I'm a completionist trophy hunter cause I'm a causal gamer

Trophessional

I always have had a tendency to ditch a game at about 80% completion. At that very moment when you can feel that you "own" the game and could easily beat it now. 

Then I come back later starting the game anew - just to bail at 80% again. I like the progression and learning the most; when it's done, I go to another game to learn and progress.

So completionist trophy hunting is a meta-game for me which enforces me to break this bad habit. We could say I have an "elitist" trophy hunter mindset to counter my very causal gaming mindset. 

Also, being a completionist saves a lot of money. There is always a nice discount, or two, or ten, in the PS store. 100% completing games like the Witcher 3 makes you consider any new purchase. 

These are the reasons why I like trophies. And you? Why do you like trophies?

PS: Also, I like the sound when they pop. ?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Demon--Prototype said:

I like trophies due to the pure adrenaline some games give such as My name is mayo or Nubla.

These games require skill though, unlike XCOM 2, Warframe and Fifa 18.. but i wouldn't expect a man of your calibre to play such junk.

Yeah I just bought the War of the Chosen DLC. Another 100 hours gap added between my rank 5 and 6 I guess. Happy purchase though.

I don't think I'll ever reach rank 20 in my life. Once you accept it you get relaxed and enjoy your games way more. 

I like collecting clip art.

I'm a super casual gamer, though. The minute I get bored with a game, I move onto something else. If the game is meaningful to me in some way, I'll put in the effort to 100% it (Life is Strange, Deadly Premonition, etc.), but if I'm bored of a game that's not significant to me, I just pick something else from my PS Now queue.

...If I like the trophy art, though, I might work a little harder at it. Again, I'm in it for the pretty pictures.

• Like 4

I'm a completionist too, but unfortunately I suck at many games that have hard difficulties or require combo mastering. 

It pains me that I will never have 100% but I forced myself to accept it. My standard now is to at least get an A Rank rating, and at the very very least get all the story trophies.

I doesn't help that I have a huge backlog of games too, and my console get's clustered quickly, so I'm forced to play the games I know I can platinum first so I can delete them for good. I am very dedicated when I know I can get a Platinum, so I'm willing to spend a lot of hours for it. In the end I know it will still be a relatively rare plat, because instead of difficulty, it relies on time and dedication.

• Like 4

I think I fit under both casual and completionist! When I started out, it really was to get he most bang for my buck but it went hand-in-hand with my need to complete things. Growing up I had to look out for my younger siblings as my parents weren't around, so I wasn't free to spend lavishly whatever I made on the weekends and evenings even if I wanted to. Even though it stemmed from those reasons, I grew to enjoy exploring every little gem (or even the dregs) a game has to offer and more often than not trophy lists encourage you to do this. This is coming from someone who used to despise MP trophies and the online element, but actually you do meet some pretty cool people on there once you sift through the not-so-nice folk. One other thing that I like about being a completionist is it often pushes me out of my comfort zone. I'm not one to give up on anything that I'm passionate about so it's great that my mentality aided me in becoming a (slightly) better gamer over the years.

I also like the sound when they pop :ninja:

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Trophessional said:

Why do you like trophies?

My wife says I'm a hardcore gamer. She says the 30 minutes of gaming I do most days is obsessive.

I like trophies because I think of trophies as a map of extra challenges in addition to just "beating the game." My PS3 and Vita gaming picked up all my chaotic gaming style from my ATARI through PS2 and PSP days. When I got a PS4 I decided to only play one game on the PS4 at a time until I'm done with it. If that's all the trophies, great. If not, I don't care. I'm just done. I've honed in my Vita and PS3 gaming to largely mirror that as well.

To control my backlog, I don't buy on impulse and have a running tally of "unused spent funds" aka wasted money. However much money I've spent on games that I haven't even started yet is on a running tally, showing me the hundreds of dollars I've wasted on something I've done nothing with yet. Luckily, I developed a good habit in my PS2 days. Never spend more than $13 on a physical game I'm not going to play right away. And in the early PS3 days, I added never spending more than $8 on a digital title I'm not going to play right away.

I'm looking at ~$650 right now of unused spent funds. Then I think about all the hookers, gambling and scotch I could have spent that money on and it keeps me from spending much more. I also look at my wall of video game cases and know I could liquidate all of it and recover about ~$800 of it fairly quickly and don't worry much longer.

At the end of the day, I don't consider myself a trophy hunter and my trophy list and trophies themselves are for me and only me. They're my gaming list and help me see where I've gamed and help me figure out what other challenges I can do in games.

• Like 1

I like trophies and achievements because they provide a simple record of what games I play and how I play them, and for other players. Simply as a way to look at someone’s profile and know if I can be leaderboard rivals with them, or play online multiplayer with them, or have critical discussions about indie darling X or AAA disaster Y, all because I know they play or have played them and in turn hope they take the same from mine.

If a game is on my list it’s because I bought it and had every intention of playing and loving it. I’ll probably never get above ~40% in Hyper Light Drifter, but I’d like to think people can tell that I really loved that game by the time spent. Similarly, I’ll probably be stuck with the single introductory trophy from Monster Hunter World because it just didn’t click with me, which I should hope is obvious as well. If I ever achieve 100% or platinum in something it’s because I love it, and it either came naturally through playing and just enjoying the game, or because after finishing it I look online to try to understand what I missed. I try not to look at lists online or on the console before or during my time playing otherwise, and I have notifications disabled on every platform.

Edited by Zondares

16 minutes ago, Zolkovo said:

being a completionist is it often pushes me out of my comfort zone

Hm, this. Actually my one problem with trophies is that they are either too causal (you get them by beating the game) or too grindy/cheesable. The trophy system could be there to fully enjoy all the aspects of a game. I think fans would make insanely fun trophies, which would actually make the games to be played better, more diverse etc. Instead the too main types of trophies (causal/grindy) can make trophy hunters sometimes even more tunneled than a normal gamer.

• Like 1

I play whatever game I feel like playing.

The trophies just happen in the background.

I’m not a ‘casual’, an ‘elitist’, a ‘completionist’ or any of the other labels people self-assign to feel good about their hobby. 

I just play games.

Edited by DrBloodmoney
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Trophessional said:

can make trophy hunters sometimes even more tunneled than a normal gamer.

Man I like the way you word your thoughts. I've always felt the same but of course normal is subjective. I think typical would be a better word if we look at the grand scale of things. Also generally speaking, this is why I like R* trophy lists because even though they usually entail some ridiculous grind, there is no questioning that you've "been there, done that" once it's all over.

@DrBloodmoney It's not to make me feel good about my hobby but rather to understand why I like doing things a certain way. If I "just play games" I wouldn't even be on this site.

Edited by Zolkovo
  • Like 2

My main reasoning for the trophy hunting is that generally, by the time you hit that platinum or 100% you've touched on almost every aspect of the game. Trophies lead you to cameos and easter eggs at times (such as Far Cry Primal's easter egg trophy that points to Blood Dragon and Assassin's Creed as example). Completing a game definitely helps to save money in my opinion if you stick with it long enough to get that elusive plat/100% vs. just moving on to the next new game immediately. One friend of mine that I use as an example at times is terrible about buying anything on the fly as he wants it, so he rarely finishes a game. It kills me not to finish the main story at the least after paying as much as some games cost today (just pre-ordered Far Cry 5 gold edition -rip-).

Granted, there are some games I simply can't complete whether it be lack of ability or lack of interest in it. Looking at you Woah Dave!, Tropico 5, Tower of Guns, and Sound Shapes ?

Plus, that trophy popping sound ?

Edited by LordSlashington
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

or any of the other labels people self-assign to feel good about their hobby

Although the OP clearly states that I do it to get past the 80% completion, he is here to get out his daggers once more. 

I'm ignoring you from now on, good luck with Nubla 2 when it comes, playing it "just for fun".

Of course ya do.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

Sure, but I think that there is difference between self-assigning to a particular ‘camp’ of trophy hunter, and simply accepting that there are psychological reasons why one does what one does.

I personally think that anyone who can look at a percentage bar of progress in a game (or any endevour for that matter) and not at least want to try to fill it to 100% is fundamentally broken on the inside, but equally, I tend to shy away from naval-gazing with regards to how I view myself as a trophy hunter.

I’m not going to leave a game unfinished if I can help it, but equally, it’s not going to stick in my throat if I try and then fail, or if a game is rendered impossible to finish by closed servers/ glitches etc.

You fail all the challenges that you don’t try...

... but to obsess over past failures to the detriment of your future successes is the truest failure of all.

Extremely well said! That's how I feel about a handful of my games haha. Definitely want to try and hit that 100% when if at all possible, but some things simply can't be done and feel worth it w/out tearing yourself up at times. Games are meant to have fun, when it gets to the point of causing stress/detriment to your health to get a trophy I think it's time to just step back and rethink what your doing and why. In my opinion anyway. 

Edited by LordSlashington
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Trophessional said:

Although the OP clearly states that I do it to get past the 80% completion, he is here to get out his daggers once more. 

I'm ignoring you from now on, good luck with Nubla 2 when it comes, playing it "just for fun".

Of course ya do.

I don't think he was specifically talking about you. That's just his opinion, just like you have yours.

I usually try to complete games I like. However, it's not unusual that there are also games I'm not able to complete since I'm not skilled enough. Surely I'm not happy about it, but that's life and I just move on in cases like these. Sometimes I also start playing another game in between and cba to go back to the old game, not because I didn't like it or something like that, maybe just because I don't care too much about completing it or whatever. I won't finish a game I absolutely hate either. 

About DLCs: I'll buy them when I'm interested in them. Most of the time I wait until they're on sale then. 

I can't really say what kind of trophy hunter I am. I'm ... just a "normal" trophy hunter, I'd say. I like the sound of popping trophies :P Also, it's good to show myself what I'm able to do, that's probably why I collect trophies. Some months bring more trophies than others, and sometimes I just go back to PC gaming and don't think about trophies. 

Edited by Izul

I like trophies because they encourage me to play a game to its fullest. Before trophies I would probably beat a game once or twice and call it a day. When a trophy list is done right, they make me play in different ways, find things I wouldn't have known about otherwise, challenge myself, etc. Only after getting the 100% in a game do I truly feel like I've completed it and I love that feeling.

• Like 2

Before trophies, Metal Gear Solid games were just 1 or maybe 2 runs and that's it, never play them again.

But with trophies you get the whole package. And, god help us all... the insane amount of times you need to finish some games is insane (yes, insane is insane for emphasis) and yet super fun for all the things you see in the process. Trophies encourages the player to fully discover the game. 

But I hate speedrun trophies. No fun allowed. Worst than collectibles.

Edited by Katt
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Trophessional said:

I always have had a tendency to ditch a game at about 80% 

So completionist trophy hunting is a meta-game for me which enforces me to break this bad habit. We could say I have an "elitist" trophy hunter mindset to counter my very causal gaming mindset. 

Also, being a completionist saves a lot of money. 

Looking at your profile I have to ask: What is your definition of a completionist?

For the record, I don't consider myself a completionist. It is, however, something I strive to be.

19 minutes ago, Katt said:

But I hate speedrun trophies. No fun allowed. Worst than collectibles.

OMG I so agree with this