.

Harrison Ford is an old man now, so how he is gonna get around and be Indy. Not that I think they should replace him, just need to leave it alone.

This is up there with them dragging more Star Wars movies out. But as long as people watch it and they make money, they'll keep flogging this.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Bullstomp said:

I have to admit, you are the first I have heard to have this opinion. I am guessing most didn't feel the same since it is clear he is not coming back. Which begs the question if Mutt isn't grabbing Indy's torch than who is?

Sidebar: In your opinion, who would be a good choice for Indy to pass the torch to?

I think the best actor would be Chris Pine, he has a lot in common with Harrison Ford imo.

i thought that Chris Pratt would be a good bet.

But like i said Shia LaBeouf would have been decent too

10 hours ago, gameoverDude189 said:

It wouldn't be easy to pick a replacement, but if they've done it for 007 ( I had some doubts that Daniel Craig was right to replace Pierce Brosnan at first, but he's actually not bad at all), then maybe it could work.

I think it makes a huge difference whether this has been an established process for longer than you or maybe even your parents have been alive or whether the role has been associated with a single actor for thirty years... That being said, if they started this now, maybe the generation of my potential grandchildren wouldn't be bothered by it (if they care for it at all). Also for James Bond there is a theory for this (something about 007 simply being assigned to a new agent when the previous one is no longer around, I think), that probably wouldn't work here.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Karlsson89 said:

I think it makes a huge difference whether this has been an established process for longer than you or maybe even your parents have been alive or whether the role has been associated with a single actor for thirty years... That being said, if they started this now, maybe the generation of my potential grandchildren wouldn't be bothered by it (if they care for it at all). Also for James Bond there is a theory for this (something about 007 simply being assigned to a new agent when the previous one is no longer around, I think), that probably wouldn't work here.

There are options that don't involve "replacing" Ford.

Here's how I see the current options.

1. End the series with 5. Kill off Indy or have him retire.

2. Reboot the series with a younger actor. This could happen along with 1, after waiting a few years.

3. Make prequel movies with a younger actor. Since River Phoenix is gone, they'd have to use somebody else obviously.

4. Continue the series with a different character.

4 is the only option that has to replace Indy, and it could be done in a sensible way. You could call the next movie "Raiders of the Jade Monkey with Indy Jr" or something. The connection would be there without necessarily calling it Indiana Jones. I think that might have been the original idea with Mutt Williams, but with Shia being "himself" that seems unlikely now.

The problem with number 3 is, that's already been done with Young Indiana Jones Chronicles in the 90's. Spielberg and Lucas are both getting old, and I can't really see them wanting to crank out movies without Ford at this point. Maybe once all 3 of them tune out of the franchise, we'll see it rebooted and/or continued with new people. And I hope I am dead before that day comes. :)

Personally, my preferred option is number 1. I liked Indy 4 just fine as a fun way to see Indy again after a long absence. That's all I need out of Indy 5, not a true classic to compete with Raiders and Crusade as the best of the series. Let's be honest, no matter how good of a movie they make, it can't get to that point with Ford unable to run around like a younger man.

On 3/19/2018 at 3:08 PM, Bullstomp said:

The group of people I saw Indy 4 with liked it. We went in expecting a decent time, and that's what we got.

As for Mutt, I don't think the character was the problem; it was Shia. He has... issues being a reasonable human being.

I think Chris Pine would be fine in an Indy-like role, but I think Chris Pratt (as mentioned) is a better choice. He has even more in common with Ford too, since they both got into acting by accident, and became the ideal image of the "handsome everyman".

Edited by MosesRockefeller
  • Like 2

On 3/22/2018 at 2:42 AM, Karlsson89 said:

That's a good point, with Ford as Indy since Raiders. Quite a different situation than 007, where none of the actors have kept the Bond part nearly that long.

On 3/22/2018 at 2:03 PM, MosesRockefeller said:

Here's how I see the current options.

1. End the series with 5. Kill off Indy or have him retire.

2. Reboot the series with a younger actor. This could happen along with 1, after waiting a few years.

3. Make prequel movies with a younger actor. Since River Phoenix is gone, they'd have to use somebody else obviously.

4. Continue the series with a different character.

I'd rather have Indy retire at the end of 5 than get killed off.  Let's not get too bleak for a sendoff film.   This prequel idea sounds like it could work, just not exactly as #3.  To avoid it being more of YIJC, just don't go too far back in time (keep it only about 1-2 years before Raiders).

5 hours ago, gameoverDude189 said:

That's a good point, with Ford as Indy since Raiders. Quite a different situation than 007, where none of the actors have kept the Bond part nearly that long.

Yeah, but with Bond movies we always had a new one every couple of years, and no actors want to stick around making movies in a single film series that long almost back-to-back (not even Roger Moore). If the Bond series had had a 19-year break after only the 3rd film, it's quite likely that we would have seen Sean Connery back in action for one more adventure, and maybe one final one 10-ish years after that. 

I'd rather have Indy retire at the end of 5 than get killed off.  Let's not get too bleak for a sendoff film.

I'd rather see him retire too. He deserves to relax with Marion (and maybe they can show a picture of Mutt in college or something) and hang up his hat. Ford wanted Han Solo to be killed off, but maybe he doesn't feel the same about Indy. 

This prequel idea sounds like it could work, just not exactly as #3.  To avoid it being more of YIJC, just don't go too far back in time (keep it only about 1-2 years before Raiders).

That already happened... it was called Temple of Doom. Don't forget, that was a prequel to Raiders. The problem I see with being shortly before Temple, is that the difference in actors would be too obvious. It's the same issue that the Han Solo prequel movie has. It worked so well with River Phoenix in Crusade (and YIJC) because it was a lot earlier. 

Edited by MosesRockefeller

9 minutes ago, MosesRockefeller said:

That already happened... it was called Temple of Doom. Don't forget, that was a prequel to Raiders. The problem I see with being shortly before Temple, is that the difference in actors would be too obvious. It's the same issue that the Han Solo prequel movie has. It worked so well with River Phoenix in Crusade (and YIJC) because it was a lot earlier. 

In YIJC he was 16-21, & 36 in TOD, I'm sure.  I'll admit the 1-2 year gap is a little too short, so maybe having him be 26 (10 yrs. before Temple, while old enough to not be YIJC) might work.