Naughty Bear: The Review

PSXtreme_

6767_158143727684628_790728685_n.jpg

Are you tired of the same old rehashed games? Well, here's something completely different. For those who don't have a clue about Naughty Bear, simply put if the game Tecmo's Deception and the Carebears had a baby, this would be the result.

A 3rd-person over-the-shoulder action adventure that puts you into the persona of Naughty Bear...an outsider in the land of stuffed bears. He's normally shunned by the rest of the island's inhabitants and has to defend himself, and his shack, from the assaults of the other "good" bears.

Usually, there are 2 to 3 different sectors within the 10 levels that need to be cleared of "enemies" by either scaring them to death or just outright killing them off. How you do it, is all up to you. The concept is brilliant and the amount of various weapons keeps the killings fresh. You also have the option of using sabotaged items as traps that also can be used to send fellow bears to their just reward.

536222_158155201016814_1717859997_n.jpg

The level themes are just as varied and you have all the expected flavors...a zombie level, a space alien level, an army assault and even a pirate invasion. Good stuff indeed. Along with that, there are also multiple styles of completing each of the levels. Some require you to remain stealthy, others just to kill off all of the enemies any way possible, sometimes it's a speed-kill run doing it within a set time limit, others require you to kill without any direct contact. All in all, it gets to be rather challenging.

Unfortunately, with all this going for it, NB still falls short. It's biggest problem, at least for me, was the non-responsive controls that had a second or two lag from when you pushed the button to when your bear responds. In a close-combat game, it really causes a BUNCH of constant retries, which we all know is greatly frustrating. The camera also could have used some fine tuning as it doesn't always let you see what is happening. There were PLENTY of moments when people walking outside my semi must have thought somebody with an extreme case of Tourette's Syndrome was inside. I'm sure mothers everywhere were hurrying their impressionable youth away from the area when I had YET ANOTHER FAILURE because of that GAD DAMN F****** Ninja Bear.

Anyway, if you have the patience, or even would like to exercise/strengthen what you have, I'd suggest giving Naughty Bear a try. It's a different breath of fresh air even with its issues and just the thought of slaughtering stuffed bears gives me a twinge of guilty pleasure. This one gets a FAIR rating of 6.5 dead bears outta 10.

72889_158154987683502_1936451716_n.jpg

Edited by PSXtreme_
  • Like 1

You need to expand your experiences...I've played MUCH WORSE...much much worse

Well I've been gaming for over 20 years, but I tend not to play terrible games if I'm aware of them. This isn't one of those that looked so bad... WRONG!

Of course, that's just my opinion anyway ;)

• Like 1

It seems you and I think alike, my friend. I always try to get the best out of a game instead of immediately forming an opinion. I played this at a buddies house and found it to be enjoyable and I've been meaning to pick it up.

Also, I'm glad you've decided to post reviews here. I always love hearing other members opinions on games, especially guys like you who seem to have a very similar taste in games.

Parker

• Like 1

Well I've been gaming for over 20 years, but I tend not to play terrible games if I'm aware of them. This isn't one of those that looked so bad... WRONG!

Of course, that's just my opinion anyway ;)

Yeah, I had much higher hopes for it too. Since I buy games both to collect as well as to play, I'm not as choosy with my game purchases. In doing so...I find quite a few real stinkers. Also, I was reviewing games on a professional basis for a while and used to handle all types of games with that too.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 years later...