PS+ April 2018

Gwendly

Just now, Riq IV said:

That's because people are talking in extremes and not posting their opinions as opinions any more.

The very first thing you learn in writing class is that opinions are not written with qualifiers like, "I think" or "In my opinion". It should be assumed that a disputable viewpoint is in fact an opinion. Read editorials in newspapers. No one says, "In my opinion...", because this immediately weakens the impact of their words. 

Obviously, "The Last Jedi is shit, and anyone who likes it must be wrong" is an opinion. The fact that it's phrased like a statement of fact doesn't change this. The real travesty occurs when, rather than tackling this opinion head-on, someone comes along and dismisses it with a far more useless, "That's just your opinion." Of course it's just his opinion.

If you think it's worth debating, then debate it. If not, then don't. Put him on ignore. Call his view moronic. But don't make up some ridiculous straw man because you won't tackle the issue head-on. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

The very first thing you learn in writing class is that opinions are not written with qualifiers like, "I think" or "In my opinion". It should be assumed that a disputable viewpoint is in fact an opinion. Read editorials in newspapers. No one says, "In my opinion...", because this immediately weakens the impact of their words. 

Obviously, "The Last Jedi is shit, and anyone who likes it must be wrong" is an opinion. The fact that it's phrased like a statement of fact doesn't change this. The real travesty occurs when, rather than tackling this opinion head-on, someone comes along and dismisses it with a far more useless, "That's just your opinion." Of course it's just his opinion.

If you think it's worth debating, then debate it. If not, then don't. Put him on ignore. Call his view moronic. But don't make up some ridiculous straw man because you won't tackle the issue head-on. 

Okay, I should probably be clearer in my wording (sorry if I messed up somewhere, not a native English speaker).

My point is not that they're not opinions, or that they don't post "I think that" in front of their posts.

My point is that everything posted needs to be so hyperbolic for so many people... It may seem like a strawman to you but all those statements I posted I've seen expressed right on this site as such. I didn't make it up, there's actually people talking like this. That's the sad part,I wish I was making these up.

I don't see what's"me not tackling the issue head on", what do you mean by that? My only point is that there's too many people who are full-on hate or full-on love, and can't accept any opinions that don't line up with their own.

Yes, I'm ignoring those people, which is why I'm much less active on the site these days. I don't feel like keeping up an argument with someone who can't see other people might feel differently, it's not worth my time or effort.

6 minutes ago, Riq IV said:

My point is that everything posted needs to be so hyperbolic for so many people... It may seem like a strawman to you but all those statements I posted I've seen expressed right on this site as such. I didn't make it up, there's actually people talking like this. That's the sad part,I wish I was making these up.

I certainly agree that people are rather...emotive about their viewpoints. But this isn't new (at least in the states). You should read some of James Agee's film critiques - that guy would have fit right on 2018's internet, and yet he was writing film reviews in the 40s. And I'm not even joking about this - you should read some of his attacks on critics who didn't like Chaplin's Monsieur Verdoux, of which there were many. Sometimes, he did nothing but descend into name-calling, and people consider him one of our greatest film critics.

At the end of the day, it's still just opinion. And, getting back to the thread, I hope the games this month surprise me, because they look somewhat disappointing. However, at least it's not Everybody's Gone to the Rapture.

Edited by starcrunch061

4 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

I certainly agree that people are rather...emotive about their viewpoints. But this isn't new (at least in the states). You should read some of James Agee's film critiques - that guy would have fit right on 2018's internet, and yet he was writing film reviews in the 40s. And I'm not even joking about this - you should read some of his attacks on critics who didn't like Chaplin's Monsieur Verdoux, of which there were many. Sometimes, he did nothing but descend into name-calling, and people consider him one of our greatest film critics.

I guess stuff like this has been around for a while, social media and always-online makes it seem to be more on the foreground though. But enough about that, I think we're basically on the same page but just arguing about semantics here.

4 minutes ago, starcrunch061 said:

At the end of the day, it's still just opinion. And, getting back to the thread, I hope the games this month surprise me, because they look somewhat disappointing. However, at least it's not Everybody's Gone to the Rapture.

... I actually enjoyed Everybody's Gone To The Rapture ?

I've played both PS4 games. For what it's worth...

Mad Max: thought it was cool, but it was enough of a grind that I got bored and just sped through the story missions towards the last hour or two of the story, and I didn't even go for 100% completion (might do this now that I have it on PS+).

TrackMania Turbo: tougher than it looks if you want to 100% it. I especially had problems with sliding sections. I traded the game on not because I had enough of it but because I wanted to wait on the PSVR stuff - which I hadn't gotten around to rebuying the game for yet.

Is Mad Max not showing up in the PS+ list for anyone else? 

I searched for it and it is priced as Free for PS+ so I was able to add it to my library... But it's not in the PS+ list on my end, which I thought was weird. 

2 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

I was actually excited this was on PS+. I had been hoping for it on Plus before they actually announced it. 

Perfect game to play when I was home on medical leave with a newborn. I enjoyed the story immensely, plus when the baby needed me I had soothing birdsongs and such as background noise, so very soothing for her too. 

Different games for different tastes (and different times). This was about the only game I felt comfortable playing at that point in my life, actually. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, SolarCat02 said:

But it's not in the PS+ list on my end, which I thought was weird.

you are asking Sony too much, they can't do anything right. I mean, look at free games this month.

This happens because the store updates gradually. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Katt said:

you are asking Sony too much, they can't do anything right. I mean, look at free games this month.

This happens because the store updates gradually. 

That makes sense. I have never been this prompt grabbing the Plus deals. Usually I forget until a week later or something. 

5 hours ago, starcrunch061 said:

The real travesty occurs when, rather than tackling this opinion head-on, someone comes along and dismisses it with a far more useless, "That's just your opinion." Of course it's just his opinion.

You know why people say that, though, don't you? It's because people aren't pleased that their opinion isn't shared, so they have to resort to demeaning their opinion by pointing out the obvious that it's their opinion. But they say it in such a brash way that they mean it in a passive aggressive manner.

You don't learn that in writing class, but it's a pretty simple ideology you learn in psychology.

2 hours ago, SolarCat02 said:

Is Mad Max not showing up in the PS+ list for anyone else? 

I searched for it and it is priced as Free for PS+ so I was able to add it to my library... But it's not in the PS+ list on my end, which I thought was weird. 

I was actually excited this was on PS+. I had been hoping for it on Plus before they actually announced it. 

Perfect game to play when I was home on medical leave with a newborn. I enjoyed the story immensely, plus when the baby needed me I had soothing birdsongs and such as background noise, so very soothing for her too. 

Different games for different tastes (and different times). This was about the only game I felt comfortable playing at that point in my life, actually. 

Mad Max didn't show up on the PS+ on the store either for me and the store is usually updated by now. It's still free if I searched it.