New PS4 owner, saying hi!

Barbell-Disciple

New to PlayStation, not so new to gaming. I've been playing games for many years and after some really sh** luck with my Xbox breaking (more than once) and some pretty awful customer service... I decided to not replace it and to grab myself a PS4. I've honestly been looking for an excuse to get one for a while (Sooo many awesome looking games!), however, I felt that I couldn't really justify the purchase when I already had a fully working current gen console. 

So with a fresh console, a new virtual online ID, what better time to change things up? I'm planning to shift away from playing mostly multiplayer, and start completing games. I plan to use Trophies as a measure of completion, to know for sure that I have truly completed a game. I plan to go for them all on the games that I decide to play! If i cannot achieve 100% on all games, then so be it... but it won't be through lack of trying! Just probably lack of skill haha!

So far I have picked up:

RIME

Ratchet & Clank (Ps +)

Bloodborne (Ps +)

Titanfall 2

Nier Automata 

Hellblade

Horizon Zero Dawn

JAK 2 (bought it for the debug quick plat, felt terrible af. Will actually play it properly at some point to feel better about it)

Little Nightmares 

Shadow of The Colossus 

Until Dawn

BioShock Collection 

I have my eye on a few others too! But these are games that I just really like the look of and got them at great prices, including BioShock, which is probably my favourite game of all time!

So, basically, Hi! This site seems really cool and I'm looking forward to getting stuck in! 

Happy hunting to everyone!

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Zolkovo said:

Welcome, you've got a great selection of games there :)

A lot of nice folk around here, so don't be afraid to ask if you have any questions about the site or PlayStation in general!

Thanks man! Yeah, I've already started reading through threads and using guides. Having a blast so far! Appreciate the welcome ?

13 minutes ago, Undead Wolf said:

You have made a wise decision. :P I don't know how big you are into RPG's, but I'd definitely recommend that you get Persona 5. One of the best PlayStation exclusives.

It feels pretty good so far! I've always wanted to get into a meaty RPG, I absolutely loved Mass Effect 1 & 2 and Shenmue 1 & 2 but they are my only experience with the genre, if that counts? The Witcher 3 and Persona 5 are two RPG's that look amazing and I really want to give them a go, but, I haven't played any of the games prior in either franchise so I've been hesitant, thinking that I may not fully appreciate or understand them? I will be playing Horizon Zero Dawn and Bloodborne very soon.

Edited by Barbell-Disciple

6 minutes ago, Barbell-Disciple said:

It feels pretty good so far! I've always wanted to get into a meaty RPG, I absolutely loved Mass Effect 1 & 2 and Shenmue 1 & 2 but they are my only experience with the genre, if that counts? The Witcher 3 and Persona 5 are two RPG's that look amazing and I really want to give them a go, but, I haven't played any of the games prior in either franchise so I've been hesitant, thinking that I may not fully appreciate or understand them? I will be playing Horizon Zero Dawn and Bloodborne very soon.

The games you mentioned play very differently. Persona 5 is closer to a traditional Japanese RPG with its turn-based combat and such. No knowledge of prior games is needed to appreciate it; it works as a standalone game. Many people's first experience with the series was with Persona 5 and I'm sure you'll enjoy it if you give it a chance. :D

As for The Witcher 3, knowledge of the previous games isn't exactly required, but it does help since there are many characters from the previous games that make an appearance, so having some backstory is nice. Still, the only other game in the series I have played is The Witcher 2 on Xbox 360 many years ago and hardly remember anything about that game, but I never felt like I was missing out on too much.

• Like 1

Welcome! I like your name too.

Like mentioned before, you don't really need any knowledge of previous Witcher games to fully enjoy Witcher 3. I think it catches you up to speed if you say you haven't played past games, too. I wouldn't pass up a game like the Witcher 3, it's a must play imo!

• Like 2

@ManaFear Thanks! Yeah, it seems to be rated very highly. I don't think I've ever heard anything but: 'it's a must play'. Just clocked that the GOTY edition is currently on sale. Happy days! Will have to set a chunk of time aside though, for this one.

@donut_plz Nice one bro ?

@bezdomnekoty Thanks for the welcome mate 

Hey! Nice to have you join PSNP. I think you'll like all of those games. I'm working on Titanfall 2 myself right now. I just have one trophy left. It's supposed to be really hard so I saved it til the end and am trying for it tonight after work. I run some community events on this site. If you are interested., the next one starts April 1. Those are simpler than it sounds. Basically, you commit to completing three games in about six weeks. I pick themes to match the season and people pick games to match the themes. Looking at your list, I think you can easily match up those themes. No pressure to join. It's mostly just a nice place to talk to people about the progress your making on games and stuff. I make digital merit badges for the participants that complete their list. Just thought I'd put it out there. 

• Like 2

Welcome, may you have great fun. Notice you are going purely for trophies/completion than enjoying games. Hopefully you wont be burned in the process. 

2 hours ago, Barbell-Disciple said:

.. I decided to not replace it and to grab myself a PS4.

Well done ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)?

And welcome! I saw a Nier Automata and Shadow of the colossus in your list, very nice choice! and of course you can get the 100% in whatever game you want, just be persistent. 

Good luck!

• Like 2

@2G53 Thank you and I will definitely check that out, it sounds fun! Wild shot in the dark but it sounds like you may be referring to the 'Becomes the master' trophy for running the Gauntlet in under 34 seconds or so. For me personally, it was one of the most enjoyable trophies in the game because I love time trials haha. It's not too difficult once you get a feel for it ?

@ERGOPROXY-DECAY Thank you for the welcome! I think I may not of worded it very well, but, I will be focusing purely on games. Using trophies as a measure of completion, and I will be aiming to fully complete my games to get the most out of them in terms of value and enjoyment.

I don't plan on playing anything purely for trophies alone. I made that mistake with Jak 2, and bought it for a quick platinum because my fresh profile felt a bit 'bare', so using the debug mode after seeing a thread about it on here, it took me less than 3 minutes to pop all the trophies and it was just an empty experience that left me feeling shitty...

So yeah, in short, I will most likely never buy a game just for trophies again. I will play Jak 2 from start to finish just to make me feel less shitty about it lol.

@everyone else: Thank you all for the warm welcomes! I've tried to drop a heart on all people that have posted but apparently I can only do that 10 times per day haha, my bad! 

Happy Gaming people! ??

Edited by Barbell-Disciple

5 hours ago, Barbell-Disciple said:

@2G53 Thank you and I will definitely check that out, it sounds fun! Wild shot in the dark but it sounds like you may be referring to the 'Becomes the master' trophy for running the Gauntlet in under 34 seconds or so. For me personally, it was one of the most enjoyable trophies in the game because I love time trials haha. It's not too difficult once you get a feel for it 1f60a.png

Yep that's the one. I ended up having a busy night so didn't get the chance to spend more than 15 minutes on it. I'm close though. My fastest is 35.8 I think. I think I have the feel for it like you said, when I was doing it yesterday I felt like any given run could be the one. 

20 minutes ago, 2G53 said:

Yep that's the one. I ended up having a busy night so didn't get the chance to spend more than 15 minutes on it. I'm close though. My fastest is 35.8 I think. I think I have the feel for it like you said, when I was doing it yesterday I felt like any given run could be the one. 

Yup, you'll nail it man! I love that rush of knowing that you just need the perfect run and every time feels like it could be the one!