Good PS4 games with awful trophy sets.

AloneBert-

Okay, I got a list...

1. Final Fantasy IX - The trophies really only cater to hardcore players who REALLY like trophies. Do they realize how many 10,000 enemies is? Or how speedruns spoil people's opinions on games (looking at you, ICO)?

2. Sonic Mania - Needs more trophies and a platinum. Pretty bland list IMO.

3. The Last Guardian - Speedrun trophies with a giant beast that constantly screws with your camera and doesn't do what you want. Perfect. Also, luck-based poop-related trophies are a no go.

4. Dark Cloud - Definitely TOO EASY. They should've been a trophy for the demon shaft bonus dungeon... LAME!

5. Dark Cloud 2 - Why must we get all the medals? I get the photography and invention trophy, but this is like 60 extra hours for what? A clown suit?

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Okay, I got a list...

1. Final Fantasy IX - The trophies really only cater to hardcore players who REALLY like trophies. Do they realize how many 10,000 enemies is? Or how speedruns spoil people's opinions on games (looking at you, ICO)?

ICO is a bad game with a horrible trophy list

• Like 4

Surprised nobody has mentioned Fortnite yet... innovative, explosively popular game with a giga-grind trophy list that has nothing to do with its mass appeal.

And I second Dark Cloud 2... amazing game. I wish they would just progress its gameplay forward two console generations and make a Dark Cloud 3 that just does the same things but better. But I am NOT going to grind spheda and monster form on every level, thank you very much.

Edited by rdhight
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Skadoki said:

1f914.png People find TLOU trophy list bad - who would have thought.

On a PS3 MP trophies are a bit painful to get and might require boosting; other then that I think the game has a great trophy set.

For me it's any Souls games, don't get me wrong 90% of the trophies are awesome and fun to go after but there's always these missable "hidden side quests" tied to unlocking something. I just want to play the game without looking up a guide, damn it.

Man I couldn't agree with you more. Missable trophies are the single most annoying thing especially if they're buried deep in the story. If we were to play without a guide (which I always prefer to do to engage myself in the game as much as possible), you'd have to add almost an entire extra playthrough because of these. And sometimes a game might not be good enough to really warrant that. One way to combat this is to look up missable ones in advance but they usually go hand in hand with spoilers.

Also yeah, I hated the TLoU online trophies at first but once I bothered to start not only is it quick, it's pretty fun too. Perhaps having to play through both factions for 13 weeks or whatever is unnecessary as the second time was the exact same experience. The PS3 version does have annoying DLC trophies tbf which are quite hard to get these days without boosting since 95% of the playerbase are hardcore vets.

Edited by Zolkovo

GTA V was probably the worst for me. The collectibles grinds were atrocious and as soon as I got that spaceship car thing after collecting all the parts it got stuck on a pile of tyres right outside the garage and the autosave started. Then I was having a decent amount of fun in multiplayer until about level 80 and then it was just a slow grind to 100. It sucks that my completion went down but I don't think I can go through the doomsday heist DLC. The heists were really fun but totally ruined by other players or everyone getting kicked back to the lobby if even one person quit.

The Last of Us multiplayer trophies are pretty quick, should probably get back to those. Got burned out from playing it because that's one of the few games that I constantly play while I'm away (PS3 / different account). It took me around a week, 2-3 hours casually playing everyday to get all the MP trophies on an older account. Grounded mode campaign had been really kicking my ass though. Have very little ammo as is, and missed the pistol shotgun weapon in the sewers. 

The Warriors has enough content for a lot more trophies, and a plat. the trophy list is terrible.

It's a shame that Burly Men At Sea became a game known for it's trophies, it's a fun game, but shouldn't have been given a plat.

1 hour ago, KingGuy420 said:

Ice Cream Beats difficulty wildly varies based on you're TV. The TV's video lag, the TV's audio lag, and the lag between the system and the controller all alter how hard ice cream beat is. While easy for some, it's borderline impossible for others. There's no "set difficulty" which makes it stupidly annoying.

Yea took me like 3 days to finally get pretty good at Ice Cream Beat 

tenor.gif?itemid=7954855

'Horizon Zero Dawn'. Widely accepted as having majestic graphics, wonderful character development and an immersive plot etc. Yet for me, it continues to slide down my backlog as a game to complete because the trophies are frankly a joke to attain (in one playthrough no less!) The DLC also did little to address this with many reporting (here and beyond) the ease in which they were able to breeze back through the entire game ON THE HIGHEST DIFFICULTY!

The more iconic and classic the video game? The more difficult, grindy and multiple playthrough's SHOULD be required to FULLY complete the entire story arc (at least from my perspective.) This is where titles such as 'The Last of Us', 'Grand Theft Auto V' and/or 'The Evil Within' (original only) truly struck the correct balance. Every such complaint about the length of time required to achieve the elusive 100% (platinum trophy being secondary) is further evidence the developer's hit gold. Without such regular and predictable moans of derision? One would instead be onto their next gaming quest which defeats the purpose. Make the game FANTASTIC enough so you replay it OR make the trophies impossible or long enough to ensure you STILL have to replay it (to attain the 100%.) Important to cover both bases.....

3 hours ago, Cave_Johnson_ said:

Gauntlet. It's a great remake/re-imagining/re-whateverthefuck of the original, but some of the trophies are ridiculous. The trophies for killing 15,000 of each enemy are ultra rare for a reason. Even after beating the game on normal and hard, getting to floor 50 in endless mode, and doing some of the other miscellaneous trophies, I didn't even have a fourth of the kills required for most of them. Did I mention that it has to be done as one character? Not only that, but there are trophies for doing exactly what you shouldn't, like destroying food 500 times. Whoever was responsible for this trophy list must've not played the game much.

I grinder that shit and I can tell you that by the end of it i hated the game and fucking deleted it right away. What a fucking disappointment to a great game! Rubber band the controller so it’s easier to get infinite kills man, fuck that game. 

46 minutes ago, TheFoundling said:

tenor.gif?itemid=7954855

'Horizon Zero Dawn'. Widely accepted as having majestic graphics, wonderful character development and an immersive plot etc. Yet for me, it continues to slide down my backlog as a game to complete because the trophies are frankly a joke to attain (in one playthrough no less!) The DLC also did little to address this with many reporting (here and beyond) the ease in which they were able to breeze back through the entire game ON THE HIGHEST DIFFICULTY!

The more iconic and classic the video game? The more difficult, grindy and multiple playthrough's SHOULD be required to FULLY complete the entire story arc (at least from my perspective.) This is where titles such as 'The Last of Us', 'Grand Theft Auto V' and/or 'The Evil Within' (original only) truly struck the correct balance. Every such complaint about the length of time required to achieve the elusive 100% (platinum trophy being secondary) is further evidence the developer's hit gold. Without such regular and predictable moans of derision? One would instead be onto their next gaming quest which defeats the purpose. Make the game FANTASTIC enough so you replay it OR make the trophies impossible or long enough to ensure you STILL have to replay it (to attain the 100%.) Important to cover both bases.....

Dude, everyone hates The Last Of Us’s trophy list for a fucking reason, GTA V truly hit a balance where you can get everything because the trophies acted as an exploration vessel towards the game so every time you unlock a trophy you do something new and fun, The Last Of Us fucking sucked and The Evil Within fucking sucked as well. Horizon Zero Dawn is an example of a perfect trophy list, they know you will love the game and keep it in your thoughts but you dont have the time for their game only so they made sure you only come to replay once (and that wasn’t even required for the plat). 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Cave_Johnson_ said:

"A little grinding for trophies at the end" is certainly not how I'd describe it, lol. Though I guess it's just a matter of perspective. The grind is nothing compared to some of the more notorious ones, like Star Ocean 4. But for me, Gauntlet is one of the worst I've done.

Sorry, everyone sees things differently so I wasn't deliberately trying to play down how you saw the end grind. I found the end game grind for MeiQ on Vita to be utterly pointless other than for the trophy as I completed everything else required in 1/3 the requisite kills, making the hours of useless battle/kill grind for the last few trophies serve absolutely no other purpose. Ruined the experience of an otherwise okay game.

1 hour ago, Beyondthegrave07 said:

Well, you are probably right. Though, any fondness for the game went down the toilet the second I tried the speedruns.

I have yet to see a full game speed run that I have enjoyed.  Ruins the whole point of the game.

Edited by Kevvik

Even though it's on PS3 Mortal Kombat 9 deserves a mention since it has one of the worst trophy lists out there mostly due to one trophy. "My Kung Fu is Stronger" is the most pointless, grindy, made to keep trophy hunters from trading in the game trophy.

Monster Hunter World also has a pretty bad list with too many trophies dependent on luck and RNG. 

I will somewhat agree with the person who mentioned Burnout Paradise Remastered. I'm happy you don't have to grind through everything like in the XBOX version but they could have put a bit more effort into the trophies especially the names and tiles.

Others mentioned that I agree with:

Last of Us

Star Ocean 4

Dark Cloud 2

Edited by Killbomb

24 minutes ago, Kevvik said:

Sorry, everyone sees things differently so I wasn't deliberately trying to play down how you saw the end grind. I found the end game grind for MeiQ on Vita to be utterly pointless other than for the trophy as I completed everything else required in 1/3 the requisite kills, making the hours of useless battle/kill grind for the last few trophies serve absolutely no other purpose. Ruined the experience of an otherwise okay game.

That's fine, I wasn't offended or anything like that. If you thought it wasn't that bad, then there is nothing wrong with saying so.

Another game I forgot to mention: Rocksmith 2014. Simply for the awful complete 500 missions trophy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Soufwar said:

I grinder that shit and I can tell you that by the end of it i hated the game and fucking deleted it right away. What a fucking disappointment to a great game! Rubber band the controller so it’s easier to get infinite kills man, fuck that game. 

Dude, everyone hates The Last Of Us’s trophy list for a fucking reason, GTA V truly hit a balance where you can get everything because the trophies acted as an exploration vessel towards the game so every time you unlock a trophy you do something new and fun, The Last Of Us fucking sucked and The Evil Within fucking sucked as well. Horizon Zero Dawn is an example of a perfect trophy list, they know you will love the game and keep it in your thoughts but you dont have the time for their game only so they made sure you only come to replay once (and that wasn’t even required for the plat). 

tenor.gif?itemid=5362498

We disagree which is fine and what makes the 'site interesting. Yet this is why i always include 'in my perspective' (or a suitable equivalent) because my thoughts/feelings/opinions are never gospel. Also important to note "everyone" does NOT "hate" the trophy list for 'The Last of Us' considering people such as myself, @SwampGas and numerous others actually exist (whilst remaining less vociferous and firmly in the minority!)

I reiterate my previous points and as someone whom NEVER plays online/multiplayer, i was absolutely dreading 'The Last of Us' firefly/hunter modes after putting 200+ hours into 4 full run's of the main game and frankly possessing limited abilities when it comes to shooters in general! Yet after 2 months of learning the leveling up system and meeting some awesome (NOT TO MENTION PATIENT) other like-minded players i had some of the most enjoyable experiences imaginable pursuing both sides of the respective firefly/hunter journeys. It is also satisfying to 100% such games that are a proverbial marathon, safe in the knowledge many others cannot and/or will not (either being the same in my mind.)

The thread is specifically about games that spring to mind which possess "awful trophy sets", this is why 'Horizon Zero Dawn' instantly jumps out because frankly it deserved better and a list that would have enticed (or coerced if needs be) players to stick with the journey 'TLOU' esque! Perhaps if future DLC provides that it will move up mine (and other players) backlog.

25 minutes ago, SwampGas said:

No... not EVERYONE hates that list, I got it twice (PS3/PS4) and enjoyed every moment of it.

Thank you for restoring my faith in gaming humanity! ?

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, TheFoundling said:

It is also satisfying to 100% such games that are a proverbial marathon, safe in the knowledge many others cannot and/or will not (either being the same in my mind.)

To me the issue is less about difficulty or length than about stupidity.

I am not against hard trophies or long trophy lists. There is an audience for those. What I am against is when the platinum stopper is something stupid.

Difficulty? Fine. Hundred percent completion marathon? Fine.

Boredom-based challenge? Not fine. "Find bad people to play against online?" Not fine.

XCOM is a good example of the difference. You have to win on the hardest difficulty and win on ironman. To me that's totally within the acceptable range. But you also have to win with your starting base on every continent. That's just dumb. It's just boredom for boredom's sake, playthroughs for playthroughs' sake. It's one thing when a list asks you to master the game. It's another when you're supposed to beat your head against the wall for no reason.

• Like 1

True happiness can be found when you play a game and don't look at the trophy list at all. You know a game is goddamn great when you're playing it for the game rather than the meaningless digital trophies.

That said, I hope God of War is hard/grindy as fuck and neigh impossible to platinum. Odds are low, but let me have my dream since my opinion of trophies has never been lower than it currently is.

8 hours ago, PlayAsGod said:

So many EXP needed to just unlock all things to be able to get that trophies so that's ridiculous. I doubt that I'll finish it.

Just leave your controller rubbberbanded and leave it online in Team matches.  You get xp for being AFK while at work or school.

Come back and profit.  Then clean up the rest with boosters.

Very easy to do. 

3 hours ago, TheFoundling said:

tenor.gif?itemid=5362498

We disagree which is fine and what makes the 'site interesting. Yet this is why i always include 'in my perspective' (or a suitable equivalent) because my thoughts/feelings/opinions are never gospel. Also important to note "everyone" does NOT "hate" the trophy list for 'The Last of Us' considering people such as myself, @SwampGas and numerous others actually exist (whilst remaining less vociferous and firmly in the minority!)

I reiterate my previous points and as someone whom NEVER plays online/multiplayer, i was absolutely dreading 'The Last of Us' firefly/hunter modes after putting 200+ hours into 4 full run's of the main game and frankly possessing limited abilities when it comes to shooters in general! Yet after 2 months of learning the leveling up system and meeting some awesome (NOT TO MENTION PATIENT) other like-minded players i had some of the most enjoyable experiences imaginable pursuing both sides of the respective firefly/hunter journeys. It is also satisfying to 100% such games that are a proverbial marathon, safe in the knowledge many others cannot and/or will not (either being the same in my mind.)

The thread is specifically about games that spring to mind which possess "awful trophy sets", this is why 'Horizon Zero Dawn' instantly jumps out because frankly it deserved better and a list that would have enticed (or coerced if needs be) players to stick with the journey 'TLOU' esque! Perhaps if future DLC provides that it will move up mine (and other players) backlog.

Thank you for restoring my faith in gaming humanity! 1f601.png

Dude, everyone fucking hates TLOU trophies, end of story. your elitist view on it doesnt mean anything, while you found 2-3 people to back you up i have the whole trophy hunting community behind me to back me up, hell even Colin and Greg said it was a shit show of a trophy list and Brian from PS4 Trophies praised HZD's trophy list for being short but smart and really well crafted, if you want sink 200+ hours into a game it should be fun to stay in that universe for 200+ hours, TLOU to you is fun playing 2+ times. To me its fun playing 2 times only, if they added a second playthrough of the game as a trophy i would've been ok with it, but they wanted to have their cake and fuck it too, 2 journeys of multiplayer, god knows how many single player playthroughs you need and a full fucking DLC list not to mention all the missable bullshit, fuck TLOU's trophy list.

• Like 1

Rainbow Six Seige for me. A really great game that I enjoy a lot, but the small chunk of trophies that need some tedious grinding and one or two ridiculous multiplayer trophies just kinda make me dislike the trophy list a lot.

But that's only my opinion!