I'm I the only one on this site who doesn't watch anime? (Sarcastic title)

bentenigan

I also don't watch anime but wouldn't turn it down if one was recommended by someone I share similar interests with...I actually own the whole Lupin III collection and most of the Hayao Miyazaki movies...which might seem kind of odd but to put it into perspective, my wife is Japanese, I lived in Japan for a decade, my kids were born there, and i'm very fluent in japanese...

i had a friend who was obsessed with naruto like 15-20 years ago and watched a few episodes with him...good stuff but I didn't feel the need to go home and inundate myself with it...come to think of it, I haven't watched it since...

i like some anime, dislike others but would definitely not say I watch it regularly at all...it ranks very low on my preferred genre of entertainment list...

in general, I don't like much of japanese pop culture, whether it be music, film, video games, literature, etc. but I have to admit some songs are catchy, some manga is fun to read, some anime is entertaining, some j-games are fun to play and so on...

the link between anime and gaming?...not sure...i think japanese culture is unique and because of this has gained worldwide popularity and has seen a particularly large increase in recent history...for some people japanese forms of entertainment such as anime, manga, video games, etc. are their #1 favourite...i really don't find it surprising that people who like anime also like Japanese video games or music or whatever...in fact, it would be kind of strange if they didn't...but that's just me..

On 24.3.2018 at 7:41 PM, BeautifulTorment said:

I have a general dislike for anime. I do love JRPGs though. The art style is fine to me if it is in a game. Not sure what your mayo has to do with it though.

Sums it up very well for me too as I genuinly dislike anime but appreciate the style if it's used in games. I do like some JRPGs a lot though with Persona being my favourite franchise. I even gave Persona Animation a try couple of months back but that was just way to much of a cringe fest to endure so I ditched the idea very quickly.

Don't understand why people assume it's a troll topic though as I asked the same question myself when posting on the forums with 2 out of 5 people having anime as avatars.

6 hours ago, DonGurke93 said:

Don't understand why people assume it's a troll topic though as I asked the same question myself when posting on the forums with 2 out of 5 people having anime as avatars.

Honestly, I don't think having an Anime/Manga avatar means that you are necessarily watching Anime. Some just like the art and choose an Anime avatar when looking for a good one to use on the forums.

For example, your avatar is by Ilya Kuvshinov who is inspired by Japan and Anime, thus drawing a lot of Anime fanart. Not saying you are a fan, but you apparently liked the art (and that's not a bad thing!). Ilya Kuvshinov is one of my favorite artists too <3

Edited by Izul

Used to watch anime when I was a kid and into my teens, stopped pretty much when I hit my 20s. If I watch stuff now, it's usually Ghibli films or some Noitamina show, but not that often. Don't mind the style of it in games as long as it doesn't look too obnoxious. Can't stand that Moe/lolicon crap.

Much prefer reading manga and some light novels.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...