yiazmat50112254

about white knight chronicles???

10 posts in this topic

i have a question:

 

2 days ago i platted dark souls :).

so as you probably understand i switched to another game after i was done, and yesterday i decided to start with WKC.

since i like difficult RPG's i assumed i would like WKC as well.

 

but the problem is, not long after i started i already got the idea it is a boring game. most of all the battle system just feels horrible IMO, all you do is wait, attack, wait, attack ETC. don't get me wrong, there are lots of turn based RPG i really like, but there is something in this one that just make me feel bored every battle. besides of the battles, even the normal area's have a boring feel to them. they look nice, but the gameplay itself just feels off.

after i found out about this i started reading the reviews on the internet and it's full of similar stories. i also read that all the battles keep going on the same dull way, and i also read that even the strong enemies later in game also don't get challenging. all that happens is that they get more health and take long to kill, but they won't kill you either. so all that happens is that it enhances the wait battle system into even more waiting. normally when i play turn based there is also a strategical part into it that makes it interesting, but this just feels like there is nothing more into the game then just click and wait. i really want to be wrong, but it looks like i'm not.

just to be clear, i was well aware there is hundreds of hours of grinding into the game. and i was completely fine with it, assuming it would be a fun game (i love star ocean for example).

 

after all the negative experience and reviews i read, ther is still the part that it's played by several people, and even a second volume is made. which means it's sold well enough, which means there are also several people out there that liked the game. in my previous threads i also read some comments of people that even platted the game (and i assume you wouldn't do that if you won't like the game).

 

so long story short: can people give me some advise if i should go on with the game because there are better parts to the game, or if it really don't get better and i should just move on to the next game?

if possible, the more details, the better it is.

thanks.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

White Knight Chronicles sucks. It sucks bad. The only real fun to be had was to play online (though even that was overrated).

 

Here are my personal views:

 

  • The story is nonsensical, poorly told, and ultimately open-ended (sorry for the slight spoiler). People act in the dumbest way possible to push forward a stupid plot.
  • Combat is a bore, and it takes forever to develop your character to do anything other than go through the main story.
  • The main hook of the game was to bring your created character and fight in MMO-style battles with other players around the world. the quests you did were extremely limited, so you would have to repeat them over and over, but since you were with friends, it would be better. Now, you just have to do the quests solo. And if you are looking for the plat, you'll have to do the same, monotonous quests hundreds (if not thousands) of times, since guild rank builds so slowly.
  • Another real kicker is the fact that armor is tied to your level. This isn't a problem the first time through, but when you start re-incarnating, you can't wear your armor until you level back up. This forces you into a single quest, over and over, to get that level up.
  • The georama is a monumental joke. It wasn't even that great to visit other people's towns, but now, you have your town alone, and the materials you get from it are mundane.

Long story short, even if you like grinding, this game is a very bad joke. Unlike even Star Ocean, there is NOTHING waiting around the bend for your efforts. The only reason to grind that GR8 quest to raise your rank...is to get to the GR12 quest that is exactly the same.

 

Long story longer, it never gets better. Even fans of the game found the SP mode to be annoying (and haters like me found even the fans of the game annoying). Quitting this game will be one of your best gaming decisions ever.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

White Knight Chronicles sucks. It sucks bad. The only real fun to be had was to play online (though even that was overrated).

 

Here are my personal views:

 

  • The story is nonsensical, poorly told, and ultimately open-ended (sorry for the slight spoiler). People act in the dumbest way possible to push forward a stupid plot.
  • Combat is a bore, and it takes forever to develop your character to do anything other than go through the main story.
  • The main hook of the game was to bring your created character and fight in MMO-style battles with other players around the world. the quests you did were extremely limited, so you would have to repeat them over and over, but since you were with friends, it would be better. Now, you just have to do the quests solo. And if you are looking for the plat, you'll have to do the same, monotonous quests hundreds (if not thousands) of times, since guild rank builds so slowly.
  • Another real kicker is the fact that armor is tied to your level. This isn't a problem the first time through, but when you start re-incarnating, you can't wear your armor until you level back up. This forces you into a single quest, over and over, to get that level up.
  • The georama is a monumental joke. It wasn't even that great to visit other people's towns, but now, you have your town alone, and the materials you get from it are mundane.

Long story short, even if you like grinding, this game is a very bad joke. Unlike even Star Ocean, there is NOTHING waiting around the bend for your efforts. The only reason to grind that GR8 quest to raise your rank...is to get to the GR12 quest that is exactly the same.

 

Long story longer, it never gets better. Even fans of the game found the SP mode to be annoying (and haters like me found even the fans of the game annoying). Quitting this game will be one of your best gaming decisions ever.

 

I agree with every single point of this. I even tried to plat the first game when the servers were still running due to some friends playing, but I dropped it anyway.

The second WKC is even worst, I stop playing it halfway through the story: boring and plain nonsensical in every regard. Sometimes I can't even believe WKC came from the same developers of Dark Cloud/Dark Chronicle/Inazuma Eleven.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ShimizuGear09 said:

 

I agree with every single point of this. I even tried to plat the first game when the servers were still running due to some friends playing, but I dropped it anyway.

The second WKC is even worst, I stop playing it halfway through the story: boring and plain nonsensical in every regard. Sometimes I can't even believe WKC came from the same developers of Dark Cloud/Dark Chronicle/Inazuma Eleven.

 

I don't know what that last game is (though I'm going to look it up), but it completely boggles my mind that the same people that made Dark Cloud 2 (Dark Chronicle in Europe) could have taken a piss not once, but twice, on this series. DC2 is arguably my favorite PS2 game (competing with Persona 4).

 

EDIT: Huh. An RPG sports game, huh? Sounds interesting.

Edited by starcrunch061
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

 

I don't know what that last game is (though I'm going to look it up), but it completely boggles my mind that the same people that made Dark Cloud 2 (Dark Chronicle in Europe) could have taken a piss not once, but twice, on this series. DC2 is arguably my favorite PS2 game (competing with Persona 4).

Same here :awesome:

3 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

EDIT: Huh. An RPG sports game, huh? Sounds interesting.

Take Captain Tsubasa, add a lot of superpower techniques and you got Inazuma Eleven :awesome: I love the series even if I don't like soccer at all!

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I started both WKC, but I really couldn't get into it. I saw the first game on PS Now. I'll try once again to get into the game but  overall it is not as good as I hope it would be.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks every1 for the information. especcialy you @starcrunch061 for taking the time and effort to put all those detailed information in there.

since every1 seems to have the exact same experience with the game, i'll just move on.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

edit: i just have read my hardest rpg poll thread again, and i like to ask 2 additional questions.

 

1: someone into the forum mentioned a situation in WKC2. which was about killing madoras in vellgander dungeon. he mentioned it an extremely hard skill based battle. since i don't know anything about it except for what i just mentioned, my question is is it more fun then the other things. or is it still a boring game, even after considering there might be more skill involved then it looks like?

2: this one has nothing to do with WKC, but since mugen souls is also a very grindy JRPG, i was curious if mugen souls is more fun to play? don't have it yet but i'm certainly planning to buy it once. because as mentioned earlier, i am ok with grinds as long as the game itself is fun. so i wanna ask what all your opinions are about if it is/isn't a fun game?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, yiazmat50112254 said:

edit: i just have read my hardest rpg poll thread again, and i like to ask 2 additional questions.

 

1: someone into the forum mentioned a situation in WKC2. which was about killing madoras in vellgander dungeon. he mentioned it an extremely hard skill based battle. since i don't know anything about it except for what i just mentioned, my question is is it more fun then the other things. or is it still a boring game, even after considering there might be more skill involved then it looks like?

2: this one has nothing to do with WKC, but since mugen souls is also a very grindy JRPG, i was curious if mugen souls is more fun to play? don't have it yet but i'm certainly planning to buy it once. because as mentioned earlier, i am ok with grinds as long as the game itself is fun. so i wanna ask what all your opinions are about if it is/isn't a fun game?

 

Before I answer, I'd just like to remark that my take on White Knight Chronicles (and its sequel) is that the game is an MMORPG masquerading as your typical RPG in its' single-player/offline segments.  But most of the game and its' trophy grind is the MMORPG part.

 

To the first question:  Trying to fight that most difficult boss in WKC2 solo is probably excruciatingly difficult.  It's probably less fun than most of the rest of the platinum grind in that particular title, and it's not a very fun grind to begin with (either offline or online in the old days) unless MMORPGs were your thing.  But that's what you should expect from trying to play an MMORPG solo.  A fair amount of the rest of the game can be made easier to some extent by using particular builds -- e.g., a Spear build works better for a solo artist in WKC1.  But it's not going to be easy any which way because the WKC1 quests were really designed for 2-4 human players running it and the WKC2-exclusive quests were frequently designed for 6 human players and often feature "one death means Quest Failed" settings.

 

To the second question:  The main game of Mugen Souls may or may not be "more fun" -- it'll depend on your tastes.  The postgame and most of the platinum grind is exactly that, a grind.  And for the original Mugen Souls, it's tedious and time-consuming to the extreme and nauseatingly thorough.  Mugen Souls Z isn't all that different, although it isn't as grindy in the postgame.  All in all, both Mugen Souls titles are probably your typical Compile Heart/NISA fare outside the nuts-and-bolts of the battle system, so your enjoyment of either title may not be too different from your enjoyment of other Compile Heart/NISA titles.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.