Trophessional

I'm a completionist trophy hunter cause I'm a causal gamer

42 posts in this topic

26 minutes ago, Katt said:

But I hate speedrun trophies. No fun allowed. Worst than collectibles.

 

Agreed - unless it's something like Crash Time Trials, then it's different, but trophies that are basically "hey, you know this beautiful game? Instead of taking your time to enjoy it, and do things as you feel like it, run straight through it and skip everything optional to get to the end and ruin the entire experience for yourself"

 

I've got a bunch of games on my backlog that I just keep putting off because of the speedruns. I hate them. Why do they exist?

 

I do like collectibles though - they're something I do whether there's trophies attached or not (like Archives/Side Quests in NieR: Automata - trophy was for 80%, but I had to get 100%), because it's also a completionist thing.  Trophies are more a public display of my completionist tendencies, but I complete things with or without them.

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Trophessional said:

 

I was a PC gamer. 

I was too but you didn't answer the question. In your opinion, what is a completionist?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I play whatever game I feel like playing.

The trophies just happen in the background.

 

I’m not a ‘casual’, an ‘elitist’, a ‘completionist’ or any of the other labels people self-assign to feel good about their hobby. 

 

I just play games.

Mate, you are over lvl 60. And you make it sound like, meh, i just play and something dings in the background from time to time. Sounds pretty hardcore. Dent your logic

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, EstonianBeast said:

Mate, you are over lvl 60. And you make it sound like, meh, i just play and something dings in the background from time to time. Sounds pretty hardcore. Dent your logic

 

Sure, but my profile isn’t 100% or anything - my level is just the inevitable by-product of having played for quite a long time and really liking a variety of games

 

:-)

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

 

Sure, but I think that there is difference between self-assigning to a particular ‘camp’ of trophy hunter, and simply accepting that there are psychological reasons why one does what one does.

 

I personally think that anyone who can look at a percentage bar of progress in a game (or any endevour for that matter) and not at least want to try to fill it to 100% is fundamentally broken on the inside, but equally, I tend to shy away from naval-gazing with regards to how I view myself as a trophy hunter.

 

I’m not going to leave a game unfinished if I can help it, but equally, it’s not going to stick in my throat if I try and then fail, or if a game is rendered impossible to finish by closed servers/ glitches etc.

 

You fail all the challenges that you don’t try...

... but to obsess over past failures to the detriment of your future successes is the truest failure of all.


Why? Because people need to TRY to 100% a game, otherwise they're a failure to themselves and are fundamentally broken? 

Any logical person could theorize that anybody that obsesses over digital trophies is fundamentally broken...


Day by day I realize that people on this site have lost all meaning of what video games are. They're not solely a 100% checklist for you to conquer.

Sad that that's all people see them as.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Valyrious said:


Any logical person could theorize that anybody that obsesses over digital trophies is fundamentally broken...

 

Lol - that’s true... different perspectives for different folks .

 

I tend to feel compelled to at least try to finish something that I start - and when the trophy system came along and put an actual progress bar right there on my profile it only encouraged me more!  

 

I’ve never quite understood folks who can just do half a job then stop, but then, I’ve never understood folks who can have half a Mars bar then put the rest in the fridge for later either!

 

;-) 

Edited by DrBloodmoney
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, DrBloodmoney said:

I’ve never understood folks who can have half a Mars bar then put the rest in the fridge for later either!

 

High Quality Batman shocked Blank Meme Template

 

No way... this happens?

 

P.S. They haven't tried it deep fried.

Edited by Zolkovo
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Bullstomp said:

I was too but you didn't answer the question. In your opinion, what is a completionist?

 

Someone who strives for communism is already a communist. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bullstomp said:

Looking at your profile I have to ask: What is your definition of a completionist?

 

Well, according to dictionary.com, a completionist is "(in a video game) a player who attempts to complete every challenge and earn every achievement or trophy"

 

I'm agree with that description, I consider myself a completionist but I don't always get the platinum trophy for every game in my library or get the 100% because I rarely buy any DLC. But, when I can't get one of those goals, I don't leave without trying at least.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Trophessional said:

 

Someone who strives for communism is already a communist. 

You can put on a mask and cape; that doesn't make you a superhero. There is some prequisite effort or qualifiers involved. But I can see you haven't thought that far ahead so I will let it be.

 

8 hours ago, Katt said:

 

Well, according to dictionary.com, a completionist is "(in a video game) a player who attempts to complete every challenge and earn every achievement or trophy"

 

I'm agree with that description, I consider myself a completionist but I don't always get the platinum trophy for every game in my library or get the 100% because I rarely buy any DLC. But, when I can't get one of those goals, I don't leave without trying at least.

 

Which is why I asked for his definition. For some it is a level of completion percentage, others it is how many plats the have vs. number of games played. With a 42% completion and no plats I was curious how he qualifies what a completionist is . . .

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, lunateena said:

I wish I could stick to one game and complete it fully. But I tend to get distracted with shiny new games and have a backlog as big as the equator. 

 

Wish I could save money.... but those sales just add more into the backlog. Some of them are just too good to pass up. 

 

This 100% describes my problem. I've gotten better recently and trying to go back and fix everything. I managed to get from 28% in December to 43% now. 

 

What im trying to do is as I play newer games, I make sure to play one of my older games too and try to get 100% or as far as I can into that older game.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, DrBloodmoney said:

 

Lol - that’s true... different perspectives for different folks .

 

I tend to feel compelled to at least try to finish something that I start - and when the trophy system came along and put an actual progress bar right there on my profile it only encouraged me more!  

 

I’ve never quite understood folks who can just do half a job then stop, but then, I’ve never understood folks who can have half a Mars bar then put the rest in the fridge for later either!

 

;-) 


Some people get bored of something, or distracted by something else, and go with that. That would be the category that I fall into. There are so many games I've played where I'll start something, find it fun, but then brush it to the side in favour of something that I'm in the mood to play.

It happens so much that my completion percentage is barely in the 50% mark. I still wouldn't classify myself as a casual gamer though. I believe that, in my old age, it's becoming increasingly difficult for a game to hold my attention. I LOVE these short sub 10 hour games because you can get through them in a weekend and that's it. These 100+ hour open world sandbox games just scream fuck you to me. There's way too many of them out there and they add an unnecessary veil of anxiety for me to finish, so that it makes me not want to play them.

 

There are different people. There are the hardcore people that need to 100% everything they play. And if they want to do that, that's fine. But I truly believe you're exhausting your own passion for games and before long you'll see them as a job to finish and you will resent them. It's better to ignore the trophies and just have fun. Or try to platinum the games that you really, really love.

If I buy a game, complete it, and loved the story, I'm beyond happy. Whatever my completion percentage is at that point is an afterthought to me because I just want to enjoy more unique storytelling in this enriching medium. And then there's times where I want a Telltales game.

2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Valyrious said:

There are different people. There are the hardcore people that need to 100% everything they play. And if they want to do that, that's fine. But I truly believe you're exhausting your own passion for games and before long you'll see them as a job to finish and you will resent them.

 

This is so true. I am at this point on some of the games on my profile. It becomes a tug of war. What's stronger? My OCD for that 100% or wanting to play something fun or new? 

 

My OCD seems to win more times than not, making some games tedious as hell. . .

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think completing trophies makes the games shelf life longer. A lot of people will buy a new game, play it and then probably not even complete the story before moving on to something else. I find when you play it  a couple more times you find stuff you didn't see the first time which is pretty cool. I enjoy getting 100%, I know its a lot more expensive these days with games adding a lot of DLCs but I usually wait until its reduced on the store anyway. I am not one of those people who look at peoples completion rates or how many games they have played anyway, do whats good for you.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Bullstomp said:

 

This is so true. I am at this point on some of the games on my profile. It becomes a tug of war. What's stronger? My OCD for that 100% or wanting to play something fun or new? 

 

My OCD seems to win more times than not, making some games tedious as hell. . .

 

How I will do this, is that I will set out a certain % of overall completion on my profile, below which I cannot sink. 

Instinctively 90+ overall completion has the sense of "almost 100%" for me.  So I think I will go with 80%, and then I'll celebrate every added % as an extra achievement. 

But at the end of every year I need to reach a clear 100% overall completion. 

It's like a sports league, with a playoff on the top of it. You don't need to win the league, just be in the first 20%, and then you can go for the trophy. 

 

I think this may provide a healthy balance. 

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My case became addiction.  After my daughter born I quit smoking, reduce social activities and try to not spend too much money for personal hobbies drove me to get all my attention to collecting trophies. I guess this is natural evolution of me as a gamer after 30 years gaming. Because less game impress me day by day. Just finding another way to enjoy gaming nothing wrong with that

 

4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Trophessional said:

 

How I will do this, is that I will set out a certain % of overall completion on my profile, below which I cannot sink. 

Instinctively 90+ overall completion has the sense of "almost 100%" for me.  So I think I will go with 80%, and then I'll celebrate every added % as an extra achievement. 

But at the end of every year I need to reach a clear 100% overall completion. 

It's like a sports league, with a playoff on the top of it. You don't need to win the league, just be in the first 20%, and then you can go for the trophy. 

 

I think this may provide a healthy balance. 

 

Sounds like a realistic and attainable goal😁

 

If I can offer some advice I would say target online trophies first and foremost because servers seem to close at a moment's notice in some cases.

Edited by Bullstomp
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.