Most favorite game franchise ( Difficulty and Enjoyment)

REAPER4536

Hey I'd like to hear about your most favorite Franchise in terms of trophies and the game itself. Please tell me a little bit about the obtainablity, the most difficult and the most grindy game in your favorite franchise 

For myself I really enjoy the Battlefield games especially Battlefield 3 and 4 and I'm going to 100% them somewhen. 

Current Games in the Franchise: 7 excluding double up ( BF4 and BFH)

BF1943 - 100% title and easy

BF Bad Company: Most difficult one - server are nearly dead and the 4 working servers are filled with veterans. 10002 Kills in MP + all online assisngments  are required for the Platinum trophy.

BF Bad Company 2: relative easy but boosting group require for some trophies

BF3: Reletive easy but boosting group required 

BF4: relative easy but boosting group required 

BF Hardline: Really easy but the most grindy one for its 40000 kills in MP ( DLC)

BF1: Easiest one after BF1943 and the newest one 

Important note every game except BF1943 and BF Bad Company have serveral DLCs and all trophies are still obtainable although some of them very difficult to get through server population and server stability 

God of War for me, without a question.

I have eight platinums including GOW3 Remastered, and i've enjoyed every one of them (even Ascension). Maybe get the platinums is not too hard, but the modes like Challenge of the Gods can give a headache. And the story is just amazing, the rise and fall of the Ghost of Sparta, the mythology, the brutality... Blood and guts, baby!

Can't wait to play the new one!

• Like 2

Dragon Quest, but the only game in the series with trophies that I’ve played is the first Dragon Quest Heroes, which I didn't like at all. Hopefully they release Dragon Quest I-III over here when XI arrives. I remember them being challenging as a kid on NES and Game Boy, as well as the rest of the series.

• Like 1

This is actually really difficult to answer.

There are franchises that include some of my all-time favourite games but also some of my least favourite (Final Fantasy is a great example).

There are also franchises where I've loved every game I've played in it, but missed out on some of the very early releases (e.g. Grand Theft Auto / Saints Row).

So for me, I'd have to go with Uncharted. I felt it broke the mould a little and offered something not many other games did at the time. A linear but polished game-play experience with a rich story and excellent graphics/music/game script/voice acting to boot. And oh boy some of the DLC trophies for the original Uncharted 3...! I wouldn't say any of the originals or remasters are particularly difficult, but they can certainly be super grindy or completely RNG based (certain chapters on Brutal in the remastered versions for example).

Edited by Zolkovo
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Zolkovo said:

So for me, I'd have to go with Uncharted. I felt it broke the mould a little and offered something not many other games did at the time. A linear but polished game-play experience with a rich story and excellent graphics/music/game script/voice acting to boot. And oh boy some of the DLC trophies for the original Uncharted 3...! I wouldn't say any of the originals or remasters are particularly difficult, but they can certainly be super grindy or completely RNG based (certain chapters on Brutal in the remastered versions for example).

Uncharted, what a brilliant saga. Oh boy!

Edited by matigrosso91

tenor.gif?itemid=3906146

The Elder Scrolls probably destroyed my relationship(S) and orphaned my children by default so i am not sure if it is even 'appropriate' to consider the franchise my 'favorite' but..... i have never experienced as much of an all consuming level of immersion as that which the recent installments in the franchise offered. I did not even realize Skyrim HAD dragons later on because i had spent so many HUNDREDS of hours exploring the world in the initial phase of the game, i was practically burnt out (no pun intended) by that point of the story arc! Truly a revolutionary and near perfect franchise?

Just Dance will forever be the franchise i hold most 'dear' for a variety of reasons. I still consider it the most difficult test of my own and OVERALL skill due to the physical nature of the challenge (hence why i recently purchased a Playstation 3 solely to platinum the remaining 2 titles i had left in the franchise!) Everyone trips over their virtual self to fawn over 2D side scrolling nonsense and the skill it requires etc. Yet actually getting off your uncoordinated behinds and perfecting some of the most physically and mentally demanding choreography out there will forever represent a more torturous undertaking (as my gangly, swollen and dehydrated frame can attest after 12-13 hours straight of attempting and failing to replicate the routines!)

Special mention also goes to the (now defunct) WWE: Smackdown vs. Raw franchise (started in '04 and finished in '11) which was much derided at the time but only NOW can we truly appreciate how nuanced and enjoyable the gameplay/graphics were compared to the absolutely HIDEOUS incarnation that 2K Sports doles out every year. ?

Edited by TheFoundling
  • Like 1

Mirror's Edge : picked it up from EB games one day when I had nothing to play simply because Faith stared at me from the cover and I stared back xD. The cover was super captivating with the red and white which stood out from any other disc. 

BLUS30179.jpg

Popped in the disc and I was greeted with one of the best atmospheric soundtrack ever. This game will always be special! 

In terms of difficulty, the first was pretty challenging but I managed to grab the plat and the 100% and even get 99 stars while I was at it :)

Since this is your one favourite series thread I'll reserve it to Mirror's Edge but otherwise I would've undoubtedly included Batman Arkham and TEKKEN in that list!

• Like 3

Well, mine is The Legend of Heroes series, mostly the Kiseki/Trails of saga.

Overall the franchise diificulty isn't the hardest, or the most grindy, but I just love this series so much. Have platinumed all games available (with stacks) and would do it again for sure! The best series in MY OPINION!

Edited by killivincent

51 minutes ago, PooPDeePie said:

Mirror's Edge : picked it up from EB games one day when I had nothing to play simply because Faith stared at me from the cover and I stared back xD. The cover was super captivating with the red and white which stood out from any other disc. 

BLUS30179.jpg

Popped in the disc and I was greeted with one of the best atmospheric soundtrack ever. This game will always be special! 

In terms of difficulty, the first was pretty challenging but I managed to grab the plat and the 100% and even get 99 stars while I was at it :)

Since this is your one favourite series thread I'll reserve it to Mirror's Edge but otherwise I would've undoubtedly included Batman Arkham and TEKKEN in that list!

Dude, I swaer, I always thought your Mirror‘s Egde stuff was kinda gimicky, but you just really fucking love these games.

Huge fucking probs for that.

Edited by Swifty-Joker
  • Like 2

Some of mine, with one example per genre:

Gun - Time Crisis: This really needs to get represented on PS4.  Sadly the first three & Crisis Zone cannot be played on the newer TV sets.  And it's about time for TC5 to be brought over.  Throw this entire series on a compilation & I'll buy it.  Namco, shut up & take my money.  I'd give up any chance of a new Ridge Racer for this.

Racing - Ridge Racer.

FPS - F.E.A.R. - The first two are great.  It's fun to use the slow-mo mechanic & watch your bullets leave tracers as they rip towards the Replica soldiers.  You hear them scream in slow-mo "Heee's tooo faaast!", then the thud of your bullets slamming into them as they get cut down.  It's hard not to LOL when a Replica tells one of his allies to "Shut the fuck up!".   Decent enemy AI, with them trying to flush you out, flank, etc.  Some good scares, & an amazing soundtrack by Nathan Grigg.  Something feels a bit off with F.E.A.R. 3- it's alright but I don't feel that it's a true game of that series.

Fighter - King of Fighters series.  SF V may have better graphics, but KOF XIV nails the gameplay & still looks fine.

3rd person shooter - Tomb Raider (the new ones, such as ROTTR)

Shoot'em up - Giga Wing series (give GW Generations a try on PS2)

Turn-based RPG - Legend of Heroes series (both Trails in the Sky & Trails of Cold Steel).  Reasonable difficulty with some challenging bosses, the Quartz system, & movement in combat make this series my favorite of this kind of RPG.   For Cold Steel, start with the difficulty 1 setting higher than you would in Sky.

Action RPG - Ys series.

27 minutes ago, Swifty-Joker said:

Dude, I swaer, I always thought your Mirror‘s Egde stuff was kinda gimicky, but you just really fucking love these games.

Huge fucking probs for that.

Lol thanks :) but I don't understand what you quite meant but ok XD. Do you mean that you thought I was just using the game as my avatar but I'm not a fan of the game itself? :D. (as evident by my current Avatar eh? :P )

Haha I actually even bought a ME t-shirt and it was the first time I bought video game merchandise which yea it tells you something :p. 

• Like 2

The SoulsBorne series, no doubt.

Difficult, aye, which is a point of confusion for some: how could it be that a supposed difficult series has such a high platinum %? A loyal and somewhat hardcore fanbase, some'll say. A system for summoning that makes the bosses far too easy and that allows for trading items important for some of the more grindy trophies, other will decry. Regardless, the difficulty is real, as many of us can attest to. I still remember the first time I met the Capra Demon in Dark Souls, how I couldn't look at my own dog for a couple of days in fear of lashing out at the poor mongrel (you know why, tell me I'm not the only one plz).

Now the difficulty isn't the only reason why I love the games, although it certainly plays a central role. The worlds of the SoulsBorne games are amazing, the way they feel, and that is affected by the difficulty of the games. The first time I played through Dark Souls from start to end I really did feel like the world was cold and abandoned, harsh and unforgiving, and despite being the Chosen Undead, it didn't feel much like in the heroic tales. No matter how powerful I was I always felt like a poor sod whose only strength was his perseverance, I could never match Ornstein in grandness, Seath in intelligence, Gwyndolin's curious and mysterious past - they all had something to them that I could not match. I was just a guy who for some reason were able to best these magnificent beings - perhaps they were just old and tired? Well, except from the Capra Demon - I was better than him. He was just an ugly goat face with a couple of dogs. Glad to see the end of his days. Even fights against NPCs like Havel the Rock felt like something larger than the fight itself. It just felt grand. And it was beautiful, oh so beautiful - the design, the music, the very nicely balanced lore. Don't look at me like that, I'm not that blinded by my nostalgia. I think.

On the topic of trophies: they are all quite easy. Demon's Souls isn't too bad, but I think I was lucky with the drop rates. Dark Souls, Dark Souls II and Bloodborne are all quite straight forward, requiring fairly minimal grinding and finishing the games 2 1/2 times for the two former and 3 times for the latter. Dark Souls 3 is quite grind heavy, unless you're good with PvP (which I am not), and you'll also have to finish it three times.

EDIT: Typos. Any other typos are left intentionally ... :awesome:

Edited by Bartoulum
  • Like 2

For me it's Final Fantasy and Tales series. In terms of difficulty, FF is harder but shorter and not very grindy. Tales trophies are all very easy but can be super grindy and long.

As far as the the platinums I have so far from each franchise ranked in order of difficulty from hardest/ longest to easiest:

Final Fantasy:

XIII: Very grindy with a lot of farming to do for the treasure hunter trophy. It took me 137 hours the first time, but I got the Japanese version as well and got the trophy a second time in 70 hours as they had easy mode with increased normal drops to 95%, hence making Gil easy to come buy so you could just buy materials instead of farming 1% drops. I'd rate the difficulty 7/10 on normal mode, and 4/10 on easy mode.

XII TZA: Not hard but long, it took me about 90 hours. It has it's fair share of super bosses and the infamous annoying Great Crystal, but provided you get good weapons and plan your gambits and jobs well, it's not hard. I'd give it a  4-5/10. Not grindy or tedious.

X-2: I've played the PS2 version 11 times so I consider myself a master of this game, or my friend once called me the "queen of FFX-2"?. It took me 80 hours and I got 100% and the platinum all in one playthrough, but I knew this game at the back of my hand so it was very easy for me. I also enjoyed the sphere break mini game.

FFXIII-2 and Lightning Returns: Both easy and took me 50 hours each. No grinding, just straightforward platinums with trophies for completing quests, filling the monster book, defeating certain enemies, mini games etc. 

FFXV: The easiest FF trophy, took 50 hours and I'd rate it a 3/10 difficulty. No grinding at all, nothing difficulty about it. The character episode trophies are quite hard though and require a lot of skill.  

I don't have FFX's plat as I could never manage the chocobo trophy or the lightning bolt one. I don't own type 0, world of FF, VII, XI or the online FFs so I can't comment on those. I know that Type 0 is short and simple but it's a tough game, while World of FF is very easy but long and grindy with mini games which I hate. 

Tales series were all easy but grindy and include mini games sometimes.

Vesperia, Xillia 2 and Berseria all topped the 100 hour mark and needed a lot of repetitive farming and grinding out artes usage etc. Also, Tales games tend to always have trophies for getting all items, titles, completing the monster book, all recipes, reaching max level, beating the final boss on various difficulties, watching a certain % of skits, subevent related trophies (particularly Xillia, Vesperia and Berseria) etc. 

Hearts R, Innocence R and Xillia were all super easy and short, only took about 50-60 hours each and no grinding. Innocence R was the easiest.

Graces F was in between, it took me 80 hours, had a moderate amount of farming but not as much. 

Vesperia was mini game and sub event hell though, and Hearts R had a few mini games but they were simple. 

I don't have the plats for Symphonia as it takes 5 playthroughs and 150 hours (no scene skip option...), or Zesteria as it is a rubbish game, horrible battle system, 100+ hours of grinding and just not worth the effort. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lava_Yuki said:

I don't have FFX's plat as I could never manage the chocobo trophy or the lightning bolt one.

Admittedly the Chocobo trophy can be frustrating but you'd eventually get good RNG for it. The lightning one is actually very easy, there's a spot where you can guarantee a strike and get the trophy done in about 15 mins - just takes a tiny bit of concentration and make sure you have something equipped with no encounters on. Judging by all the other FF's you've managed, these aren't too bad at all xD!

Spoiler

Edited by Zolkovo
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't really played many series or franchises of games over the years, but I'd probably have to give the nod out to the Souls series. Great series of games, with Dark Soul 2 being the only real disappointment. Personally, it has the best blend of difficulty, atmosphere, and leaves it to the players to decide where to go with their characters. The backstories of NPC's are intriguing and interesting, and don't forget about the lore.

The only other franchises that I have gotten is the Tales of and Dragon's Age. Dragon's Age is a great set of games and I loved it, but not as much as Dark Souls, and I haven't played enough Tales Of games to really make it my favorite - plus, it's to grind heavy.

• Like 1

Mass effect series. Although I only have 3 and Andromeda on my list, and 3 is only at 15%, I played the hell out of the original trilogy on x360. Andromeda is basically only an insanity play through from platinum and I am certain I am capable of platting the trilogy on ps3 when I get around to my next playthrough. Nothing in this series that’s insanely hard, just a few challenging or grindy trophies here and there. 

Also as far as enjoyable trophy lists, the splinter cell series. Plats on the original, pandora tomorrow, and blacklist thus far. 

Edited by matchpenalty
Added text
  • Like 1