Good PS4 games with awful trophy sets.

AloneBert-

Hey, guys. I'm sorry if there similar topic already exist but I haven't found it. 

First of all, yes, of course, we have to PLAY AND ENJOY GAMES, not TROPHIES.

But just tried many games recently and understood that there are many games nowadays which I want just to play without caring about trophies or get trophies only partially because devs make wrong balance in trophy sets or put bad parts into a game.

Let's discuss which games you decide to play anyway though you understood that you won't put your effort to get 100%.

For me it's:

Doom. Honestly, I like old-style FPS, I really liked Wolfenstein The New Order and I still like Wolfenstein II even with hard Mein Leben part but DOOM is just a dissapointment. Great graphics, interesting level design, well-optimized but the whole trophy set is just boring. Getting all collectibles (so many-many-many different items) wasn't fun for me mostly because this game have same strategy with closed door which open after you clean all enemies while in original you could rush it all (if you could survive). But that's not so bad... worst part is DLC after last patch. So many EXP needed to just unlock all things to be able to get that trophies so that's ridiculous. I doubt that I'll finish it.

Deus Ex - Mankind Divided. So great plot, really. Very clever, social themes inside modern game is really rare nowadays. But... so many missables (ok, no problems), so many conditional trophies for completing game (no alarms, no kills, hard difficulty)... well okay... breach mode in base game... eh... great but ok.... BUT 2 more DLC only for BREACH mode that's a bullshit... I just realise that I have no wish even to go to 100%.

No Man's Sky - though I haven't played it all and I even won't go for platinum I can say for sure that these dlc trophies is a pain...

I want to hear your example of different PS4 games (mostly for famous aaa games) which brought you same feelings.

Edited by PlayAsGod

Final Fantasy IX - It's easily by favorite Final Fantasy, but the trophy list is garbage. In addition to the awful mini-game and grind trophies, the Treasure Hunter and Movie Critic trophies basically require you to play through the game with a guide, killing what's effectively the best part of the game - immersing yourself in its whimsical and wonderful world. 

Additionally, Dragon Quest Heroes II and Dragon Ball FighterZ are two great games whose trophy lists are hurt by dumb grinds.  

• Like 2

Yes, Final Fantasy and other Japan style RPG is very grindy((( 

I managed to finish KH1 but not sure that I won't to go for Kingdom Heartcs Chains of Memories (when you already know plot and it have almost same basis like original game). I even decided not continue Kingdom Hearts 0.2, just got half trophies and other are just pointless for me (the game isn't replayable for me).

As for the last of us I understand your position but at least it have decent MP and not pay-to-win like Uncharted 4 DLC (this is also one good example for me).

I can say that Naughty Dog are very greedy in that type of thing (or Sony force them, who knows). Several years ago I bought UC3 GOTY EDITION disc and found out that dlc already on disc but online pass still came as code so no difference cause all dlc are online... was pretty dissapointed.TLOU on PS3 even didn't get GOTY edition so basically it was more comfortable and cheaper to play that game on PS4 when remaster came out.

• Like 1

Gauntlet. It's a great remake/re-imagining/re-whateverthefuck of the original, but some of the trophies are ridiculous. The trophies for killing 15,000 of each enemy are ultra rare for a reason. Even after beating the game on normal and hard, getting to floor 50 in endless mode, and doing some of the other miscellaneous trophies, I didn't even have a fourth of the kills required for most of them. Did I mention that it has to be done as one character? Not only that, but there are trophies for doing exactly what you shouldn't, like destroying food 500 times. Whoever was responsible for this trophy list must've not played the game much.

• Like 2

I am not really fond of Mortal Kombat X's list. 

I mean there are all these stupid trophies like jump a bunch of times in a match or get a 1000 hits in the Elite Boss Battle (which can be done over as many rounds as you like) but there is no trophy for clearing the Krypt or beating the game with every fighter.

I would much rather have trophies that encouraged you to play the whole game as oppose to just doing a certain action a bunch of times.

• Like 4

1. Persona 5: So much grinding with this game and annoying things like Passionate listener trophy, true talent etc.

2. FFX: The chocobo trainer trophy, lightning dancer, maxing sphere grid etc. that contribute to 150+ hours of trophy hunting.

3. Tales of Berseria: A Solid B... horribly huge amount of repetitive and boring grinding, just using characters skills and artes thousands of times. Also, collecting all those katz spheres was boring and RNG.

4. World of FF: Getting all the mirages takes a lot of time and RNG luck with mini games. Also, opening all the treasure chests without looking at a guide map is very hard, also annoying for those who don't use guides. It's a cute game, too bad for the annoying trophies

5. FF9: The jump rope challenge... . 9/10 difficulty for such a great game.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Lava_Yuki said:

1. Persona 5: So much grinding with this game and annoying things like Passionate listener trophy, true talent etc.

2. FFX: The chocobo trainer trophy, lightning dancer, maxing sphere grid etc. that contribute to 150+ hours of trophy hunting.

I haven't played the other 3 games you mentioned but these 2 aren't really that bad. 

I mean Persona 5 isn't grinding...I never once had to grind in that game. As for Passionate listener that unlocked naturally for me. The only stupid trophy was the Hostage trophy only because that was luck based. 

FFX-all those trophies are centered around the Ultimate Weapons so those aren't bad requirements for a Platinum

Bad trophy lists are things that make you do things that you wouldn't do if you were playing the game normally. Not just things you don't like doing.

• Like 3

? People find TLOU trophy list bad - who would have thought.

On a PS3 MP trophies are a bit painful to get and might require boosting; other then that I think the game has a great trophy set.

For me it's any Souls games, don't get me wrong 90% of the trophies are awesome and fun to go after but there's always these missable "hidden side quests" tied to unlocking something. I just want to play the game without looking up a guide, damn it.

Edited by Skadoki
did I mention "missable"?
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, Cave_Johnson_ said:

Gauntlet. It's a great remake/re-imagining/re-whateverthefuck of the original, but some of the trophies are ridiculous. The trophies for killing 15,000 of each enemy are ultra rare for a reason. Even after beating the game on normal and hard, getting to floor 50 in endless mode, and doing some of the other miscellaneous trophies, I didn't even have a fourth of the kills required for most of them. Did I mention that it has to be done as one character? Not only that, but there are trophies for doing exactly what you shouldn't, like destroying food 500 times. Whoever was responsible for this trophy list must've not played the game much.

Maybe its just me but I don't remember having any issue going through this.  A little grinding for trophies at the end but this was my go to for mindless fun for a while and I just sat back and enjoyed killing.  I found the food trophy came naturally running around with the barbarian and doing spin attacks all over the place.

GTA V. I never really cared for the GTA series until V, then it quickly became one of my favorite games ever. I would love to have that plat on my list but I doubt it'll ever happen. I've even played through the campaign 6 or 7 times now, knowing I'll never get the plat, and I still love it.

Birth By Sleep is another one... F*** Ice Cream Beat lol.

This will be an unpopular opinion but I actually wish Burnout Paradise (both versions) had a much harder/challenging trophy list. Or at least the same as the xbox achievements. Trophies basically sh*t out of this game, which is a shame because it's probably still one of my all time favourites and I still play it to absolute completion both offline and online with or without the trophies.

So yeah imo bad lists aren't only about grindy or difficult lists, but also ones that are too easy at times and leave you potentially missing out on a lot of content if you're someone who likes to rush through the plats.

• Like 2

Nice thread

I'm going to have to say

Arkham Origins:

Game is fantastic imo but daaaaamn the online trophies were a paiiiin and nearly impossible if done legit. That and maxing out all faction Lvls + win in every map = downright insulting lol. 

SP had a no death mode which made it challenging but it can be easily cheesed

I stuck through it and thanks to some awesome guys here like KuroKami I managed to get everything and the plat :)

RDR:

Good luck getting all the mp trophies without boosting that's all I have to say. And Rockstar doubled down on the dlc trophies with mp :/. 

Max Payne 3:

Once again MP man... Payne ( :P ) in the butt to win on every map especially that the maps are random.. +getting to max lvl. 

Dead island Riptide: 

While I played dead island 1 only, looking at Riptide, there's a trophy for cooping the entire story mode which yea unless you don't have a dedicated friend won't happen :/.

Edited by PooPDeePie
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, PooPDeePie said:

Max Payne 3:

Once again MP man... Payne ( :P ) in the but to win on every map especially that the maps are random.. +getting to max lvl. 

Yeah I have to agree with you on this, that lvl 50 grind was torture man. Radio and/or podcasts are the only way to get through it if you're grinding out Score Attack.

Edited by Zolkovo
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, KingGuy420 said:

Birth By Sleep is another one... F*** Ice Cream Beat lol.

Ice cream beat is fine, IMO. You only have to do it completely with one character. What bugs me is having to do EVERYTHING ELSE three times. Just about done with one character, just need Mysterious Figure on Aqua... Then I get to grind all commands/abilities/finishers, do arena, extra bosses again, not one more time, but twice. And then I get to do it all again if I want to play it on PS4. Good thing I love this series, haha.

• Like 1

Celeste - Pretty much every trophy that could potentially have difficulty is nullified as the developers support invincibility to unlock trophies. Thus making the trophies nothing more than the average collectible.

Edited by Dark

12 minutes ago, Kevvik said:

Maybe its just me but I don't remember having any issue going through this.  A little grinding for trophies at the end but this was my go to for mindless fun for a while and I just sat back and enjoyed killing.  I found the food trophy came naturally running around with the barbarian and doing spin attacks all over the place.

"A little grinding for trophies at the end" is certainly not how I'd describe it, lol. Though I guess it's just a matter of perspective. The grind is nothing compared to some of the more notorious ones, like Star Ocean 4. But for me, Gauntlet is one of the worst I've done.

30 minutes ago, RNumbers said:

Ice cream beat is fine, IMO. You only have to do it completely with one character. What bugs me is having to do EVERYTHING ELSE three times. Just about done with one character, just need Mysterious Figure on Aqua... Then I get to grind all commands/abilities/finishers, do arena, extra bosses again, not one more time, but twice. And then I get to do it all again if I want to play it on PS4. Good thing I love this series, haha.

Ice Cream Beats difficulty wildly varies based on you're TV. The TV's video lag, the TV's audio lag, and the lag between the system and the controller all alter how hard ice cream beat is. While easy for some, it's borderline impossible for others. There's no "set difficulty" which makes it stupidly annoying.