Vita CFW users should be banned?

Vita CFW?  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Vita CFW?

• Ban
    • Flag
    • Do nothing

1 minute ago, SnowxSakura said:

Shortly after that is when I think Kazaa popped up, and that one lasted for a few years before it was shut down

haha...good call...kazaa...another classic...not that I ever used it or anything...morally unacceptable...

Edited by ProfBambam55

10 hours ago, Zolkovo said:

I think assuming someone who has the one UR fighting gaming has cheated it is a tad unfair, since even I picked up SMB and plan on platting it through perseverance more than anything else despite the lack of platforming games on my profile (although I've played my fair share on other platforms). But that's neither here nor there.

Yeah I agree it's unfair and that is the point I was making haha. People are most likely legit but that thought pops in my brain. Just like the people who use a cfw vita there will people who will label them as a cheater no matter what. Also I'm not condoning pirated games. I was saying I'm ok with them purchasing other region games and using cfw vita if playing legit. Sorry if that was unclear.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, ProfBambam55 said:

hmmm, would be interesting to see the numbers...

I can tell you a healthy amount of Vita titles are digital only. If I had to make a guestimate, 25% of the overall library, or probably more. I'd say the majority of the games are digital only after Sony dropped support in early 2015. A good amount of these though would be stacks, so people aren't really missing anything, since their local store has a version. This is my understanding, at least.

if people still have to play them legit it's kind of a non-advantage 

So, as I'm sure you're aware, one of my major points is allowing use of CFW in any form, for leaderboard use, would change the existing rules (or create conflicting exceptions), and I heavily based my opinion on that fact.  So, to explain this a little bit better... when I've said "unfair" in many of my previous posts, I mean less about trophy point / game completion advantages (although thats part of it) , but more about the protection from unfair flaggings, based on popular opinion whenever grey areas exist. The disagreement in this thread among the users itself -- is the now un-hypothetical situation I said would happen before -- I didn't know it would be this, but I knew it would be something.

So... why/how does this matter?

Lets pretend for a second, that instead of creating this topic, the OP just went and had his friends flag some of the users mentioned in the first post, and the flag was approved.  The flagged individual would be able to make an argument in his dispute, that Sly's recent ruling in the Gonespy thread of "as long as you're earning the trophies doing the requirements it's okay" (not an exact quote) is fine. He would be absolutely correct, and it would be justification to remove said flag. However, the existing rule about CFW usage could also be used to explain why the user should stay flagged. And they would have been absolutely correct too. Since the decision is completely in the hands of a moderator, its not fair to the user, and it really shouldn't be determined by popular opinion at that point, or based on however the mods wanted to go either. 

Before some of you argue its not in the rules, yes it is... CFW region-unlocking is absolutely against the rules, and if you say otherwise, you're wrong.  I'll re-use MMDE's logic:

Premise 1: CFW is required to play different region region-restricted digital only games. ( <- assume thats correct)

Premise 2: You need to play the games to earn the trophies.

Conclusion: You must use CFW to earn trophies from different region region-restricted digital only games.

Premise 1: You must use CFW to earn trophies from different region region-restricted digital only games.

Premise 2: Using CFW to earn trophies is against the leaderboards rules.

Conclusion: Using CFW to earn trophies from different region region-restricted digital only games is against the leaderboard rules.

So, in other words, if something like this ever happened, the ruling of the flagging would be completely dependent upon how the rules would be changed, which is absolutely un-acceptable.  Had the OP had the ability to flag the user, this disaster would have likely occurred. I hope this makes more sense, since I actually had time to write this all out with time and thought, rather than quick breaks at work etc.

Restating: My opinion that existing rules should never be changed, and new rules don't contradict old ones, is based on the reasoning above. And if rules are to be handled in this manner, then it is a fact that they state CFW is prohibited, and the examples in the OP should be flaggable.  Predictability is better than dividing the community on a hot topic, since you can always point to black and white, and that topic was already covered previously.

Edited by B1rvine

My thoughts about some of the things said in this thread:

• If you want to ban or allow a specific things, what's wrong with that? Why do the rules need to be made up only of the broadest possible statements - like saying that allowing CFW in one specific situation means it has to be allowed in all other situations? What even is this logic?
  • Why on earth would pirating a game make any trophies earned illegitimate? How is piracy relevant here? And is it even piracy if you own the physical version of the game?
  • Is syncing trophies from a second account any different to creating a new user and then later signing in to it? Can these trophies be synced more than once (to multiple accounts)?

As far as I'm concerned, if someone plays the game and earns trophies according to the requirements of the trophy then it should be allowed.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, B1rvine said:

25% of the overall library...

the decision is completely in the hands of a moderator... 

I'll re-use MMDE's logic...

My opinion that existing rules should never be changed...

interesting number...

since the rules have been created I've always thought they were odd...we have glitches being an unflaggable offense but implausible time stamps being flaggable...so if I say "glitch" and you say "implausible time stamp" we could both be correct but the decision is completely in the hands of the moderator even if I'm telling the truth about the glitch and the moderator is sure the time stamps are implausible...the main factor in the decision seems to be "was it properly documented?" which is kind of silly in a sense...i understand it's to prevent everyone from saying "glitch" but it's possible that some glitches were just not documented properly so a person was unjustly flagged...the point here is that there is a technical conflict within the rules already...where does it say glitches need to be properly documented?...and damn, wouldn't it suck to actually come across a rare glitch and have to try to prove it in a dispute?...and wouldn't it suck even more if that glitch occurred before this website even existed or gained popularity?...

mmde's logic is the basis of this discussion...for some people, 

cfw obtained games = illegitimate trophies... for others, cfw obtained games = cfw obtained games and that's all it means...

I find this line of thinking that "rules should never be changed" rather close-minded and short-sighted...if we think of real history, it would be ridiculous...so many people wouldn't have rights in society and our driving rules would likely apply to horse carriages and extrapolated to include cell phone use while operating a motor vehicle...and what about alcohol and marijuana use?...capital punishment?...slavery?...i could go on but there's no point...rules change regularly and usually for what a majority think is for the better for society and they are often modified to accomodate modern times...i'm glad that is the case but perhaps some people are not...

i have a few specific questions about cfw vita use that i think would be wise to address at some point...1. are we sure that custom firmware (cfw) is even needed to unlock region-specific digital-only content?...it would seem the, let's call him, "vita expert" explained that cfw is not needed to have the trophies displayed on one's main account...as in someone could technically buy the digital verison of a game from a certain region that is locked to their main account by creating a 2nd account from that region, earn the trophies, and use some kind of program to transfer them to their main account...honestly i didn't really get the specifics as this is not really my area of expertise but i think that was the gist of it...am i the only one who read that? (is that what this means?)...for the record, i do believe pirated vita games exist but my point is that is it possible that not everyone who has multiple regions' digital content pirated the games?...which would make the thread title incorrect and the results of the poll potentially meaningless...the question would then be "is using third-party software to transfer legitimately earned trophies to our main accounts acceptable?"...and "how do we differentiate between pirated games and people using software exclusively to transfer legitimately acquired content?"...thoughts?...confirmation anyone?...

also, do we know when this supposed cfw method began or when the cutoff for the previous factory reset/memory card workaround ended?...

an unrelated and might seem odd question is what is the exact logic behind disallowing games that people cheated the system to obtain if that is indeed the case?...what i'm hearing is "because it's a case exceptional to our rules which cannot be changed so we will have to twist to make fit"...and..."we think that using third-party software to obtain games = cheating to obtain content = cheating to earn trophies"...ok, but why?...is it because it's not legal?...is it the use of third-party software?...is it because the trophy times are implausible?...is it the unfair advantage idea?...is it because the games are potentially free?...is it because a pc is needed to obtain the games or transfer the trophies?...to me, this is the most relevant point...the "why shouldn't it be allowed?" which I and possibly many others find irrational and conflicting with the rules that currently exist and the kinds of methods that are currently acceptable in obtaining trophies we allow on the leaderboards...

Edited by ProfBambam55

7 hours ago, mekktor said:

If you want to ban or allow a specific things, what's wrong with that? Why do the rules need to be made up only of the broadest possible statements - like saying that allowing CFW in one specific situation means it has to be allowed in all other situations? What even is this logic?

It's not about specific rules vs broad rules. (For me) it's about changing existing rules at any time based on popular opinion.  Here's a scary thought -- what if someone reading this thread is inspired to create a new thread requesting just "regular region stacking" to be against the rules for whatever reason. A lot of people think region stacking is lame, and it could very well be an overwhelming popular vote (and if not that, something else).  

How is piracy relevant here? And is it even piracy if you own the physical version of the game?

It's relevant because it proves they are using CFW, and currently CFW usage is against the rules. There is no physical version of the games in question.  Even if there was, yes, it'd still be piracy.

7 hours ago, ProfBambam55 said:

we have glitches being an unflaggable offense but implausible time stamps being flaggable...so if I say "glitch" and you say "implausible time stamp" we could both be correct

Incorrect.  Those are referencing really two completely different scenarios. The impossible timestamp rule covers an issue where if, today, a trophy unlocked in 2020, or 1991 would be flaggable... Impossible timestamps also cover if an entire game etc is platinum'd within say 30 seconds (excluding games like SoundShapes, Slyde where that's possible). 

Glitches, on the other hand are about doing something in the game, thats completely possible (and repeatable) that may not have been noticed by the devs. I don't have any specific examples, but something like a wall at the edge of the map being possible to walk through, to obtain a collectible that pops a trophy (that was likely intended for later).  Since everyone would be able to take advantage of that glitch, it is also not implausible, since its explainable.  Extreme glitches, as I'll call them, are generally universal too, ie scavenger in Last of Us, unlocked first for everyone, rather than individual collectible trophies, and the difficulty trick is doable by everybody, even though it wasn't intended by the devs. But when somebody's "Wanted" popped 1 year before "Cut your Teeth" and the rest of the game popped in a single second, and they yell "GLITCH I SWEAR", no, as you have correctly observed and mentioned...

There is a technical conflict within the rules already...where does it say glitches need to be properly documented?

Incorrect. They don't, nor need to be. If there is a completely unusual occurrence, a disputer just needs to explain what was going on.  Sometimes the flag team can try to re-create the glitch, other times people within the dispute will verify their story. Even if no confirmation is done, this stuff gets unflagged typically, or is never approved to begin with.  If there is a known pattern because a save file unlocks a certain way, then the glitch must be documented/repeatable during the dispute if that's what they're claiming, since there's evidence to the contrary. 100% of the disputes where someone says glitch and the flag team dismisses that possibility, is because of known save patterns.

Rules should never be changed ... if we think of real history ....

So, you're correct here. Where to start...  So I view trophies as my standing in a competition, not as my criminal record or just my general trophy history (I'm gonna guess thats the basis of disagreement in this thread, depending on which view people take). One thing to take into account is trophies are permanent on your account.  If we're looking at your example in real society, actions people take based on new laws can be changed when that law is applied while our trophies cannot be changed.  Using the competition example, I see this as saying "We're in the middle of a game, and by the way, we're changing the rules now, the guy who broke the rules last quarter and disqualified gets to come back and play now."  This was sort of my basis for my "opt out of leaderboard" or "two leaderboards" idea.  Some people would tell you using saves or editing with CFW isn't cheating, I bet... which would be what the latter LB would be for.

There's also different types of change, some acceptable and some not, in my opinion.  Additional rules being added (again, that don't conflict with old ones) would be okay. Reversing previous rules just because people don't like them wouldn't be (although, keeping the clients happy as you said in PM is a good point too). On PSNP, as far as disputes go, its almost like case law.

are we sure that custom firmware (cfw) is even needed to unlock region-specific digital-only content?   

am i the only one who read that?

Nope. I did, and MMDE did.  That's why I said "assume this is true" before.  I'm pretty sure MMDE said somewhere in this thread this discussion was pointless since there was a way to do it, based on that guys findings, and none would be flagged anyway because of it. I'm having the discussion at this point more for the broader issue, of similar disagreements in the future.

what is the exact logic behind disallowing games that people cheated the system to obtain if that is indeed the case?

the most relevant point...the "why shouldn't it be allowed?"

For me, personally, a mix of all of those things you mentioned to some degree.

I'd like to attempt to keep the leaderboards as "equal and fair" as possible to what I generally think the PSN community (not the PSNP community), does as a whole... where everyone is earning the trophies in the same manner. Is 7 year old Timmy who just plays games and tries to unlock trophies, and only checks this site once every four months going to know or be aware of how to do all this fringe stuff? Nope... He plays by Sony's rules, as we all should -- ie the most neutral stance. Like if a random PSN dude saw your Bulletstorm trophies, and be like "WTF how??? Report... to Sony..."

Some things can't really be defined very easily, others can't be enforced since there is too much plausible deniability.  Ie, "what exactly defines a team? Husband/Wife? Group of Friends? People paying each other? How would we prove that? or "Prove to me my family in Europe wasn't visiting to me, and I played their digital only game on their Playstation 3/4 while they were with me."  The few things PSNP does like boosting (that is against Sony's rules) honestly wouldn't be provable either, if the boosting sessions didn't exist. Someone could just claim, "I played vs a dude who really sucked"... With the Gonespy or CFW Vita region unlocking, its specifically definable.

Edited by B1rvine
  • Like 1

sorry, too long to quote...

so this isn't about morals then...at least we've covered that part of it...

the issue with trophies being seen as a competition and not meriting periodical updates or rethought of the rules of engagement and which makes them more in tune with society's is the lack of any kind of foreseen end...almost all pro sports/competitions have seen rules changed over time...with pro hockey I swear they change like every two years...usually as a result of new technology and methods...and no, nobody is exempt from joining the all time scoring leaderboards or whatever as a result of such changes...with most competitions there are seasons or some kind of defined beginning and end where it's easily possible to implement, create or modify various aspects of the games/sports/etc...i think the lack of such in terms of leaderboards on this site is what makes considering new rules based on evolving technology completely acceptable...

i think what makes the changes some are asking for unique is that they do not imply making things flaggable that were once unflaggable but rather the opposite and they are about new areas that didn't exist when the rules here were created...the things are either so new that barely anyone has earned any of the affected trophies or currently unflaggable anyways so it really wouldn't affect much other than a few words in our flag system if they were added as exceptions...if the opposite were true, and rdr comes to mind here, I think it would be safe to say that the site would say "nope, exceptional case...not going to flag"...and although I disagree with allowing them on the leaderboards as the trophies can be earned 100% legit, I find it acceptable and I think many do...

as some are possibly aware I've proposed a white list for games where hackers can auto-pop people's trophies without their consent that I was surprised to see a large majority support but it hasn't been implemented and people are still getting flagged for some of these games...should it be put into place some day, will the mods contact everyone who hid the game and say "you're good to unhide it now"?...i could be wrong but i doubt it and also doubt that a white list will ever be formally implemented...no one thought we should separate or opt out of leaderboards over it...life here kinda just went on...i did notice that it's kind of been pick-and-choose with these games since and that many are now going unflagged, which is nice to see...it shows that the idea saw serious consideration...

I think anyone who wants to report someone's trophy list to Sony will do so...it applies to all of us all of the time...i've had people say they would report me to Sony and psnprofiles over having a 100% list (they were sure I had to be a hacker) but that's up to them and I'll deal with the consequences should it ever affect my account(s)...

I don't really understand the difference between the psn and psnp communities considering we have forums, people added without their knowledge, casuals, trophy hunters, etc...do we have a larger majority who care about trophies here?...maybe...but maybe not...if we are to separate them how do we do it?...premium members vs members vs forum goers vs gaming session users vs people who use it to track data for their own profiles vs people who were added by other people vs casuals vs?...so basically the psn community?...are there more trophy hunters in the forums?...maybe but I'm not sure that it covers the site leaderboards...if you go to the last page, which I've never actually done (I'll do it in a sec out of curiosity), I'm guessing you might see people with very few trophies and possibly even ones with few trophies that were not earned recently but I could be wrong...

I really don't think there are two communities...what I'm seeing is psnp saying "we want to be like Sony for some things but we don't want to be like Sony for others"... I mean isn't the whole concept of the flag system not part of how the psn works?...but that's ok, a majority thinks it's good...i don't see a difference to the current debate...after all, the rules set here apply to many people who are not members...

side note : my brain has just processed that this whole topic won't result in flags so until it does, I'm out...off to download some pirated media while using gonespy to play Bulletstorm...i'm joking...hosting family...happy Easter... 

Edited by ProfBambam55

@ProfBambam55 (also too long to quote since on my mobile)

First, I agree with a lot of what you say there but one major disagreement.

Let me expand on what I said before regarding the “why.”  Not every trophy hunter is a PSNP user. PSNP is just a tool to me, to make it easier for me than viewing profiles on my PlayStation etc. So, I’m really comparing myself to the general PSN community. Since PSNP is a 3rd party and they’re not actually making the initial rules, PSNP shouldn’t make severely incompatible rules with that of PSN itself. If PSNP does make incompatible rules, they should be stricter, not more lax, as in PSNP would be a finer focus etc. 

Example: PSNP’s rule with save usage is stricter, since Sony wouldn’t ban for “out of order trophies” if using a USB backup etc, which is fine since our leaderboard isn’t Sony’s. But if I started going by PSNP’s rules only, and wanted to switch back to the “official PSN” trophy leaderboard, I couldn’t do so now, without breaking their rules, assuming I did something to stay competitive, and that would bother me a great deal, since it’s sort of the “most official” scoreboard. Would I really be worried Sony would do something? No, but it’s kind of the principle that bothers me.

Edited by B1rvine

18 hours ago, B1rvine said:

Lets pretend for a second, that instead of creating this topic, the OP just went and had his friends flag some of the users mentioned in the first post, and the flag was approved.  The flagged individual would be able to make an argument in his dispute, that Sly's recent ruling in the Gonespy thread of "as long as you're earning the trophies doing the requirements it's okay" (not an exact quote) is fine. He would be absolutely correct, and it would be justification to remove said flag. However, the existing rule about CFW usage could also be used to explain why the user should stay flagged. And they would have been absolutely correct too.

Ah. So, if I went out of my way right now to skim through those Chaos Rings trophy lists that are digital-only and sent a PM on its way with the very usernames on the games' PSNP leaderboards that cannot possibly be on there due to regional restrictions (not without having used henkaku or exploiting the possibilities in the firmware which supposedly still works on current OFW), the result of a moderator trying to tend to those findings would either lead to pandemonium (well, if made public by a dispute, that isor a stalemate.

I didn't consider this angle before. Thanks for writing it out like that. 

Frankly, I'd be a little disappointed by either outcome (as both aren't promising an irrevocable, final decision on the matter of flagging), not that my feelings mean much as all but the decision to compose a message or not is out of my hands anyway.

1 hour ago, Azelais said:

Ah. So, if I went out of my way right now to skim through those Chaos Rings trophy lists that are digital-only and see hint a PM on its way with the very usernames on the games' PSNP leaderboards that cannot possibly be on there due to regional restrictions (not without having used henkaku or exploiting the possibilities in the firmware which supposedly still works on current OFW), the result of a moderator trying to tend to those findings would either lead to pandemonium (well, if made public by a dispute, that isor a stalemate.

I didn't consider this angle before. Thanks for writing it out like that. 

Frankly, I'd be a little disappointed by either outcome (as both aren't promising an irrevocable, final decision on the matter of flagging), not that my feelings mean much as all but the decision to compose a message or not is out of my hands anyway.

I'm curious as to what this means...are you saying you pm'd the people on the list?...or pm'd someone asking them to flag people on the list?...if the latter, I would recommend against falsely flagging people...i'm not sure if you're aware but as the flag rules stand now, the post below kind of puts the trophies into the category of unflaggable as they are not necessarily obtained using cfw...meaning no debate should surface and the flags should be dropped without dispute...unless of course now psnp allows disputes for false flags...in which case some people might make a hobby of going out of their way to falsely flag people...the conversation that occurred in this thread would've basically occurred in the first dispute of a case like this...but we've already had the conversation so we're good to go...yay!...

we could always create new rules to allow/disallow these cases but apparently the cheat team would be strongly against this...and we would be back to square one with the discussion of who gets to decide which rules to apply...this time with relation to using third-party software to transfer legitimately earned trophies on legitimately obtained games from one "legitimate" (in quotes here cuz falsifying info to create accounts is illegal) account to another...i'm open to it...anyone else?...haha...

Edited by ProfBambam55

Don't worry, @ProfBambam55, what I wrote before was strictly hypothetical, all musings about 'what if?'. I'm honestly not about to do anything. (Especially because as of right this moment, I'm super busy fighting it out with the weird sliding puzzle minigame in the Psycho-Pass VN that I started playing!)

While I dropped out of the console hacking scene with the ultimate fading of the (lovely) PSP, I still follow it very closely, so this topic - coupled with the fact that I am very much a 'portable gamer' as opposed to a 'console gamer' - simply keeps me coming back, like a moth to the flame. 

21 minutes ago, Azelais said:

Don't worry, @ProfBambam55, what I wrote before was strictly hypothetical, all musings about 'what if?'. I'm honestly not about to do anything. (Especially because as of right this moment, I'm super busy fighting it out with the weird sliding puzzle minigame in the Psycho-Pass VN that I started playing!)

While I dropped out of the console hacking scene with the ultimate fading of the (lovely) PSP, I still follow it very closely, so this topic - coupled with the fact that I am very much a 'portable gamer' as opposed to a 'console gamer' - simply keeps me coming back, like a moth to the flame. 

my reply was simply a direct response to your musing...i'm not in the least bit worried...thankfully some people are thoughtful by bringing up these kinds of discussions before just mass flagging a large group of people...this would be a ridiculous convo in a dispute so +1 integrity point goes to the community on this one...

On 29/03/2018 at 0:17 PM, EareosMineCraft said:

Sorry to ruin your little shit on CFW users, but id like to point out it *IS* possible to unlock trophy's from another region,

if the game has a physical release just use that, all vitas outside china are region free.

but even on digital only games it is possible, 

you dont need CFW. you JUST need a way to run the "psnreg:" uri - this could be using *hidden applications, or vitatricks.tk

this allows you to re-run the psn sign up application, which is normally only ran after a factory reset,

via a little bug in the application it is possible to change to a new account using it even without rebooting the vita..

this has some interesting effects on the Trophy Mannager app, if your already signed into PSN

to give you the jist of it, the trophy mannager will read the account id from the registry, but will sync to the account thats signed in.

knowing this it is acturally possible to sync trophys that you did not earn on that account

it acturally explains how to do this in the guide on how to use *Hidden applications to switch accounts, https://pastebin.com/raw/CiTUyjr4

to quote:

reminder, that absolutely NO CFW is required to do this process. it can all be done on unmodified OFW, 3.67.

Its "possible", but you'd need to use psvimgtools (CMA backup extractor) to change the account its locked too, even then it probably wont boot due to DRM. it will if its a demo / app though most of the time since they have no DRM.

So... If I use this am I going to get flagged? @MMDE @grimydawg

6 minutes ago, MMDE said:

It's a good question, but why can't you stay away from doing shady stuff to earn trophies? :P 

I have never done anything "shady" when earning trophies. I was actually on the fence about this when CFW was required. 

But I mean, if you looked at my profile, I like doing stacks and I like doing games with online.  

4 minutes ago, Shadiochao said:

Can you even get it to work? I tried and it seemed to do everything it said it would except sync the trophies to the new account.

Haven't tried yet, would have to reset my Vita in order to try and seems kind of pointless to try it if it will never be allowed

I voted do nothing. I think this is responsibility of sony not psnp! If you really want to prevent this problem, hunt down the source and report to sony.

Their magnitude will increase soon when 3.67 exploit will be release!

Source: 

12 hours ago, midgetstrawdog said:

I got it to work on the latest update, no download to my Vita what so ever. @Sly Ripper, could I please get a ruling on whether I would be flagged for this on my main account.

My alt australian account that I used

https://psnprofiles.com/TheKronoviOfEU

Wondering the same as the above, from what I've heard this doesn't involve any third party software, and is just a longer way of being able to swap accounts on the vita ?

I'll try the method Midget used later on one of my alts to confirm as well

1 hour ago, ThePriceysRight said:

from what I've heard this doesn't involve any third party software

Yeah, yeah, cause so called "*hidden applications" required for that hack or "vitatricks" website are both Sony official legit software... (not)

• Like 2