Do you consider "Gaming" to be a Sport?

Beyondthegrave07

Do you consider playing video games (competitively) as a sport?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Do you consider playing video games (competitively) as a sport?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't know (on the fence)
    • Depends (explain in comments below)

Would Golf be a sport?  How about race car driving?  

I am not sure that I would call it a sport, but I would absolutely not diminish the time, effort, and talent required to compete at the top level.  Just because it isn't hugely physical, does not mean it isn't a damn impressive accomplishment.  

I find my games both for fun and sport for me. Next week back to campus no time for gaming. As full time student and part time worker. Can be a hassle juggler job for me. I have Wii I play with my siblings it was so much fun. I play Super Mario Brothers racing. I used to play golf and soccer with mi Poppi and Tio when I was 5. Though out those years I missed it. Everything changed when my big brother introduces me to play PS3 and I get hooked. So in short. I basically play that I'm interested and similar to my skill sport. 

I find it hard to make a generalized statement considering the sheer range of what something under the broad term of a "videogame" can be. 

I don't think the whole "you need to have X amount of physical activity for your pasttime to qualify as a port" trail of thought leads anywhere as there's multiple sports that would contradict this argument. So i'd rather focus on the fact that there's multiple video games out there that i consider a possible platform for respectable competition as well as a source of entertainment from a viewership perspective. So yeah, i'd say esports are sports.

Most of the time, I would definitely not consider most "esports" tournaments and competitions a recognizable sport considering how easy it is to reach that level. It's heavily situational what should and should not be considered "professional" level, in my opinion. For example, in a game like Overwatch (on pc, where the highest level of play is), anybody can reach the highest rank in the game, but the issue is that these people think that they are top level players and are ready for world class competition. Very untrue. I'd reckon there are only 5-10 Overwatch professional players that are legitimately deserving of the title of world contenders, and the rest have either a lot of work to do, or are only used to fill a void around said actual top players.

However, that being said, it's not like there isn't a huge amount of time and dedication needed to even be considered good enough to be a professional video game player. I do absolutely think that those who pride themselves in being good at video games and are able to show it deserve credit where credit is due. I just think that there should be a much more definitive line in the sand as to what actually qualifies as quality eSports and professional play.

The argument that gaming cannot possibly be considered a sport because it's rather sedentary is one that I always found flawed since a game such as  chess can just as easily be considered a sport since it requires an individual to use their brainpower to the top degree in order to best their opponent. I really don't see why that physical exercise aspect of it is the determining factor when ultimately it is for entertainment, and both physical sports and video game competitions have similar methods of reaching that end goal. Obviously I wouldn't consider the majority of video games sports, and I think those who slap "eSports" onto practically every game that comes out are idiots, but those that can take strenuous activity to perfect and use in competition like most fighting games are perfectly fine to be used as examples of sports in their own league.

I think eSports is deserving of it's own brand (as it is now), but I do not think it should be clumped in with other physical sports and sporting competitions such as the Olympics. Both are in entirely different leagues and it's rather stupid to compare the two.

Nope. For me, sports is a physical activity like soccer, tennis, basketball etc. I don't count gaming, playing sports games like Fifa or watching sport on TV. Only actually playing the sport counts for me as actual sport, since I see it as a form of exercise

• Like 1

Like you say, it's a grey area. I don't know if I would consider them a 'sport' as per the definition, as many sports already do not fit into that category. Although video games are not a physical sport and do not require physical exertion, mental exertion is a thing as anyone who has ever studied for exams knows. It's still draining, and it can still leave you exhausted at the end of the day, or study session or whatever. If we're going to focus entirely on the requirement for physical exertion, we would no longer be able to consider golf, chess, darts, snooker/pool/billiards, fencing, bowling, curling, fishing, hunting or shooting, or any form of car race a sport.

Without doubt there is competition, and some people are simply better than others, whether it be in twitch reflexes, strategic planning and resource management or just memory. However, in a video game you cannot vastly outperform someone, as you are restricted by the game. You can't do something amazing and new if the game itself doesn't allow it. Taking Starcraft 2 for example, they use the same tactics and the same builds because they're not able to deviate, their competition comes from the ability to adapt in the late game. If there is something wrong in the game, the competitors can't control it, or the 'field' might be randomized depending on the game.

I think they should be respected as their own category, as the competitors are leagues better than the average player and they still put in hours of 'training'. But I don't think they should be classified with traditional sports. People are faster to call bloodsports like dog fighting, fox hunting or badger and bear baiting a sport than they are video games. Despite none of those requiring physical exertion or even skill for the uh.. 'participant'.

Edited by Asvinia

Video games *can* be competitive. Video games *can* be relatively popular. Video games *can* be entertaining to watch. None of these qualify the act of watching competitive popular video games as a sport for me.

It just doesn't fit with my expectations of a sport. That said, why do we have to cram it into the "sports" label? Why can't it exist as it does without being called a sport? Does it lose something by not being called a "sport"?

It appeals to a minority of the population and the stretch to call it a sport seems like a yearning for that minority to receive validation about their interests.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DaivRules said:

It appeals to a minority of the population and the stretch to call it a sport seems like a yearning for that minority to receive validation about their interests.

I agree with your point but it's hardly a minority. Have you seen the crowds that the major league competitions draw? Video games aren't something a handful of kids play in an arcade or in Mom's basement anymore.

league-of-legends-world-championship2014

League of Legends Championship 2014.

Courtesy of Riot Games and fortune dot com.

Although a $1billion industry is small in comparison to soccer, that was 2014.

@Asvinia Can't agree more with you on this. E-sports are becoming more and more popular. They can't deny it. League of Legends is just an example of a popular game right now, the're are several more. (Dota 2, PUBG, Overwatch, CS:GO,..)

graphicbig.jpg?w=1000

Source: http://ftw.usatoday.com/2014/09/espn-esports-league-of-legends-dota

Edited by PhantomBlade19

1 hour ago, Asvinia said:

I agree with your point but it's hardly a minority. Have you seen the crowds that the major league competitions draw? Video games aren't something a handful of kids play in an arcade or in Mom's basement anymore.

league-of-legends-world-championship2014

League of Legends Championship 2014.

Courtesy of Riot Games and fortune dot com.

Although a $1billion industry is small in comparison to soccer, that was 2014.

Earths population: 7.4 billion. Esports enthusiasts: minority. 

nope...competitive or not...not a sport...chess?...not a sport...society may disagree and that's fine...i still don't consider them sports as they are now...accounting can be pretty intense...especially around tax season...super competitive and also entertaining...i got a whole team working for me...physical exertion?...you should see these ladies and gents move...they prove their skill every year when the CRA leaves me alone...haha...

Edited by ProfBambam55
  • Like 3

I think this is all some undercover ploy to get video games under the national curriculum for P.E. (Physical Education) :ninja:

Interesting topic @Beyondthegrave07. Personally, I don't see video gaming as a sport whilst I do acknowledge Chess as being one. There are even established sports that I find questionable like curling. Unless you're a sweeper there's not much physical exertion involved and I believe it's far less entertaining and popular than video games, although I don't have any stats and figures to back this up.

I would probably submit competitive video gaming under the same grey category as competitive cooking/baking (Master Chef, Great British Bake Off etc.) xD

Spoiler

For anyone who thinks Chess doesn't involve physical exertion:

Related image

Edited by Zolkovo

1 hour ago, Zolkovo said:

I think this is all some undercover ploy to get video games under the national curriculum for P.E. (Physical Education) :ninja:

Interesting topic @Beyondthegrave07. Personally, I don't see video gaming as a sport whilst I do acknowledge Chess as being one. There are even established sports that I find questionable like curling. Unless you're a sweeper there's not much physical exertion involved and I believe it's far less entertaining and popular than video games, although I don't have any stats and figures to back this up.

I would probably submit competitive video gaming under the same grey category as competitive cooking/baking (Master Chef, Great British Bake Off etc.) xD

Reveal hidden contents

For anyone who thinks Chess doesn't involve physical exertion:

Related image

I'm sure curling takes some sort of balance and finesse, similar to archery or shooting a gun. It's easy to judge on those sort of sports when you never tried it imo.

I'm probably the only one who thinks this, but I think NASCAR (or car racing) is as much of a sport as baseball (so yes). The people changing tires in pit stops are insane and people don't realize this, but driving for a few hours at a time is physically painful for your legs, neck, etc. Drivers have to be physically fit to perform well in races. In other words, they have to physically train themselves outside of their sport to perform effectively. It might sound crazy, but I have a lot of respect for those who are into competitive racing. I'm physically fit and I don't think I could last driving 500 laps at 60 MPH, let alone 100 MPH and the focus required for that.

Edited by Beyondthegrave07

I don't think it's a sport for the sole reason that the word eSport exists, eSports is what gaming can become, sports is always sports, no matter in what setting you're playing in, either with your friends, family, or professional players in a stadium.

Gaming can become eSports once professional players are playing in a professional setting (not just in an arena, but also in an online setting). They have an audience and earn money through it, it turns into a job.

Obviously the eSports players are not nearly as popular as someone like LeBron James, but an eSport player can make a career out of it in the long term since you need a person to cast and/or analyze the match. Take Overwatch for example, there is an Overwatch League and two of the analysts were eSports players in the past, one of them played Overwatch itself and the other played League of Legends.