I'm I the only one on this site who doesn't watch anime? (Sarcastic title)

bentenigan

1 hour ago, soultaker655 said:

Akira tends to get lumped in with 90s anime because it came out in the US on December 25, 1989. Also it's a movie so it has to be looked at in a different way when compared to T.V anime from back then, but that a whole other topic of discussion.

I would like to ask have you looked for the more mature anime that gets released? Because all the anime you have listed have been anime for kids or teens.

Like TV shows and movies many different anime are made for the many different Target Audience.

Pokemon is and always has been for kids, quite a few of the people who grew up with pokemon are upset at the show did not grow up with them in terms of story and characters (After 20 years of weekly episodes Ash/Satoshi the main character is still 10 years old even though he has been to and walk through all seven regions of the pokemon world more or less on foot.)

Inuyasha and Dragon Ball Z are part of the Shōnen genre which is made for teens.

I have no idea what kind of stories/ plots you like, but there is a chance that there has been a anime released since you stopped watching anime that you could like. Anime is just like TV shows and movies, it is just a medium to tell story, if you look for the type of stories you like you're probably find it anime you'll enjoy.

Akira was technically the 1980s. Us Americans didn't know anything about it until the 1990s, and at that time Akira was fucking badass. Probably my favorite anime ever.

I'm personally more into stuff like The Sopranos, Breaking Bad, Boardwalk Empire and Mad Men because there is an actual story and the characters are very believable. Though at times the sheer violence seen in these shows can be a bit too much for me so I go and watch some comedy like Saturday Night Live.

To be frank I'm not really into any cartoons anymore, including anime. Anime was a stable of my childhood and into my early teens but I much prefer live action shows these days. I will watch a cartoon or two every once in an odd while but not much. Same goes for anime, I lied about not seeing any anime for a decade because I've certainly seen my fair share in the past few years.

But then again all of the Simpsons characters are still the same age. Bart Simpson is still 10 years old today just like he was back in the early 1990s when The Simpsons was at it's pinnacle. These days only the hardcore Simpsons fans still watch the show, and I personally think it needs to end.

7 hours ago, ShadowReplicant said:

To be honest, you're not missing much. You can still find the occasional diamond in the rough, but it's safe to say that anime has had its day. The glory days of Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion, Berserk, Bubblegum Crisis etc. are gone and they're not coming back.

gp9py.jpg

The old animes have not gone anywhere. And I don't see how you can say they're not missing much, when you think there's good anime. They say they don't watch anime, so if there's stuff out there that is good, they are missing out. Honestly, I found your post to just be a rant about what you think about newer animes disguised as an answer to the thread topic.

1 hour ago, Undead Wolf said:

iv90Fsi.jpg

Let's try and be a bit more original next time. :P

I made that unoriginal joke because this topic is just as much. Not to mention that this is a troll bait topic and a lot of people seemed to have taken the bait, why would i try to be original for such an unoriginal, edgy scheme.

• Like 1

Damned westerners, talking about super old shows that they probably watched dubbed :awesome: 

I do wonder about two things after reading the thread (quite funny read actually =D)...

First, how many of 'I have never watched anime in my life' actually watched/saw Pokemon :awesome: 

Second, how many of the low post count accounts actually waited for thread like this just to rant :awesome: 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, ShadowReplicant said:

To be honest, you're not missing much. You can still find the occasional diamond in the rough, but it's safe to say that anime has had its day. The glory days of Akira, Ghost in the Shell, Cowboy Bebop, Evangelion, Berserk, Bubblegum Crisis etc. are gone and they're not coming back.

gp9py.jpg

Hey look, you can do a bullshit comparison with video games too. It's funny how that works.

3NxGhya.png

• Like 3

I do watch anime more than in the past. When there no TV shows to binge watch while playing games. 

Manga>>>Anime.

Manga portion is always superior....more detail and character development. No shitty fillers.

Edited by Kishnabe

22 hours ago, bentenigan said:

(Rambling and Strong Opinions)

I'm I the only one on this site who doesn't watch anime? Just wondering why so many trophy hunters are crazy about anime. Is it because of all those mayonnaise region-locked story games?

Mayonnaise is used as an adjective.

Ever heard of individualism??

22 hours ago, cckerberos said:

This is me as well. Watched a ton in college (was actually president of my university's anime club) and haven't really watched all that much since.

I don't know that I "grew out" of it per se, but a lot of what I used to think was fresh and exciting about anime doesn't seem so anymore. There are the occasional exceptions, but when I do actually see some new anime it often seems really, really cliched and trope heavy.

Same, I now seen to not really like all the mannerisms in anime anymore like all the exaggerated expressions and anime-specific facial emotions like the #anger mark etc.. I tried watching psycho pass as I liked the VN game on vita, but just couldn't get into the anime and didn't make it past the second episode. I don't mind games that are anime style like Tales series, Disgaea, KH etc. but watching it is another story. 

22 hours ago, YaoiGod said:

My favorite anime is Cory in the House.

Same.

15 hours ago, Undead Wolf said:

iv90Fsi.jpg

Let's try and be a bit more original next time. :P

Why so defensive?

3 hours ago, Skadoki said:

Okaaaay, I should stop reading last sentence of the post first.

"Mayonnaise is used as an adjective." really threw me off there.

It's a thing my buddy says that always makes me laugh, like this is mayonnaise or that is mustard.

Edited by bentenigan