Vita CFW users should be banned?

Vita CFW?  

228 members have voted

1. 1. Vita CFW?

• Ban
    • Flag
    • Do nothing

4 hours ago, ProfBambam55 said:

I see, so how does the system work to obtain these games on their region-locked account?...nvm I'll google it...curious...

There is no way to get digital only games on a different region, without CFW on the Vita.  

I'm going to take a playful jab at you here, since we usually get along (and I really don't want to debate).  But yeah, at least two of those hypothetical scenarios we talked about have come to fruition from the Gonespy thread. If anyone Pro-Gonespy supporter says no to this situation, they're hypocritical. Again, just sort of a playful jab here (no offense intended) but this thread sort of verified my concerns of potentially cherry picking the rules by popular support occurring.

Edited by B1rvine
  • Like 1

they ARE getting banned, well, their systems at least. just like IDPS ban on PS3, and it can be bypassed by spoofing the VitaCID. I think this method is way more destructive for a Vita than a PS3. trying to get a physical game just to play offline, if you live outside the US, this could be nearly impossible. A expensive paperweight.

7 minutes ago, SunnyCrappyYT said:

Maybe there is a way to have multiple accounts on PS Vita now? Wouldn't surprise me. 

Yes, but again, requires a CFW.

1 hour ago, ScooloV said:

I wrote to MMDE and BlindMango and didn't get any answer, so I want to ask other forum users:

You did to me at least, but I somehow missed it. Must have opened it in a new tab and closed it or something, was in a bad mood yesterday and has gotten rather ill. Someone did bring this up to me for a half month ago too. What they linked me to was a game with a physical release though.

3 minutes ago, Phil said:

Just because you have a cfw vita, ps3 or ps4 doesn't mean you auto pop trophies. I know plenty of very respectable trophy hunters who have cfw systems. There are more than a handful of people that are looked up to in THIS community who have cfw systems. That doesn't mean jack shit.

It's more about if the trophies are legitimately obtainable for everyone or not. You'd have to CFW your Vita to play these games.

Not really against CFW or anything, more about what people use it for. If they use it to earn trophies for games they shouldn't be able to play, that's more of an issue. If you want Japanese voices in your Persona 5 or FFX, I don't give a flying fuck.

Edited by MMDE
  • Like 1

If you could buy the game and just needed a CFW Vita to play it, I wouldn't see the problem. However, since you wouldn't be buying the game, I think it should be flaggable.

It really sucks not being able to play digital only games from other regions on your main account, but if you really just want to play that game, you can make a separate account and play it that way. You can get PSN cards from different regions fairly easily to buy it. 

No, you wouldn't get trophies for your main account, and yes, it is a pain to put a different profile on your Vita. But it's more than possible to be able to play the game and get everything in it without the need of a CFW Vita.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, SnowxSakura said:

They jailbreak their system to bypass the region locking

seems like it was possible with a simple  system format up until 2012-13-ish...not sure what the patch number was...

and so now 2nd question...are the trophy time stamps legit...if so, who cares?...as far as I can tell, it's their risk if they choose to work around the region system...it's silly that the accounts are region locked in the first place...physical is not region locked, digital is...seems even more silly... 

Edited by ProfBambam55
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Se7en said:

That’s why people shouldn’t be removed from leaderboards ipso facto they played on jail-broken Vita, but only if there’s irrefutable evidence the trophies in question are earned illegitimately according to this site rules (impossibly out of order, unreasonable time frames, unobtainable after servers shut down, etc. -- the usual stuff).

Please, not this “unfair advantage” fig leaf: anyone with team account, more spare time or money on their hand has an “unfair” advantage over hundreds of thousands other players. There is nothing fair about leaderboards currently, trophy hunters aren’t competing in the same controlled environment with equal conditions for everyone.

They are not earned legitimate if what you need to do to earn them is run CFW. This is against the rules AFAIK.

40 minutes ago, midgetstrawdog said:

IMO this is the opposite of this. The NA store has a lot of digital Vita titles not available to the rest of the world. If every Vita title is able to be gotten by everyone no matter what region their account is surely that creates a more level playing field than the current one? 

10 minutes ago, Se7en said:

That’s why people shouldn’t be removed from leaderboards ipso facto they played on jail-broken Vita, but only if there’s irrefutable evidence the trophies in question are earned illegitimately according to this site rules (impossibly out of order, unreasonable time frames, unobtainable after servers shut down, etc. -- the usual stuff).

Please, not this “unfair advantage” fig leaf: anyone with team account, more spare time or money on their hand has an “unfair” advantage over hundreds of thousands other players. There is nothing fair about leaderboards currently, trophy hunters aren’t competing in the same controlled environment with equal conditions for everyone.

I can appreciate your arguments, and I understand where you're both coming from here. 

@midgetstrawdog  You shouldn't have to risk getting banned by Sony though, to compensate for regional differences in what's available for download.  Regional leaderboards also exist.  It's a slippery slope.

@Se7en This is against the currently written rules.

Anyway, just throwing my two cents out the way I see it, either way PSNP wants to go, is fine by me.

it would seem that if people buy physical on the vita they can play whatever region they want, so my final two questions are, how many of the digital-only for specific store vita titles are there?...and are the people cheating the region lock getting their games for free?...

I'd say its a lot of work and hassle for the site to flag people using CFW to get trophies. The one criticism I would have is as someone else mentioned, you can't flag if you haven't played the game. And if its a game thats impossible to play without CFW then you can't ever get flagged for it by someone. I've seen this a few times for regular games, obscure stacks that I'm not about to go and buy just to flag someone. 

Sony take a pretty tough approach to CFW. If anyone remembers the flashed firmware days on the Xbox 360 all you got was a console ban. So you just copied your account onto a memory stick and got a new console Sony ban your account which means you lose all game purchases as well as your trophies. If you think about how many games that would mean losing along with hours and hours of gameplay then that would surely be enough to put the majority of people off doing this.

I say leave them to it and let Sony do their job banning them.

1 hour ago, SunnyCrappyYT said:

Maybe there is a way to have multiple accounts on PS Vita now? Wouldn't surprise me. 

EDIT: not possible (see next posts) 

Does anyone wonder if the "cfw hackers" maybe travel the world and obtained a VITA in a different region to play the game they loved again to show on their profile because they are just dedicated trophy hunters?

@OP: Maybe send messages to the people you mentioned in your first post before listing them. 

Edited by A1rPun

1 minute ago, A1rPun said:

Yeah it is possible already if you have multiple VITA systems. 

Does anyone wonder if the "cfw hackers" maybe travel the world and obtained a VITA in a different region to play the game they loved again to show on their profile because they are just dedicated trophy hunters?

@OP: Maybe send messages to the people you mentioned in your first post before listing them. 

It doesn't work that way.  Your account is still tied to a specific region. If you had multiple Vitas for each region, then each Vita would have totally separate accounts on them.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ProfBambam55 said:

it would seem that if people buy physical on the vita they can play whatever region they want, so my final two questions are, how many of the digital-only for specific store vita titles are there?...and are the people cheating the region lock getting their games for free?...

CFW allows running any software, including pirated copies of the game. But that's beside the point, someone wants to hack their devices it's their prerogative. MMDE already established It's not gonna fly on the leaderboards because site rules, though.

However this thread is about banning those CFW users outright, ie. some elements of the site would like to throw out people for having a hobby.

@B1rvine if I get to do playful jabs too I'm loving your reasoning, PSNP tracks close to 7000 trophy lists currently with no one beating but a fraction of them, and you want to ban people for having access to a dozen visual novels :D Unfair advantage! I can't wait to hear what you'll do to children living at home with siblings or *gasp* people who are unemployed!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jka121 said:

Can you explain what cfw is or something?

It's a modified operating system that replaces the official Sony's one on your console, enabling you do things on it that aren't possible on the edit: official operating system. Some people use it to edit their trophy database which irks some PSNP users ah so much, even if it isn't their trophy database that is being edited.

Edited by ars
forgot a word
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, FrumpleOrz said:

It doesn't work that way.  Your account is still tied to a specific region. If you had multiple Vitas for each region, then each Vita would have totally separate accounts on them.

Fair enough.. That being said you can't have multiple accounts on the SAME VITA system, which is used on ps3 and ps4 to gameshare.

23 minutes ago, Dav9834 said:

If I could have a jailbroken vita just to play psp games I missed, I would. But I wouldn't have any interest in anything else. I never got to play crisis core :shakefist:

I'm playing it right now on psp 3001 and it's awesome! I waited so many years to play it but it lived through all the hype I've put into it.

• Like 1

connecting to PSN using henkaku automatically risks a perma-ban, even for something as trivial as PSTV whitelisting

thing is, nobody seems to have been banned on FW 3.60+, so consequences for these people are nonexistent

philosophically, this should be permitted if Gonespy is

but i'm a salty fuck that they aren't getting banned, so yeah flag 'em