'Light' games for an easy start? Suggestions wanted.

RachelCharlotte

Hey there, are there games you would advise if someone told you they didn't have the stomach for crazily fast movements in VR (yet)? In particular, the Stardust game and the Add-on for Battlefront seemed problematic, but most of the Playroom was fine. I've seen there is a new demo available and that one can get a demo of Moss this way which looks nice and 'endurable'. Any suggestions?

Definitely, Moss is a must have for PSVR! I highly recommend it!

I personally don’t experience motion sickness on any game I play. But I have a few games that aren’t too harsh for the stomach:

- Tumble VR

- Battlezone

- Farpoint

- AnywhereVR (a free “relaxation” app, but trophies are only on the Japanese version, and it’s fully English!)

- Job Simulator

Just to name a few.

Edited by Maxie Mouse
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Maxie Mouse said:

Definitely, Moss is a must have for PSVR! I highly recommend it!

I personally don’t experience motion sickness on any game I play. But I have a few games that aren’t too harsh for the stomach:

- Tumble VR

- Battlezone

- Farpoint

- AnywhereVR (a free “relaxation” app, but trophies are only on the Japanese version, and it’s fully English!)

- Job Simulator

Just to name a few.

Thanks, I'll take a look at those. Since I've seen Farpoint in stores before, did you play it with the 'lightgun'-attachment and does that add a lot?

Statik was great, puzzle game where you're seated so hopefully less motion sickness. Just finished I Expect You To Die myself, which was an awful lot of fun. Like a spy Job Sim, which is a good shout from Maxie.

Also a wonderful use of VR is in Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes. Asymmetric multiplayer - the player in VR has a bomb that they need to diffuse, the other players in the room see the bomb defusal manual on the TV screen. Hilarity ensues. 

Enjoy your foray into VR! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Captain Anura said:

Statik was great, puzzle game where you're seated so hopefully less motion sickness. Just finished I Expect You To Die myself, which was an awful lot of fun. Like a spy Job Sim, which is a good shout from Maxie.

Also a wonderful use of VR is in Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes. Asymmetric multiplayer - the player in VR has a bomb that they need to diffuse, the other players in the room see the bomb defusal manual on the TV screen. Hilarity ensues. 

Enjoy your foray into VR! 

I second all of these games (except Keep Talking, haven't played it). Still working my way through Statik, which is a great lot of puzzles. I Expect You to Die is like VR escape room- easier puzzles than Statik, and I'm sure you know Job Sim- if not it's a very good entry level to VR with a variety of jobs you can perform. If you've played Until Dawn the prequel The Impatient is a good one- it has movement but honestly I was fine, where as I got a little sick after a while playing Farpoint (still good and the aim controller is great. I just take that one in short bursts.)

As for a few extras- SUPERHOT VR is GREAT. Time moves when you move- meaning you can stand exactly still and plan your mode of attack. Batman: Arkham VR is another great one, how could I forget. Finally I will also mention Playstation VR Worlds. It's a great 'demo-esque' game with 5 smaller games you can try. The Luge and Scavengers Odyssey are quite motion heavy so play with caution BUT HONESTLY I WOULD PURCHASE THIS WHOLE GAME JUST FOR THE LONDON HEIST. Honestly such an amazing game. The dev's are making a follow up to that one called Blood and Truth so if you end up liking that one then make sure to keep an eye out for it.

That should set you straight for awhile ahah, while I've played and recommend all the games mentioned above, I still have a VR backlog I need to get onto :P

Edited by igs63
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Captain Anura said:

I second Keep Talking, it became one of my all-time favorite games, period (not just on VR). Very fun, but you need a good partner. Also loved RIGS, but it took a couple of sessions to get used to it, so don't try that for a first outing! I actually found Farpoint a little tough too, from a motion sickness perspective, so maybe save that one for later.

In my case, any motion sickness went away after 1-2 sessions, but I found it very helpful to have some fresh air when playing. I open a window and it helps a lot, but depending on your local weather conditions that may not hold true.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lorajet said:

Use sea bands (usually used for sailing and motion sickness) and you'll minimize your motion sickness.  That way you can enjoy more games!

I've never heard of those before and will definitely look them up (and whether they're sold here at all).

@Everyone: Thanks for all the tips, that's quite a list. There should definitely be something in there for me.

On 28/03/2018 at 4:22 PM, Karlsson89 said:

I've never heard of those before and will definitely look them up (and whether they're sold here at all).

@Everyone: Thanks for all the tips, that's quite a list. There should definitely be something in there for me.

I actually have a pair of these- they're little wristbands with balls that are supposed to be positioned to hit the right pressure point to reduce motion sickness (or something, I'm not a professional lol). Tried them on a long bus ride years ago and from memory they worked fairly well. Not sure how they'd go with VR but I do agree they'd be worth a go

Edited by igs63

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this video from Eurogamer last week and I think you can find some nice games to start with, if you haven't made your mind yet:

I like the way they ranked each game on a scale based on how much the game is physically demanding (beginner/intermediate/experienced).

So far, I bought/downloaded for free :

• Playroom VR
  • Until Daw: Rush of Blood
  • VR Worlds
  • RIGS
  • The Lost Bear
  • Statik
  • Batman Arkham VR

I only played the first 3 from the list, and they're fun and a great way to introduce you to VR.

• Like 1

Statik

I Expect You To Die

Accounting+

The Playroom VR (if you have a co-op player)

Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes (if you have a co-op player)

Eve: Gunjack

All games that I played and enjoyed and which have you just sitting down or standing at one point in-game. Playroom features a wee bit of movement depending on the minigame you're playing but nothing drastic. Come to think of it Accounting+ and Statik both have a bit of movement during one level too, but nothing big either.

I'll probably pick up Batman Arkham VR in the current sale myself, and it shouldn't be too hard on you either.

Edited by The Spark
Forgot mentioning for Keep Talking that you need a co-op player too. No extra controller needed though, booklet should be printed.
  • Like 1

Just don't do the same stupid thing I did, and try to ease yourself into VR with Skyrim... I'm not usually one to complain about things like motion sickness, but after the opening dragon encounter, I was ready to puke my brains out. I think it's a combination of my own head's jerky movements, and the way you can use the DS4 to move your vision, too. 30 minutes, and I had to take a break.

Batman VR is really light on sudden movements, and there was no motion sickness whatsoever when playing it. I agree with the dude above about the Eurogamer article -- they lay it out nicely with "beginner/intermediate/experienced" levels of exposure, just DO NOT take those tags lightly like I did. I can now see why Skyrim's rarity percentage is so low for this version; it's going to be an-hour-at-a-time struggle to try and work through this.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, iamjax said:

Just don't do the same stupid thing I did, and try to ease yourself into VR with Skyrim... I'm not usually one to complain about things like motion sickness, but after the opening dragon encounter, I was ready to puke my brains out. I think it's a combination of my own head's jerky movements, and the way you can use the DS4 to move your vision, too. 30 minutes, and I had to take a break.

Batman VR is really light on sudden movements, and there was no motion sickness whatsoever when playing it. I agree with the dude above about the Eurogamer article -- they lay it out nicely with "beginner/intermediate/experienced" levels of exposure, just DO NOT take those tags lightly like I did. I can now see why Skyrim's rarity percentage is so low for this version; it's going to be an-hour-at-a-time struggle to try and work through this.

I haven't played Skyrim VR yet but it might help to put the camera in third person mode, if that's allowed. It helps your brain realise you're just watching and that it's not your own body moving.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, The Spark said:

I haven't played Skyrim VR yet but it might help to put the camera in third person mode, if that's allowed. It helps your brain realise you're just watching and that it's not your own body moving.

Not a bad suggestion, from a psychological standpoint, but from looking at the in game controls, I think it was removed for "immersion".

I'm actually going to try out these nifty Move doodads and try the "warping" method of moving that they showed off in all the preview builds. I figure I play around with this for 10-20 hours, and then switch it back (if I really even want to, assuming I end up liking it). I was really stubborn against using Move motion controls initially, but it might be my biggest ally in playing this game since I do find the tech fascinating.

Keep in mind, I haven't played anything remotely similar to VR since the ill fated Nintendo Virtual Boy, so this perspective is completely new to my brain and it's a ton to take in. With Virtual Boy, all you had to worry about was those nasty neon red lines on a black back drop giving you the worst headache in the history of mankind (and maybe long term effects on your eyesight). I don't get the headaches with PSVR, but I've never actually had a game cause me to become nauseous, so it's like a whole new world.

Superhot

Job Simulator

Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes

These were the first 3 I played and had zero problems. If GT Sports came with the VR, do not try it until you've built up some resistance. I felt awful after 2 races and had to go lie down.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07
  • Like 1

I started with a motion-heavy game and just took alot more breaks as I adjusted to the VR. (Specifically RIGS with the motion sickness adaptions off) Even if you start on less motion-y games, you will have to ease yourself into the motion-heavy games. Either way, I recommend listening to your body and don't push it when you start feeling a bit "off".

Tumble VR (despite it's name) is extremely light if you are super concerned. I usually recommend Job Simulator or Rick and Morty for first timers since it's both engaging and not too heavy on the motions. Batman is also good but the controllers aren't for beginners. 

Games that don't have walking movement: dying light, weeping doll, catlateral damage: are light, but I can't recommend any of them as "fun"

The rollercoast Dawn one would be more intermediate since it is a rollercoaster, but I've started people with that one.

RIGS is hard with the motions. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, iamjax said:

Not a bad suggestion, from a psychological standpoint, but from looking at the in game controls, I think it was removed for "immersion".

I'm actually going to try out these nifty Move doodads and try the "warping" method of moving that they showed off in all the preview builds. I figure I play around with this for 10-20 hours, and then switch it back (if I really even want to, assuming I end up liking it). I was really stubborn against using Move motion controls initially, but it might be my biggest ally in playing this game since I do find the tech fascinating.

The Move controls look very stupid to me but they work for VR point and click,or point and grab, games. Bought two controllers because I knew I wanted to play Arkham VR eventually, but since then I've also done stuff like Accounting+, I Expect You To Die and some other stuff that uses Move.

I like the gun from Farpoint, by the way. I really should get back to that game.

6 hours ago, iamjax said:

Keep in mind, I haven't played anything remotely similar to VR since the ill fated Nintendo Virtual Boy, so this perspective is completely new to my brain and it's a ton to take in. With Virtual Boy, all you had to worry about was those nasty neon red lines on a black back drop giving you the worst headache in the history of mankind (and maybe long term effects on your eyesight). I don't get the headaches with PSVR, but I've never actually had a game cause me to become nauseous, so it's like a whole new world.

PSVR is the first full on VR for me. Even though I've played a bit by now (tried a lot before release on a PSVR event, initially bought one but it seemed like it had a production error, rebought one last year in a crazy Black Friday sale), I still got a bit queezy from Time Machine when I played it last December or January. Haven't gone on in Robinson yet, which I bought as well back then. Time Machine and Robinson are weird in the sense that the in-game machinery you hold looks like it should be controlled with Move but classic controller is the only option. Cool graphics though.