Rushed ending to series?

Ripper

I said I would give this a full review after finishing, and here it is. Honestly, the first 4 chapters of episode 5 were among the best Telltale chapters I've played. It's a shame that the writing leading to it was so faulty. I did enjoy a few of the laughs with John Doe as the game progressed, but I just could not wrap my mind around the idea that Bruce flippin' Wayne, the single most important person in Gotham City, was slumming with known criminals, and no one seemed to bat an eye. In fact, no one seemed even to notice. I guess that pork pie hat he wore was an even better disguise than the Batman mask (which, apparently, every female can see through).

As far as choices, honestly, the world was pretty much perfect by the end of the game. Gordon was the commissioner, Waller was out of town, and Bruce was apparently going to enjoy a  menage a trois with Selina and Iman (the former had her criminal record completely expunged, and the latter, despite going against Waller, ended up with a better job than before), without Alfred wagging his finger at them.

Good times...

I guess now we know that Telltale is back and are making a season 3 so it's not really a big deal now. But for me, I was very disappointed in the last episode back when it seemed like it was the last batman season. I really loved helping John throughout the season and thought it was interesting how Harley was controlling him. It was satisfying to see him snap towards the end and become the Joker I know and love! But I feel in the end the journey was more satisfying than the destination, as the final episode just felt like a typical batman vs The Joker plot and telltales interesting ideas for the character ended, now they were just doing generic Joker stuff. 

I was fine with the choices, for the most part, I replayed the episode a second time to get the ones I wanted more. I wasn't a fan of the final choice with Alfred as it just seemed like an effort to throw in some last-minute shock value. Especially since when I finished the game was when we thought Telltale was done for good and that we would get no resolution. Now that we are getting season 3 there probably going to undo whatever you chose at the end for plot convenience in season 3, so what was really the point? I do like the Telltale Batman a lot, I just don't like the soap drama decisions they throw at you like in the first season when Falcone crashes the party, but whether you choose to shake his hand or not, the people of Gotham hate you like its junior high! 

Edited by wilwheaton5

i felt they went too far with the story, i could not relate it to any batman story i read before. When you watch the trailer you see so much potential, but when you play the game it felt like a messed up story with characters similar to the superhero who is batman.

On 2/12/2020 at 7:55 PM, Aboelsas said:

i felt they went too far with the story, i could not relate it to any batman story i read before. When you watch the trailer you see so much potential, but when you play the game it felt like a messed up story with characters similar to the superhero who is batman.

I see what you mean in that it is different from the comics. I just look at it like I do with the movies when I just consider it a different interpretation. I thought what they did with the Joker was interesting, but I do agree that trailers hyped it up a bit too much. 

On 2/12/2020 at 8:35 PM, savageamusement said:

Add me to the ‘why would anyone believe that Bruce Wayne was a villain’ Camp

I enjoyed most aspects of the game but definitely preferred the first season

I’d gladly buy a season 3 though 

I agree Season 1 felt a bit more like Telltales own story and their very different interpretation of the characters. The Villain thing didn't really bother me as much, although the Bruce Wayne sections were definitely more annoying to play than in season 1. But I did like that Bruce Wayne gets to know a lot of his villains as Bruce Wayne instead of as Batman. 

Edited by wilwheaton5

On 2/12/2020 at 0:35 PM, savageamusement said:

I’d gladly buy a season 3 though 

Yep. Me, too (though, like this season, I will buy it on the cheap).

On 2/10/2020 at 9:05 AM, wilwheaton5 said:

I guess now we know that Telltale is back and are making a season 3 so it's not really a big deal now.

This is known, huh? That's good news. Even mediocre Batman is still Batman to me, so I look forward to the continuation of my somewhat crazy universe.

• 10 months later...
On 3/29/2018 at 7:27 PM, Oblivion said:

You're not alone. Lots of loose ends not tied up and a really stupid ending choice. I've loved this series since Season 1 but i have to say, this episode was a mess.

At the very least i'm happy i chose Villain Joker. The guys that chose Vigilante got shafted so hard, it's sad. I'm certain a Season 3 will happen but it probably won't come for another 3-4 years.

Telltale's got their hands full with TWD and TWAU and i don't blame them, it's their best series. But i respect them for having stuck with Batman for this long, even though both games didn't sell very well.

THERE ARE NO SPOILER TAGS USED 

I chose Vigilante Joker. I thought the game would let me side with him apparently, you can't. He wasn't so bad at first but then he started killing I still sided with him because of what Amanda Waller had done.

On 3/30/2018 at 5:29 AM, DrakeHellsing said:

That never happened to me.

Hide contents

Joker was alone in his cell and talking to the Wayne doll and that was it for me.

Yeah I had the same ending as @Gladiator995.

On 2/6/2020 at 11:48 AM, starcrunch061 said:

Honestly, their choice structure fails when compared even to many VNs. What Telltale was able to do was tell a pretty emotional story, with solid character development. But for me, they really only did this a few times (TWD 1 and 2, maybe Tales from the Borderlands). The first Batman game was pure silliness, but I enjoyed it because it shook up the stale mythos a bit. But with Enemy Within, they just take it too far. Even I can't suspend the disbelief that the site of the city's most eligible billionaire at a bar would elicit only a minor mention in the newspaper. 

Character interactions are strained at best, and ludicrous at worst. The stupid woman who works at Wayne Enterprises (not Lucius' daughter, but rather the one that was in the first season as well) is particularly annoying.

The only times I felt something whether it be happiness or sadness anxiety, what I'm trying to say is that the only game where I had emotions where Game Of Thrones and Season1 Episode 5 (The enemy within). So I understand your point. I've played both Minecraft story modes, both batmans and also game of thrones so yeah 5 games and this is my experience with most of them I don't get emotions.

On 2/10/2020 at 10:05 AM, wilwheaton5 said:

I guess now we know that Telltale is back and are making a season 3 so it's not really a big deal now. But for me, I was very disappointed in the last episode back when it seemed like it was the last batman season. I really loved helping John throughout the season and thought it was interesting how Harley was controlling him. It was satisfying to see him snap towards the end and become the Joker I know and love! But I feel in the end the journey was more satisfying than the destination, as the final episode just felt like a typical batman vs The Joker plot and telltales interesting ideas for the character ended, now they were just doing generic Joker stuff. 

I was fine with the choices, for the most part, I replayed the episode a second time to get the ones I wanted more. I wasn't a fan of the final choice with Alfred as it just seemed like an effort to throw in some last-minute shock value. Especially since when I finished the game was when we thought Telltale was done for good and that we would get no resolution. Now that we are getting season 3 there probably going to undo whatever you chose at the end for plot convenience in season 3, so what was really the point? I do like the Telltale Batman a lot, I just don't like the soap drama decisions they throw at you like in the first season when Falcone crashes the party, but whether you choose to shake his hand or not, the people of Gotham hate you like its junior high! 

I wish we could have arrested Amanda Waller or something she's annoying. Also, I wanted to be friends with Joker but no we have to arrest him. You're right just for shaking Falcone's Hands they hated me it doesn't really make sense for them to do that. It seems that they will either make it so that Alfred comes back if you had chosen to give up Batman or They'll remove it from the continue your story section or there will be 2 stories 1 where you're batman and one where you're with Alfred but it's unlikely since the game is called batman.

On 2/10/2020 at 9:10 AM, starcrunch061 said:

I said I would give this a full review after finishing, and here it is. Honestly, the first 4 chapters of episode 5 were among the best Telltale chapters I've played. It's a shame that the writing leading to it was so faulty. I did enjoy a few of the laughs with John Doe as the game progressed, but I just could not wrap my mind around the idea that Bruce flippin' Wayne, the single most important person in Gotham City, was slumming with known criminals, and no one seemed to bat an eye. In fact, no one seemed even to notice. I guess that pork pie hat he wore was an even better disguise than the Batman mask (which, apparently, every female can see through).

As far as choices, honestly, the world was pretty much perfect by the end of the game. Gordon was the commissioner, Waller was out of town, and Bruce was apparently going to enjoy a  menage a trois with Selina and Iman (the former had her criminal record completely expunged, and the latter, despite going against Waller, ended up with a better job than before), without Alfred wagging his finger at them.

Good times...

Yeah how come they don't know Bruce is just faking and also yeah basically every woman can see through batman's mask maybe it's a new upgrade to make it transparent a bit for women who know that he's actually bruce wayne.

• 2 weeks later...

Why would anyone think it wasn't ever going to have a third game in the series? The big either-or choice near the end of the game doesn't make sense to not actually have a third game come after it, otherwise its just pointless and unnecessary and has no consequence

Edited by Two-pot_Screemer